23 August, 2014 / Shawwal 26, 1435

290-silhouetted-old-man
Last time I interviewed a political figure, who also happens to be a religious leader, about why many Pakistanis are seeking asylum in foreign countries and what prompts them to resort to such desperate measures, I was told that most of them instigate violence themselves and ignite the fury of others so that they can seek political asylum in foreign countries. I was so intrigued by this statement that I decided to look for asylum seekers and delve into their lives. I wanted to meet the people who could either refute or second the aforementioned claim; however, the facts were quite contrary to what many Pakistanis think.

The first set of people I met was from a Shia family who migrated from Pakistan four years ago under dire circumstances.

“We started receiving threats at the end of 2007. First they were just random letters thrown inside the compound of our house. Most of them were abusive, some were derogatory towards our faith but all of them had the same message which stated that we leave this country or else be responsible for the consequences,” said she on condition of anonymity.

“In the beginning we all thought it was some sort of juvenile prank. Then we started receiving phone calls from unidentified numbers and that is when we realised that the threats were real,” she added.

The other part of her narrative was tragic and beyond anyone’s worst fear.

“I still remember that day with clarity. It was a Sunday and my brother had gone out to run some important errands. He always rode a motorbike but that day he decided to go walking. He was shot dead outside a shop not that far from where we lived. He was the youngest and most pampered child of the family and his untimely demise changed our lives forever. You always think that such misfortune always falls on other people and somehow you always stay away from such things until the violence strikes your home. None of us knew how to cope with the loss. We all kept wondering why they chose him and not us. He had his whole life in front of him because he was so young,” she added.

“When the shock abated, we realised that if we had to survive, we would have to leave this country as soon as possible otherwise we would all meet the same fate as him,” she added with tears glistening in her eyes.

Her narrative made me wonder, was Pakistan only made for a singular Muslim school of thought and more importantly, who has the right to ask Shias or Pakistanis of other faiths to leave their own country. Pakistan is just as much a home to Ahmadis, Shias and Christians as it is to Sunni Muslims and nobody has the right to expel anyone from their homeland. However, expulsion continues to take place on gun point and many a time over the lifeless bodies of loved ones.

Quite evidently, religious persecution is not the only reason which compels Pakistanis to seek asylum elsewhere. Many a time, Pakistanis are forced to flee from their homeland because of their political affiliations or lack of the same.

The second family I met had migrated to Canada several years ago for the same reason.

“I was an active member of a leading political student organisation in Karachi when I was studying at Ayesha Bawany Government College located at main Shahrah-e-Faisal. I was a young boy full of ambition and ideals. We would hear speeches from our seniors or political leaders that we followed and would get exceedingly roused. They showed us dreams of a better future and somehow every word that they said sounded close to the truth at the time. However, as I grew older I realised that this was not what I wanted for my life,” said Ghyas* who now owns a small convenience store in Ontario, Canada.

“I grew up without a father and was the only male child in a family of three sisters. One fine day I just decided to leave the organisation but my decision didn’t sit too well with my seniors. First they tried to coax me into reversing my decision and then they blatantly threatened me. I was attacked and almost beaten to death and that is when I knew that I had to leave Pakistan. I came to Canada as a refugee with my family and got the permanent resident status after struggling to prove that my life was in danger back home for almost 10 months,” he added.

Most of the asylum seekers who leave Pakistan in hopes of a better and safer future reach there destitute or have meager funds which only last for a very small period of time. Regardless of their qualifications, most of them have to accept odd jobs and work at less than minimum wage until their resident status is approved by the immigration authorities.

“We had the most prestigious degrees from the top notch educational institutes in Pakistan but when we landed in Canada we had to work at a greenhouse on cash because we did not have a Social Insurance Number. We were six people altogether which included my 16-year-old baby sister as well. We worked from 8 am until 5 pm at a greenhouse in Leamington where many more like us were also employed for the same jobs. Those were the most arduous years,” said another asylum seeker from Pakistan.

“Do not mistake my intentions. I am not trying to say that working at a greenhouse is wrong or demeaning. We all worked hard and anyone who works hard should be proud of it. I just call the early years hard and trying because we came to Canada without a dime and had to start from scratch. It took a lot of time for us to grasp the gravity of the situation. It was like being stuck in limbo. I had never felt so helpless before in life. Seeking asylum is not easy and people who say that people do it deliberately should go to the greenhouses where many asylum seekers from different countries work day in and day out to feed their families. Seeing their faces will make you understand that what they have chosen has been the lesser of two evils as a last resort,” said he with sadness gripping his eyes and voice.

I asked each one of them if they missed Pakistan or would ever like to return. Two said ‘maybe’ and one said ‘for what? To be squashed out like a bug again. No, never in this lifetime. We were never considered a part of Pakistan. We were always the pariahs’.

Their tragic past and overwhelming emotions made me want to console them for their loss but for the first time in my life I was left speechless as words are too dead to placate them. I wanted to tell them that the majority of Pakistanis are tolerant people but I had no evidence to substantiate my claim. I wanted to hold their hands and tell them that the situation will change but I had no incident to quote which could prove that the tides are changing. I wanted to apologise but no amount of apologies would ever bring back the brother of the woman I spoke to or the childhood of a 16-year-old girl who was exposed to such harsh realities of life at such a tender age.

I left their shops and homes with a very heavy heart, fervently praying that Pakistan would once again become a tolerant and progressive society where people can enjoy equal rights regardless of what paths they choose in life.

*Identity concealed due to security reasons

Faiza Mirza
The writer is a Reporter at Dawn.com

More From This Author

“She asked for it”

Women do not find street harassment flattering, we must start treating it as grave ordeal with devastating repercussions.

Dev
Jan 08, 2013 02:23am
Agree with your sentiment Faiza. But you have not disputed the substance of what George has said., Which is a fact. Muslims should ask themselves, why ?
Siyalkotia
Jan 07, 2013 11:58pm
Islamic republic Of Pakistan ... Zindabad.
ProudKafir
Jan 07, 2013 07:10pm
You are absolutley correct!
rich
Jan 07, 2013 01:41pm
grt article, and yet again it points out the obvious that only christian and to some extent non muslim give refuge to everyone including muslim the muslim umma is huge and some states are very wealthy, but muslim still prefer non muslim countries it is a lesson for all muslim, religion is as good or as bad as u make it out to be humanity is the greatist religion muslim from burma were not allowed in bangladesh but they took refuge in india, the only problem in india is they have to fend for themself like everybody else, as india is a poor country the irony of pakistn is during the creation of pakistn the christin supported pakistn, and voted for pakistn, and now they maybe regreting the day their forefathers put their lot in with jinnah and not nehru Richie Rodrigues
jen
Jan 07, 2013 01:37pm
Hail the Maker!!!! As long as someone is fearing for the non-existent almighty, wild animals will make use of that fear. What a pity!!!!
Kaafir
Jan 07, 2013 01:31pm
First they make a country - chase out Hindus to occupy their properties - then fight amongst themselves and seek asylum abroad. Gr8
george
Jan 07, 2013 11:16pm
When you understand why you don't believe in other people's Gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours" - Albert Einstein
Bilal qureshi
Jan 07, 2013 01:54pm
I hope our country will be change soon!!!!
Gilzai
Jan 08, 2013 01:35pm
Faiza: writers like you are beacon of hope for future Pakistan, please continue to raise awareness by your writings.
george
Jan 08, 2013 09:51am
In UK, four percent muslim population has fourteen percent prisoners in UK jails. Google it and you will believe it. In France, the percentage is even higher.Muslims wear their religion on their sleeves, and still when it comes to crime, they are the front runners.
Aamir
Jan 07, 2013 02:02pm
Unless our Army stops pampering the militants, inside and outside the country, such cases will keep emerging. Pak Army for God sake stop using secterian hatred as a tool to control politics.
Aamir
Jan 07, 2013 09:33pm
How do I write to this writer Faiza Mirza? I have an interesting story to add with this article.
Faiza Mirza
Jan 07, 2013 09:34pm
send me an email at faiza.mirza@dawn.com
Shubs
Jan 08, 2013 10:10am
Yes, keep singing that tune and watch your country turn into a graveyard. For once, just for once, can one of you respond, yes, this is the sad reality of our country?
Zeeshan Kazmi
Jan 07, 2013 09:07pm
mr akhter hussain i dont know which world you are living in but the way you think is unjust...i feel sorry for you, may you not face what those people have faced, God bless you.
Imran
Jan 08, 2013 11:44am
Deep are you
akki
Jan 07, 2013 09:26pm
its not going to change its going to spread to other countries by the brave pak army... and spread misery and sadness everywhere ... because i mind what u r doing not what i am
Sandip
Jan 07, 2013 01:53pm
Just wondering for the people who do not have means to migrate, what happens to those poor folks, like those christian families who could barely get water to drink.
TFT
Jan 07, 2013 09:42pm
yeh and in 'Mahan Bharat' you burn them to make you land more 'Mahan': Gujrat and Punjab where muslims and sikhs were masacarred.
hamid Shafiq
Jan 08, 2013 10:39am
i am not agree with this article becuase every pakistani not intrested to leave pakistan. if some trouble come then no problem try to face it rather to leave country and apply asylum status. i lived two years in UK and i know many people apply asylum on false basis many of them even change religion and sect. but if you construct a building on false foundation once time come it collapse.
akhter husain
Jan 07, 2013 07:40pm
They do not stand up because they are busy in politics,an easy pass time.
george
Jan 08, 2013 09:55am
And still muslim population in India always go up, year after year.
pathanoo
Jan 07, 2013 05:31pm
Dear Faiza, You are to be praised as a human being, an angel with a mercy filled heart. You are the flickering light of sanity in an insane, mad with hatred, self-loathing Pakistan which seems to have lost it's soul.
Sagar
Jan 08, 2013 05:38am
No one from India migrate to western country because of the fear of being minority. Yes I would admit that for the better future they migrate. But nothing in India exists like one mention about pakistan in the article. Leave Hindus or Christains or Sikhs , even majority Muslims are doing all wrong things to Sunni's and Ahmadis. God save Pakistan.
Another Human Being
Jan 07, 2013 10:06pm
You do need to understand the basic difference between immigration(its still not migration) and asylum.
Shahid Masud 12
Jan 08, 2013 11:05am
The so called silent tolerant majority don't stand up because they are selfish and coward.
Waqas
Jan 07, 2013 09:13pm
Very simple: those engineers and doctors eventually take their respective exams and find gainful employment, not to mention ensuring great future for their next generations, it takes time, but they are willing to work hard and start from scratch. Much better than living under constant fear of a sword hanging over you, you go out of your house in the morning and there is no guarantee that you will be back safely in the evening in Pakistan. Not to mention the subhuman lives of non Muslims.
James
Jan 08, 2013 10:40am
Gujrat is not the only place where India's 22 crore Muslims live....brother you are judging the whole India on the basis of Gujrat,...There are more muslims living in Kerala, UP, Hyderabad (deccan) than Gujrat, but you people still only have one incident to point towards to put your argument that India is not a secular country......We never had any incident in our so-called "Pseudo-secular INTOLERANT INDIA" where people have applied asylum in other countries, especially Muslims from India seeking asylum in Pakistan.",,,,do you have any records of indians applying for asylum in Pak. if yes, then please specifiy
rabbi
Jan 07, 2013 12:20pm
All their stories are fabricated, no one expelled them, they chose to leave pakistan to take benefit of welfare system of western states.
citizen
Jan 07, 2013 04:05pm
It is absolutely true that people from the minority groups in Pakistan face discrimination and hardships, which must stop and I in no way dispute the stories narrated here.... But I know for a fact that many Pakistanis make up concocted stories to take up asylum in western countries, which is also very unfortunate since they malign Pakistan for no reason except their own benefit.
akhter husain
Jan 07, 2013 07:47pm
Agreed
akhter husain
Jan 07, 2013 07:42pm
You need ten times longer age to see it.
asim
Jan 08, 2013 05:06am
@Deep. Your comments are true reflection of fundamentalist mentality across the globe. Hatred and and narrow minded has no boundaries I am sure you will blame muslim for every rape done every twenty minutes in rape capital of world "Delhi"..
ProudKafir
Jan 07, 2013 06:54pm
Have you nnot read history? It was the Arab invaders who came as economic migrants, killed and forcibly converted the local people. Their descendants should finally realize what was done!
karim
Jan 08, 2013 05:11am
how is the second largest religion in the world a failure ? What your comments denote as that you are a bigot and part of the problem.
akhter husain
Jan 07, 2013 07:37pm
Human beings have been migrating to other places in search of food,One can find many well placed person shave migrated to US or Canada,not because of fear but because they wanted western style to live in.The question of majority/minority is generally raised because we have not become Pakistanis as yet. People from India, china,and so many other countries are also migrating to prosperous countries for food and not for fear of being minority. We must throw this idea out of our minds for ever and find out better reason of migration....
Anony
Jan 07, 2013 07:14pm
I'm a professional working in the US currently. I came to this country on a student visa, and worked hard to graduate and find a nice job. As much as I love my dear country Pakistan, I am very GRATEFUL to my adopted homeland USA for giving me the opportunity to excel in life and earn a decent living, while proving me security and freedom of following my religion. As immigrants, we ALL should be thankful to our adopted country and never forget what all she has offered us. Long live Pakistan. Long live USA.
Shahid Masud 12
Jan 08, 2013 10:57am
Blessed to ba a Muslim and proud to be a US citizen. I agree with rest of the comment
dr makraja
Jan 08, 2013 05:06am
Well written I guess nobody wants to uproot until and unless circumstances are way beyond their control In case of mulk e khudadad pakistan the very painful birth has caused all the problems when our hindu/sikh neighbours were forced away i mean the lucky ones the unlucky we all well know what happened to them People were garlanded and deemed heroes who were a part of this gory game Its just that now they have been replaced by ahmadis shias minorities then well when the sunnis will be left behind who knows which ones will be the first pesrecuted As long as we dont revisit the holocaust of partition seek a heartfelt apology from the uprooted and do the same for the minorities there will be no future but what we see The land belongs to all of us who have lived here Lets not confuse that issue
Kausik
Jan 07, 2013 07:25pm
This is a bold article and I congratulate author and dawn publishing.i am shocked the type of cast ism exists in islamic culture .
Liaqat
Jan 07, 2013 07:28pm
For a long time I thought of such acts as aberrations but with a state that fails to protect its weak and minorities it breaks my heart that my Pakistan has clearly lost its way. Interestingly the only person with whom I can share Pakistani cricket triumphs and hockey defeats is an old school mate who just happens to be a Pakistani Christian. A pity that in his own country he would be treated as a second class citizen. My fellow Pakistani Muslims have long since turned their back on Pakistan and for the most part have no intentions of returning dead or alive to the country of their birth. Until the government of Pakistan takes the blasphemy law as it currently stands off the books and the security agencies (police, army or otherwise) to earn their salt by protecting the weak and minorities there seems to be no hope for a return to a more tolerant and dare I say a better Pakistan. We have become the pariahs of the world instead of becoming the beacon of light we had hoped to become a half century or so ago and more is the pity. FYI: I am part of the spineless 'silent' majority a Sunni Muslim.
Pramod
Jan 08, 2013 09:01am
You are correct about the religious fundamentalists but I think convincing a common muslim by muslim fundamentalist for thier ideoligy is much more easier than convincing a common non muslim by fundamentalists of that religion.
Md Imran
Jan 07, 2013 06:51pm
Its a tragedy that pakistanis are leaving Pakistan, but yet one has to wonder how lucky rest of the world is that has had the good fortune of hosting Pakistanis who are among the most innovative,sincere and hardworking people in the world. Dr Abdus Salam and Dr AQ Khan are considered as 2 of the greatest scientists since Albert Einstein .
ex-muslim zaheer
Jan 08, 2013 06:40pm
you have summed up the entire problem in one line .... bravo
Mushtaq Ahmed
Jan 07, 2013 06:50pm
Accurate article. My home was attacked in the middle of the night not for our faith (we are Sunni Muslims) but because we spoke Sindhi and lived in an Urdu-speaking area of Pakistan.. Latifabad, Hyderabad. My elderly father was beaten with an iron till blood flowed out of his head and stained his white hair red.
ProudKafir
Jan 07, 2013 07:18pm
WHICH DENOTES WHAT A GREAT FAILURE THEY AND THEIR IDEOLOGY/RELIGION ARE!
ProudKafir
Jan 07, 2013 07:16pm
"Dr Abdus Salam and Dr AQ Khan are considered as 2 of the greatest scientists since Albert Einstein ." Dr Salam is; but that Dr AQ Khan is considered as one of the greatest CRIMINALS on earth alive today. Or have you been sleeping for the last 10 years. And Pakistan "rewarded" Dr Salam by DESECRATING HIS GRAVE!!!
akhter husain
Jan 07, 2013 07:12pm
Process of purification never ends.
ProudKafir
Jan 07, 2013 07:08pm
Disband the army. They serve no purpose. They lost half the country 40 years ago. Since then, they have been poisoning the remainder.
raika45
Jan 07, 2013 01:46pm
Forget the problems of such people lady.Their's is a genuine case. Why don't you go after those with political and government positions that hold a dual nationality?Ask them why they are doing so.As far as I know, they need a ton of money to get such citizenship, they not being subject to intimidation or threat of life in their country.This will be called true investigative journalism.
ProudKafir
Jan 07, 2013 07:03pm
Peace will come to Pakistan ONLY when all the mullas are silenced or killed, and the self-serving Army is disbanded.
japon
Jan 08, 2013 02:26pm
absolutely right . For Instance , take example of UK. Many radical leaders of Asian origin(pakistani, Indian, some arabian) are there taking advantage of free society.
Does it Matter
Jan 07, 2013 01:03pm
Faiza, Aren't there still Hindus and Sikhs in Pakistan? Or are we living in a foreign land? Apathy from the fellow citizens is equally bad as the atrocities committed. "Pakistan is just as much a home to Ahmadis, Shias and Christians as it is to Sunni Muslims and nobody has the right to expel anyone from their homeland." I am sure you did not mean it but there is lies the problem. Think about it. Time for Hindus and Sikhs to get out of here. This is no country for others.
Aimen
Jan 07, 2013 02:43pm
because almost every part of the country is in the same state. Why live in fear constantly when you have other opportunities available elsewhere.
Md Imran
Jan 07, 2013 02:44pm
You'll notice in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands..their economies have improved tremendously ever since Pakistanis started migrating there from the 80s and 90s. Before that, most of the scandinavial economies were lagging at 3% in GDP. It is simple logic : Pakistanis are the most talented and innovative people in the world,and our strong belief in Islam ensures hardwork and sincerity that was missing in those countries. People talking about welfare tends to forget that it is probably 0.00001% of Pakistanis who probably take welfare, the rest are net contributors to the host nations by a long margin.
Laeeq,NY
Jan 07, 2013 01:10pm
Your articles always deal with the minorities issues in Pakistan. You said most of Pakistanis are tolerant but they are the silent majority and their tolerance in these matters make hem equally responsible for all the hate crimes we see in Pakistan. I still appreciate and admire you for writing this sensitive issue of our society. Keep it up.
ProudKafir
Jan 07, 2013 07:06pm
In case you have not been following the news, these poor people are killed or driven into the forests (where they die by stravation).
karim
Jan 07, 2013 02:27pm
Pakistanis have utterly failed the dream of the country's founder, Mohammad Ali Jinnah. Army and mullah is most guilty of this.
Tahira, USA
Jan 08, 2013 05:17pm
Your wishes are hidden in your comments. Please apply for an asylum for yourself by inflicting some wounds on your body. See how easy it is to impress the kind staff of western embassies. Do report on your efforts if and when you get lucky in a blog for others to benefit from. OR establish welfare system in Pakistan. Unless you can show that asylum is so easily granted from your personal experience, please keep your eyes open and respect those who had to leave due to persecution. Thank you.
Tahira, USA
Jan 07, 2013 02:30pm
Thank you Faiza. As always, you focus on the people who are marginalized and suffering in their beautiful homeland. Recently, I heard the same from Pakistan about asylum seekers and was shocked. No one wants to leave Pakistan if left alone peacefully. I personally know families with 4-5 small children whose sole bread winner was shot dead in broad daylight. There are good Pakistanis who help such families to seek asylum, pay their fares and there are good countries who accept them. May the Almighty reward such good people and such countries and guide Pakistan and those murderers who harass people to snatch their 3 marla homes. In the end, we all need only 2yards of land for permanent sleep.
zulfiqar al
Jan 07, 2013 10:25pm
It is our collective failure, it is not the responsibility of one class in Pakistan. And we have been exploited by western counterparts as well.
omar
Jan 07, 2013 10:31pm
For Food???? I guess people in India who dont have food can never dream of setting foot on these countries mentioned. My be you can say most of the Indians left for better life and opportunities.
Faiza Mirza
Jan 07, 2013 11:16pm
I would say that religious fundamentalists everywhere regardless of what faith they profess are intolerant. We need to get rid of extremism and all its by-products.
Pashtun voice
Jan 07, 2013 11:19pm
I guess we always have the West to blame.....
stuti
Jan 08, 2013 12:25am
Faiza, an excellent piece. Muslims indeed are a problem in non-muslim countries. Why is it that in India all non-muslim communities co-exist in harmony but not muslims. The problem with muslims is that they are extremely intolerant and have a propensity for violence of extreme kind. My way and no other way.
Nasah (USA)
Jan 08, 2013 01:46am
But Ms Faiza you will have to admit that among us Muslims -- conquest and domination of other countries communities has always been something to be proud of -- hence the abject disgraceful treatment of minorities in our majority countries. A vein of fascism does run in our Muslim psyche.
Vik
Jan 08, 2013 01:09am
Majority in India do not approve of that. We’ve sent the guilty to prison. We don’t ethnically cleanse a part of our society because their belief system is diff from ours. Conflicts happen,it’s not great but we the majority does not go around killing people of other faith. An MLA akbaruddin owaisi has the balls to say that he will wipe of hindus from India. I cannot imagine any hindu leader, if any, doing that in Pakistan and still be alive. That, my friend, is the difference between the two countries. Blessed to be a non-muslim and a non-Pakistani.
Vik
Jan 08, 2013 01:08am
Majority in India do not approve of that. We've sent the guilty to prison. We don't ethnically cleanse a part of our society because their belief system is diff from ours. Conflicts happen,it's not great but we the majority does not go around killing people of other faith. An MLA akbaruddin owaisi has the balls to say that he will wipe of hindus from India. I cannot imagine any hindu leader, if any, doing that in Pakistan and still be alive. That, my friend, is the difference between the two countries. Blessed to be a non-muslim and a non-Pakistani.
Prouder
Jan 08, 2013 02:15am
As long as there is God, miracles will happen!
Samar Mirza
Jan 08, 2013 10:16am
hello faiza mirza.... my father was shot dead on Nov 6th 2012 in khi...and i feel like im reading MY story here....if and whenever ur doing another writeup or need support material (which im sure u wont have diffculty in even without me :), u can contact me...
BRR
Jan 07, 2013 11:02pm
A very sad delusional opinion, with little reflection and lot of bombast due to an inflated ego. And no sense of appreciation for the cultures in those Scandinavian societies where diversity is tolerated.
george
Jan 07, 2013 11:05pm
Most of the readers here would not like me to say,but the truth is in general muslims are far less tolerant than non-muslims. In every non-muslimcountry on the planet,muslim population is growing,and in every muslimcountry,non-muslimpopulation is decreasing. Muslim children are never taught to respect the feeling of others,as a result non-muslims tolerate muslims,they never like muslims.
Ammar
Jan 08, 2013 03:27pm
Pakistan is cursed with dark and evil clouds. We will not see the sun light until we get rid of the Mullahs. These evil creatures are destroying humanity in the name of religion
Ali
Jan 08, 2013 06:37am
Well said. Nice and correct response.
Deep
Jan 07, 2013 11:50pm
Faiza "religious fundamentalists everywhere regardless of what faith they profess" but not like muslims. Go anywhere in the world where ever there are muslims there are problems.
Deep
Jan 07, 2013 11:46pm
And down the line same people will start rioting in Canada for some religious reason.
Khalid
Jan 08, 2013 01:25am
I am a Pakistani , Australian citizen and working as a professional in the US.I am extremely thankful to USA to offer me professional career and a decent job.I am thankful to Pakistan, as I was on a professional job in Pakistan but the work culture in Pakistan was bad,no savings and it was not safe.I had worst time of my life when I went to Australia from Pakistan.I did plenty of odd jobs but finally had to move on to US as it was not working.
Sania
Jan 07, 2013 12:36pm
Why they dont move to any other part of the country? Why such kind of people always apply for asylum in Canada, UK, USA etc.
s.p.bansal
Jan 07, 2013 12:37pm
And this is SaLAMATI defined. But this is generally speaking attitude/mind set of all Pakistanis unfortunately
Faiza Mirza
Jan 08, 2013 04:43pm
I will keep that in mind. Thank you.
akki
Jan 07, 2013 05:57pm
Andhera kayam rahe
Tahir Chaudhry
Jan 07, 2013 05:54pm
MR. Rabbi, In which make believe world, you are living my friend?. Grow up and try to understand what is going on with all the minorities in Pakistan and if possible dear, try to make a change.
akki
Jan 07, 2013 05:53pm
"It is simple logic : Pakistanis are the most talented and innovative people" -- then why pakistan is only growing in bad things ... where ever they will go riots, sadness and destruction follows
Faiza Mirza
Jan 08, 2013 04:49pm
Japon hope that you are keeping well. I am not contradicting anyone’s statement here all I am saying is that fanaticism is the root cause of intolerance. Radical elements exist everywhere in the society and most of the people who propagate such thoughts have vested interests. If I have to make a choice between country and religion I am going to pick humanity which is an option many people don’t think about these days. I hope that I have answered your question.
Sami Ahmed
Jan 07, 2013 05:38pm
I am Ahmedi and for your information no one is expelling Pushtuns from Pakistan but all i know that they expelled me along with my family from Charsadda along with 20 other families only because we were Ahmedis. So dont play the Victim card of Pushtoons who made our life miserable and they are responsible for as much extremism as anyone else. My relative in Swabi have been given warning that in coming months they should leave Pushtoon regions as they are Ahmedis otherwise they will be killed. So kindly stop this Misinformation for good if you dont know the ground realities.
Aimen
Jan 07, 2013 02:46pm
so you think incidents like this don't happen all the time in Pakistan?
ali
Jan 08, 2013 08:41am
Excellent said. Painful but very true.
Tahira, USA
Jan 08, 2013 05:10pm
Raising your voice about any case of minority people is inviting death in Pakistan as is clear from the case of Salaman Taseer. It is easier to complain in writing like you and me but to come out on the street and support minority rights, I doubt if you will do that. Thankfully, I am outside current Pakistan but have seen better times there in the sixtees.
Pramod
Jan 08, 2013 09:22am
TFT there is a difference between communal riots and planned strategy to throw a community out, When Gujrat riots took place so did Godhra train incident. it was that moment which led people to do that and it has happened in all countries.There has not been a single case of violence on same Gujrat after that. No one has been stopped to follow their religion. We do not tell people that you are a less religion or sect or you are not at all the follower of a religion which you and forefathers has followed till date.
Tamilselven
Jan 07, 2013 04:58pm
In the land of the pure, 60 years back they expelled Hindus and Sikhs and then they followed it up by expelling Christians and next came Ahmadias, Shias and Pusthuns so the country can remain land of the pure. Former rulers like Kaki clad General Musharaf, Bhutto family are staying out but they can afford but it's sad to read the plight of minorities in Pakistan. Hope this article opens the eyes of the general population. We cannot let this happen in Kashmir where pundits were driven out. Hope saner sense prevails among the general population of Pakistan and they see what's right for thier country and stand up for it
dhk
Jan 07, 2013 04:55pm
so why don't you try it too.
G.A.
Jan 07, 2013 04:23pm
@Does it matter - It does matter. Why should Hindus, Sikhs or anyone else leave their own country? Everyone is struggling there. Shahzeb Khan, Malal Yusuzfzai and Salman Taseer were all attacked by fellow Muslims.
Soliman
Jan 08, 2013 04:36am
Billal, We all hope your country will change soon and wish them the best. Start as an individual and show some empathy to a minority neighbor in Pakistan as a first step. Good luck
Rashid Sultan
Jan 07, 2013 04:20pm
Because they are largely economic migrants and use faith and political persecution as a reason to enable asylum status. Economic reasons are not acceptable for asylum seekers. A bit daft if you ask me.
Soliman
Jan 08, 2013 04:22am
How many fundamentalists kill others in the name of religion compared to Muslim fundamentalists. Sorry, we don't buy that argument.
saquib
Jan 08, 2013 04:14am
Dear Faiza, your article left even my heart heavy. You said below that religious fundamentalists are there in every faith..You are right to some extent, now the question is who are these fundamentalists? These are people who read the holy book, think that to be the word of God and follow it to the tooth. There is so much violence prescribed in the holy book against non-believers that it will leave you shocked..I read it myself and was shocked to see that a 'God' could prescribe so much violence...Those who dont read it remains good because basically human beings are born as good people whether muslims or otherwise...The moment they read the book and act on it, you get what you called fundamentalists...
Hashem
Jan 07, 2013 04:01pm
" I wanted to tell them that the majority of Pakistanis are tolerant people.".......Then, why the hell these majority of "tolerant Pakistanis" do not stand up when there are any threats or any violence carried out to the fellow citizens. Because of such a deafening pathetic silent response from the majority of the "so called tolerant Pakistanis," the situation is such a grim in Pakistan....Dear author, you are absolutely wrong, the majority of the Pakistanis are intolerant. If they had been tolerant, the situation had been much different.....Mr. Jinnah would have made clear at the time of partition for which sect of Islam the Pakistan has been created, so that most of us would have said our decisions right there itself.....You are also partly responsible for our situation, Mr. Jinnah......
Nauman
Jan 07, 2013 03:49pm
time for HINDUS and SIKHS to get out of here !!!!! .... did i hear you correctly ... is that ur opinion?? if yea than dude i seriously dont agree with your point of views ... who says than you have the right to be there in county???? All the reasons you have to be there is the same for all others ... keep in mind please.
Nauman
Jan 07, 2013 03:40pm
because asylum means to leave a place where you are not comfortable security wise, life risk wise, basic rights wise and move to place where social infrastructure and law can protect you and your rights ... thats why they choose these places plus they offer it for Human based rights ... Think about the reason in the country and us so called nation making choices to have the situation across ;) ... Lets not be critic about this but try to understand the issue and solve it .. and not ALWAYSS judge people on our individual measuring principal metres (sorry to say which actually does not stand true in life) but trust them that they had issue in life and we need to take it away .... getting harsh and pointing is a baseless act of us as nation ..
Guru
Jan 07, 2013 03:41pm
I hope you were being sarcastic. If not, pls explain why a an engineer or a doctor would prefer to drive taxis in the cities of North America, than make a decent living back home. Burying head in the sand does not make the reality go away. It waits for you to lift your head and recognise it..
Erfan
Jan 07, 2013 04:04pm
You depict the problem mindset by that comment and you are possibly the "majority of Pakistanis" who are tolerant...!!?? This is exactly what our administration is doing; they side with the mob, rather than the right and that is what you are saying also. Why should a Pakistani have to move from one part of the country to another? And, if it really comes to that, what part of the country would you suggest? In fact, that is what most people did until there was no safe place to move to.
shahidmasud12
Jan 08, 2013 08:33am
Well said.
japon
Jan 08, 2013 02:44pm
@Faiza ...You are right . Religious fundamentalists are everywhere , but a particular community is too violent and unbearable . They stay in UK and other western countries and start a campaigns like "Sharia for UK" . I respect what you said and you are right upto some extent only . Few months ago , a religious leader in Delhi was asked "who comes first, religion or country?" . That leader said in front of camera "How can I choose between my 2 eyes ?" . But other community unitedly say "country comes first" . Again that leader is most respected by other communities also . Any time they can fight with other communities on this issue also . Fazia , I need your response on this .I think u will get same answer in ur country also.
Rao
Jan 07, 2013 03:30pm
Isn't it true that terrorists stop buses on road to Gilgit Baltistan, ask the passengers to line up, identify shias and shoot them at point blank....We saw these stories reported so many time in Dawn.
Khan
Jan 07, 2013 03:11pm
Faiza I am not sure if are talking about Pakistan or some non Muslim country. Your views are very nice and patriotic but the ground conditions are contrary to your views. Our blasphemy laws, lawlessness, religious intolerance, sectarianism and illiteracy have taken a toll on our country already. Non Muslims living in our country are not protected. They want to get out of there if given opportunity. I happened to meet a few non Muslims migrated from Pakistan hate Pakistan openly they don't even want to be associated with Pakistan I was not shocked to know this since our country's security condition is very bad let alone non Muslim we have never protected Ahmadi Muslims laws are there force them not to call themselves Muslims. No wonder no foreigners want to visit there any more. We need to change our behaviour as nation. Pakistan was founded to be as secular by Jinnah sahab but over the year with the help of dictators like Zia ul Haq, his crony Mullas, like minded journalists and historians created this confusion that Pakistan was not supposed to be secular. There is nothing wrong being secular and have all kinds of religious freedoms with the protection of the law of the land.
Abuzar
Jan 07, 2013 12:47pm
It's tragic, we should keep our frinds together and help in them in such miserable times. Pakistan is in the transition state. hopefully things will get better.
Abdus Salam Khan
Jan 08, 2013 07:26am
Going back in to history one of the first cliffs that the Muslims went over was caused by the assasins of Hadrat Usman (RA) being allowed to go free under political expediancy. The same type of cliff Pakistan has fallen over ever since it failed to enforce the law against religious fanatics and assassins. Who would like to live iin constant fear of death when he has the choice to seek asylum abroad.? Nay, the holy Quran commands its followers to emigrate in such situations.
USMAN786
Jan 08, 2013 07:01am
atleast now you can have red passport
Asim
Jan 08, 2013 07:36am
Faiza is true about people experiences and asylum struggle. I would like to add few facts as well which I have noticed while living outside Pakistan: 1- People who are applying in foreign countries for asylum are making up stories and some evidence is created or bought by themselves as well. And I found out about a rich family applied for asylum just because of craze of having second nationality and some money from new country. 2- People who living outside Pakistan including agents for immigration hide the truth. 3- Racism is every where which is visible in some countries and in some countries is hidden and you find out with experience with something like back stabbing(like two face people). 4- Foreign Pakistani and Indian business men take advantage of people who have claimed asylum by giving jobs and pay less than legal minimum wage limit(which is breaking law practice). Students in foreign countries are paid e.g £20 a day for working 7AM till 9PM. But I have seen Sirilankan nationals in foreign countries who always support their people to settle in foreign countries. Pakistani foreign nationals even dont bother to guide someone who is new and they know as well. 5.Only minority of Pakistan national in foreign country helps you if you change you religion by helping you start your business and also if you are single you will get a bride from them. Most of the greedy people are taking advantage of it. What I am saying is that we dont have to forget that we have to remember every true religion says help you need help and all human beings are equal and you are suppose to be example for others not problem.
Abuzar
Jan 08, 2013 11:54am
i agree, general muslims have almost zero tolerance, ask general public you have to eat, drink, like this, you have to wear like this, you have to look like this, you have to only believe what is told, you cant do this you cant do that, you do all that this you are comitting a sin, you are out, bye, ask them how. no answer you are just out of islam. for most muslims islam can only be seen, in women's parda, men's beard and appearence, rigidity, otherwise you are out.
Rakesh
Jan 08, 2013 07:28pm
“Ours is the only right way” they convinced us, The brutal path threw us off the cliff, All our prayers seem in vain, Then they sing eulogies, but transient we know. The youth are seduced by the bullets, While war mongers count their money, And our Mothers, Fathers, Brothers, Sisters, Friends… How we wish you could stay, Did you have to return to the firmament, leaving us mere memories? These emotions, we won’t let them jade away, Until they rise in a crescendo, Transcending politics and nationalities, The world owes that to you. We know you are now domiciled in a world sans war and violence, Brick by brick, we’ll build that world here too, So that some day we can implore your return, And we hope then, the beautiful days will stay! Rakesh Kotti
ProudKafir
Jan 08, 2013 07:34pm
And most of those false asylum seekers are actually Muslims!! What does that tell you? The focus of this article was legitimate asylum seekers from the minority and other persecuted communities.
ProudKafir
Jan 08, 2013 07:36pm
Yes, all the mullahs need to be eliminated.
ProudNotToBeMuslim
Jan 08, 2013 07:52pm
But Muslims take the Grand Prize in this matter, as such behaviour seems to be allowed by their religion. How else could the teachings of the Quran be used by terrorists do often today to justify their acts?
MOMO
Jan 09, 2013 02:09am
Although this articles has done a wonderful job of highlighting the shattered lives and human-flotsam that Muslim intolerance in Pakistan has left in its wake, it has still failed to addressing head-on the cause of said intolerance, which, simply put, is Islam. Pakistan needs is a broad, serious and intellectually honest conversation about Islam - a conversation devoid of the usual hysterics and irrational-paranoid emotions. If this is done, it would naturally lead to the reformation of Islam (a process the Christians started with their own religion over 100 years ago). What frustrates me most about Pakistan, and for that matter, most of the Islamic world, is that we all know what needs to be done to change things; yet we continue to play the 'I-Know-And-You-Know-But-Let's-Pretend-We-Don't-Know' game.
Murdabad
Jan 09, 2013 03:50am
Then go live in Pakistan if so blessed! Why did u go to the USA?
george
Jan 09, 2013 12:13pm
I would like to know the crime rate of Pakistanis in those countries.
Murdabad
Jan 09, 2013 04:02am
Have you not read the article and the comments? And it is the second largest religion because it was forced upon the conquered ppl. People have been FORCIBLY CONVERTED to Islam at the point of the sword and the gun.
Murdabad
Jan 09, 2013 04:12am
"Much better than living under constant fear of a sword hanging over you." Yes the sword of Islam, by which it has been forcibly spread the last 1400 years.
asim
Jan 09, 2013 04:16am
@ ProudKafir What is the source of your information, so that your claim can be substantiated because I have seen otherwise. People of all faith, race and background adopt all type of malpractice to gain residency (or asylum) in western countries. OR I will believe you are one of those ignorant trolls who comment out of hatred and bigotry.
Behlool
Jan 09, 2013 04:22am
Shaheed Agha SAM Bhai, I am planning a long march to Bilawal House very soon, we have all the blessings from Allama Joji and Inshallah I will invite the family of all our Shaheeds to us in this cause ! Labbaik YA HUSSAIN AS
Bobs
Jan 09, 2013 04:53am
"Pakistan is just as much a home to Ahmadis, Shias and Christians as it is to Sunni Muslims and nobody has the right to expel anyone from their homeland." why you left out hindus.? reason would be?
babu
Jan 09, 2013 03:35pm
Md Imran, can you send some of the migrant Pakistanis to come back to Pakistan from Norway ,Sweden,Netherlands to increase the GDP of Pakistan
babu
Jan 09, 2013 03:40pm
Proudkafir, The Army is also losing a battle with the Taliban,double disband !!!
babu
Jan 09, 2013 03:46pm
MURDABAD, you forgot petrodollars ,besides the neo converts are from the prisons of Germany ,UK or USA or trapped immigrants in the GULF or maybe with low IQ
babu
Jan 09, 2013 03:48pm
Kaafir, Wait..........,the will want to migrate to India sooner or latter
asim
Jan 09, 2013 07:16pm
@Proud Kafir Proof to my observation is the presence of Indian diasphora around the globe. Even the Gandhi came from Africa. Need to educate youself before you open you mouth.
Amir Malik
Jan 10, 2013 05:39pm
To get the Asylum people lie. This is a common practice to make your case strong.Specially the story of Ghyas from Ayesha Bawany Government College. He is lying. He was a terrorist and shot two students. I was in the same college. I also know personally many Ahmadis are in the top most key position of Pakistan. Even in Army.
Nayani
Jan 10, 2013 05:25pm
Gandhiji is from Gujarath, india, eventhough he started the concept of non-cooperation while he was practising law in Africa which led to freedom struggle.
george
Jan 10, 2013 08:55am
On the net some muslims even discuss whether they should have their clothes on when a couple is in bed at night. Pathetic.
asim
Jan 10, 2013 03:19pm
@George and you are the one who look on these post on internet, isn't? As you are an ignorant. This reflects your intellectual level.
Samina Sattar
Jan 12, 2013 08:07pm
Muslims tend to be the most insulated people in the west.the second generation is also very narrow minded. compared to other minorities they don't get absorbed and are always blaming others for their failures..these are the truly huddled masses here, they face more problems than other immigrants.
jimmy
Jan 13, 2013 02:49am
and still US is ur enemy no.1..isn't?
openurmind
Jan 13, 2013 05:06am
from all your comments on this blog, it is clear that YOU are the one who is ignorant, biased and a fundamentalist yourself. Go open your mind and get an education - and start by reading other BOOKS. The one you have been reading so far has misled you. When the final history of the world will be written, you and your like will confined to the ash heaps.
openurmind
Jan 13, 2013 05:09am
In case you did not or cannot read, the topic of this article is people from PAKISTAN seeking asylum abroad. It is not about ppl from other countries around the globe doing the same, As for the last sentence, practice before you preach!!