haseeb ahsan, pakistan cricket, pakistan cricket board, pcb, haseeb ahsan wasim akram
Haseeb Ahsan. -Photo courtesy PCB

KARACHI: Former Pakistan off-spinner and selector Haseeb Ahsan, credited with picking legend Wasim Akram in 1984, died Friday after prolonged illness, a family friend said. He was 73.

Ahsan was regarded as one of the most straight-forward cricket administrators, and headed Pakistan's World Cup 1987 organising committee and served as a national team manager.

Karachi City Cricket Association president Sirajul Islam Bukhari confirmed Ahsan died early Friday in the city.

“Ahsan fought illness with courage,” said Bukhari of Ahsan who was on dialysis for the last two years.

“He served the game well and was particularly supportive of cricket in Karachi.”

Ahsan played 12 Tests between 1958-62 and was a member of the Pakistan team on its first tour to the West Indies in 1958. He made his debut at Bridgetown where his old friend Hanif Mohammad scored 337 -- still Pakistan's highest Test score.

Former Pakistan captain and legendary paceman Wasim Akram said it was Ahsan who selected him for the first time in 1984.

“As the chief selector, Ahsan convinced everyone of my talent and selected me against New Zealand,” Wasim told AFP.

“He was very close to me and as a powerful selector he spotted young talent and threw them in the bigger battles.

“I have lost a very close supporter and it's a great loss for Pakistan cricket,” said Wasim.

Pakistan Cricekt Board chairman Zaka Ashraf paid tribute to Ahsan:

“Haseeb was not only a superb Test cricketer but also was a good administrator who intimately knew the game. His death is a loss to the cricketing fraternity.”

Ahsan scored 61 runs and picked 27 wickets in his brief career, hit by bowling action controversy.

Updated Mar 08, 2013 10:17am

Saleem Kazmi
Mar 09, 2013 01:10am
you are absolutely correct!
Capt C M Khan
Mar 08, 2013 11:10am
I have admired his contributions over the years.
Janjua
Mar 08, 2013 02:27pm
if there ever was sincerely dedicated and selfless cricketing administrator Pakistan ever had, it was this true gentleman Haseeb Ahsan, never afraid to speak his mind, and his only concern was to serve cricket, not for personal gains, name or fame but to make all us Pakistanis proud. May Allah Ta'lah have mercy on his soul and grant him higer ranks.
excalibur
Mar 08, 2013 11:17am
Wasim Akram you are a really ungrateful person. It was Javed miandad who spotted and gave you the first break And later you unashamedly let Miandad down by conspiring with Imran Khan Shows your weak character only
Huma
Mar 08, 2013 05:57pm
RIP
haris
Mar 08, 2013 01:34pm
"Javed miandad spotted Wasim Akram..." Where it is reported? And I don't buy your idea of Pakistani Team conspiring against Miandad. Miandad never himself mentioned it anywhere, so where did your learned the CRAP?
Dr. Salaria, Aamir Ahmad
Mar 08, 2013 01:22pm
INNA LILLA HAY WA INNA ILLEHEY RAJAYOON. From Almighty God we come and to HIM we all have to return one day, sooner or later. Successful are only those who have spent this mortal life in-line with the teachings of the Holy Quran and the great Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). May God Almighty grant eternal peace and solace to the departed soul of Haseeb Ahsan and grant the bereaved family, friends, relatives, peers, associates, classmates, community members, colleagues as well as all of his domestic and global cricket fans, supporters, sponsors, admirers and well-wishers the courage, fortitude and the strength to bear this irreparable and untimely loss. Aamen, Tsum Aameen.
Kermani
Mar 08, 2013 12:30pm
He was great administrator of cricket in Pakistan .
Yawar
Mar 09, 2013 04:02am
I distinctly remember Khan Mohammed telling me personally in a converstion I had with him in 1986 that he had discovered Wasim Akram. The point is that Wasim Akram did not give respect to Haseeb Ahsan for discovering or selecting him but he did it because apparently Haseeb Ahsan was a straight forward and cricket savy administrator that was good for Pakistan cricket.
Nazir K Ali
Mar 09, 2013 04:30am
What a great cricketer and an administrator. People like him are scarce in the PCB. Rest on peacefully Haseeb Ahsan. Allah Ta'ala loves you more than us. Salams
Nazir K Ali
Mar 09, 2013 04:34am
How very precise you are. Wasim never impressed me much as having good manners and behavior. He is what we call a 'na shukr.' Before and after shaking hands with him, one should count the fingers. Salams
Anees Ahmed
Mar 09, 2013 05:13am
Haseeb Ahsan. I was in PIA engineering and Haseeb was in PIA too. I was returning from Newyork and Dubai was one of the stop overs. I was told... Why don't you go over to Saudi Arabia for Umrah?. It was Haeeb's ceta telex to PIA office in Dubai that got me the Umrah visa while I was in Dubai. I performed Umrah. Returned to Karachi. Stopped over to Haseeb's office and said "thank you". Ans he said " Oh you are very welcome". I did not know his cricketing affiliation. I liked the man and his attitude towards helping people. That was june/july 1979. In sept 1979, I came in to Saudi Arabia to work for Saudi Airline. I met Haseeb Again and he wished me luck. This is 2013. I am here in Saudi Arabia. On my trips back home, I made it a point to say Hello to Haseeb and he would always smile in recognition and return my hello and good bye with a "good luck" wish. But then I lost touch, would ask my friends off him but did not pursue. Now, I am back to say one last time "hello". I will miss Haseeb's knowing smile. I will miss his words of " good luck". Haseeb Ahsan, the Man. Good luck to you Sir! And God speed towards HIM.
Pervez
Mar 09, 2013 05:48am
I was so very sorry to hear about the death of Hassib Ahan, I have not met him or seen him for a long time, regret he was completely ignored by the media and sports talk shows on the TV
javed
Mar 09, 2013 11:12pm
Haseeb Ahsan was one of Pakistan cricket's greats. His guts, his love for his country and his love for cricket made him a formidable person. He will be sorely missed and may God rest his soul in peace.