'Dil bolay boom boom'

Published Mar 22, 2011 12:32pm

One of my closest friends is from Delhi, but the country closest to my heart is Pakistan, therefore when it comes to the game of cricket, I want that the Cricket World Cup be lifted by nobody else but by Boom Boom Man. Sorry dost, I do not mean to imply like Brutus to Caesar 'it’s not that I love you less, but I love Rome more’, but simply that I would prefer that you stay away from the world cup, Ms. Tripathi

If there is only one thing Gora Sahib did correctly, it has to be the game of cricket. It is popularly believed that cricket evolved from a sport that was played by the house of King Edward I in the 1300s. It was played on low sheep pastures and the batsman’s job was to defend the sheep fence gate. Hence, I assume, the shape of the wicket and the bales that need to be defended in the modern day game.

The game has managed to survive for more than half-a-millennium, but then so has the English monarchy, making it one of the older games in the sports arena. My research lead me to believe that baseball brings its seeds from an, 'old English game of rounder’s and its cousin, the more formal and genteel game of cricket.’ Ah, cricket is a formal game, no wonder high tea with biscuits and cucumber sandwiches partners well with it.

Come this world cup I decided to watch a match with Ritu over a cup of tea and some homemade French biscuits, 'hey, I think we‘ve come to a point in our dosti where we can watch a cricket match together, say what?’

‘Maybe, which country yours or mine?’ she asked.

‘You tell me?’

‘I’m thinking India, maybe Pakistan, nahi yaar, neither. What do you think?’

I thought for a moment, and out came, ‘let’s watch India play South Africa,’ or 'maybe not’ said the righteous little lady sitting on my right shoulder, 'what if it compromises your friendship,’. I looked sharply to my right no one there, and then came a familiar voice from the left, 'duplicity, the art of true friendship, learn it and exploit it, it’ll do you good. You must watch it together because India will lose giving you the opportunity to do splits in your head with a forlorn expression.’

I hesitantly listened to the voice on the left, I pondered for a moment and smoothly said, 'Dear friend Ritu, because I consider you my friend I will graciously chose to watch an Indian match with you. I promise to enjoy it. '

Come Friday night, I packed my little bag and snaked to Ritu’s door. Once settled on the comfortable lounger I munched papri, nibbled French biscuits, sipped a delicious cup of tea and waited for my friend to lose steam, sounds devious and fun. ‘No guilt, all’s fair in love, war and sports,’ was my mantra for the night.

Hour to game time, I tried to occupy myself with magazines, B4U, CNN, the tsunami, idle chitchat, but nothing worked. Gnawing guilt, the voice on my right and the devil inside kept playing a game of hide and go seek. Who do I pay heed to? I felt like Hamlet.

Come game time my mind was consumed, so many conflicting thoughts, I felt like I was in an old Indian movie where the camera is spinning around the protagonist and there are loud conflicting voices coming from all directions. I needed some air.

Once outside I took some deep breaths and walked towards the edge of the railing. The view was mesmerizing, my friend’s house sits atop a hill and the whole city sparkled from below. The quiet night, absolute silence and then I heard it, the sound that gave me clarity, the solo of a little cricket, a brief pause, and then another solo cricket song from a different direction. The two then started croaking a duet! I had my answer.

My dear friend I need to leave. The simple fact, I want Pakistan to win the World Cup, it gives me real pleasure. I enjoy seeing India lose a cricket match, but it gives me real displeasure to see you sad, this is a contradiction in emotion but no hypocrisy, no duplicity. Therefore let me walk away lighthearted with a smile in my heart and joy sans guilt.

The next Pakistan match is tomorrow. I have learnt my lesson, I shall enjoy this one with a group of Pakistanis, no guilt, no complicated emotions, just one Nazia Hassan song -- Dil bolay boom, boom.

Bisma Tirmizi is a writer based in Las Vegas

The writer is a former Dawn staffer, currently a freelance journalist. She loves food, music and simple pleasures. She can be reached at food_stories@yahoo.com.

More From This Author

Food Stories: Sheer Khurma

After a month of strict abstinence, Eid-ul-Fitr is about feasting which is synonymous with the Sheer Khurma.

ashok sai
Mar 22, 2011 11:27am
I liked the narration, simply can't wait for the Quarter Finals to begin, already heart pumping increased...oh
Pradeep
Mar 22, 2011 11:33am
I am an indian and naturally, I support India. However, when pakistan is playing any other country, of course not incuding India, then they are the ones I cheer for (afterall Pakistanis are our people too). Then come bangalis (same arguement as before) and then srilankans (cousins). Then the WI (support anyone who has been discriminated against), then NZ and australia (as they are better than the other options). Idea is to keep England Last (ex colonial masters who raped our countries), SA second last (still angry about apartaid)
Hassam
Mar 22, 2011 11:52am
There may be no brain or soul involved in this article but there is a lot of heart and a lot of love. Cheers Bisma
Zaheer Arif
Mar 24, 2011 07:38am
Very nice Article. but i feel nice to see Pak, India Friendship. People have to do it and lets not let it to the Politicians. All the very best to BOOM BOOM.
Purab Sarhan
Mar 24, 2011 07:41am
I know it was just a joke by you. But I should mention. I am a patriot Pakistani, I love my cricket team. But when Tendulkar hites century I stand up of my seat and clap.
Reza
Mar 24, 2011 07:37am
Well Well Well its that time around in the worlcup where teams losing will go home and yes reading all the articles ablove its a strange feeling when its Inda Pakistan Match.I guess it has nothing to do with the past and the wars and what and what not its the same as with NZ and AUS or AUS ENG but yes i would tend to agree if the cup has to be fought between an asian country and a non asian my wish would be it rather be an asian country may it be Pakistan or even india so i hope India Wins today so we have a cracker of a semi final and i wish to see the crowd enjoying good cricket and applauding both the teams.
Zaheer Arif
Mar 24, 2011 07:31am
Controle yourself and be stable. by the way same with me :)) LoL
Sanghita
Mar 24, 2011 07:21am
That means whoever wins you will celebrate .. thats the spirits :)
RAJEEV PANICKER
Mar 24, 2011 06:37am
I am an Indian and my girl friend from Pakistan. Now we both are waiting to watch India vs Pakistan semi final. that wiil be very exciting match in the cricket history.
Nauman
Mar 24, 2011 06:26am
I am a Pakistani and love to see the Green shirts with success, Naturally i like the Pakistan to win the ICC world cup, if they couldn't then India must win it..... I do not want the ICC World cup to leave our region.... Keep praying guys
Meha Mathur
Mar 22, 2011 07:55am
HAHAHA. Great piece Bisma. I am an Indian, and my feelings about cricket have been more or less the same. I remember how low I felt when you won the world cup in 1992, and how elated I was when we defeated Pakistan in 2003 (as if we had already won the world cup). Until I befriended two Pakistanis and visited them in Lahore. I'm happy at the change it has led to: I was sad about India's 20:20 defeat, but was surprised that part of me was happy for my friends. And this time too, I am at peace. Maybe, every Indian should have a friend in Pakistan. It will be good for our heart during the world cup days.
M.A.Amin
Mar 24, 2011 03:15am
I liked the way you narrated it.
Makarand
Mar 24, 2011 03:15am
Very right... I am an Indian but will support pakistan against the arrogant Aussies!!!
Fan2
Mar 22, 2011 10:11am
Time for you to write a better article!!! hahaha
Ayaz Noor M
Mar 22, 2011 12:24pm
Records are meant to be broken sir! This time Pakistan's bowling looks very very threatening, the stability has come into batting as well. I wanna see Boom Boom raise the WC in his arms ! PAKISTAN ZINDABAD!
Bilal Khan
Mar 22, 2011 12:21pm
@Meha ... when India is playing against non Asian country I always pray for their win ... No matter how tense our relations are some times but India is still our neighbor... I really wish Pakistan wins the cup this time though its very doubtful by looking at Indian and South African teams batting strength but you never know just three to go :P
Ayaz Noor M
Mar 22, 2011 12:22pm
u support every team !! amazing lol
Tariq Shah
Mar 24, 2011 02:29am
Please grow up....!!!
Koaela
Mar 22, 2011 12:29pm
Why did you bother reading and commenting on it then! Hehe....save your time!
rich05
Mar 22, 2011 12:56pm
a very ordinary article, without any substance, just plain dramatic i have watched many games between India and Pakistan, with Pakistanis and we enjoyed no guilt feeling just cheering our teams, and after the game have a drink to either drowning our sorry or celebrating as the case maybe now i am in India, and Pakistani team enjoys a lot of support here, we want them to beat the other team but against India it is natural we want india to win, no guilt feeling about it, as every Pakistani wants Pakistan to win or Sri Lankan want Sri Lanka to win. dis going past quarters, aussie will cook our goose, i do pray i am wrong
RAJ
Mar 22, 2011 12:56pm
i dont like the world cup organised by icc. now ipl is more popular than any other series. so get ready to see the ipl where lot of passion and entertainment involved. So i am waiting to see the ipl XTRAVEGANJA...
Syed
Mar 23, 2011 08:36pm
I agree that on paper India has an edge over pakistan during last 6-10 years. But don't think you can judge teams chances over 4 matches played in WCs during 12 year span. You can say that India's current team and performance is better and more consistent compared to pakistan and based on that Pakistan will be underdog and if Pakistan did go on to win (if they play India in SF, India has to cross Australian hurdle first!) then on paper it would be considered a mini upset. Looking at Pakistan's form, tuning and body language during this tournament it is quite possible that they might prevail whoever they play against. If you want to look at history of Pakistan-India contest than Pakistan supremacy is clear and decisive about 65-35 ratio over large number of ODIs played over three decades all over the world. Even during last 8 years with Indian team clearly better on paper Pakistan have maintained 50-50 or better ratio with them. In short Pakistan has competed better with them in recent years compared to Indian team in 80s and 90s when Pakistan was the more powerful team.
Gautham
Mar 23, 2011 08:00pm
Of all the comments here, this one is the best! We are basically torn between our instinct and the choices we make when with sane mind. I wouldn't blame you if you actually dance when Tendulkar goes out for a duck. Just enjoy the game and savor the moment. Good luck for Pakistan, but I'm rooting for India. If India does not make it through, I'll cheer Pakistan.
Syed
Mar 23, 2011 03:26pm
Agree with you Rich. I had Indian roomates in early 90s and had lots of fun following and discussing cricket.
rahul
Mar 23, 2011 02:53pm
I have someone in pakistan(karachi) who is "more than a friend" to me(i really don't have even a single friend here in India)..but still there is a lot of hard feelings inside me against pakistan and i want to see india as a winner... if not india then any other team but not pakistan....i know this kind of weired thought can only give me pain....and i want to change this.... i think we should not make it a matter of pride...let the best team win......hatred can only give us pain but love is the only way to peace...LET'S PLAY CRICKET IN A GOOD POSITIVE SPIRIT CONGRATES TEAM PAKISTAN FOR ENTERING INTO THE SEMIS...
Kumar
Mar 23, 2011 12:08pm
Pakistan's bowling in this world cup may bring them to final to play against South Africa, other team with excellent bowling capabilities. Good Luck to Pakistan team to become the World Cup champions of 2011.
RAJ
Mar 23, 2011 08:45am
IPL ROCKS
Nabigha Nasser Masood
Mar 23, 2011 07:51am
hey Bisma, great article......I fully agree a game of cricket is best watched with fellow countrymen otherwise hard to say what may happen :D Both India & Pakistan are the spice & life of the game........it would be no fun even if one of them was not there at the quarter final stage......looking for some green shirts here in jeddah! keep Going Pakistan! we will WIN :)
Nabigha Nasser Masood
Mar 23, 2011 07:41am
hey Bisma, I was sooo happy to read your article! inshallah We will WIN!! I agree cricket can only be watched with green shirts :) looking for some here in Jeddah too!
Saqib
Mar 23, 2011 05:02am
Nice Article Bisma and i think it's quite a natural thing. Being a Pakistani i pray for my country that they return home with Trophy. Amen! And i'm really impressed by the tone you people (subcontinentals) used above. It's really appreciating that we're doing something beyond war and hatred. Wishing my team very bestest of luck. Pakistan Zindabad!
sahil
Mar 22, 2011 07:50am
waste of time. there is no brain or soul involved in this article.
Musstanser
Mar 22, 2011 08:32am
Interesting thoughts but I have felt different. Having watched many matches with some good friends from across the border in different places of the world, I think you enjoy it the best when you favour different teams. It sort of gives you in-stadium feeling. And the sort of love and respect many Indians have for Pakistani's is really encouraging. One friend of mine was like a die-hard fan of "Marina Khan", they love the two Shoaibs, Pakistani dramas and they are the most helpful desis around the wolrd :). Good luck to boom boom. NOTE TO BOOM BOOM: Please do not deny Shoaib Akthar the last chance to win you the cup.
Kaushal
Mar 22, 2011 08:40am
hi Bisma, i am Indian but my wife is from Pakistan and these days i find myself in the same situation as u mentioned here, sitting next to her watching Pakistan playing so and so in the world cup.But let me tell u its hard for both of us seeing each others team doing good job on the fields(honestly).Well at the end of the game we smile at each other and says its just a game or whoever wins what we gonna achieve? But let me tell u at heart its a WAR. And I always pray for Indian victory(doesn't matter who the opponent is)....haha.
Madeeha
Mar 22, 2011 08:46am
Very nice article. Love Pakistan.
Raheel
Mar 22, 2011 09:02am
It's said that as a Pakistani, a person has two favourite teams. 1) Pakistan. 2) Every Team playing against India. Jokes aside, I would support India against arrogant, scornful Aussies. (Pre-match thoughts; who knows I start dancing when Tendulkar gets a duck :P)
Hussain Nasir
Mar 22, 2011 09:17am
I think India is better than Pakistan in World cups. See India has not lost a single match against Pakistan in any WC. In this WC also India is hot favourite...Good luck Pakistan.
Mansur from Namibia.
Mar 22, 2011 09:19am
Not a good article...nothing substancial..just ajje bhajee..LOL
ahq Hadi
Mar 22, 2011 09:23am
well said Bisma...sab se pehlay pakistan... Here where i live in Sierra LeOne, we have a lOt Of Iindian friends. DOesn't matter where yOu live, the HOmeLand beats in Our hearts...tu jO nahi ha tu kuch b nahi ha... Let's pray that this again is gOing tO be a Pak WOrld Cup....amen
ali
Mar 22, 2011 09:33am
nice comments meha.. it feels good to see indians and pakis get along.. cheers.. nice blog @ bisma..
Fatima Nasir
Mar 22, 2011 09:28am
hahaha.......nice read this one! I face the same situation sometimes..:D
Aban Usmani
Mar 22, 2011 04:59pm
A beutifuil write up and description of conflicting emotions. People who find this writeup bland probably were looking for a cricket lovers opinion. This is probably whjo loves cricket because of Pakistan. A four off the bat of Peiterson or a Six off Desilva doesn't mean much to her but Shahid Afridi and Misbah do tickle her fancy I love your expression of emotions and the ease with which you accept your emotional fallibility
Simbabili
Mar 22, 2011 09:48am
Great thoughts. Wonderful idea to have a friend across the border. My best wishes to you Sir. (But may I still (fully) support Team Pakistan)!
Marina Khan
Mar 22, 2011 09:51am
@sahil I agree with you. Article is just waste of time.
yaduveer
Mar 22, 2011 09:54am
Agree with u Meha. Every Indian shud have a frnd in Pakistan. I have one in Lahore and another in Islamabad. I hope to meet them soon.
M. Asghar
Mar 22, 2011 10:13am
This is a charming chatter, but watching a match of cricket is an exclusive and overwhelming experience, where one is completely one with oneself. However, there is a need that the Indians and Pakistanis must learn to compete as a concerto piece od music throbbing and dribbling in an uplifting harmony.
Ayyaz Ahmad
Mar 26, 2011 10:13am
I am a Pakistani and love to see the Green shirts with success, Naturally i like the Pakistan to win the ICC world cup, if they couldn’t then India must win it….. I do not want the ICC World cup to leave our region…. Keep praying guys inshallah pak win the world cup pakistan zindabad