How to avoid embarrassment

Published Jun 11, 2010 12:22pm

We’re going to get slaughtered in England. I think you should know this. It doesn’t matter what pitches we play on, or who exactly plays for Australia (early part of the summer) or England (latter half of the summer), or who captains our side, or what inane thing Ijaz Butt says on a particular day – we’re going to get slaughtered in England. In my esteemed role as a Dawn.com blogger, I feel it is my responsibility to calibrate readers’ expectations to something approaching realistic, so once again: we’re going to get slaughtered in England.

That said, the team we pick can and will make the difference between being slaughtered organic-style, and being slaughtered in one of those mechanised slaughterhouses that I saw in Food Inc that made me a vegetarian for a couple of days. So here’s my handy five-step guide on how to avoid being embarrassed.

1. Pick the batsmen entirely on the basis of their fielding ability. And you think I’m joking. If memory serves, we dropped an average of four catches a day on our twin tour to New Zealand and Australia. Not four catches a match, or even innings. Four catches a day. It was a team effort – the Akmal brothers, Imran Farhat, Misbah, even the bowlers.

Here’s the problem: our bowling attack is now a very non-traditional one, in the Pakistani sense. Our three best bowlers in history – Imran, Wasim and Waqar – were all wicket-to-wicket bowlers, who’d get tons of batsmen LBW or bowled. In effect, they took our pathetic fielding out of the equation. But our newer bowlers, guys like Asif and Aamer, are most Western in orientation, relying on edges and miscues to get batsmen out. It’s not better or worse, it’s just different. But this method does presuppose a halfway adequate fielding side, especially behind the wicket, which we are decidedly not. Which is why we need to pick our batting solely on whether they can field or not.

Think about it: would you rather have Imran Farhat, with a test batting average of 33, opening the batting, or Imran Nazir, with a test batting average of 32? Both would fail miserably in English conditions against good bowling, but at least the latter wouldn’t cost the team hundreds of runs in the field.

I don’t know if we have six or even five decent fielders in all of Pakistan, beyond the obvious candidates like Younis Khan and Fawad Alam. But it’s not my job to know; it’s the selectors’. Between now and when the team for the summer is announced, I want them to scour the country for people who can dive, take catches and stop boundaries. Pick them, and then send them to England.

2. Don’t let Shoaib Malik anywhere near the team This guy is the cricketing equivalent of the plague. Pakistani cricketers are rarely united on anything, but one thing they do all agree on is the fact that Malik is the embodiment of evil. Doesn’t that tell you something?

Pardon me if I don’t find his assurances of being a “changed man” entirely convincing. He’s still the guy who poisoned the team, who single-handedly led to the factionalisation of the dressing room, who turned against two captains, and who backed out of batting at number three when he saw a difficult pitch. He’s been this way for a long time, and he deep down harbors the hope of becoming captain again, which means only one thing: he will sabotage Shahid Afridi the same way he did Younis and Yousuf. Just wait and see.

Look, Pakistani cricketers find it hard enough to get along, without throwing a diabolical schemer like Malik into the mix. It would serve us all if instead of his wife giving up her career, he gives up his. But if he isn’t going to go away of his own volition, the selectors should send him away.

3. Drop Kamran Akmal. Akmal returns to the scene of the crime. You may recall that before the England tour of 2006, Akmal was one of the world’s two best keeper-batsmen. He was very assured behind the stumps, scored crucial runs, and was generally thought of as one of the pillars the team would be built around for the next decade. But it all fell apart for him on that tour, and he hasn’t been able to recover any semblance of form behind the stumps since then.

The decline and fall of Akmal is a truly shocking and as-yet unexplained story. Does anyone actually know what’s happened to him? How did he go from being one of the safest and most agile keepers in the world to absolute rubbish? Seriously, does anyone have an answer?

Either way, we can’t afford to have this guy author any more game-changing moments. For as long as I am alive I will not forget his performance at Sydney, when he was more supportive to Mike Hussey than the Aussie tail. In fact, I’m fairly certain Akmal has links to sectarian and militant outfits in Punjab; there is no other explanation for his consistent and unmitigated efforts at ending Danish Kaneria’s career.

Play him as a batsman if you must, but please, for the love of everything that is sane and holy, don’t let him keep.

4. Hope Shoaib Akhtar gets injured Actually this one should take care of itself. I give him, I don’t know, six overs before he pulls up at the Asia Cup. Chalo, eight overs.

I once wrote a 2000-word essay on why Pakistan needs to say goodbye to Shoaib Akhtar. You know the crazy thing? That was three years ago. That is, just after he got banned and unbanned for steroids but before he smacked Asif with a bat in the dressing room, before the liposuction and the sexually transmitted diseases, before his Bollywood career crashed and burned without actually getting started, before countless other injuries and ailments, and before the most drunken performance as a studio analyst during the recent World T20 in the Caribbean that one could ever hope to witness (come on, we all know he wasn’t sipping coffee).

I’ve got nothing personal against this guy; as characters go he is less unseemly than the Akmals and Yousuf and Misbah, never mind Malik. But he’s a distraction and can’t be counted upon. Luckily, we won’t have to worry about this too much. You watch, he’ll be home before the Asia Cup is finished.   5. Kidnap Mike Hussey I can’t possibly be the only Pakistani who’s had enough of this guy. It’s time to take more serious measures. Lord knows our cricketing establishment has connections to the seedy underworld of Karachi and Dubai. Let’s take advantage of it. Because, honestly, I can’t deal with another St.Lucia, let alone another Sydney. It’s time to put a stop to this menace.

Ahsan Butt is a PhD candidate in Political Science at the University of Chicago, and he blogs at Five Rupees. The views expressed by this blogger and in the following reader comments do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the Dawn Media Group.

More From This Author

Afridi and Waqar, take a bow

There’s been something strange and oddly compelling watching Shahid Afridi and Waqar Younis mold this Pakistan team....

PCB fumbles. Again.

The last week has shown the best and worst of Pakistan cricket…and by “best,” I really mean “worst.” By now, we’ve...

Owais
Jun 11, 2010 07:58am
Ahsan - you are my man !!!! beautifully written - lot of people would laugh it off as a joke but I truly believe and agree with every single word of yours. Our selectors are either dont bother thinking just like many players or there is big time nepotism going on. Someone backing Akmal, the other backing Malik, third one backing someone else, the agreement being you scratch my back and I scratch yours. I mean its beyond comprehension how could Akmal and Malik get selected for this series ???? How could our selection panel fool us yet again - or rob us in broad daylight ?
Ahmed Hassan
Jun 11, 2010 08:02am
I tried very hard but did not find this piece very amusing. and Shoaib Akhtar is a BMW, and the PCB a truck driver. That is why the BMW stalls every now and then.
Tariq
Jun 11, 2010 08:11am
I totally agree on all counts but I disagree that Kamran Akmal shouldn't behind the stumps. Although even I am baffled as to what has happened to his keeping of late. However given the fact that none of our batsmen have a secure place in the side I think we need him if only for the runs he scores. If Pakistan bat first, let someone else keep so that he doesn't lose us the match, but if we bat second, there is more than a 90% (totally made-up) chance that he'll make 70-odd runs and give the team a good start.
Shahrukh
Jun 11, 2010 08:13am
I really admire and totally agree here with Ahsan on all the points elaborated except for the one in which Shoaib Akhtar is being pointed..though I am not a anorak fan of Akhtar yet I strongly believe that he had been the only MATCH WINNER for Pakistan in last decade, give me one another name from the whole list of players who can turn up a test match for you in a span of 2hrs (I leave it upto the reader to recall the match and many many more)..I do agree that you have to coach every player as to how should he behave on & off the field..but after saying that I intent to clarify that not all the players are to be treated with same window...from here the question mark is turned to our team management..isn't this a responsibility of managers to manage their asset for which they have been taking hefty amount & perks?was'nt that their job to use their star more dearly and efficiently so as to get maximum benefit from him for the sake of country? Consider Shaoib Akhtar & Shahid Afridi playing in the same team and then by putting hands on your heart you'll know who deserves to be leading the side..!
sara
Jun 11, 2010 08:13am
Completely second you on the Hussey comment (some reservations on the Kamran Akmal comment and his so-called links to the underworld). The biggest tip for Pakistan is that once the trip is over please please please do not raise the bogey of match-fixing. The boys tried and failed. Thats it. Recover and look forward to the next series but do not cast aspersions on their honesty, commitment and the superior cricketing abilities of the opponents.
Osama Siddique
Jun 11, 2010 08:29am
Great article Ahsan. Poignant analysis and great wit. Good to see an academic with an astute sense of the national past time/on-going tragedy. Do keep writing. It's high time that the traditional trite and deathly boring sports analysts make room for people like you and Osman Samiuddin. Best, Osama Siddique
Abid
Jun 11, 2010 08:32am
Excellent analysis! Both Shoaibs are a liability,we need good fielders.I would add one more point:If somehow we could get Darryl Hair to officiate,we would end up with a very good excuse for defeat.
Syed from Melbourne
Jun 11, 2010 08:44am
excellent analysis and tips!!!
Saulat
Jun 11, 2010 09:33am
Ahsan let me know if you need any help with the 5th point .
mansoor
Jun 11, 2010 09:38am
ahsan, had you published this blog a few weeks back, it would have been beneficial to the PCB but alas none of your suggestions have been implemented by the Board :D
Irfan
Jun 11, 2010 09:44am
Hahah, laughed my heads off, brilliantly put together indeed!
Faisal Qureshi
Jun 11, 2010 10:37am
hahaaha..good one saulat ... :D
Khalid Ahmed
Jun 11, 2010 10:41am
VERY WELL WRITTEN
Faisal Qureshi
Jun 11, 2010 10:41am
haha..its hilarious..I think the most serious issue is the Malik issue.. Afridi is gonna tear him apart if he dares to mess..newly wed groom shouldn't be having any evil ideas for now :D .. Applaud Mr. Ahsan Butt :)
Faisal Qureshi
Jun 11, 2010 10:43am
not true..totally disagree..the BMW got Mehran's Engine :D
Gugu
Jun 11, 2010 10:46am
Pt 1 - excellent.
Haider Javed
Jun 11, 2010 11:06am
lmfao faisal.. thats so true and so funny
Imran
Jun 11, 2010 10:47am
Its good that we are not expecting anything at all this time around from the team......if they win ..we will be happy ....by the way...whatever way the team is playing...at the moment this is the best we got...
omair
Jun 11, 2010 11:04am
lolzzz...... nice article man
khan from Jeddah
Jun 11, 2010 12:38pm
Excellent tips for PCB and the big Butt! I think I would keep Akhtar in the T-20 side only, he can probably bowl 4 overs with good speed like Tait. Akhtar can possibly bowl 6 overs in an ODI, if he can take 2-3 wickets then he is worth it.
Umaid
Jun 11, 2010 12:47pm
Dude! Why are you being such a pessimistic?!? Everybody knows our team's got the goods. They're just not stable enough to get it right in the games... We just need a captain or coach that can talk to them and get them firing. Maybe Afridi can make it happen.. Lets see. So lets change this attitude, and expect good things going into a competition. Umaid
mansoor
Jun 11, 2010 12:00pm
as regards hussey's performance, the opposition batsman is bound to perform when three straight forward catches and one stumping chance is missed, it is certain that the said batsman is into his forth innings and Hussey may have weakenesses but courtesy Mr Akmal, Hussey was provided four lives in a gold plate
Imran
Jun 11, 2010 12:24pm
Ahsan, the first thing you have mentioned is "fielding" and on the other hand you wrote about exclusion of Shoaib Malik, but if you have seen Pakistani fielders then the best men Ive seen in fieldling are Fawad Alam and Shoaib Malik. Have you ever seen our new VICE CAPTAIN(Salman Butt) fielding? always the worst in the team and always trying to field where the bowl hardly comes.
usman mehmood
Jun 11, 2010 12:12pm
hahaha.. i'm loving it ! i wish we could replace "EJAZ BUTT" with "AHSAN BUTT" ... . !!!
Nabil
Jun 11, 2010 01:12pm
Absolutely Brilliant!
Salman
Jun 11, 2010 01:12pm
This is the funniest and most polished cricket analysis of Pakistan cricket that I have ever come across.
Vohra
Jun 11, 2010 02:18pm
PAKISTAN is the only team, whose past performance/facts doesn't count at all !!! and we have seen it on numerous occasions. We play, and play good cricket when its just our day. We play fearless cricket irrespective of Akmals, Khans, Aktars or Maliks. We have always been an unpredictible team. So these analysis/facts/ pessimistic opinions doesn't matter. All matters is one good day! P.S: Even Muhammad Yousuf takes miraclous catches on his day.
Abbas
Jun 11, 2010 02:24pm
Excellcent article Ahsan!!! I might not agree on Akmal's point as I think he is coming back to himself as a keeper, but then again as Malik is back in the game ....I can be totally worng.
Khurram
Jun 11, 2010 02:50pm
Excellent peice of wirting couldn't agree with you more and surely our cricket does not need any other Saint Lucia or chronicles of sydney cricket ground. In my view we would not be able to win a single match against Australia for next 2 or 3 years just beacuse what Hussey did to us in t20 semi final. But lets be hopeful i know the situation is very gloomy lets hope against hope that these bunch of crickters will gel together as a team and make us prou for once (the feeling that we as nation have totally forgotten).
Asad Siddiqui
Jun 11, 2010 04:04pm
Sorry bro ... your article was too negatively approached. Instead of offering some positive tips...u just focused on the darker side. I respect your views, therefore same goes for mine.
saif ahmed
Jun 11, 2010 04:05pm
Ahsan, You nailed it! All these characters need to go. Who is Malik? How could he force himself in the side after all those testimonies, confessions of wrong doing. Playing against the interest of your country, I suppose that should be counted as treason, oh well! We are Pakistani after all.
shah
Jun 11, 2010 04:38pm
very well written........truth in crude form....I have played and followed cricket for last twenty years,and this the first time not only me but every other person thinks that there will be unavoidable and crushing defeat in England.I have watched pakistani team closely in Australia and follow Australian first class cricket,Pakistan batting talent is absolutely no where close to those who play first class cricket here in Australia.......There were two exceptions ,Younis and Yousuf ,both missing.
akhan
Jun 11, 2010 06:53pm
Excellent.But why didn't you write anything about Afridi.He was involved in Akthar bashing Asif,how about ball biting and refused to play Test cricket.
Usman
Jun 11, 2010 09:08pm
Ahsan, who says criticism as an OUTstander is difficult. I just would like to say keep blaming individuals and you will find other individuals to blame ever deeper. Throwing out some good players Kamran and Malik will do no good. I suggest to hand over the cricket board to an Australian if Imran Khan won't accept the position because the way I see it the patron is planning to hand it over to Mr. Dasti after Mr. Butt is removed unceremoniously after the England tour.
Kiwi Gul
Jun 12, 2010 12:22am
I think the best ever analysis of Pakistani Cricket, its (past) strengths and present weaknesses and its realpolitik. Something I wanted to say ages ago. In fact something I wanted Pakistanis to read. I ,somehow, seriously doubt that Gul was/is 'left out'. And finally how finely it touches Dubai and Karachi connections.... what a great context. You truly deserve to be a PhD candidate... you got what it needs. My God I am feeling so envious ;)
SHAHZAD
Jun 12, 2010 12:46am
I AGREE WITH EACH AND EVERYTHING!!!!!ASIA CUP IS NEAR NOW SO LET SEE WHAT THEY DO!!!!!
Haroon
Jun 12, 2010 01:37am
What a great piece of writing! It's hilarious. And, I think you've got really good arguments. Wish other cricket writers could write like this. The stuff about Malik and Kamran and even Shoaib...one the spot. And really funny! Congrats. You have a gift for writing. Hope you write more. It's really amusing. Nothing dry about it. And you appreciate cricket in a way we all do, but cricket writers are unwilling to say these things. Perhaps that is why you are writing it as a blog and not as a columnist. The connections with underworld! haha. We all know about it. But it's really funny you mention it. PCB should hire you as a consultant! Or, even better, make you the chairman! That will be the happy ending to what is so far a tragedy. It's like Malcolm X vs. Martin Luther. The former truly represented the people's point of view. You are the Malcolm X of Pakistani cricket! Keep writing! It brought us a lot of joy. Finally something to be happy about.
Asim A. Hameed
Jun 12, 2010 09:43am
I dont think the current bowlers can match wasim waqar and imran even if they are allowed to tamper.
hasham
Jun 12, 2010 03:26am
kudos
Ali
Jun 12, 2010 03:36am
lol Danish Kaneria.
hasan
Jun 12, 2010 04:05am
even the greeks are praying their team wins the world cup...they haven't ever qualified for one...and here we are talking bout how our guys are gonna get slaughtered...please learn to be a bit more positive with your act and read the facts before posting writing an entire article on based on nothing.....
Bilal Choudry
Jun 12, 2010 04:42am
hehe nice one ... I am all for playing the Akmal batsman only but I think comparison with Nazir is harsh for Farhat ... he had a semi decent run down under and surprisingly the only stability in that tour came from the top order I would think Afridi and Younis are a must for the slip cordon and possibly Umar at 3rd.
DZ
Jun 12, 2010 04:50am
LOL! Kidnap Mike Hussey definitely my favourite point!
Omar
Jun 12, 2010 08:05am
So much pessimism! Why can't we Pakistani be patriotic for once and support our team.
umer baloch
Jun 12, 2010 08:04am
I like the last one. kidnap Hussey. But on serious note, I believe the action that has been taken has to be this way. If Shoaib malik is left with some self respect then what the world has seen till now is enough for him to behave. As Aqib reminded us that this politics is existing in Pak cricket for atleast 15 years now, so I wouldn't say its all Shoaib's fault. The in-charge of cricket including Chairman PCB, Coach and the captain and most importantly the manager has to be in his boots otherwise everyone can easily predict the results of the Home series in English soil.
Nasir Ali Mirza
Jun 12, 2010 08:45am
You are a Man.
verming
Jun 12, 2010 06:46am
"Our three best bowlers in history
nashpaty
Jun 12, 2010 07:06am
lol, brilliant piece!
Asim A. Hameed
Jun 12, 2010 09:41am
Brilliant!!!!!!!!! Shoaib Malik's fielding is no plus compared to the problems he creates.
Umair NAseer
Jun 12, 2010 09:57am
Ahsan I think you are getting very harsh I accept that Kamran Akmal's performance in Australia was pathetic but you have forgotten his batting abilities....he is by far the best Wicket Keeper batsman....Sarfraz Ahmed is an ordinary batsman who is yet to score a fifty in international cricket....and Kamran Akmal was the second highest scorer of tournament for Pakistan and I can bet he is better batsman than Shoaib Malik and Misbah-ul-Haq if he plays in middle order he will score alot of centuries...and about the fielding it has never been Pakistan strength and the main reason for fielding lapses in Australia was lack of commitment from players n Shoaib Malik is the culprit if Pakistan gets rid off him and give Umer Amin and Asad Shafiq some chances I can bet Pak will atleast draw test series against England cause Mohd Amir and Mohd Asif will not be easy to face ..............
Mobashir
Jun 12, 2010 10:45am
Just brilliant & true to the core. I wish somebody does listen in Selection Committee/PCB.
Nasir
Jun 12, 2010 11:47am
Firstly I tender my unconditional apology and call back my words even if mildly hurt or harm someone. See eye to eye dear Omar, beyond doubt this is a most sophisticated cricket question paper. What is more it also put in plain words as well as respond to a long unrequited question mark, i.e. why the fantastic selection committee who choose world cup winning team are awkwardly stay behind and still unrewarding & uncrown. Dear Omar now we get an answer i.e they get punishment because they fill Pakistan XI by a winning Pakistan XI.
Irshad
Jun 12, 2010 03:24pm
Without wanting to rob Mr. Ahsan Butt of his thunder, the fact that Pakistan will be slaughtered in England is a motherhood statement - we all know it without these words of wisdom having to be cascaded to us by Mr. Butt. That Pakistan should have to call on Shahid Afridi to lead the team is in itself a manifestation of our total bankruptcy in terms of resources. Whatever little we have is at Mr. Afridi's whims and fancies; like making Mohammad Asif sit out of the 20/20 World Cup except for one game against Australia. It is ironical that your best bowler should sit in the dugout, while those who got chosen ahead of him got belted all over the park. Also, can anyone explain why the promising Hammad Azam was taken with the team but did not get to play a single game when Misbah ul Haq and others were consistently failing? We blame Shoaib Malik but he has a far greater stake to playing than Afridi. I think he is being used as a whipping boy and scapegoat whenever we run out of excuses. As for his namesake, Mr. Akhtar, his playing days are over but he keeps turning up like a bad penny. Again, at the risk of sounding repetitious, so bankrupt are we of resources that even the Akhtar will do.
Abbas Khan
Jun 12, 2010 04:08pm
Wasim was exceptional, with or without ball tempering, but I doubt Waqar and Imran's abilities. Actually Sarfraz was inventor of ball tempering and passed on his techniques to new generation, including Waqar, who benefited most. Imran as skipper would only bowl, when conditions suited him. I mean, new ball, new batsman or tail enders.
Abdul Mujeeb Khan
Jun 12, 2010 04:21pm
I think the views expressed by writer are an extreme form of over-generalization; he has described events with language that is highly coloured and emotionally loaded. His statement is unnecessarily mislabeling players in such a fashion, that they would always perform low. In real scenario, you cant pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it exclusively so that your vision of all reality becomes darkened, like the drop of ink that discolour the entire beaker of water. As author has predicted ill performance for many players does not necessarily mean that they would produce substandard performances in Asia Cup. Most importunately, in ground; if some one playing to produce runs or struggling to do well in all departments of game included fielding, balling, and batting. No matter, if they even loss matches. Here I can quote recent example of T20 match. Pakistan lost match against Australia in T20 semi final this year, that match was completely thriller especially last two over. As a quality cricket fans we should realize that this is the beauty of cricket that you can
Mohsin
Jun 12, 2010 05:15pm
Interesting............giving the board to an Ausie......why not. Those guys downunder really know how to run cricket affairs........no wonder they continue to be world beaters for so many years consistently..........Imran why don't you take a break from politics.......its become way too dirty for a gentleman like yourself.
Mani
Jun 12, 2010 06:05pm
This article is like a superb catch that changes the state of the match, one that Pakistan threatens to take but then drops it. Great humor and well written. I agree with your sentiments completely.
Mustafa
Jun 12, 2010 06:14pm
Shoaib is our best bowler and our greatest match-winner over the past decade. Who cares about whether or not he drinks, its irrelevant to the cricket.
Amtul Mussawer
Jun 12, 2010 06:42pm
Hahaha. Loved your suggestion about Hussy
Waseem
Jun 12, 2010 07:53pm
Kidnapping Mike Hussey doesn't look that bad, but think about making Ejaz "butt", chairman of ECC (England and Wales Cricket Board). Guys what do you think? Should we start a movement on Face Book?
Anil
Jun 12, 2010 10:07pm
Ahsan BUTT for President !
Arbab Gondal
Jun 13, 2010 01:35am
The guy is absolutely spot on!
Fawad Ayub
Jun 13, 2010 02:57am
Great piece of work. I encourage you to write more.
Umair Rizvi
Jun 13, 2010 03:37am
Ahsan, my friend i can't agree more with you. the only thing i would say is that Kamran Akmal has been given alot of chances behind the wickets without any competition. he has batted at different positions and finally he has started hitting at top order. Sarfaraz on the other hand was sent to Australia in the last test and eyes were glued to him even then Kamran was back for ODIs. GREAT FOR SARFARAZ'S SELF ESTEEM!
Abbas
Jun 13, 2010 06:10am
Great one Ahsan but none of it will happen: 1. Pick the batsmen entirely on the basis of their fielding ability==>No 2. Don
salman Irshad
Jun 13, 2010 06:19am
I guess this blogger is going too harsh, but i guess he is right too.......
Jibran
Jun 13, 2010 06:19am
Well done on the analysis!!
Rana
Jun 13, 2010 08:10am
I dont agree with the writer at all. English conditions change dramatically in the second half of the season and pitches become really Batting friendly. Our team would do really well. Please stop publishing conspiracy theories and back the team especially the captain. We do have a ray of hope and lets all stay positive. let me also tell you that Shoaib Malik will respond positively. We have a decent batting line now with Akmal Brothers, Salman Butt and Malik being there. Our Bowlers are still a potent threat with Shoaib Akhtar,Amer, Asif, Saeed Ajmal & Abdur Rehman being there. Lets back them up for once with the same passion that we use to excessively critize the players.
Asad
Jun 14, 2010 08:52am
Same (or similar) number of cameras are in place for them as well as us.. and minute by minute reels of all such recordings are available to all (including Pakistan team management) for further analysis and startegic decision making.. yet, we have not so far seen Tait/Bond/Steyn biting into (or otherwise illegaly tampering) a ball.. you think our men would have kept quite if they found such evidence... ?
Mushtaq Khan
Jun 13, 2010 11:00am
Criticism is an art and trust me you are master in it
Saleh
Jun 13, 2010 02:57pm
Nice article. Problem is those who can resolve these issues do not (or cannot) read. It is like everything else in the country. People vent their frustrations out by either actions or writing and all their protest in any form fall on deaf years.
Dr. Asad Sadick, Germany
Jun 13, 2010 04:24pm
Are you implying that you need the selectors chair or for that matter even Butts chair.
Akbar
Jun 13, 2010 04:59pm
Some of your observations are right on spot but I personally think that you have gone a bit too far away from the game. Firstly the captain need support of the board as well as the nation, for a turn around in our cricket fortunes. By doing so, the fear regarding certain players undermining the capt can be neutralised. Same is true for Akmal, he is really a talented player but needs to be roped by sending a 2nd wicket keeper with him. I personally think Akhtar should say good bye to the short version of the game & concentrate on tests. He can breath amongst his spells in a test match. He is otherwise unfit for 20/20 & ODI's for the simple reason that on so many of his comebacks, he has proved too expensive & ineffective. We know ODI cricket is about containing & taking wickets, which he has not done on many many occasions. Secondly our cricket administrators needs to show some maturity & abandon the U turns on disciplinary matters, irrespective of the status of the player. Lastly I would say that we did not loose in AUS because of our bowlers. The matter of concern was captaincy. The same set of bowlers brought the team in a winning position on many occasions on the twin tour of NZ/AUS. It was poor fielding coupled with unthinkable leadership to resultantly loose the matches in a heart breaking manner.
Akbar
Jun 13, 2010 05:16pm
When Imran & 2 W,s were swinging the ball & broke the noses/toes of best batsmen of the world, it was called ball tampering. But when Darren Gough, Shane Bond, shaun Tait & Dale Steyn started swinging the cricket ball to the same extent, it is called REVERSE SWING. Isn't it surprising ?
Mushtaq Ahmed
Jun 14, 2010 02:18am
Hilarious ! We need to concentrate on Shahid Afridi , as a Captain. He must know the weakness and strength of opponents. He should be able to think on the field and devise / revise strategy to get them out. His defensive field placing between 7 - 15 overs against Aussies in semi - final of Twenty 20 was the main reason of losing the match. His own batting and bowling performances has been very patchy.
Akbar
Jun 14, 2010 02:10pm
You must recognize the fact that the white people are just suffering from discrimination. Can you count how many of sub continental players have been reported for chucking & throwing starting from Murli ? the highest wicket taker in both forms of cricket. The list is very long,starting from Murli,shoaib,afridi, Malik Harbajan,Chauhan,Parera from SL & how many more were under thwe microscope for unknown reasons. Same is true for ball tampering. Players from other teams have been caught on camera,recent example is that of Broad on SA tour,with out much hue & cry. Then we have examples of Atherton but how did they hush it up.
tariq
Jun 15, 2010 12:18am
mr. Butt you are a very negative person. Before the games have begun you have already made your decision that failure is in the near future. This is probably the best team they could select according to the circumstances. Let them display their talents and they will do good. Pakistan has a lot of talent and I think they are going to prove you wrong. Please give them encouragement so that they can bring laurels to the country.
Babar
Jun 23, 2010 04:38am
A very well written satire on Pakistan cricket. Very well done Ahsan.
SAJJAD HUSSAIN
Jul 07, 2010 08:03am
aoa, just for the fun sake its good but I really hope we should concentrate more on cricket than personalities.