LAHORE, Nov 30: Four more people reportedly victims of the ‘spurious’ cough syrup were admitted to public hospitals on Friday.
Lahore Executive District Officer (health) Dr Inamul Haq confirmed that Mayo and Services hospitals received two patients each. The arrival of new cases at hospitals shows that the syrup is still in the market.
Mayo Medical Superintendent Dr Zahid Pervez denied any new cough syrup related patient reported to the hospital.
An official told Dawn seeking anonymity that investigators had found six batches of the Tyno syrup filled with spurious elements. He said the arrival of new patients showed incompetence of investigating agencies and the health wings of district and provincial government. He said police had also failed to seize the syrup from the market.
The official said six batches — each containing 10,000 to 16,000 bottles — were marketed either on Nov 22 or 23 in Lahore. So far, 18 people have died in syrup-related incidents and over two dozen are being treated in hospitals.
An additional district and sessions judge on Friday granted interim bail to the owner of the factory that manufactures ‘killer’ cough syrup (Tyno).
Accused Khalid Salim Mian, through his counsel, pleaded that a case was registered against him and his factory was also sealed when dozens of people in the city died after intake of the cough syrup manufactured by his company.
He said the initial inquiry had established that there was no defect in the syrup’s ingredients but the people died due to excessive dose.
The accused stated that he had no role in the deaths of the alleged syrup addicts and requested the court to grant him bail.
The judge allowed the accused interim bail till Dec 6 and directed him to submit two surety bonds, worth Rs100,000 each.—Staff Reporter