PTI withdraws ticket from Punjab president

Published Apr 18, 2013 06:47am

Imran_Khan_File_670
PTI chief Imran Khan. — File photo

LAHORE: The Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) has reportedly withdrawn party ticket from party’s Punjab president Ejaz Chaudhry allegedly on the charges of bank default. Mr Chaudhry, who himself was member of party’s central parliamentary board, was awarded ticket for PP-148.

When contacted, Mr Chaudhry said that his party ticket had so far not been withdrawn but he would obey party decision. “If my party ticket is withdrawn, I will not withdraw my nomination papers from the Election Commission to express that my moral position is clear,” he asserted.

Interestingly, now Punjab and Lahore district’s elected presidents are not in the run for general election and will be “supervising party’s election campaign in Punjab and Lahore”.

At a ceremony to award party tickets to PTI Lahore candidates, the party gave first surprise as the Lahore finalists did not include district president Abdul Aleem Khan, who was hopeful for two constituencies – NA-127 and PP-147. Both of these seats were given to his close aides Nasrullah Mughal and Shoaib Siddiqui, who were earlier not shortlisted earlier and Aleem Khan had went into a protest mode.

However, Aleem called his ouster from run for general election for a bigger role as supervising the election campaign of all 13 National Assembly and 26 Punjab Assembly constituencies.

Similarly, the party candidates state that Ejaz Chaudhry’s ticket had been withdrawn so that he could look after party campaign across the province. “After the award of tickets, all candidates had gone to their respective constituencies and the PTI Punjab office was feared to fell silent,” a party official said. He said the party needed top management active to supervise and coordinate election campaign in Lahore and Punjab.

Meanwhile, it is learnt, Aleem started contacting all Lahore candidates and coordinating for their election offices’ inauguration by party chief Imran Khan on April 19 and 20.

The PTI candidates have launched their election campaigns in their constituencies and expressing that people were giving their overwhelming positive response for the party.

An interesting combat is expected in NA-120, where PTI has pitched party’s Punjab general secretary Dr Yasmin Rashid. Though Dr Yasmin had worked and launched party campaign NA-127 and PP-154 for the last two-and-a-half-year, she had willingly accepted to contest against PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif in his fortress.

While Nawaz Sharif’s campaign have been launched by his wife Kalsoom Nawaz and daughter Maryam Nawaz, Dr Yasmin’s team of volunteers and workers are going door-to-door and contacting people for their votes.

Dr Yasmin is visiting different markets and shops and meeting traders for votes.

“The people’s response is highly positive as they want change from the status quo. Even those, who are afraid of PML-N top leadership’s victimization, have assured their full support to the PTI,” she claimed.

PTI chief organiser in Lahore Aleem Khan said the award of PML-N tickets to candidates reflected that the party itself was not satisfied with the performance of its elected representatives during the last five years.

“The PML-N has nothing to show to masses except a “Jangla Bus Service and a couple of over-head bridges,” he added.

Party workers staged a protest demonstration against the award of party ticket to Zaheer Abbas Khokhar for PP-160. The protesters chanted slogans against Zaheer Abbas and demanded that party ticket be given to Malik Sarfraz.

Syed M Ahmed
Apr 18, 2013 03:27am
Good choice!
havi
Apr 18, 2013 03:35am
This is very first campaign nationwide so do expect some follies but PTI has done superb job organizing youngsters and fresh from the ship. PTI would Insha allah make bang and that's our pray from core of TRUE Pakistani citizens !
Shahpur
Apr 18, 2013 04:14am
People are very active now. The news media specially internet is central. Because of this internet I feel I am in Pakistan, and I also feel what people are saying. I see lot of people doing lot of good things. I read about call for a full bench of SC for trial. Musharaff is very important, therefore his trail, is very important, both for Musharraf and Pakistan. Specially somebody who served as head of state and in the armed forces of Pakistan.
pakiboy
Apr 18, 2013 04:31am
lol bara jaldi khayal aa gaya .. iss say pehlay so rahay thay .. !!
Sultan Alvi
Apr 18, 2013 05:41am
Dr Yasmin Rashid: We, from Toronto, Canada, wish you a big win against Nawaz in Lahore. Our prayers and best wishes are for you Doctor Sahiba and for PTI. God bless PTI and Imran Khan!
Sey
Apr 18, 2013 07:34am
For an English website, the level of this post is appalling. Lack of decent grammar and punctuation implies it has been written by a high school kid and not proof read and/or edited!
Junaid Hashmat
Apr 18, 2013 08:34am
PTI will win . InshaALLAH :)
haris
Apr 18, 2013 09:43am
Good move by PTI, I am willing to see intellectuals like Aleem Khan, Shireen Mazari and Asad Umer from PTI in Senate (upper house) rather than National Assembly. I also wish to see Dr. Arif alvi in senate but he however decided to contest at NA-250 Karachi.
MAlvi
Apr 18, 2013 10:32am
I like PTI and wish them success. I also like Musharraf also. Pakistan did well under his leadership. He is ex-president and was commander in chief of Pakistan's forces. He fought two wars for the country. The way he is being treated is a shame. If he wants to lead the country again, give him a chance. Let him run in the election, and let people make the decision. I am so sad to see what is happening in Pakistan. The country is on course of self-destruction. Under these circumstances, I have no sympathy for any one there. You reap what you sow.
Asad
Apr 18, 2013 11:23am
I agree with the grammatical mistakes.Its not unusual to translate urdu prose directly into english word for word.Better than 'writing' urdu in english.
junaid
Apr 18, 2013 11:58am
hey Asad...Aleem khan is not an intellectual at all...he is a business tycoon...
ifti
Apr 18, 2013 12:11pm
We are with Imran Khan, Keep itup.
Jamal
Apr 18, 2013 12:17pm
Ah.. Did no one proof read it?
Malick
Apr 18, 2013 02:10pm
Malvi please you can take Musharraf to your home for fighting your home problems
Tariq
Apr 18, 2013 02:49pm
PTI is going to win and if not as Mr.Khan said will sit in opposition and will play a real opposition part.
M.AKHTAR KHAN
Apr 18, 2013 04:29pm
I mohammad akhtar khan baloch adv high court make efforts for tranceparancy of society nd elevate corrupt political culture i recomanded by all tehsil distt nd provincial bodies for MPA candidate in constituency province punjab pakistan PP286 i have been nominated by parliamentry board i submit my ticket issued by competent authority to concernd returning officer but another ticket issued in same constituency PP286 to NAZIR CHANDIA after reciving FIVE MILLION rupees .i am leaving PTI IMRAN KHAN as protest my ticket nd my snapes can see in site. REGARDS. M.AKHTAR KHAN BALOCH.
humi
Apr 19, 2013 04:59am
pti will win inshallah
Naila
Apr 19, 2013 10:37am
Way to go, Dr. Yasmin .. stay active and sincere, and you'll win, insha'Allah.
SAM Ahmad
Apr 19, 2013 11:14am
Mr. M. Akhtar Khan, I am really ashamed to read your comments and you claim that you are an ADVOCATE of the HIGH COURT. If people with your 'linguistic talents' can be elevated to such a prestigious level then it says a lot about the current condition of the Educational Standards of Pakistan Law Schools. Are you Really an Advocate! I doubt it very much. In any case it is a blessing in disguise for PTI and for my beloved country PAKISTAN that you are not associated with PTI. Moreover, your decision to resign from PTI membership because your ticket was withdrawn, shows that you were never really committed to serve the country or your constituents. Your sole purpose was to be elected to the Assembly and most probably join the "Loot Brigade". I could have advised you to serve PTI as an ordinary member but I believe you will bring more harm to the Party than any benefit. Finally, I hope that one day you will realize your folly in posting your "Notice" on the Internet, which has exposed your basic low character to everyone. If I were in charge of PTI or any other Party, I would have carried out a background check, as part of a due diligence process, and never accepted your basic membership in my Party. I hope Allah will give wisdom to Imran Khan to be aware of persons such as you, who are self centered and have no regard for the poor masses whom you "were aspiring to serve". SAM Ahmad, Kuwait
taha
Apr 19, 2013 11:52am
my best wishes for dr yasmin .may allah succeed her................