Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Ghous Bakhsh Barozai.— File Photo

QUETTA: Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Ghous Bakhsh Barozai, taking notice of the delay in distribution of relief goods among earthquake-hit people in Mashkel, has ordered the officials concerned to submit a report on the matter within three days.

He visited the earthquake-stricken area on Sunday and expressed dissatisfaction over the performance of the local administration and termed the situation deplorable.

“It is a matter of concern that only 350 out of 900 tents have been distributed so far among the affected people while other relief goods have also not been provided in time,” Nawab Barozai said. He ordered immediate provision of relief goods among the people living under open sky.

Speaking to the people of the area, he held out an assurance that the government would develop quake-hit Mashkel as a model town in the area.

The people informed the chief minister about the delay in supply of relief goods, including tents and food, to them and demanded that maximum tents should be provided to the people who were living under the open sky.

He said a comprehensive package would be announced soon for the rehabilitation of Mashkel under which the town would be reconstructed along with new roads which would link the area with the rest of the province.

He said the quake had destroyed or damaged almost all houses and shops in the area and said the provincial government would use all its resources for rehabilitation and resettlement of the affected people.

The chief minister condemned former representatives of the area who, though elected by the people, never came to the area to look after the people marooned by the tragedy. However, he said the caretaker government would take all possible steps for resolving problems of the area and providing relief to the people.

“I will personally monitor distribution of relief goods among the affected people,” Nawab Barozai pledged, adding that Dalbandin-Mashkel road project would be included in the current year’s development programme.

He said he would take up the issue of bringing construction material from Iran with the federal government for speedy reconstruction of destroyed houses of the area.

“All hurdles will be removed in bringing construction material from Iran,” the chief minister assured the people.

Talking to newsmen in Dalbandin, he said Balochistan was still suffering from heavy burden of huge pervious cabinet and in this situation forming a caretaker cabinet was difficult.

Replying to a question about elections, he said the army would be deployed at all sensitive areas of the province to ensure holding of peaceful, free, fair and transparent elections in the province.

He said the Balochistan government had asked Islamabad to increase electricity quota of the province to resolve the issue of loadshedding which was badly affecting the agriculture sector of the province.

Updated Apr 22, 2013 04:25pm

More From This Section

Comments (Closed)