RAWALPINDI, Nov 29: A joint team investigating the suicide attack on a Muharram procession in Dhoke Syeddan has failed to achieve any breakthrough as fingerprints of the suspected bomber could not match with the record of the National Database Regulatory Authority, Dawn has learnt.
More than 20 people were killed in the attack.
The joint investigation team (JIT) also failed to reconstruct the suspected bomber’s face because it was badly damaged from forehead to chin.
The JIT comprising officers from the Counter-Terrorism Department and police has been investigating the incident on different lines — trying to find clues to trace the facilitators of the suicide attack and get cellphone call data of people gathered at and around the scene at the time of the blast.
After finding suspected phone numbers from the data the investigators will grill the callers.
The source privy to the probe said the suspected bomber’s fingerprints report by police could not help the investigators because it was negative.
A senior police officer who did not want to be named told Dawn: “There had been a grim chance that the result could be positive because the bomber was a teenage boy.”