Wasim Akram calls off Bollywood marriage rumours

Published Apr 12, 2013 04:24pm

Sushmita Sen,  Wasim Akram, Aik Khilari, Aik Haseena", cricket, rumour
(L-R) Sushmita Sen and Wasim Akram on the sets of "Aik Khilari, Aik Haseena"- Courtesy Photo

KARACHI: Pakistan cricket icon Wasim Akram demanded privacy and respect from fans and media alike Friday, calling for an end “once and for all” to rumours he is marrying Bollywood heroine Sushmita Sen.

The famed paceman has been linked constantly in the media to the 1994 Miss Universe since they were judges in 2008 Indian dance show “Aik Khilari, Aik Haseena” (A player, a beauty).

Akram, a widower since his wife Huma died in October 2009, said he is fed up.

“I am tired of denying such rumours and now I want this to end once and for all,” he told AFP after Indian media claimed Thursday that the couple were about to tie the knot in Mumbai.

Pakistani television channels also splashed the story, hotly anticipating another high-profile cross-border union after the 2010 nuptials of Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik and Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza.

Akram said he and Sen are good friends only.

“She is one of the most graceful and decent ladies I have come across,” said Akram of the 37-year-old Bollywood star. “It was huge fun working as judge with Sushmita as she is a thorough professional and presents herself gracefully.”

The dance show also featured Indian cricket stars Harbhajan Singh, Dinesh Karthik, Irfan Pathan, Shanthakumaran Sreesanth, Nikhil Chopra and Vinod Kambli and was also telecast on a leading Pakistani channel.

Akram described the show as a good experience.

“The show was well received and was admired across the borders and that was it. If I get another chance to work with her I will do but I want the media of both the countries to respect us,” said Akram.

He further mentioned that he is devoted to bringing up his two sons, Taimur and Akbar.

“I want to bring them up and make them good and successful human beings, so my life is devoted to my sons.”

Sen has two adopted daughters and has yet to marry.

Wasim Akram said their personal lives should be respected.

“I have my own personal life and she has her own, so the media and fans should not disrespect that,” said Akram, who has taken a year's leave as a bowling coach in the Indian Premier League to spend time with sons.

“I have always felt at home in India and the kind of respect I get in India is very pleasing so I will continue to work as and when I get time, but as my sons also needed time I have taken leave from the IPL this year,” said Wasim Akram.

milli
Apr 12, 2013 11:53am
Well spoken by Wasim, so let everyone respect their wishes. I have nothing but admiration for Wasim and wish him all the best, a great player and a great human being. Wish others could learn from him what being humble and honourable means..
Sayed
Apr 12, 2013 12:24pm
Both are thorough professionals and everyone should respect their personal lives.
Magister Ludi
Apr 12, 2013 01:10pm
So the rumours are true. They are getting married! Tell me why should I care about two multi-millinoire getting married?
raja hindustani
Apr 12, 2013 04:10pm
Wasim Akram- The most respected Pakistani Cricketer in India.
Rashid Sultan
Apr 12, 2013 04:13pm
Wasim bhai, you definitely command respect. And the border is no barrier to you and majority of decent citizens like our extreme politicians, trouble makers seem to make it appear to the general public. Good luck in whatever you do and the media should stop this intrusion into your personal lives.
Khizr
Apr 12, 2013 05:05pm
No garam masala in the news :) !
James Varghese from Kerelam, South India
Apr 12, 2013 05:09pm
Dear Wasim Akram Bhai, You are one of the MOST liked Pakistani Cricket personalities in India. Personally I like you the most and you were also among the Best Swing Bowlers the world has seen, salute you sir for your sincere thoughts and plain talking. You are welcome to my state of Kerela in India. request media, both Indian & Pakistani to respect his personal life.
Ali Hassan
Apr 12, 2013 06:21pm
Really a GHB
Masila
Apr 12, 2013 06:52pm
why can not a man and woman be in united as the great Allah blesses. he can marry as he wishes to five or four and she is one and she will happyliy live in Pakistan. For peace and harmony they can ans we bless them with the grace of Allah.
kulukku baba
Apr 12, 2013 07:07pm
I respect him for jus tone thing. Not re-marrying 10 other women. Remaining a widower is a big deal.
khan
Apr 13, 2013 12:08am
Why there is NO denial from Sushmita Sen?? Why press dont ask her and talk to her ?? Why are they only talking to WA??
S. A. M.
Apr 13, 2013 12:16am
when there is smoke there is fire. it has been seen that what is vehemently denied later proves to be correct. there may have been something that is being splashed in the media. Sushmita Good Luck to you coz u need it!!!!
Krishnan
Apr 13, 2013 12:26am
When Imram becomes the President ,hope Wasim will be made the Foreign Minister.Good replacement for Rabbani begum.
Karachi Wala
Apr 13, 2013 12:38am
Seems like the dresses both wearing were cut out from same peice of fabric. Good luck to both.
akhter husain
Apr 13, 2013 07:12am
Every gain has a price so is the fame This is a small price that one pays to remain in the news.Endure and enjoy it.
pakistani
Apr 13, 2013 08:27am
I thought it was Imran Khan.
AKB
Apr 13, 2013 09:11am
She has also denied the same in Indian media reports , u can look up the same by googling.....
AKB
Apr 13, 2013 09:15am
Waqar Younis, Imran Khan and Rameez Raja are also well respected....Waqar is a coach with SUnrisers and Mushtaq Ahmed with Delhi Daredevils in the IPL
Krish Chennai
Apr 13, 2013 10:24am
Humble suggestion, WA should try "acting" in Bollywood himself. He would be more popular than all the Khans put together. He could move with both his children to India. Best Goodwill Ambassador too !
lahoriates2013
Apr 13, 2013 10:27am
Leave the poor fellow alone :)
Shakil
Apr 13, 2013 10:52am
even if they do, let it be personal and if it happens it will come out sooner or later, whats the rush?
Shakil
Apr 13, 2013 10:55am
On the same note, they also have enough working life left and aftermath of this wedding, hostility will rise against them! Hence they need to be careful!
Abdullah Hussain
Apr 13, 2013 10:59am
Wasim Akram may marry anyone he likes. Being a Pakistani celebrity he has some responsibility which he understands well. His privacy should be respected while Wasim Akram should also respect the sentiments of his fans in Pakistan
vishwajeet(IND)
Apr 13, 2013 11:51am
susmita sen ko aur koi nahi mila kya ??
BEA
Apr 13, 2013 12:05pm
Why cannot the media just leave them alone if they get married let them if they do not it theri choice, so why are they hounding these two. WA seems like a nice chap after reading a bit about him he seems to have doen a good job with his childern after his wife passed away, come on media in Pakistan and India just leave these two alone and let them get on with what they want to do i do hope they get married in secret that will really annoy the press.
noorilhuda
Apr 14, 2013 02:15am
Please Wasim Akram MUST marry Sushmita Sen - it will raise our country's profile and add glamour to it!