neymar, santos, South American player of the year, lionel messi
Brazilian football player Neymar speaks after receiving the best South American football player award by Uruguayan newspaper El Pais, following a survey among South American journalists. -Photo by AFP

MONTEVIDEO: Brazil star Neymar, who has been courted by some of the world's biggest clubs, says “it is not yet the time” to play in Europe as the Santos youngster won his second straight South American player of the year award.

“Everyone asks me the same question but I have a contract with Santos until 2014 and I am happy here with my family and my friends,” the striker told journalists at the glitzy ceremony on Wednesday.

The 20-year-old also played down comparisons with Argentina's Lionel Messi, who won his fourth straight Ballon d'Or earlier this week, and said he considered that club and country were his priorities.

“That is not what I'm looking for,” he explained in reference to being the best in the world. “My goal is to help Santos and the Brazilian team. To be the best player in the world is a consequence of that work.”

With the 2014 World Cup hosted in Brazil for the first time since 1950, Neymar and his father seem adamant that he is going nowhere -- at least for now.

“Neymar will stay with Santos until 2014. Afterwards, he can extend that deal if the club wish to do so,” said his father Neymar Da Silva, who was also present in the Uruguayan capital.

Santos president Paulo Schiff compared his prize asset to legend Pele, who spent almost all his career at the club before a late spell with the New York Cosmos.

“In 30 years, no other Brazilian club has been able to keep onto a great player except us with Neymar. We have refused offers from Barcelona, Chelsea and other clubs,” said Schiff.

“We want him to have a great career with Santos like the King Pele during his heyday,” he told AFP.

More From This Section

Ajmal given clearance for Worcestershire stint

“We have given NOC to Ajmal but want him to return in mid-July so that he can be part of team's tour to Sri Lanka.”

Ferrer knocks out Nadal at Monte Carlo

Nadal's 30-match winning streak ended on Friday when the world number one was upset 7-6(1) 6-4.

Trott stressed again, stepping away from cricket

''It is not fair on my teammates or myself to continue when I am unable to function at 100 percent.''

PCB advertises for coaches again

The PCB says it prefers to have a former Test or international player as the head coach.


Comments are closed.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll
From The Newspaper
Tweets