The head of the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations has warned players not to take part in the two-week tournament. -File Photo
The head of the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations has warned players not to take part in the two-week tournament. -File Photo

KARACHI: More than 50 foreign players have so far signed up for Pakistan's first major Twenty20 league, organisers said on Thursday, despite a warning from the international players' association not to take part.

Salman Sarwar Butt, managing director of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), gave the figure and said more overseas players were “likely to sign up shortly”, in a Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) statement.

He revealed neither any players' names nor their nationalities but said the overseas interest showed the league, due to start on March 26, was “attractive both in terms of cricket and financial gains”.

No international cricket has been played in Pakistan since militants attacked the Sri Lankan team bus during a Test match in Lahore in 2009 and the country is still rocked by almost daily bombings and shootings.

Adding to the difficulties for the PSL, the head of the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations warned players last week not to take part in the two-week tournament.

Cricket Australia and Cricket South Africa have also hinted they might not allow any players to feature in the PSL.

However, Pakistan last week confirmed South Africans Mike Proctor and Rudi Koertzen along with Zimbabwean Russell Tiffin had signed up as match officials.

PCB chairman Zaka Ashraf has offered foreign players insurance worth $2 million and up to $100,000 tax free income to play in the league, and Butt insisted in Thursday's statement top-level security would be provided.

“The safety of each and every participant including the audiences is a responsibility that the PSL is not taking lightly,” he said.

Organisers were looking at bringing in private firms with “proven credentials” to bolster the security provided by the Pakistani state, he added.

Butt said players will have to seek leave from their home boards to participate, a pre-requisite from the International Cricket Council for Twenty20 leagues around the world.

More From This Section

IOC accepts Pakistan’s proposal to continue dialogue for resolving crisis

"We hope concrete actions will be taken on the government side as per the agreed roadmap of October 2013."

It's getting increasingly tough for bowlers: Ajmal

"Times have changed and there is hardly any respect for bowlers these days."

Moores gets second stint as England coach

The 51-year-old Moores was forced out in 2009 following a rift with Pietersen that cost the batsman his captaincy.

Ajmal given clearance for Worcestershire stint

“We have given NOC to Ajmal but want him to return in mid-July so that he can be part of team's tour to Sri Lanka.”


Comments are closed.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll
From The Newspaper
Tweets