• The first coin operated video games were introduced in the 1970s, with titles such as ‘Computer Space’ and ‘Pong’ gaining popularity.
• Popular game consoles that dominate current markets include the Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony Playstation 3. The three companies are battling to gain the attention of gamers in the competitive gaming industry.
• Nintendo have helped grow the video games industry beyond just hardcore gamers thank to games such as Nintendogs, Brain Training and Wii Sports, titles that take advantage of Nintendo’s unique gaming platforms and appeal to casual gamers.
• In the past the primary input for video games has been the handheld controller, this has changed recently as game makers look to capture new audiences with new interactive input devices. Examples of this include cameras which respond to user movement, guitars, microphones, touch screens, motion sensitive controllers and more.
• A popular example of multiplayer gaming can be seen in massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG). These games enable large numbers of players to interact in the same virtual world, creating fictional characters, living virtual lives and experiencing the challenges and quests that various MMORPG games offer.
• A good example of this type of gaming can be seen in the popularity of World of Warcraft (WoW), this game has become immensely popular and currently has over 10 million paying subscribers.
• Depending on your view point, video games can be seen as in both a positive and negative light. While users can be entertained as they improve hand-eye coordination, problem solving skills and other abilities, there is also research of extended gaming limiting children’s physical activity and an overexposure to violence at a young age.
— Compiled by The Surfer