NEW DELHI: Australia's touring cricket team said Thursday that it had held talks with the Indian board after the deadly bomb attacks in Hyderabad and that the safety of its players was “paramount”.
Hyderabad is due to host the second Test of the India-Australia series from March 2. The first Test begins on Friday in the southern city of Chennai.
A team statement said that the Australians had so far received “no information to suggest there is any threat to the team” in the aftermath of the bombings but talks were ongoing.
“The safety of the squad is of paramount importance,” said the statement.
“Australian team management and Cricket Australia staff are liaising with the Board of Control for Cricket in India, local authorities and the Australian High Commission to ensure we have all the appropriate information,” it added.
Australia refused to play any matches in the 1996 cricket World Cup in Sri Lanka after a series of bombings there.
All international teams have also refused to play in Pakistan since 2009 when gunmen attacked the Sri Lankan team during a Test in the city of Lahore.