IT is becoming somewhat common to assault doctors for one reason or another. Doctors have demanded police protection. But it would not be possible to post police in all the wards and OPDs of all the hospitals.

A solution is that doctors should establish gyms in the hospitals and should start doing vigorous body-building exercises daily for one hour. They should aim at building their bodies.

Once, they build an imposing body and, assuming there are four doctors in a ward, no one will even think of picking up a fight with a group of doctors with massive physique.

Exercise is medicine that can help in disease prevention and management. It will also be instrumental in safeguarding the doctors.

F.H.M. Karachi

Foreign intelligence intervention

SPEAKING to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about unrest in parts of eastern Ukraine, US Secretary of State...

FCR: Fata woes

THE tribal people are controlled under the black law known as the Frontier Crimes Regulation (FCR). The tribal ...

Draft labour policy

APROPOS the news report ‘Anomalies in labour policy draft pointed out’ (April 11), it is mentioned: “It...

Hazardous cooking oil

THIS is apropos the reports ‘Import of hazardous cooking oil’ (April 11) and ‘China, India face huge cancer...

Comments are closed.

Comments (11)

Arias89 (@Arias89)
November 29, 2012 11:47 pm
Maybe clear up the disgusting levels of corruption in the healthcare "system" in Pakistan and then maybe Drs wouldn't need to consider self defence... just a thought.
Kris
November 29, 2012 5:46 pm
This is one of the idea for addressing the problem of assault on the doctors. We should encourage the ideas from our public no matter how different it may be. I commend Dawn to bring proposal by FHM to light through the paper. It appears that the conditions are such every one seems easily frustrated. This is a social problem which needs to be addressed. To me this is a good research topic for study in the field of communication. I think most of the problems between the doctors, patients and the hospital staff leading to assault can be handled by well trained councillors/communicators. The patients are the customers of hospitals and doctors. We need to treat the patients/customers as Walmart treats its customers. Walmart provides training to its emplyees in customer care, handling with difficult people, communication skills etc. Patients no motter how poor they may be , but they need to be treated with full respect by our professionals/sahibs.
Khurram Awan
November 29, 2012 2:24 pm
very good plan.
Nazia
November 29, 2012 2:45 pm
Excuse me.I do not live in Pakistan but I do know that doctors are mistreated and abused by the so called party leaders.They would make unnecessary demands on being seen first for non emergency cases...once they even pulled a child from the O.R who was being operated upon so that their guy could get surgery first.They drag the doctors ,beat them up just because they are trying to do their job right.THAT in my opinion is non sense.Gyms in the hospitals are norms where I work in USA.I think the writer should have suggested carrying a govt supplied pistol by the doctors as a deterrent.
Sajid
November 29, 2012 1:47 pm
Enjoyed the article
Shah
November 29, 2012 1:30 pm
The most credible unit of the so-called fourth pilar of the state, i.e. Journalism has also joined hands with rest of the pilars to make fun of Pakistani publics' miseries by publishing such rubbish letters and rejecting reasonable comments on different articles.
Dr.M.M.Khan
November 29, 2012 12:13 pm
What next Karate courses in hospitals?. I have never heard such nonsense in my life. I thought Dawn had better things to publish than this. What doctors need is dialogue with the patients and not defense. I have always taught my students"Be patient and teach the patients to be patient" but then i don't live in Pakistan. I have had angry patients but a good conversation has always cleared the misunderstanding. Remember the patient is the weaker partner. Patrionising behaviour is counterproductive. This is my message after 40 years in Hospital practice.
observer
November 29, 2012 11:09 am
What a useless letter.
Muhammad
November 29, 2012 1:05 pm
Is this a joke or the writer is out of his mind? Either way, the Dawn must not have published it.
Muhammad
November 29, 2012 1:02 pm
And non-sense too.
Raheel Adnan
November 29, 2012 8:09 am
Oh really? Thought such letters are never meant to appear in an earnest newspaper.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Cartoons