LAHORE, Feb 5: Another child died of measles in the provincial capital on Tuesday. The two-year-old victim, Babar, was being treated at the Mayo Hospital after contacting measles and reportedly developed complications.
Meanwhile, chief minister’s special assistant on health Khawaja Salman Rafique has claimed the measles cases are on the decline in the province.
Talking to the media on Tuesday at director general health’s office, he said the Punjab government was fully alert and instructions had already been issued to the officials concerned to curtail the disease using all available resources.
Health Special Secretary Babar Hayat Tarar, Director General Nisar Ahmad Cheema, Unicef’s senior representative Dr Rana Mushtaq and health additional secretary (Establishment) Asfandyar Khan were also present on the occasion.
Mr Rafique said a steering committee comprising senior pediatricians was also regularly meeting to discuss the post-measles outbreak situation.
He said the health department had received reports by the provincial monitors identifying some weaknesses and loopholes in the ongoing campaign against the disease.
To a question about the hunger strike by young doctors, he said their protest was unjustified.
He said the health department had been in contact with the Young Doctors Association Punjab representatives since the occurrence of violence at Gujranwala DHQ Hospital.
He said the department had asked the YDA leaders to resolve the issue through dialogue but they refused and preferred agitation to get their demands accepted.