Born in 1965 in Karachi, Nazia Hassan was the most influential and probably the only real female pop singer of the 80s and 90s in both India and Pakistan.

Hassan is mourned today with a vengeance that is far greater than the music she made. The reason is simple; Nazia Hasan had a quality that went beyond talent. She was a star in the true sense of the overused and misunderstood word. Her contribution to music itself may be minimal but her contribution to breaking the shackles of musical orthodoxy cannot be forgotten. Perhaps unwittingly, she was much more than just a singer. And that is why the tragically short life of Hassan is so important

Today marks her birth anniversary. (Click here to read more)

(Excerpt from an article published in the September 2000 edition of Herald)

ynr
Apr 03, 2013 11:08am
Nazia Hassan transcended political boundaries and gave great music to Indians like myself. We pray the lord almighty that her soul continues to rest in peace and also that peace prevails between India and Pakistan.
MARIAM
Apr 03, 2013 11:37am
AMEEN
dalbirk
Apr 03, 2013 01:01pm
I remember Nazia Hassan alongwith Marina Khan as the two bright spots coming out of Pakistan during my teenage years .Nazia Hassan's galace pants were a rage in ( North ) India in the 80s . Post 80s I think Pakistan lost everything whatever we could term as genius
pikchermania
Apr 03, 2013 01:35pm
The Best Singer....her voice just get in your soul.... I hav'nt seen her but i wish could.... :( when she died i was just 7 years orld :P Today when i see her pics i wonder how beautiful was she that time.... Sshe is My only fvrt singer in girls.
zak
Apr 03, 2013 02:08pm
In todays times, the poor dear wouldve been prime taliban target..... we all grieve for our dear sister. At the way things are shaping in our 'religo-cultural' sphere, there'll never be another Nazia Hassan. God rest her soul in peace.
Vaibhav from Mumbai
Apr 03, 2013 03:33pm
She was very very famous in India and the first real pop star of the subcontinent. Wish she could have lived much longer. A legend in true sense. God bless her soul.
Joe Smith
Apr 03, 2013 03:46pm
I think I met her and the brother back in the 1970s when I attended the Lahore American School. If I recollect even then we looked at both of them as stars.
sajidali@yahoo.com
Apr 03, 2013 05:35pm
I still miss her legacy
toable11@gmail.com
Apr 03, 2013 05:38pm
her singing and her character is very much missed....it almost seems as i knew her....
S. A. M.
Apr 04, 2013 01:43am
undoubtedly the best pop singer of the 80s in the subcontinent. Her music even now sounds so good that very few so called singer have been able to be even near her. She gave a new style and direction to music in the sub continent. We are and will remain very proud of Nazia Hassan and pray that may Allah grant her soul a comfortable place in heaven.
sohail abbasi
Apr 04, 2013 07:22am
I'll miss her always,her voice was incredible,I'm soooo sad why we've lost such an amazing artist
Sarmad
Apr 04, 2013 07:35am
Great Person with beautiful voice. I never used the words for NAZIA HASSAN (was, were or gone etc) because she is still with us . Her memories and songs will be with us forever. Her social work is a great example for us. she is a honour for Pakistan. we should continue her social work with Zoheb Hassan. May Allah bless her soul peace. We all Pakistani miss you very much. where r you?
baakhlaq
Apr 04, 2013 03:37pm
In all her songs she was properly dressed and not like some of the modern day artists, but Islamic clergy spared no chance to criticize her, poor soul, despite her exceptional talent , beauty and fans could not live a happy life.
Kamran
Apr 04, 2013 05:39pm
Grew up listening to her music in the 80. Still think of her after so many days, and am sure if she was with us still she would someone more then just a singer RIP Nazia
Muhammad
Apr 05, 2013 12:26am
true rock star of Pakistan
xploit
Apr 05, 2013 04:10am
UN TIMELY LOST
Zohaib Siddiqui
Apr 05, 2013 06:45am
NAZIA HASSAN IS A LEGEND STAR OF SUB-CONTINENT. WE ARE PROUD OF HER PERSONALITY...
Zohaib Siddiqui