Dear Shaista Wahidi,

Today, I had the good (mis)fortune of catching you on your popular morning show ‘Utho Jaago Pakistan’ on a private entertainment channel. For someone who claims to be a doctor and possess a modicum of intelligence, your absolute lack of the latter coupled with your appalling sense of style was somewhat surprising to me. The subject under discussion on your show was (…wait for it) ‘maasis’ – maids if you will – or the kaam walis who come to our houses every day to dust, clean, mop, sweep  and, if we’re really lucky, sometimes cook as well. The show, supposedly, was a ‘tribute’ to the efforts that these women put into our homes. Instead, it turned out to be a strange, confounding mix of political incorrectness and distaste. Where do I begin, really? Perhaps your choice of wardrobe that was supposed to be an apt representation of the kaam walis with colours ranging from orange to pink and, let us not forget, laced with intricate, expensive embroidery. Or the fact that you chose to wear your eye make-up ’70s style or the painfully obvious (read HUGE) gold nose ring that kaam walis wear all the time.

But this is television and if you want jaw-dropping ratings, then you have to glam it up. So I’m willing to let go of your wardrobe malfunction because, after all, there is no business like show business. What I do have a problem with, however, is the mockery that you chose to make out of the women you were paying homage to. Talking in a distinct Punjabi drawl and acting out your blonde fantasies during the kaam wali ‘role-playing’ that you were engaged in, is not funny. It’s offensive.

Playing coyly with your dupatta and saying things like ‘meri dooty (duty) hai abhi’ does not mean you have a good sense of humour nor is it saluting the effort put in by that particular category of labourers. It just means you are having a few laughs at the expense of a large, underprivileged section of the society – and being politically incorrect. Interspersing the mindless banter conversation that you were having with your guests about the need for a ‘mohalla committee’ spearheaded by your friendly neighbourhood aunties to safeguard the rights of the maids does not mean you’re being profound. If anything, it serves as a flimsy cover-up for your otherwise irreverent take on the subject of maids and the problems that they are faced with. Worse still, is the fact that you invited a maid as a guest on your show and talked about how ‘her kind’ was prone to theft and gossiping, and are inclined to switch jobs/loyalties for a mere 500-rupee increase in their salary. Your condescension and ability to make fun of someone who’s already at the receiving is astounding to me. You are supposed to be a role model, Ms Wahidi – the queen of morning television, as they say. Countless women watch you with breathless anticipation every morning hoping to imbibe your pearls of wisdom into their lives in some way. At least throw them a bone, if not a potential gemstone. And, if you don’t have anything meaningful to say, then please don’t say anything at all.

Snarkily yours,

Samina

Samina Wahid Perozani is a freelance journalist.

More From This Author

An affair to remember

Growing up, we didn’t have a VCR, cable, satellite dish or any of those fancy things in my house. My parents, who...

Eid: A guilt-free celebration?

To say that Ramazan this year has been depressing and heart-breaking would be an understatement. With a plane crash,...

salman Atif
Dec 10, 2010 08:36am
Well I don't know if she really did all this or not but anyone taking pride in humiliation of others is not welcome. Its really annoying and distasteful to say the least, leave alone the kind of impression that it leaves of the person doing it. As for Samina I don't know about your makeup but that part was slightly personal
mansoor
Dec 10, 2010 09:46am
dear nida, i agree with u cent percent but give it a thought, no matter what we say about this woman, or for that matter any other anchor, it makes no difference to them, they get their hefty stripends in millions and given a free hand to mock anyone and everyone without doing any soul searching deep down.
Goga Nalaik
Dec 10, 2010 09:49am
I don't watch such TV shows. Goga Nalaik
Syed Rafat Ali Jafri
Dec 13, 2010 01:52pm
I think all the channels are under the influnece of Indian Media . I think though Shaista may be a doctor , there may have been a serious lacking in her training as an anchor. I think Nadia was worse but she is no better either. Geo and other channels are just money oriented and hence dont care about the quality of the show. I think Shaista should be selective, she should run her show only on weekends not every day as people get bored easily, she should concentrate on one job as here she is co producer, has her own wardrobe besides an anchor.
Hafsa
Dec 13, 2010 02:20pm
Thank you.
Owais
Dec 14, 2010 07:26am
Makhdoom sahab you are creating a wall by saying that "One community who migrated from outside and who received every kind of assistance from Pakistani people and now they think themselves to be owners of this country" . Pakistan is everyone's country who live here. All of us should change our mentality first before arguing on others..what Ms Shaista did was wrong but stop spreading hate among us... Our religion Islam also teaches us to love and respect everyone irrespect of language and colour. Pakistan Zindabad!!
Shahab
Dec 10, 2010 09:36am
It,s a wake up call to all immature presenters like shaista wahdi , Know your responsibilities cause they can still effect a lot of viewers
Mustafa Shairani
Dec 10, 2010 09:33am
you have hit the nail on the head Ms Samina - very nicely portrayed what many of us feel but are too not as articulate as yourself - i kinda disagree with you on points you raised about her dress sense cuz i think that
fazeelat jahan
Dec 10, 2010 08:58am
It was a terse, objective and a very apt analysis of Ms. Wahidi's show. Loved reading it. Kudoos!!
Sardar Mohkim Khan
Dec 10, 2010 09:00am
I hope she reads this and takes it seriously.. but wont that mean a possible boot from her job?
Nida
Dec 10, 2010 09:12am
I didnt see this particular show but i'm shocked at the details described here. Ms Wahidi is a loud mouth & really hardly ever has something wise to say at all. The media channel shud definitely think abt dumping this so called 'queen', as audience we dont want to start our mornings with a bad taste pls.
Mushefa Islam
Dec 10, 2010 09:07am
I agree with the writer. Morning shows are generally, with the exception of a very few, totally inane and just a way of filling in air time. The hosts of such shows lack intellect and giggle and talk incessantly without having anything worthwhile to say. This lady , Shaista Wahidi is no exception. Perhaps if she practised her vocation; medicine, it would have been better for her.
Wali
Dec 10, 2010 09:06am
I absolutely agree with you and besides that she doesn't have the persona of hosting a morning show because of her cheap jokes and the way she behaves which she thinks is somewhat liked by the audience but that isn't the case.
Shahbaz
Dec 10, 2010 08:58am
meow!
Madiha
Dec 10, 2010 08:58am
i really appreciate the above letter and approach of the writer. well said Samina i agree.
Khurram Awan
Dec 10, 2010 09:00am
BRAVO!!!!.. finally someone spoke up .... braaaavo..>!!!! ..!!!!
satwat
Dec 10, 2010 09:04am
i totally agree with you Samina.You raised valid points.well written.
Tania
Dec 10, 2010 08:52am
that was awesome! i wonder it shahista will actually get it (if she reads it that is)
Urooj Khokhar
Dec 10, 2010 08:50am
Dear Samina Wahid, I read your article but could't understand one thing. Why people like you have to stand against something which apparently and otherwise not at all negative. Shaista Wahidi is a Doctor by profession and she really is .. what does that statement of yours means "someone who claims to be a doctor and possess a modicum of intelligence" Your this statemnt means you dont have any objection with that particular show "about maids" actually you are attaking her personality. Is there any personal grudge involved? Samina why cant we appreciate out people, why we have to stir bad taste into everything all the times. Shaista Wahidi is doing a great job. She is a great person. She speaks well. She has got the talent. She is coming with new ideas. People enjoy watching her. She is a very positive personality. DOES THIS ALL ENNOY YOU? if it does then this is shameful. we need to think positive and act positive. What taste you are trying to give to this morning show in people's mind? STOP THIS CAMPAIGN .. it is simply useless. one advice please, start using your energies and talent for the development and progress of Pakistan not creating bad taste out our own people.
fatima
Dec 10, 2010 08:49am
I'm totally aghasted by such arrogant mindless behaviour of Mrs. Shaista. Heartless tribute to domestic help. To make fun of someone is heinous and I salute Ms. Samina for voicing my voice. I have not seen the show because I am already fed up with the nonsense banter without any value addition to our society. But I'm really sad to read that a helpless lady was a guest who was treated so rudely. Shame on the host. And thank you Ms. Samina, from my heart and soul. May God give you more sucess and may God give happiness to you and to that helpless lady guest, may she can hear that we are with her.
Hiba Fazl
Dec 10, 2010 08:45am
Ms. Samina's open letter has indeed come at the right time. I am a morning show follower, not one in paricular but as I tuned in to Ms. Wahidi's show I was totally disturbed by what I saw. Agreed that she ended up doing more harm than doing any good to those the show was dedicated to. I humbly suggest Ms. Wahidi to make sure that she has read enough about the subject matter she intends to take up in her future shows and is aware of the harm she may unintentionally end up doing to the 'cause'. Live shows are not overly scripted so there is alwasys a fear of going 'off-track'. And the same goes for the entire team of her show.
hassan
Dec 10, 2010 08:36am
Thanks Saima, finally someone from our society rise up to the occasion & mention the true picture of these minor fractions of Television media. Overall Media is doing a great job in transforming our society, but some fractions has taken up the task to use them for their utmost interests. Let me conclude The point which you have taken up, that these fractions are just putting golden covering of glamor for their TRPs. Infact talkshows which are supposed to be more topic oriented & conclusive, they are becoming more meaninglessly glamorous & time wasting. Even if you take serious subjects in these talk shows it ends up with nothing but a half n hour or hour useless talking & people which are brought in are just here for time pass or increasing their face values Senior media journalist must step in & change the situation. Today media is the golden platform for us the use into best interest of our society, country & humanity. Just like these few people are mentoring people minds to be get out of their skins to follow a certain lifestyle, its the high time for some serious people to put the effort and convey the message in more meaningful way. Of course many television channels don't intercept the ideas which lacks MASALA or glamor in order to attract sponsorship and viewer ships but it will take time and it can be only achieved by professional media persons to tune the minds of many people who are waiting to get educated.
akhtar
Dec 10, 2010 08:45am
Samina, Your open letter to Shaista is harsh and you seem to be biased. I did not watch this "maids" episode but if she brought some one from below poverty line in her show other than the show business colleagues and celebrities, let us give her a break. I do agree with you that being an educated woman she should add positive value by her body language and speech. She slips into street language which is becoming frequent more and more in her shows. She should maintain her original grace and style. Being an icon and watched by Pakistani women locally and abroad , she has a responsibilty to improve our woman's cultural lot. I understand that the ratings of a show depends on popularity but how she will manage to achieve this task is up to her abilities. Unfortunately the decision is not all her as there are producers and others. I also despise the callers in almost all morning shows who firstly seem to be chosen few calling again and again - God knows how they access the lines so quickly, secondly they spend all their time praising about the host's clothing and make up. I hope Shaista will take a lead by changing this stereo type style of her show and start doing some sober and constructive work for our society.
Absar Taqvi
Dec 10, 2010 08:37am
Hi. I am not a huge follower and fan of such time-filling morning shows; none fulfills the objective, not even of portraying the ostentatious hosts as role models. I deeply appreciate the writer for taking into account such a bizarre display of attitude and the act of throwing all cautions to wind by someone, I presumed, one of the better and educated ladies in the business. We don't live in a society where imitation is ever taken a tribute, it is considered boisterous. So if it was done to 'reflect' that category of labor, it is not appreciated. After reading the write-up I shall continue my silent boycott of news channels and ludicrous shows.
Numair Abbasi
Dec 10, 2010 09:55am
Someone PLEASE send it to her. That woman needs to read this,
Aziz
Dec 10, 2010 08:37am
Dear Samina; After reading this, I must say that your writing skills are awesome, you really have the potential to portray things your way through your writing. That is commendable! To me, it looks like a great attempt to be famous and spread your writing skills around the globe in a jiffy, to be notified and that was a cheap blow, by taking a unethical way of targeting some individual (who is a celebrity) to be famous. I think you could have done it in a much better and a professional way by keeping it private yet open without naming any individual or a show. Last but not the least, I personally think that there are hundreds of thousands of people around us everyday, who are the unfortunate targets of Society, Nature, their circumstances and betrayed by their own fate, who are dieing everyday unheard, they are the ones who needs a writer or a columnist to highlight and bring attention to their problems. (unfortunately they are not famous). There are always two sides of the coin, what you have highlighted are all pessimist opinions, but to me the other optimistic side of this was also appreciable, at least she chose a topic or a particular society which is poor, under paid, considered as low cast yet, they are the important parts and helpers of our daily lives but still being abused in many other ways. This is my personal opinion, I hope no one would take it offensively. Regards, Aziz
Sarmad Hashmi
Dec 10, 2010 08:27am
It's just like you were sitting in my mind when I was seeing the show about the "kaam-Walis" and I was having a conversation with my father that, "Is ka tou dress hi thousands mien ho ga...how can one show sympathy to the laborers if she herself is wearing a dress worth rupees 50,000 or so? She could have dressed in a simple way." I don't really know what she wanted to show. Today it was about the policemen/women.. And she was dressed like a policewomen. I don't know what was the purpose of doing all this. Anyways, I loved the letter you wrote. I have a great respect for you. I am feeling like giving a hug to you. Not merely because of this letter, but because of you coming forward and writing about this matter.
Hamad Ali
Dec 10, 2010 08:26am
I really like it, the way samina wahid describes the feelings of pplz who watch the show - and I can bet on it that the the popularity graph of so caled Morning Queen ( I don't call her atleast) is now started traveling towards decline. Pls I don't mean to to criticise in person but I too don't want the insult of such low profile professions- Hamad
ratamaka
Dec 10, 2010 08:17am
lets not talk about them (including mr. sahir), they dont deserve a bit of attention...
Hina A
Dec 10, 2010 08:18am
Very Well Written Samina! I never watched the show but reading this article made me pretty sad,how is it that such hosts get away with such cheap acts?I guess she just showed her stupid mentality! Very Pathetic.
sabahat
Dec 10, 2010 08:21am
thank you so much for this letter!!! i think the whole showbiz industry should boycott her. she is asking the massi that they leave their jobs for just Rs. 500.... what about her??/ she left one channel for another. shame on her!!! she is the most annoying creature on Pak tv, along with her wannabee srk brother. they both need to go!!!
Khumar Raza
Dec 10, 2010 08:21am
Only if our media ppl knew their responsibility!!!!
Huma
Dec 10, 2010 08:09am
Gooood article!!! Agree with you!
Yawar Shah
Dec 16, 2010 03:11pm
We should applaud Dr. Shaista for hosting the morning show, which requires good personality and knowledge on topics of interest to the viewers. She could be more effective if she is natural, just be herself. Also cut down on the gaudy decor, and plates of cakes and pastries put infront of the guests. They can have a party after the show. She should not take viewers comments negatively, but welcome them to make her show more popular. We wish her all the best.
umar hayat khan
Dec 14, 2010 07:56am
I do not watch these shows as most of the morning shows are without any topic or thought. it was a time when tv shows were ethical and linguistic guide for common people. not only wahidi but majority of the ladies for example Ms Aisah Sana host of PTV morning show are with such a strange accent of language which distorts rather to build good accent. these hosts need training as how to speak out in public.
Sehrish
Dec 13, 2010 12:59pm
That was the most artistically and wonderfully crafted letter i've ever had my lucky fortune to come across :D i salute u lady, for the time you took out to write ths...and i whole heartedly pray that the person u were refering to gets a chance to read this. Excellent work :)
tauqeer abbas
Dec 13, 2010 09:40am
Good write up Samina...
Nameless
Dec 13, 2010 11:57am
I remember her first ever TV appearance on her own show on Indus (Im not exactly sure) where she invited a guy from Bahadurabad Karachi who healed people by Quranic means like reciting something then blowing over water and giving the water to the patient. She had invited some witnesses of that man who all belonged to very well off families and she was also all praises for the aged and decent looking man. Then after four episodes she brought four guests including the buzurg, one homeopathic, one normal doctor and one hakeem. All three made fun of buzurg and his ways and Shaista was deeply involved in making fun of him infront of him. Whether that buzurg was a fake or real is of no concern. In one episode she was appearing as if she was stunned and immensely surprised at the curing way of the buzurg and in another she made fun of him. Purely hypocritical.
Yacyr
Dec 14, 2010 01:29am
Provocative read, indeed. Hoping that the recipient undertake the message in true spirits ... i hope its not intended to demonize the lady herself, but the way she behaved or behaves particularly. Hoping you make amends in your next shows. Thanks
Ali
Dec 14, 2010 01:59am
All her shows are waste of time. She clearly displays a lack of knowledge of any given subject and to top it all looks cheap.
Erum Khalid
Dec 13, 2010 12:18pm
Dear Samina, It is refreshing and heartening to know that there are people out there who realise the complete lack of professional and educated presenters in Pakistani television. This is not just about Shaista Wahidi, be it Nadia Khan, Sahir Lodhi or any of the many morning show hosts there are...the bottom line is that they are pandering to the masses who apparentl lap this kind of drivel up!
sahar
Dec 14, 2010 04:42am
well.... i kinda agree with you. I dont even like Nadia but still, she is better choice then Ms. Wahidi..
Ansari
Dec 13, 2010 10:50am
I couldn't agree any more than what TK has said for Shaista Wahidi. Not only this partcular episode of Kaamwali, all the previous shows lack decency and intellect. I''ll not be far out and on the contrary befitting by describing the Shaista morning show as "OOT PATANG" Show.
Maryam
Dec 13, 2010 09:58am
running a live tv show every morning is a responsibility ...n shaista sud realize it... Shaista....stop being fake...n start taking things positively... she is sooo overr...i hate her..
Momina
Dec 14, 2010 04:25am
Very well written. *applause* Morning shows have such great potential to reach out to an audience that will readily respond to them, but in Pakistan, the whole opportunity is pretty much boot-kicked out the window.
Naushad Shafkat
Dec 14, 2010 04:36am
Sorry Mr. Mustafa but I do not see who you are referring to when you say 'even men are now...'. Men? Dr. Shaista, some neighborhood aunties, a maasi referred to are all females.
Makhdum Ali
Dec 14, 2010 04:59am
I normally do not see such talk shows due to obvious reasons that such shows usually disgrace the people of Pakistan I mean Punjabis, Sindhies, Baluchs and Pashtuns. On e community who migrated from outside and who received every kind of assistance from Pakistani people and now they think themselves to be owners of this country and others as of some lower status. I strongly object to the behaviour of Dr Shaista in treating Punjabi women working class and the Punjabi language in a derogatory manner. I demand an apology from her for showing insulting and derogatory behaviour to these women, who were her guests at the show. I also appreciate Mohtarma Samina Wahid for highlitening her aweful and hateful attitude.
Rashid Omer
Dec 14, 2010 06:57am
I used to respect the lady Shaista Wahidi a lot when she was doing a meaningful work, perhaps three four years ago. But now her work has become just a symbol of "ITRANA" So is the brother.
Maryam
Dec 14, 2010 07:06am
someone please make Shaista Wahidi read this letter.... i hope she takes it positively and acts on the adivces of people........so that we can be saved from her torture..........
daman
Dec 24, 2010 03:59pm
Hello Shaista ji, I am an Indian/American and catch your mornig show once in a while. I am a fan of yours inspite of being a doctor(professional) you are a very interesting Anchor/Hostess for a TV show. Keep up the good work. I see you have quite a few TV/Movie personalities on your show you should also invite a few bollywood TV/Movie as it will bring both the countries together. Once again all the best and good luck for your show!
Karim Alam
Dec 13, 2010 07:38am
Aneela, I have made a suggestion.
TK
Dec 13, 2010 08:41am
It was shocking to hear how she demeaned the female labour class by potraying that she the (maid)'s husband is a jobless 'good for nothing' guy and that she (the maid) maintains an affair with some driver (sheeda)!! How offending can she get? This was a mis-respresentation of females from the labour class. The female labour class deserves an apology from her! Other than that, she lacks the wit and the intellect to start a decent conversation. Watched her 3 shows and found it extremely boring!
Maria
Dec 15, 2010 07:38am
That is seriously what comes to my mind when i hear about these point-less morning shows.
Sidra Kaleem
Dec 14, 2010 08:20am
i think about writing the same thing to these women everyday....uff im soo happy someone wrote this.....hats off...i hope it makes a difference!!! keep up the goodwork!
Sidra Kaleem
Dec 14, 2010 08:21am
i think about writing the same thing to these women everyday....uff im soo happy some one wrote this.....hats off...i hope it makes a difference....keep up the good work...
MOIZ AHMAD
Dec 10, 2010 10:05am
Samina......... Hats off to you...... these sister/brother duo (shaista and sahir) both think they are are going to change the world...........no one ever spoke about her today you did ..... BRAVO
Behzad
Dec 10, 2010 10:07am
I agreed with you. Its a good letter and Shaista should mend her style
Yak
Dec 13, 2010 06:58am
I totally agree with you Kamran Usman.
ReebZ
Dec 10, 2010 10:08am
I didnot watch the particular show but writer seems to be biased here. She has tried to attack the personality in every possible way. Whatever she wears in not our business.we can only target media persoalities or anyone like this if you can prove any of their action unethical.I donot expect such writings on dawn blog atleast.
Zulekha
Dec 15, 2010 05:32am
There is one talk show host who carries herself with aplomb and also talks sense and that is Savera Nadeem on Aaj TV. The shows conducted in the past in PTV morning shows should be reviewed as they serve as a good example of how a morning show should be conducted - the lady hosts of those shows researched their topics and spoke sense. All TV channels should review their morning shows and for God's sake stop the adulatory remarks displayed on flyers on the shows even the cooking shows - aap bahut pyari lagti hain etc etc . Highly disgusting and out of context .
Saqib Rashid
Dec 10, 2010 10:22am
It is a shame that some people have never seen or realized the effort poor people make to earn their living. They try to make fun of poor hardworking people to entertain themselves and their likes. The masi
murtaza
Dec 10, 2010 10:22am
Very welll written samina it would be better if u said all that in her live show by calling her.
NG
Dec 10, 2010 10:30am
I happened to watch that program too and I had not watched Dr. Wahidi much before but knew that she was popular. watching her that day left me wondering for reasons, she acted like someone with a below average social skills and intellect, not befitting for a show host at the much cherished morning show.
tom
Dec 10, 2010 10:32am
great article Samina.
Fahad Akhtar
Dec 10, 2010 10:32am
Should I summarize this article about Mrs Wahidi, "She is a perfect miss-fit"!
Tahira
Dec 10, 2010 10:37am
A good but limited analysis of what Dr. Shaista Wahidi has done so far in her morning shows on the two channels. As a nation we foucs more on faults and think less of the positive contribution by any individual be it me or the person who has written this article. While highlighting such aspects we must control the harshness in our words since our goal should be improvement and not condemning anyone. Though i do agree to (some extent )what the writer is trying to say here however i think this article is written with a preconceived notion that women on media (specially talk show hosts) are pretty girls/aunties with no brains! i think we devalue their contribution by labelling them like this. Media personalities must also recognize the responsibility they carry on their shoulders to inspire public. A little more dignity and empathy wouldnt make anyone less of a privileged human here. Regards
murtaza
Dec 10, 2010 10:41am
Totally agreed , I think u should said all that in her live show by calling her.
Amina Ahmad
Dec 10, 2010 10:45am
I just want to add that the Script Writer and the Channel should know their responsibility and Ms wahdi should also concentrate on the Script being a WELL-EDUCATED person that what she is going to represent. They are actually degrading their own audience. Thumbs Up Samina
ibraheem
Dec 10, 2010 11:00am
great Article I agree about Samina Wahid Perozani is a freelance journalist.
Farah
Dec 10, 2010 11:08am
i have never submitted any review or comment on any kind of TV show.this is the first time i have come across a real non-dramatic review. I fully second samina here & i think at least 85% of this show is a wastage of time. She needs to improveeeeee alot!
maqsood
Dec 10, 2010 11:09am
i fully agree with saima, i think its wastage of time to watch such program, may be people think its their talent but its something else and i do go into it. these show biz people have very certain life and they always having this superior complexity that they are perfect people. these people do not have moral values and respect of relations. glamorizing things have made them popular in our country but when you will talk with such show biz people, you would not find anything inspiring you.
Syed Waseem Ahmed
Dec 10, 2010 11:10am
Yeah Ms Samina I totally agree with you the way she is hosting her show its really a BAD and Nonsensical I hope that this program should be stop by Magmt of GEO.
Noor
Dec 10, 2010 11:11am
we all should join hands to raise voice against those who enjoy 'good taste' at the cost of cultural and social sensitivities. If objective of satire was positive social change, I don't think people would raised their voice. It is unfortunate that some people find the heart to mock the poor, while at the same time benefiting from their skills and labour.
Maaz Moazzam
Dec 10, 2010 11:34am
Tha article is really good and it has be written if some one do some thing like that.
AJAY
Dec 10, 2010 11:50am
It seems the show is waste of time,but looking at reactions here everyone seems to be love wasting time there.I think no body was waiting for your comments on TV show for first time.
Aisha Sarfraz
Dec 10, 2010 12:06pm
Agreed Samina. Dr Shaista Wahidi is such a bad host, She doesn't understand what is she is talking about most of the time. Her conversations are usually meaningless and her jokes are silly. That's why I had stopped watching her morning shows on ARY. I can't believe GEO didn't find any better host than Shaista.
Adnan
Dec 10, 2010 12:11pm
This letter should somehow reach Miss Show off as well. Thumbs up Ms. SWP
Asif (Newcastle, UK)
Dec 10, 2010 12:12pm
Very well written. I always wondered why people have to watch these morning shows? Don't they have anything good to do? Why do these so-called 'morning-queens' sitting at every channel in the morning doing
Kamran Chughtai
Dec 10, 2010 12:17pm
Hi All, Well to start with I must put that I ain't a TV person and never bothered watching it because of the obvious reasons put on by the author above. I appreciate a time taking effort as its an honest effort to let someone know of their hideous truth about the factor they try to promote, however its my first ever comment on any community blogs around. I went through a friends profile on facebook and read this blog. I must say its a disgrace to the people who aren't only going to give a tribute to the people deserving but to sell an entertainment to the rest of the community. I am very much disappointed myself as peopel like myslef do never take interest in such activities but only conincedently they come across some issues like this and get disappointed repeatedly. I don't even know the person we are talking about but I appreciate my dear journalist who wrote this column and appreciate the people taking part on it.
Ali
Dec 10, 2010 12:23pm
I did not watch the particular show we are discussing. However, I have seen plenty of Dr Shahista's show. I beleive she is doing a wonderful job. Atleast she is not acting like other media people whos job is only to depress people or dismotivate the public. She is bringing smile to faces. Keep up the good work. Again i did not see the last show, so if there was any discrimination then smile on the face at the cost of discrimination is also not acceptable. Regards, Ali
Shabbir Ahmed
Dec 10, 2010 12:25pm
I agree with the comments of the writer with addition that unprofessional anchors are in morning shows. They lack in research & knowledge of the subject.
Mansoor Warraich
Dec 10, 2010 12:26pm
I want to say that we should not marginalize the host of a morning talk show. These shows are not the brain child of the host alone but the producer and the channel it self. The whole game is to get higher rating for the channel and the ultimate goal is to make more money. In this process if some one stumbles , it is natural. Ms Wahidi is not a PhD and has a limited intelectual faculty. She can falter some times but being the host of a popular show, she should be ready for positive criticism. With feed back, i hope she will improve but if she is suffering from SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS, then we can see some problem ahead.
Abdul Mutaal
Dec 10, 2010 12:28pm
very exaggerated opinion by the writer,
Amna
Dec 16, 2010 08:09am
I agree with your view point as i also like sawera morning show....she speaks sensibly.
MONA
Dec 10, 2010 12:35pm
u like her its ur opinion...if some one does not like her opnion...every one is free in his or her opinion.....as far as shaista wahidi is concern no dought she is doing a tremendious job...but mornings shows are gatting bore day by day...
Arsalan Haneef
Dec 10, 2010 12:36pm
The article is an eye opener for every one. Actually, when people untrained in representing society get to represent larger social issues, they fail. This is not true only of such shows as Ms. Wahidi does. You will agree with me that most of the so called anchors bevave somewhat identifically while handling sensitive issues. In a country where even people can act as doctors without necessary qualification, I dont know how we can get the right people to represent us----at every level in sociey. Arsalan Haneef
MONA
Dec 10, 2010 12:38pm
noor i think u havent watch that program...first u should watch that episiode then comment....
Arsalan
Dec 10, 2010 12:38pm
Shahista is doing a great job...
usman
Dec 10, 2010 12:43pm
well written letter and i agree with most of people. Its duty of a presenter to show soberness and honesty while selecting any topic and thereof their acts should be sensible at least while at show. please don't make business of every issue.
Agha Ata (USA)
Dec 10, 2010 12:48pm
I wish you had sent this letter directly to her instead of having it published it in the newspaper.
Faysal
Dec 10, 2010 12:58pm
I have not seen the show, neither have any idea about the writer background. Even through, I do agree with Mansoor sahab, that the host is not the brain child behind and there is money behind such programs. Have we ever try to understand that, schooling is the platform from where we can bring the change to our society, not the TV shows or journalism. After all it is money what we talk about, that is why maids are maids, host is host and journalist is a journalist, period.
xakib
Dec 10, 2010 01:00pm
:D ... here we go ... almost 95% 'male' comments on 100% female topic ... The writer said "countless women watch you with breathless anticipation every morning hoping to imbibe your pearls of wisdom into their lives in some way".... however comments indicates she has clearly underestimated 'male' interests hats off to our society
faraz
Dec 10, 2010 01:05pm
I undoubtedly second you Samina..!! it is nice to know someone can see beyond what is being shown !!
Ghulman
Dec 10, 2010 01:43pm
give me my 5 minutes back!!!!
sara
Dec 10, 2010 01:54pm
I had no clue that the woman is a MD....gosh!! she has no clue what so ever what she is saying or doing and she is NOT the queen of Morning chat show...They need to put a stop on these morning shows. It seems more of a fight for the fame then I guess that is the name of the game in the show biz world.
Noor Kazi (USA)
Dec 12, 2010 07:43am
Great job Samina. These shows are all about make up and dress and who is the designer and I am so upset with the Pakistani women. Do they have any constructive things to do in their life or just start their morning so meaningless.
Rahim Munir Soomro
Dec 13, 2010 01:06am
Samina, this article is of no use. A complete waste of time. What a reader can achieve reading about shaista, we all know how she is, we all know about her shows and slangs you mentioned in the article.
touseef ali
Dec 10, 2010 02:29pm
i am fully agree with you samina.
touseef ali
Dec 10, 2010 02:37pm
Come on! Folks, she is not an intellectual Diva, she do not have depth of knowledge, moreover she is piling more complexes in already frustrated middle class woman..
Aamenah
Dec 10, 2010 02:37pm
I too had the misfortune of watching the show under discussion. "Politically incorrect" about sums up the entire show. The media has the potential to change mindsets, but unfortunately, we have to deal with "mindless banter". It would be nice if TV hosts were a bit more socially sensitive. It's not just the hosts though who are solely responsible (the least they can do is suggest improvements to the show). Producers are mostly to blame.
abeer
Dec 10, 2010 02:38pm
so true .
Faisal
Dec 10, 2010 02:55pm
I agree
Faisal Saeed
Dec 10, 2010 03:28pm
Its more like a personal criticism than the objective one. Every program has a format to follow keeping in view their audience and ratings. Dr. Shaista is doing a fine job which obviously is not and could not be perfect,you should have compared it with other morning shows as well which are more pathetc and nonesense in our media scene. If shaista is coming up with the difference and some experimention than she must be appreciated as well.
Osman
Dec 10, 2010 03:49pm
Great reading! I also had the misforture to watch a few portions of that "show". This just goes to show how BAD our mainstream media now is. The hosts are just as bad, whatever they claim to be (Doctor, Engineer etc). As a people, we Pakistanis need to speak up and tell our media that this kind of nonsense is not entertainment. I hope Mrs Wahidi will take note and put on a better show next time.
jaroo
Dec 12, 2010 10:56pm
shaista is confident
Mudassir Hussain
Dec 10, 2010 05:26pm
We are living in difficult times....There are a lot more painful things to come than watching Shaista Wahidi, Nadia Khan etc.
bluemountain
Dec 10, 2010 05:37pm
Zing!!!! I hope this letter gets read by her...
Mayhem
Dec 10, 2010 05:46pm
Most of the things said by the doctor and not by the host were quite true though. If you're only problem was the presence of a representative of the community concerned, then wouldn't it be hypocrisy if you rather say it behind their backs? I agree that the way she acted was pretty cheesy, but then if we tolerated Nadia Khan then why not? 8-S
rida
Dec 10, 2010 06:02pm
Very well written.i would like to second the efforts of the writer and would also like to point out that the host has never opted for a realistic approach.To host a morning show its the intellectual capacities that count and not a being with layers of makeup and designer outfits.
Ali Tabish
Dec 10, 2010 06:23pm
since you've mentioned the wardrobe malfunction and if word really gets out people would be youtubing it! anyways bohut behtereen. i hate them both brother and sisters. i mean come on! and very well written. liked the wittyness!
Kh. Naveed
Dec 10, 2010 07:16pm
This article has been sent "directly" to her.
asiya arif
Dec 10, 2010 07:17pm
Wahidi already committed blunder on Iqbal Day. The list appears to be never ending. Mocking labourers depicts her shallow mind.
Gator
Dec 10, 2010 07:27pm
Rubbish, Nonsense, too much free time to indulge in writing good for nothing. Have a life Bibi Samina Peroniwala.
Khalid
Dec 10, 2010 07:45pm
I find the host very silly.
Mohsin (UK)
Dec 10, 2010 08:04pm
Writer is absolutely right. But, I believe, this should not be a public letter.
Kashan
Dec 10, 2010 08:12pm
She looks pretty :)
Mustafa
Dec 16, 2010 04:21am
I do not mind women throwing mud on Dr. Shaista Wahidi as I know mostly women are very critical of women. But when men start to throw mud on women, it is something very disturbing to most Pakistani men and women with the exception of few.
jeena
Dec 31, 2010 10:10am
The brother has also once invited a guest belonging to lower middle class and insulted him on air.
NHK
Dec 10, 2010 08:26pm
It is a blow to see educated anchors indulging in such distasteful humor. I hope Ms. Wahidi gets to read this letter and get a grip on herself.
Imran
Dec 10, 2010 08:30pm
I dont know the writer of the article or the host of the show, but I just came to know that being Pakistani now we can not make consensus on anything even about a TV show or article Cheers!!!!!!!! people. Its just a show and article. Everyone has a right to say but dont try to make it personal. I hope everyone will understand this. We need to change our behaviour towards people.
Zahid
Dec 10, 2010 08:44pm
Very well said, totally agree with you. I wish it has any effect on her, which seems to me impossible. But this shows how our class difference make fun of our poor people.
Skeptic
Dec 13, 2010 07:21am
finally someone talks sense...aptly pointed out ms. samina...
Fahad Ali
Dec 10, 2010 10:04pm
Keep rocking Shaista !
Tania
Dec 10, 2010 10:12pm
This is our exact problem... We feel anyone who is doing anything is commendable... One needs to have a level of maturity to understand the difference between "educated representation and opinion" and "having a personal grudge"... She is a public figure where some ppl like her (even though I don't understand why) there are ppl who won't agree with her. Is that not allowed? My question is Do we have to "appreciate" EVERYTHING and ANYTHING to show that we are "using our energies and talent for the development and progress of Pakistan"? I DON'T think so!!!
Mustafa
Dec 10, 2010 10:15pm
There is no shortage of problems in Pakistan and bashing Shaista Wahidi should be at the bottom of list. Writers and journalists should no waste time on petty things when there are so many major problems confronting Pakistan.
SM
Dec 10, 2010 10:21pm
I hope she reads this. She lacks the basic characteristics of a host (on numerous occasions, i have seen her interrupting her guests in the middle of a conversation) and, on top of this, does not have substantial information/knowledge on topics to talk about.
M Abid
Dec 10, 2010 11:25pm
Completely agree with Samina,Congratulation on writing with such audacity and honesty.I think she commits lots of blunders and her sense of humour is humiliating on many occasions.Waste of time ,silly jokes and no intellectual capacity to make a decent discussion with a guest.She needs to be replaced or else morning shows will completely lose all its charisma.
Shehzad
Dec 12, 2010 07:00pm
Very very well said Samina .
Mustafa
Dec 22, 2010 06:46pm
If anyone does not like her show, do not watch it. End of your problem. Do not worry with other people's problems because they could also end the problem by not watching her show.
Nusrat
Dec 11, 2010 02:37am
Samina i share your feelings. Very well written, thak you for speaking out for a section of women who have no say of their own in our society and without them the Begum sahib would never be able to manage her high lifestyle.
sidra
Dec 13, 2010 07:30pm
all the shows r the same now. utter nonsense is the word that comes to my mind.
Mustafa
Dec 13, 2010 07:28pm
If the performance of Dr. Shaista Wahidi was not satisfactory, her employers would l not keep her in the show. It is sad than even men are now back-biting women instead of appreciating the performance of a Pakistani Muslimah, your sister and my sister.
Maryam
Dec 13, 2010 07:05pm
Lol
Prof Ramesh Manghirmalani
Dec 11, 2010 04:12am
I agree with author, she is right . And, if you don
SALIM BAKALI
Dec 11, 2010 04:23am
i used to like her show ,but lately cant stand her show,because it nothing more than fashion show and and she look fake.I am not sure if she is any intellect,but definately is a bad actor
sana yasin
Dec 11, 2010 04:37am
100% agreed.specialy the brother and sister line.awsome:D
nuki
Dec 11, 2010 05:22am
agreeee!!!
Engineer Asad Ali
Dec 11, 2010 05:43am
Who said that she is qeen of morning shows..for your correction this title suits Nadia Khan..she was th firs anchor to do morning shows like this in Pakistan infact she was the trend setter..all other morning shows and anchors copied her throughout last 4 years.. Nadia was simple natural and not politicial.
Farheen
Dec 11, 2010 06:50am
I hope she read this letter.
nono
Dec 11, 2010 06:50am
I agree n its true, she should not say anything that don
Syed Nizamuddin
Dec 11, 2010 07:01am
She "does not "
Shahid Anwar
Dec 11, 2010 07:09am
Ms Samina, It's really a well-written piece and you have a point but I am afraid you did the same thing (by other means) to Ms Wahidi, what she did to her subject. We should be a little more charitable to each other and a little more considerate!
Faisal
Dec 12, 2010 05:02pm
Dear Samina It was breath of fresh air to read such an article. People idealise these people for them being on TV without realising that they make a mockery of everything and anything as they know they can get away with it. A tribute to the maids' of the country to me was outrageous. For the sake of a few ratings and a few extra bucks a large chunk of our society was humiliated. Asking them such ridiculous questions like the maids' change jobs for Rs. 500 increase in the pay is ridiculous. Would Shaista Wahdi not change TV channels for extra cash? Don't all of us look for better opportunities in life? A poor maid was interrogated on national TV and then was told that you are being given a tribute! Shaista Wahdi owes an apology to a nation as most of the people in the country are not as privileged as she is.
waqar
Dec 11, 2010 07:26am
samina,,,,,,,,,in the whole article,the ball was in your court bravo
Wajahatullah Qureshi
Dec 11, 2010 07:42am
After all this time, i thought we are pronounced socially dead people... but still people like you are doing this community welfare(i would call it ) for the betterment of society. Keep it up!
Sana
Dec 14, 2010 11:00pm
An excellent 'punch' very professionally done. Hats off to you Samina!
Sohail Siddiqui
Dec 13, 2010 06:26pm
Salute to SAMINA WAHID PEROZANI, I think wrote exactly what was my mind and in lots of other many viewers. Here I also include her brother. We should speak and write, and convey our message to channels authorities.
Mustafa
Dec 11, 2010 08:21am
There is a perception that unless you indulge in overacting, your talk show wont be a hit. And satire on a serious social subject is appalling. I appreciate your open letter.
Mustafa
Dec 13, 2010 06:06pm
Although... I don't necessarily watch her show for pretty much obvious reasons LOL Buh.. I will say that Samina Maashaalah you did give Ms. Wahidi an excellent piece of the pie.. Hopefully, she understands all that you had to share :)
nisaim
Dec 13, 2010 06:01pm
samina u hv done a great job ....in fact these shows r nt fr any purpose bt to increase the inferiority complex of already complexed....infact the hosts hv no concern with sense......they r employees to do the assigned job which is waste the time of others.
Noor Kazi (USA)
Dec 13, 2010 07:08am
I personally think both Nadia and Shaista are bad choices. Geo should seriously look into this because the TV represent the entire nation. Pehli (Naida Khan) thi MASHALLAH toh doosri (Shaista Wahidi) nikli SUBHANALLAH.
KKalame
Dec 11, 2010 09:15am
Right on Samina ! Shaista Should apologize on TV for her insensitive ignorant callous and distasteful treatment of the subject. Most maids would have oodles more class than her. However, I believe that someone who puts up a show like the one she does every day, she is incapable of remorse or shame. Greater shame on the people who aid and abet by watching such rubbish.
mrs shehryar
Dec 11, 2010 09:41am
very well said samina.....she is getting out of her socks..
mary
Dec 11, 2010 09:45am
i agree with Ms. Samina...such anchors should act maturely while they are on tv;realizing that they are considered as role models by their viewers.
habib
Dec 11, 2010 09:58am
Well written..the show have topics but are poorly structured...
Junaid
Dec 11, 2010 10:21am
pearl os wisdom these morning shows specially ms wahidi are major source of frustation and destitude but who care they are paid well and channels get lot of money and when host looses value someone else steps in and crap continues. frankly i am against banning etc but these morning shows should be banned waste of time and useless activity for wives and two precious hours are lost every day.
Akeel
Dec 13, 2010 05:51pm
Somehow I hate such morning talk shows and the Wahidi show is also garbage. I instinctively reach for my remote to change the channel if accidently is turned on for this show.
K-ZAIDI
Dec 22, 2010 12:41am
I agree with you
Mahum
Dec 11, 2010 10:56am
i totally agree wid u guys..
Mahum
Dec 11, 2010 11:00am
completely agree wid u...
Kamran Usman
Dec 11, 2010 11:52am
Dear All! Well! To some extent ,I agree with Ms.Samina but I think it's not the way to condemn a woman of Shaista staiture.Ok !!we all are human and human errors are there but don't you think the way Ms.Samina rebuked rather criticized Shaista also raises a question on her own way of dealing with others.It was a television Show and I think the anchor tried her level best to entertain her audience and at the same time at least someone has given this underprivileged class some importance.To criticize someone is the easiest job one can do but if someone is criticizing one should be aware of the whole circumstances.So for me ,what Ms.Samina has said is merely an emotional outburst.I really like Shaista's shows specially her natural way of dealing.So, we should appreciate if someone is doing something positively for this sweet homeland instead of fetching for mistakes in someone's personality. Regards, Kamran Usman
mehroo
Dec 14, 2010 05:36pm
look away is not the solution, I praise the writer to point out these things.
Tauheed Ahmed
Dec 11, 2010 12:54pm
I am only glad there is someone on Pakistani television who has something to talk about other than how bad "Amreeka" and the rest oft he civilized world is, and how pious the taliban are from the maulanas.
A.R Azad
Dec 11, 2010 12:58pm
I am 100 percent agree with the writer. Wahidi keeps doing weird things. She might be thinking that she has a pretty face so people like her programme ignoring the fact that shows become popular on the basis of research based programmes.
Tooa Tanveer
Dec 11, 2010 01:35pm
Very very well written!!!! I won't go as far as saying that Mrs. Wahidi has a pathetic dress sense as that is her personal choice but the rest you nailed it Samina Wahid Perozani. I mean being on TV is a big responsibility as you are influencing thousands of women so before saying anything you should think atleast twice Mrs. Wahidi. Mocking a class of working women who are already under previlidged in the name of amusement is pathetic. More than that you should atleast have the sense to research whatever subject you are discussing in depth.
Mohammad ayub
Dec 11, 2010 02:07pm
I find his program waste of time. There is nothng in it. Style is very offensive, make fun of guests.
Yasir
Dec 11, 2010 02:08pm
The writer seems Nadia Khan fan, criticizing Shaista wahidi for no reason what so ever. My message to shaista don't believe these, keep rocking your show, at least you are much better than artifical Nadia Khan. Thank You.
saima sheikh
Dec 11, 2010 03:12pm
all these morning shows are EQUALLY rubbish, waste of time, the host WOULD know nothing about anything, but they sure know how to dress up
Syed
Dec 11, 2010 03:55pm
I agree with the original writer. Often these early morning shows create a mockery of some part on the under privileged population. Once a person is in public domain, they have to expect that if appreciated, they will also be criticized in public domain. Syed UK
Iftikhar Hussain
Dec 12, 2010 02:30pm
If we take a balanced view of the whole thing, some points do come to mind; Dr. Shaista knowledge, intellect, wardrobe is infact not the point of debate to me and should not be discussed. Dr. Shaista in my opinion needs to take the critique in a positive way because her programme is a public consumption and a product like any other media. I am a Pakistani journalist based in Washginton DC associated with the US media and i often watches her programmes for inviting diverse guests especailly pashtuns.. Dr. Shaista is like celebrities and people has the right to comment on her subject of discussion and how the topic is treated. Equally i beleive positive criticism will be heard and ultimalty bring impact. Dr. Shaista is doing a great job and needs to listen to all her criticism provided itfits to the context. Thanks Iftikhar, Washington Dc
Khizr
Dec 12, 2010 01:50pm
With such a huge viewership, it is the channel's responsibility that the show are well researched and constructive in nature. We need input from the likes of Haseena Moin, Anwer Maqsood, Farooq Qaiser, Bajia, etc to guide the script writers of these days.
kiran
Dec 11, 2010 04:40pm
i agreed with u..... she need to read this...that sister and brother both should mind their style..........
Khizr
Dec 12, 2010 01:40pm
Well said.
Abhijit
Dec 11, 2010 05:08pm
This article is a direct personal attack.
Suleman
Dec 11, 2010 05:22pm
The real question is weather Ms Wahidi is actually representing the women of pakistan?! which she is not, but how is that such a show gets this amazing level of popularity? is it because we have all lost the vision to do more with our lives then watch and pointless morning shows such as this. 10 years ago the same morning show would have not even cleared the audition stages. its time for real talent to be backed up now.
Aroosa
Dec 11, 2010 06:47pm
You rock, Samina! I cant stand this woman either
Sayyidah Haider
Dec 11, 2010 06:48pm
I too had the misfortune of watching her once and brother both pair are bad as each other!!!! GoodLuck to them with their continual mess ups no wonder why her programme is aired free on SKY and just to add Nadia Khan's show wasn't much better.....
Aneela Shakeel
Dec 11, 2010 06:49pm
morning shows has ruined our channels ,most presenters are of below average intellect and are guiding our young ladies towards a senseless living. unfortunately due to lack of real " danishwar" in our society every media man has assumed the duty to impose their pseudo intellectuality over the Innocent rather unaware "awam". Shaista wahidi is just one example. but my dear Samina the most sorrowful point is that many other channels and anchorpersons are following the" bhairchaal" ,(the latest example is mast morning with jugan). it is really disturbing to watch that decent lady behaving like nadia or shaista. as regards kamwali or our maids our society should realize their contribution and they must get due respect. in my opinion the women contribution in our national economy is just with the help of these maids. just imagine the life of lady CEO without maids.
Jay
Dec 11, 2010 07:07pm
She is not the only one Most of the talk show WALAS are the same . BRING in the new breed from the YOUTH. They will present you the Real picture of Pakistan. jay
rizwan rashid
Dec 11, 2010 08:09pm
well its not the fault of Ms wahidi... its quite natural because she is replcing the trend setter of morning shows (nadia khan). i think we should give her some time to stabilize herself.
Hamza
Dec 11, 2010 08:46pm
It is not clear what do you mean when you say that 'she has underestimated 'male' interests'. Please elaborate. Also if you could kindly explain what was the 'hats off to our society' line for? Sarcasm? Any particular purpose or perhaps any reason due to which you felt the urge of giving your opinion about our society with respect to 'male' comments on this article?
Kiran
Dec 11, 2010 08:47pm
The host of this show, Mrs. Wahidi, does not allow the guests to even complete their sentences & interrupts every opportunity she gets to state her point. Her professional manners & the title of her job as a host both contradict with one another. And, as far as her everyday attire goes, I respect her stylist. However, incorporating dress codes to emulate the topics of your show, is simply quite tacky not to mention utterly offensive especially in this case. Mrs. Wahidi should definitely keep her day job.
Hamza
Dec 11, 2010 08:51pm
Why suggest you watch that show for yourself first. Perhaps you would be in a better position to comment on how rudely was that helpless lady treated.
S. Nasir Mehdi
Dec 11, 2010 08:53pm
What else can be expected from a boring article on extra boring programme.
Faisal
Dec 11, 2010 09:07pm
A blonde with a burnette wig.
sobia
Dec 11, 2010 09:23pm
truly agree wid mis samina! mrs shaista adopted the v same kind of behavior in some other shows protraying the '' SO CALLED'' tribute to labour. seems she ws making fun of that respected class except ov ani tribute. the whole team shud take aserious notice to improve d show.
M B A Khan
Dec 11, 2010 09:27pm
I didn't watch the show, but I think this is a total attack on this TV presenter. I know of Shaista Wahidi as being very famous with housewives and the likes, just like Nadia Khan show, I have also heard and read somewhere that she is much, much better the Nadia Khan's Morning show, so this I think this assault on her personality could also be in order to bring her down or something...:S I agree with the 'Massis' being targeted and not being respected for what they do... but talking about the way someone dresses is totally personal...
BA
Dec 11, 2010 09:47pm
Hat's off to the person who wrote this article. I know people have a lot of complains from their "maasi's" but still this is really condescending and shows the narrow minded thinking which I would certainly not expect from a TV host. Unfortunately, the people in reference cannot say much in their defense.
faraz
Dec 11, 2010 10:19pm
ya an absolute gem!!
Abida Bokhari
Dec 11, 2010 10:20pm
I think you are taking morning shows too seriously. Not good not good.
Omair Fatmi
Dec 12, 2010 01:13pm
I usually am a staunch supporter of those write ups and blogs which efficiently reflect hard and dark reality of our so called PATRIOTIC media. Just by prefixing or suffixing 'Pakistan' with the show titles doesn't really give them the authority to call or talk obnoxiously about anyone or anything, but unfortunately its being done at a large scale by every morning show and the worst part is, people still appreciate it. Great work indeed by the writer, people should really take this into account. Growing addiction to these morning shows and ECSTATIC GIFTS offered by each of them will really lead us to abomination.
Hareem
Dec 11, 2010 10:46pm
good article. I think most of us (audience) has had enough of both brother and sister.
Natasha (USA)
Dec 11, 2010 11:40pm
There's a good reason why these morning talk shows are so popular with the desi people leaving abroad. Basically it all sums up to the point that we miss Pakistan. My husband wakes up on the weekends to Shaista Wahidi's talk show on Geo. Not necessarily because he enjoys her banter, but because there is nothing better.
B
Dec 12, 2010 12:45pm
Nice to see that most Pakistanis are ever-willing to comment on the style of some Tv host, but remain tight-lipped about the atrocities committed in their country by religious bigots. The anger and sarcasm of Pakistani writers are valid. I now totally understand.
Shaz
Dec 12, 2010 02:13am
Well, Thank God I have never seen any of her shows , unfortunately i have seen her brother in some shows. Will some one please tell him that he is not even close to Shahrukh Khan so he better stop copying him, or rather imitating him.
Khurram Iqbal
Dec 12, 2010 11:01am
i think this is a personal attack on the personality of shahista who is very hard working and talented asset of Pakistan if she try to make people smile as their day day start i think we should appreciate what she is doing.these days television is full of bad news if she is doing some thing positive then i think we all should appreciate and should stop this nagitive propaganda.we love you shaista keep doing utho jago pakistan
Amjad Z
Dec 12, 2010 11:02am
this is a personal attack on that host she is good but there are ways that you can rectify one's negative features by pointing out in a way that it does not look odd.In fact the things you have tried to point out have got hidden instead of rectifying it seems more like jealous and personal attack.Its a very good thing that her wardrobe are local and according to the culture of Pakistan Because she looks like a true Pakistani women.Rest of the thing that she make humor there are ways that you can point out gently.
Nameless
Dec 14, 2010 06:31pm
Not backbiting. Its an open letter and we are writing comments so that if she reads the article she will know what the public feels and perhaps she will change for the better.
Zafar
Dec 12, 2010 03:15am
Very good Article. Keep it up Samina Wahid. Hopefully one day words like these just mihgt open up minds of the people of our beloved country. I have seen the morning shows and the trash they dish out to the people.
Jawad Rafiq
Dec 12, 2010 03:26am
This freedom of expression in a positive way. Will be benefiting for all readers and anchors as well.
kamran
Dec 12, 2010 03:44am
Very eloquent writing by Ms Samina, my complements and you must take up writing seriously lots of potential for some serious academic work - if you are not already into it.
RACHJED
Dec 12, 2010 10:51am
Hi, I have tried to read full article, but could not understood, what actually she wanted to say. Whether she is not comfortable with the host or the handling of the issue discussed in the show. If she believes host has not handled the issue properly, neither the writer has written it in a meaningful way.
Dallasqboy
Dec 12, 2010 10:08am
I completely agree with the points stated in the article. Shaista does not have proper understanding of social ethics and norms. I watched this particular episode in which she highlited the life style of our labour society in a houmeristic way. Individuals like Shaista abuse the media by promoting biased and unethical views. However doing this they would not gain anything but loose professional status in the society. Personally I think, there should be proper guidelines followed by the Tv host when presenting programs about labour society, cause one would be deliberately hurting not only personal sentiments but also humiliating the self-esteem and self-respect of those individulas or people whose lively-hood soley depends upon daily wages. I strongly discourage media sponsors not to encourage such programs/hosts where they represent the wrong image of the scoiety specially the hard working labour and thier respective and dignified live styles.
chak
Dec 12, 2010 05:41am
It would've been better if the 'open mail' concentrated more on the content and presentation of Ms Wahidi's programme than on her dressing sensibilities. Those are her personal choice and a matter for discussion with the show producer and not for others to comment on, if its such an eye-sore, the writer could simply look away or change channels.
javeria
Dec 14, 2010 05:52pm
I absolutely agree with the writer, thumbs up for writing and taking word from our mouth to show her that she lacks the decency of being a morning show anchor and to represent the true women of Pakistan. I just don
shumaila lodhia
Dec 14, 2010 05:56pm
i agree with the writer
Maria
Dec 12, 2010 06:13am
This article raises some very good points. It truly is a shame that people like Shaista Wahidi don't know any better. They represent what some may consider the educated class but whose behaviour is more backward than people with no formal education at all- so called "Parhi likhey jaahil". What people fail to understand is that the children of many overseas Pakistanis, such as my own children make fun of people like Shaista Wahidi and Nadia Khan when they are forced to watch Pakistani TV with the family. They make fun of their gestures, style of clothing, misuse of English and the casual insertion of accented English. If only people in Pakistan knew how much ridicule they get from foreign born Pakistanis who find them and their shows distinctly amateur and silly. Being born in Pakistan, I still follow these shows but I fear that one generation on, no educated Pakistani in the West will want to watch any Pakistani TV. By the way, who cares whether Shaista Wahidi has an MB BS degree or not. She's not working in the medical profession nor is her show related to health topics
Syed
Dec 12, 2010 07:04am
Totally agree with Samina's analysis. Amateur and childish are the only two words that describe both brother and sister. Choice is what we need. What we need is a TV training institute in Pakistan where presenters can be taught how to present, dress and create a healthy conversation with the guests.
MA Zahid
Dec 12, 2010 10:08am
I am dismayed at the indecent and disgraceful manner in which Samina Wahid has articulated her distaste with Shaista's program. She is blaming her for wardrobe problems, has reservations regarding her '70's...eye make up' and the way she 'played' with her dopatta. Well, it does not mean that Samina would outsmart her and would make more aesthetic and comforting figure on the TV. If she were to watch 'Mind your language' or 'Yes minister' comedy series, Samina would may well stand up and applaud for hours.
Khurram
Dec 12, 2010 09:12am
Thanks Samina for writing this artical. I agree to your comments. Few days back I was watching the same program and subject was "police" , The program was sheer humiliation for the police department where the host only made fun of police leaving one fact behind that they are human beings, They have families too. Instead of how to make things/topic better and constructive she always tries to put masala in the show that completly dilutes the topic and the essence of the program.
znwz
Dec 12, 2010 07:51am
Excellent and well written Samina. I really hope that Nadia Khan comes back despite the fact that one does not out do the other, atleast Nadia had a little bit more decency than Shaista. Geo made a really bad move by putting Shaista on there. There was a reason why people would choose Nadia over Shaista when they were in competition. Shaista insults topics without knowing it and the way she talks and acts really makes me wonder if she's even a doctor at all. I really appreciate your letter Samina. Keep up the good work.
aneela
Dec 12, 2010 07:58am
thats the problem with us as a nation.... na karain gai na karnain dain gai....instead of positive criticism we are being personal and being judgemental....she has brains thas why she is doing what she is doing so accept it... what ever she is doing is working for her....if u can do better than come up with some idea and do it......
Karim Alam
Dec 12, 2010 08:12am
I have watched some of her shows but not the one under consideration. In General, I fully agree with the writer. However, I humbly request the cute anchor to host general questions & answers sessions only.
Karim Alam
Dec 12, 2010 08:16am
Dear Mustafa, Every minor thing requires attention of intelligentsia & media as the same reflects the true face of a society.
ST
Dec 12, 2010 08:23am
I totally agree with miss Samina. All she cares in most of her shows is how good she looks, how much she knows by not letting her guests finish their conversation or point of view they are giving, has no grace and everything in her show is not UTHO JAGO PAKISTAN its about shaista herself.
Huma
Dec 14, 2010 03:38pm
This letter has truly defined the mindlessness of Ms. Wahidis show... although (thank God) that i was fortunate enough to skip this show but unfortunately i was witness to bits and pieces of her other shows... This woman is too far from reality.... In the above letter , the writer mentioned that the maids change their loyalties for a mere 500 rupees...which in fact we would only realize when we put ourselves in their shoes.A 500 rupee note maybe a mac burger meal for us but for these poor workers its a huge amount.. Hats off to the writer and i hope Ms. Wahidi gets banned,just like her counterpart Ms. Nadia khan, from all the t.v channels of Pakistan..
Sana Tee
Dec 14, 2010 09:34am
u r totally missing the point of Samina's article!
Jam
Dec 18, 2010 03:04pm
She has never had anything valuable to say. The show is a joke.
S. A. M.
Dec 19, 2010 06:30am
It is not easy to choose a new topic everyday. I guess we do not have the live show everyday. If it is like this the hostess should be careful. But again I would say that it is very difficult to be given the task to be a socially sensible person, entertain guest/audiences, raise relevant questions, and talk without a pause. The problems will certainly arise afterall these shows are not sripted. How many times we also regret that we should'nt have said such and such thing. If I keep myself in her seat I would say shaista is doing a good job but she is not always perfect. It is very to find flaws in others.
Madiha
Dec 25, 2010 11:22pm
Very well said Samina. I am so glad there are people out there who DO think like this. Shaista wahidi and many other arrogant people like her should realize that every human being deserves respect, no matter what social segment of the society they belong to!
Laila Khan
Jan 04, 2011 04:23pm
Thank God someone else also noticed the mostly juvenile and obnoxious behavior of Ms. Wahidi...I know it's wrong to judge a person by just a TV Show but she is just ignorant..plain and simple...how in the world did she manage to grab the hosting job at a TV channel is beyond me..though it says a lot about the standard of some of our TV channels...If she has any sense, then she would try to drastically improve everything about herself..and I am not kidding here...she and that copycat brother(Sahir Lodhi) of hers should be banned forever if you ask me...