NAUSHAHRO FEROZE, March 8: A complete shutter-down strike was observed in Moro town, 27 kilometres from here, on Friday in protest against the kidnapping of a doctor.

All markets remained shuttered in the small town throughout the day as a large number of people belonging to the Memon community, their friends, leaders of shopkeepers association, Moro Citizen Ittehad, and activists of nationalist parties and traders’ unions led by Nano Abdullah Memon held a demonstration outside the press club.

Paramedical staff and doctors of Moro taluka hospital also boycotted their work to take part in the protest.Nano Abdullah Memon said that his brother Dr Mumtaz Ali Memon, 56, was kidnapped on Thursday by four armed men in a car who intercepted his motorcycle near Dewaan Jo Kario village while he was returning from the government hospital in Shah Beg Sabki village and took him away.

He said that they had had staged sit-in on the National Highway on Thursday evening but dispersed peacefully when the SP Naushahro Feroze assured that the doctor would be recovered soon.

He said that despite the SP’s assurance that police would be in touch with heirs of the hostage and inform them about the progress, they did not show any interest in the case.

They appealed to higher authorities to order recovery of the doctor and warned they would prolong the protest if police did not move into action.

The kidnappers had not contacted the family so far, he said.The SP of Naushahro Feroze said that police were making serious efforts for the doctor’s recovery and an FIR would be lodged soon.

More From This Section

Comments (0) (Closed)