QUETTA: A complete strike was observed in Zhob town and adjoining areas on Monday in protest against the killing of six labourers in the Shadi Kur area of Gwadar district.
All trade and business centres remained closed in the town in response to the strike call by Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam (Ideological) and Bashar Dost Caravan.
According to reports, workers and supporters of JUI-I and Caravan placed barricades on national highway linking Quetta to Zhob and Dera Ismail Khan, blocking it for traffic.
Condemning the killing of labourers, leaders said police and other security forces had failed in protecting life of people.
Meanwhile, Senator Humayun Khan Mandokhel and former finance minister and member of Balochistan Assembly Jaffar Khan Mandokhel condemned the killings and termed it against tribal traditions.
They urged the government to pay compensation to the heirs of slain labourers.
DIRECTIVE: Balochistan Governor Nawab Zulfiqar Ali Magsi took taken serious notice of the killing of labourers near Pasni and directed the Commissioner of Makran division on Monday to submit a report on the incident immediately.
In a statement, the governor regretted that such an incident took place despite the fact that a free hand had been given to the administration and security forces to nip any trouble in the bud.
“Terrorist elements are hatching conspiracy against the people of Balochistan,” Nawab Magsi said and directed the official concerned to take strict action against those involved in such incidents.
A spokesman for the banned Balochistan Liberation Front (BLF), Gohram Baloch claimed responsibility for Sunday’s attack on labourers.
Talking to reporters by phone from an unknown place, he said BLF had carried out the attack in Shadi Kur which killed six people. The organisation, he added, had earlier warned the companies working in the area to abandon their work on projects launched by the government.