sachin tendulkar, tendulkar retirement
Sachin Tendulkar. -File photo by AFP

NEW DELHI: Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar on Sunday announced his retirement from international one-day cricket after scoring a record-breaking 49 centuries in the 50-over format.

The 39-year-old is the world's top run-getter in one-day cricket, with 18,426 runs from 463 matches at an average of 44.83.

“I have decided to retire from the one-day format of the game,” he said in a statement.

“I feel blessed to have fulfilled the dream of being part of a World Cup winning Indian team (in 2011).

“I am eternally grateful to all my well-wishers for their unconditional support and love over the years.”Tendulkar, who is also the highest scorer in Tests, said that he was quitting to allow the Indian selectors to build a team for the 2015 World Cup which is being held in Australia and New Zealand.

“The preparatory process to defend the World Cup in 2015 should begin early... I would like to wish the team all the very best for the future,” he said.

Tendulkar, who has been dubbed the “Little Master”, made his one-day debut aged 16 in Gujranwala on a tour of Pakistan in 1989. He lasted just two deliveries before being dismissed by Waqar Younis without scoring.

But in what turned out to be his last two one-day innings, during the Asia Cup in Dhaka in March, he made 114 against Bangladesh to record his 100th international century and then scored 52 against Pakistan.

He played in six World Cups since 1992 and finally found success in his last appearance in the tournament when India defeated Sri Lanka in the final in Tendulkar's home city of Mumbai on April 2, 2011.

He was carried off the pitch at the end of the game on the shoulders of his team-mates.

Tendulkar was two months away from his 37th birthday when he smashed the first-ever double century in the history of one-day internationals, making an unbeaten 200 against South Africa in Gwalior in February, 2010.

It was unclear if he will continue to play Test cricket, where he has scored a record 15,645 runs in 194 matches at an average of 54.32 with 51 centuries. Former India skipper Krishnamachari Srikkanth said Tendulkar's records can never be matched.

“I am surprised by his move but he is leaving ODI cricket on a high. I am sure he will want to leave on a high in Test cricket also. He will be looking forward to a good Test series against Australia,” he said.

“His records cannot be surpassed.”

Former captain Sourav Ganguly said: “I felt that he might have played on, but it is his decision and I think it is right.

“There was a doubt on whether he would play ODI cricket or not. But I am not surprised by his decision. He has done what he thought was right.”

India off-spinner Harbhajan Singh also paid tribute to the record-breaking batsman.

“Master. 463 matches, 23 yrs, 18426 runs !!!! These numbers no body else will be able to come close to. salute salute salute to sachin,” he tweeted.

Tendulkar was part of a famed Indian middle order which included Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and Venkatsai Laxman - all of whom have now retired from all levels of the game.

His announcement on Sunday comes only weeks after Ricky Ponting, second only to Tendulkar in the list of highest run scorers in Test cricket, played his last match for Australia.

Tendulkar is also the star batsman for the Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League (IPL), a domestic Twenty20 tournament.

Ajmal given clearance for Worcestershire stint

“We have given NOC to Ajmal but want him to return in mid-July so that he can be part of team's tour to Sri Lanka.”

Nadal, Federer breeze into Monte Carlo last eight

Champion Djokovic also dropped just one game as he demolished Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta 6-0 6-1.

Bale leads Madrid 2-1 past Barca for Copa del Rey

Bale filled the void left by the injured Ronaldo, sealing Real Madrid's 19th Copa del Rey title.

Shahnaz to take up reins as Pakistan coach

Another former captain, Islahuddin, will be the chief selector as Pakistan look to drag themselves out of a slump.

Comments are closed.

Comments (70)

Farid
December 23, 2012 8:39 am
No matter what country you are from, you can have nothing but respect for Sachin. I consider myself lucky to have been around in the same era as his playing days. Unbelievable talent aside, the man is the most decent cricketer ever, a true gentleman of the game. Never behaved badly, never involved in any controversy and always dedicated to his craft. He has side a shining example for all young cricketers of the world to follow.
Mihir Shah
December 23, 2012 6:46 pm
It is because youngsters in pakistan grow up watching the likes wasim akram, imran khan and sohaib akhter, where in india, youngsters grow up watching sachin, gavaskar and them...
Sheetal
December 23, 2012 3:04 pm
The greatest ever batsman and a perfect gentleman and an ambassador of the game. He played with grace and sportsmanship. His greatness can be gauged from the fact that Sir Don Bradman himself acknowledged him greatness and Australian govt bestowed "order of Australia" on him. Which Asian got this reward before ? and how many batsmen get a standing ovation in Australia ? He left a legacy that all the Genuine cricket lovers will miss, nevermind narrow-minded unsporting hatemongers who themselves of nothing that can even come close to Sachin's greatness.
Kamak
December 23, 2012 9:50 am
I feel stop watching cricket...Mayan calender was true. When GOD announces his retirements, the world truly ends………
Aslam
December 23, 2012 9:22 am
No Sehwag was second, he was faster though and made more runs then Sachin.
Azam Chowdhry
December 23, 2012 3:26 pm
I wish all the best to one of the best in the history of the cricket. Hopefully Indian cricket board will give him a chance to serve as a coach or a manger if desires to do so.
Amarnath
December 23, 2012 5:25 pm
His batting has been an inspiration. His humility .... even bigger .... awe inspiring.
Razor
December 23, 2012 10:45 am
I guess you meant waste. Anyways I sill think he has atleast an years cricket left in him. He could have still played another 20-25 ODIs. And yes, he should have retired in front of the crowd. The crowds deserved that.
Muhammad Daud Alam
December 23, 2012 8:53 am
O bhai ye matches fix hotay hay top level pay ....cricket diplomacy...
Saurabh
December 23, 2012 3:57 pm
im so happy Fahad to read that Sachin is so much loved in Pakistan also..im really touched.Feels a bit sad today with his retirement but what can we do every good thing has to be ended someday..u said true that we r proud that such greats like wasim and sachin are from asia only..we will surely continue to generate such greats in future..inzi,saeed anwar,saqlain,waqr,wasim are unforgettable crickets of pakistan..once again thnks Fahad Mirza for your touching comment.
Prasad without Pra
December 23, 2012 10:31 am
What is all the fuss about?? He has made a lot of records only because the Indians did not have enough talent to replace him. If he was in Pakistan or worse Australia, he would have been on the sidelines long before playing SOOOOOO MANY matches. If I ask my 8 year old to play so many matches, he will for sure break Tendulkars record.
Muhammad Daud Alam
December 23, 2012 8:51 am
no!... every batsman you mentioned has his own unique class...
Farid
December 23, 2012 8:33 am
Umm, excuse me, but Sehwag hit the first ODI double-ton.
Razor
December 23, 2012 4:58 pm
Prasad without whatever your real name is, your comment shows your knowledge about cricket. Lesson for you ... Never give opinion about the sports on which you dont have any clue about. you look like a fool with that comment
IndiaUSA
December 23, 2012 8:27 am
Respect!
Dinesh
December 23, 2012 8:13 am
To the sculptor of the first ODI double-ton, take a bow!
sanjib
December 23, 2012 11:20 am
what is cricket today and it's poppularity, is for sachin. this subcontinent is cricket mad due to this god of cricket.
Mrudul Mohan
December 23, 2012 8:02 am
Mayan calender was true. When GOD announces his retirements, the world truly ends.........
chintu
December 23, 2012 10:51 am
About time!
saurabh
December 23, 2012 10:40 am
i accepted ur view this is the end of worls
Cherian (Melbourne)
December 23, 2012 11:54 am
Time and tide waits for none and that includes you dearest Sachin. Over a career spanning approx 25 years you outshone everyone in the world of cricket and set high and lofty standards of excellence. Despite the countless number of ups and downs it is your astounding achievements that stand out. Time to bid good bye and I do so with a heavy heart. Thanks for all your contributions to Indian cricket. You will always remain my favourite cricketer and will be sorely missed.
nishant
December 23, 2012 7:42 am
struggling pakistan will getta sight of relief.... but Yuvi & sehwag will milk the pak bowlers !!
Imran
December 23, 2012 11:39 am
Thank god he finally retired...I thought I would never see that day and he would be playing with a stick in one hand and a bat in the other :P
Fahad Mirza- Karachi
December 23, 2012 2:37 pm
Comment from dennis lillee was the funniest
chinmay boriwal
December 23, 2012 4:14 pm
alas....master blaster retired from odis...out of his 49 odi tons, i think i have at least watched 30,and innumerous 50s or less scores....my favourite inns of his was 98 vs pak in sa in 2003 world cup,playing under tremendous pressure...he delivered!
sb
December 23, 2012 12:20 pm
Yeah. Great loss for Indian cricket. Other cricket playing nations wonder how India keeps producing quality batsman and Pakistan produces quality fast bowlers.
tarun
December 23, 2012 12:06 pm
If you had gone to him and told him in years he might have listened..:) Bro, my point is u really can't impose your choices on sachin..and I think u don't even listen to what he says..he said i won't retire when i will be on top..i will retire when I will be no use to my team and that's what he did!! So please pay your tribute and be a nice earthling!
tarun
December 23, 2012 12:04 pm
Don't be so happy by your nieghbour's abysmal performance..i know u can't feel the moment because it was India who got this JEWEL which perhaps no country can produce in the coming 100 years or so..so please behave like a gentleman!!
tarun
December 23, 2012 12:02 pm
I still don't see the reason why people disliked your comment..some people really want to live in a state of denial as hate is an integral part of their life
tarun
December 23, 2012 11:59 am
he is talking about the league Daud..they have a different league..Inzi ,Saeed ganguly, dravid, kumble, waqar, saqlain...they had a different class..!! above two players he mentioned were phenomenal!!
tarun
December 23, 2012 12:00 pm
yaa right but no body was so volatile than sachin..scoring runs on the toughest of pitches around the world and that too consistently and time have had no effect upon him till recently!!
Ali Shah
December 23, 2012 11:58 am
Take a bow SRT. Marks the end of an era
Fahad Mirza- Karachi
December 23, 2012 2:22 pm
very funny prasad..... my dear friend one day you will neglect your own comment.... u will never ever substitue sachin..
mark
December 23, 2012 12:49 pm
sachin tendulkar has left a vacuum in indian cricket.i have never seen such a cricket loving player who played with courage,determination,devotion and honesty.
Zulfiqar
December 23, 2012 12:41 pm
He will be missed...
Muhammad Daud Alam
December 23, 2012 8:50 am
Don't forget Inzi and saeed anwar as well......
tarun
December 23, 2012 1:17 pm
Hhaha..hahahaha..I simply pity you ..just one word pity for you..!! God bless u with some brains!!
Fahad Mirza- Karachi
December 23, 2012 2:15 pm
(The pitches will never produce such matchless timber, a ball and a footwork relation again. Bye dear Sachin.) A book is not enough to describe your teen age life, dedication and your services in cricket sports. May be we can see your style of batting ever. A rhythmic talking of timber with ball that ran all over the ropes. Ahh… miss you a lot.. An era of a man pure from controversies, non cricketing shorts, slogging, reverse sweeps, switch hitting and played every classical short at their best level. You are leaving the grounds and the pitches are going to be barren in lost of your foot works. You have stolen the hearts and today sorrows occupy the hearts of cricket lovers. Our ears will never listen such a precise sound from your bat in chilled weather of London. There is no doubt batsmen from new generation make you role model as you made them mad. To give you a tribute I have no word to explain. For a glance, we will never ever see a straight batting player like you and future innings will never knock the doors of your batting level. I wish you a happy and healthy life forever. And I Pray you will get your rhythm back in white dress form of cricket.
Fahad Mirza- Karachi
December 23, 2012 2:35 pm
• I have watched a lot of Tendulkar and we have spoken to each other a lot. He has it in him to be among the very best: Sir Garfield Sobers. • He is 99.5 per cent perfect. I'd pay to see him: Viv Richards. • I saw him playing on television and was struck by his technique, so I asked my wife to come look at him. Now I never saw myself play, but I feel that this player is playing much the same as I used to play, and she looked at him on Television and said yes, there is a similarity between the two... his compactness, technique, stroke production... it all seemed to gel: Sir Donald Bradman. • Technically he stands out as the best because of his ability to increase the pace at will: David Boon. • There is no shame being beaten by such a great player, Sachin is perhaps only next to the Don: Steve Waugh. • If I've to bowl to Sachin, I'll bowl with my helmet on. He hits the ball so hard: Dennis Lillee. • I'll be going to bed having nightmares of Sachin just running down the wicket and belting me back over the head for six. He was unstoppable. I don't think anyone, apart from Don Bradman, is in the same class as Sachin Tendulkar. He is just an amazing player: Shane Warne. • Don't bowl him bad balls, he hits the good ones for fours: Michael Kasprowicz. • He is a perfectly balanced batsman and knows perfectly well when to attack and when to play defensive cricket. He has developed the ability to treat bowlers all over the world with contempt and can destroy any attack with utmost ease: Greg Chappell. • He's a phenomenon. We have to be switched on when he plays allow him no boundries, for then he doesn't stop: Mark Taylor. • Tendulkar is the most complete batsman I have stood behind. I saw the hundred in Perth on a bouncy pitch with Hughes, McDermott and Whitney gunning for him — he only had 60-odd when No 11 came in. I've seen him against Warne too: Ian Healy. • I still think Tendulkar is the best batsmen in the world ahead of Steve Waugh and Lara: Glenn McGrath. • He is currently the best batsman in the world: Sir Gary Sobers. • There's no doubt about it. He is the best: Tony Grieg. • Technically, you can't fault Sachin. Seam or spin, fast or slow — nothing is a problem: Geoffrey Boycott. • West Indian great Brian Lara said Sachin Tendulkar was a peerless batsman with a lot more to offer. Lara said: "For me, the best batsman in the world is Sachin Tendulkar. • "Cricketers like Sachin come once in a lifetime and I am privileged he played in my time," said Pakistan legend Wasim Akram.
Razor
December 23, 2012 6:23 am
End of an unforgettable era. And this will never come again ............... We will miss you dearly Sachin
Lal Vishwas
December 23, 2012 6:30 am
An era of ODI ends ...
Rashid
December 23, 2012 6:38 am
Jewel of the Subcontinent.
Chen
December 23, 2012 6:38 am
A great relief to pak team on india tour
shekar
December 23, 2012 6:41 am
End Of an god on the feild ...............And this will never n ever repeat...... we will miss u dada....... we love you .....
dr dang
December 23, 2012 6:43 am
Sachin > Don >Lara >Gavaskar > Ponting >Anwar.>Jayawardene>Yousuf M >Ganguly.
Srikanth
December 23, 2012 6:43 am
will miss your superb batting Mr.Sachin!
ammariftikhar
December 23, 2012 6:46 am
aftermath of humiliation by England!
Hani
December 23, 2012 6:46 am
end to long run of selfishness hope he show same courage regarding test cricket also.
Chen
December 23, 2012 6:49 am
.....and this is coming directly from shahid afridi ;-)
SANJAY
December 23, 2012 6:55 am
We will miss you tendulkar - it was a wish that you play for the India Pakistan one day series but it was not to be - well whatever it is cricket has become poor with your retirement
Jitendra
December 23, 2012 6:56 am
He has served in one format (cricket) for the country. When one phase ends, another phase starts. As a superhuman, he will serve the country in another form. We will always miss you Sachin!!!!
Zack
December 23, 2012 7:03 am
Why didn't retire immediately after world cup then. Such a waist
peddarowdy
December 23, 2012 7:06 am
The entire Cricketing world, barring Pakistan, will grieve at the great man's exit from the format he has dominated! Only last year he had scored a double century against a top side.. Goes to show he is retiring when on top.
FAHAD - KARACHI
December 23, 2012 7:07 am
NO DOUBT, WE WILL NEVER EVER SEE MASTER STYLE BATTING LIKE S.R.TEND. BUT I PRAY THAT THIS ASIAN SOIL WILL NOT STOP OF BIRTHS OF MARVELOUS BOWLERS AND BATSMEN... AS A APAKISTANI , I FEEL PROUD THAT TENDULKER AND WASIM BELONGS TO ASIA...... ... AND WHAT A MARVELOUS ERA, HIS ODI STARTS AGAINST PAKISTAN AND END HIS ODI IN AISA CUP AGAINST PAKISTAN............
mohan
December 23, 2012 7:11 am
here after i forgot cricket game
Fahad Mirza- Karachi
December 23, 2012 7:20 am
No doubt we will never ever see master class batting like Sachin Tendulkar. But I pray that this Asian soil will not stop to deliver marvelous batsmen and bowlers. As a Pakistani I feel proud that Tendulker and Wasim belongs to Asia. And for our juniors its better to make these legends as a role model. And what a marvelous era. His ODI starts against Pakistan and end his ODI in Asia Cup against Pakistan.
Mohit
December 23, 2012 7:21 am
cricket god is gone .... we we get another another one like him .... humm... humm.... no NEVER....
kunal karan
December 23, 2012 7:21 am
god of cricket has been partioned.................his body n soul...........we all luv u sachin...miss u god...!!!:-(
YASH
December 23, 2012 7:25 am
Will miss u SACHIN......... "THE GOD OF CRICKET"
Bbbb
December 24, 2012 1:00 am
A jackal was lying on a small narrow bridge, with all of his body stretched across the bridge. A man passed by on a cart, and wanted to cross the bridge. He shooed the jackal, to move him out of the way. The jackal didn't move. The man said aloud, that if the jackal doesn't move, then he is going to run over the jackal with his cart. The jackal replied, "if you crush me, then the world is going to end. The man hesitated for a moment, then ran the cart over the jackal. Nothing happened, and the man asked the crushed jackal. "Did the world end?" The dying Jackal replied, "It may not have ended for you, but it has definitely ended for me".
MOHAMMAD
December 24, 2012 3:51 am
dear tendulkar sahib,you are a cricket genius, you have played enough cricket, you earned a lot, you helped the cricket and its fans. BUT now please search for the GOD. i hope that you will find the real GOD. because life hereafter (after death) should be enjoyed as well.
Amol
December 24, 2012 4:35 am
we will miss u sach................
chinmay boriwal
December 24, 2012 4:51 am
people only see records,performances etc etc....SRT is not just a cricket player.he is the sign of indian unity.from assam to rajasthan,from J&K to tamil nadu,or rather in the whole world. he is the symbol of india growing as a nation in cricket revenues. He has mesmerised cricket lovers and even the maestros,like sir don bradman.he saw many good cricketers but he told his wife he's the one batting like he did in bradman era.any reward/accolade/honour is the honour of cricket,dedication and honesty.if his batting lets people forget their woes,he is someone special.he is the mumbai methuselah...the pied-piper of india.him winning the world cup was his high.i personally feel he has at least one year of cricket left in him.we will need him in the south african tour later in 2013,what our young india can do...we all saw recently.it is gross misdemeanor when the insane media asked him to retire...for what?-their own TRPs? I liked his 98 against pakistan in 2003 world cup the most
Bbbb
December 24, 2012 4:52 am
No other country wants this kind of jewel as well! What a gentleman!
Bbbb
December 24, 2012 4:55 am
Scoring runs around the world. Can you give me a breakdown of his matches played in a country and the runs scored?
Shehzad Zafar
December 24, 2012 4:58 am
Thanks God finally a selfish player from Indian team is gone. Hopefully it can now win more series outside of India now as some new player who plays for Indai rather then himself replaces him.
Bbbb
December 24, 2012 5:00 am
Because, the so called subcontinent got some other countries in it besides India, who don't want anything to do with such a loser, who only played for the records. Some one once said, "When Inzimam scores a century, Pakistan wins, when Tindulkar score a century, India loses"
Javed
December 24, 2012 5:06 am
Such a pathetic post....
kashif
December 24, 2012 5:56 am
OMG..Indians got something to talk about now....hope this farewell stories of Tendulkar will not continue another decade....in Indian media.
Sumit
December 24, 2012 7:36 am
Let me guess, the "someone" who said that must've been a true Pakistani patriot! If that "someone" had bothered to check the stats he would know that 33 out of Sachin's 49 centuries in ODI s resulted in wins......a record! Source-cricinfo.com, go check it out!
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll