“I am 86 now, too old to pen weekly columns. Besides what’s there to write about with the same old politics and same old politicians. Do you really believe that they will go away? —Dawn.com Photo

KARACHI: One of Pakistan’s oldest and most renowned columnists, Ardeshir Cowasjee, passed away in Karachi on Saturday at the age of 86.

Cowasjee, whose weekly columns graced the Dawn newspaper from 1988 to 2011, was suffering from chest illness and had been admitted in a Karachi hospital’s intensive care unit for the past 12 days.

Born on April 13, 1926 to Rustom Faqir Cowasjee and Mucca Rustomjee, Ardeshir joined the family shipping business after completing his education from the Bai Virbaiji Soparivala Parsi (BVS) High School and DJ Sindh Govt Science College.

He had two children with wife Nancy Dinshaw. His daughter lives in Karachi and works in the family business and his son is an architect in the US. Their mother passed away in 1992.

“Now, old at 85, tired, and disillusioned with a country that just cannot pull itself together in any way and get on with life in this day and age, I have decided to call it a day,” he wrote in a column in December 2011 for Dawn.

He went on to write two more columns that year before he finally put his pen to rest.

More than just a columnist

Cowasjee was known for his outspoken criticism of politicians and the religious right.

“I am 86 now, too old to pen weekly columns. Besides what’s there to write about with the same old politics and same old politicians. Do you really believe that they will go away? I am bored writing about them again and again,” he said in an interview last month.

“Ardeshir Cowasjee is more than just a columnist for a Pakistani newspaper. He has become the conscience of a nation,” wrote Nirupuma Subramanian in the Hindu.

“I don’t do it for the money,” the LA Times quoted him in a 2008 interview. “What they pay me wouldn’t even buy this tie. It’s an exercise of the mind. I do it to be sane. Because nothing works with logic in this place.”

In addition to his columns, Cowasjee was also known as a successful businessman, social activist, and an active philanthropist.

“Mr Cowasjee donated heavily to charities – TCF school in Lyari bears witness to that,” said journalist Omar Quraishi in a tweet Saturday after Cowasjee’s death.

His charitable organisation, the Cowasjee Foundation, was responsible for providing funding for higher education to many Pakistani students. Many of Karachi’s hospitals such as the Lady Dufferin Hospital, Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation and the National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases have also benefited from the foundation.

“Very few people know Ardeshir Cowasjee quietly tried to support upright, young journos financially,” said Abbas Nasir, a former Dawn editor.

Many leading names in Pakistan’s journalism circles looked up to the columnist.

“Amazing teacher. Worked on many stories with him in my early days in journalism,” said Azhar Abbas, who now heads a leading Pakistani news channel.

“Sad to hear that one of Pakistan’s finest & most conscientious columnists, Ardeshir Cowasjee, has passed away,” said columnist Nadeem F. Paracha in a tweet sent out Saturday. “May his soul rest in peace.”

ahmad
Nov 24, 2012 03:14pm
He was the voice of reason,a great socialite, writer and philanthropist,
Ahmar Mustikhan
Nov 24, 2012 01:14pm
Ardeshir Cowasjee was one of the finest sons of Karachi. May his soul rest in peace.
Riz
Nov 24, 2012 02:06pm
God Bless him
Anwar.suhail
Nov 24, 2012 02:08pm
Man with character, integrity and guts. We'll always remember you.
Nauman
Nov 24, 2012 03:56pm
An era has ended.
Dr. Rehan Jafri
Nov 24, 2012 04:42pm
It's a shock that he is gone. He was among the the very few good men in Pakistan. I wish I can live just one day in my life the way he lived, bold, honest, courageous and desperate for change. God has given him everything but not like others he gave back everything to the society. Mr. Cowsjee Your writings someday will bring change. Your bravery and sacrifice cannot go in vain. RIP
Aman Ullah Khan
Nov 26, 2012 06:50am
I became very sad to listen the news about the demise of Cowasjee. I really enjoyed his weekly columns in the daily Dawn and lately in daily Express, but his Columns in the daily Dawn are worth appreciation. With his death, we really miss a great person of conscience which are dear in our country these days.
Da'Greek
Nov 24, 2012 02:07pm
He belonged to a rare breed of columnist who are so well read and well informed that their analysis of events are seconded by well established research and facts. Being an Indian who reads Indian news media I notice how rapidly its sliding downhill. On the other hand I discovered Ardeshir quite late and have tried to google his articles since they are all priceless in terms of content. I have a suggestion for Dawn and the many readers who are Ardeshir's fans. Please pull out all his columns ever written and publish them as a book. We in this continent never realize the many fantastic people we have in our midst until we lose them. That loss is multiplied when besides losing them we lose their work and thoughts.
Sadia
Nov 24, 2012 01:12pm
Fearless. Pakistani. Citizen.
Baber
Nov 24, 2012 02:05pm
What an irreplaceable soul. Done his bit gracefully. RIP.
Adeel
Nov 24, 2012 02:05pm
Your writings were true and honest. Your words were inspiring. Your just voice will be missed in what has become an intolerant and unjust land. May your soul rest in peace (amen)
Masood Hussain
Nov 24, 2012 02:05pm
One of the most upright and conscientious columnist I know,a multifaceted person with genuin interest in charities.
Asim
Nov 25, 2012 07:51am
RIP Sir!...Please see if you can do anything for Pakistan from up there, there is no hope from the leaders here!
Mushtaq
Nov 24, 2012 03:56pm
I'm not sad - Ardeshir Cowasjee lived as very few dare to live: He made an indelible positive contribution to the society and country he lived in, and has been called back to our Creator, having given us the best he could. The sadness I feel is for Pakistan, which continues to be used by the corrupt men in power. Ardeshir Cowasjee shines on brightly, in the words he left us, in the works, schools and charities he left behind, and now in the presence of Allah. While our rulers and the men of violence conduct themselves in Cowasjee's Pakistan as before, still unaware of his wisdom and compassion.
M Haroon Lohar
Nov 25, 2012 11:44am
He was the man of finest taste, having sterling qualities of grace, dignity and loyalty. His passing away has broken us and shattered our dreams. No words can describe the pain, sorrow and grief which I feel.He'll be remembered til our last breath. May Allah rest his soul in peace. Ameen
Karun Khanna
Nov 24, 2012 03:00pm
Cowasjee's articles were always a treat to read. Being among a handful of the great Parsi community remaining in Pakistan his frankness and logic remained a healing balm to lawless Karachi till his sad demise. Karun Khanna, New Delhi
osama
Nov 25, 2012 04:06pm
a nice man and a columnist . he had the courage to speek bravely which is very difficult to find in these days
N K Ali
Nov 25, 2012 04:27am
RIP Ardeshir Cowasjee. You were a fearless man and met your challenges facing them. We in Pakistan will miss your courageous writing and opinions. RIP.
Riaz
Nov 24, 2012 12:53pm
RIP. May Allah bless your soul with eternal peace, Ameen!
Jimmy Butt
Nov 24, 2012 02:22pm
He worked tiredlessly with head, heart and hand and challenged endlessly to corrupt and polluted minds. The legacy left behind by Mr Cowasjee will bear his name for generations to come. May Allah give him rewards for his good work and deeds. RIP
Sohaib YAHIA
Nov 24, 2012 12:55pm
May God rest his soul in peace! Mr. Cowasjee was a terrific columnist and we grew up reading his straight from the heart and no-nonsense articles.
Mohammad
Nov 24, 2012 12:57pm
sad sad day......
Mashiqkhan
Nov 24, 2012 12:58pm
Karachi lost a true Mujahid. May God bless his soul.
BRUISED INDIAN
Nov 24, 2012 12:59pm
Truly a blow to the Pakistan's literary world. What an icon of a personality Ardeshir was! Sad... will miss his columns...
Najma Rafique Ansari
Nov 24, 2012 01:01pm
Great man.
SS
Nov 24, 2012 01:03pm
For He Was A Man For Peace, Dignity and Justice... He Will Be Sorely Missed By his readers around the World... One of the greatest Pakistan ever had... Pakistan, The Land of Pure, has today lost a large chunk of its conscience and Purity... May Peace Be Upon You, Sir...
Naveed Lotia
Nov 24, 2012 05:17pm
May you rest in peace Mr. Cowasjee. You were a trailblazer in journalism and made a huge difference. It was a pleasure reading your views and exchanging e-mails with you, though we never personally met. A big loss to Pakistan, especially Karachi.
Amir Jaffer
Nov 24, 2012 01:06pm
So shocked and sad to learn about his passing. Pakistan has lost a valiant journalist. Rest in peace Mr. Cowasjee. Thank you for all you did for Pakistan.
Ahmed
Nov 24, 2012 01:08pm
Very sad and shocking for me. He lived to speak truth and defied all dangers to look straight into the eyes of tyrants and hypocrites. I salute him. May Allah bless his soul. We have lost a voice for us.
AHA
Nov 24, 2012 01:08pm
A great loss to Pakistan. May Allah have mercy on his soul.
Asamadkhan
Nov 24, 2012 03:27pm
He once wrote a column on delay in the Asghar Khan case, I sent him an email wishing him life long life to see the end of the case...God bless him in afterlife.
anadil
Nov 24, 2012 04:29pm
We should carry his work forward..lets build karachi as per his vision, with parks, open spaces, with public transport, with love for each other
Usman
Nov 24, 2012 04:28pm
So sad to read this. Growing up in Lahore I used to wait for Mr Cowasjee's weekly columns. Big loss for Pakistan
Ajamal
Nov 24, 2012 04:27pm
Let's pay tribute to Cowasjee by giving our share of peace and normalcy to Pakistan and help the country pull itself out of current abyss.
sh.jamil
Nov 24, 2012 04:25pm
May God Almighty bless his soul.I have always considered him to be a role model for all right thinking people of Pakistan.
Robert Yuna
Nov 24, 2012 04:24pm
R.I.P. God bless him. Allah Hafiz.
akhter husain
Nov 24, 2012 05:16pm
Ardeshir Cowasjee will live as long as "National Conscience" lives. his curt, to-point and straight forward replies can never be forgotten.I still remember one such reply on a talk show while answering about judiciary he said "BILKUL"that gives the entire picture of illness the society is suffering from.I hope and pray the team he left will continue his mission.as fearlessly as he used to .God may bless his soul.
Kiran
Nov 24, 2012 04:00pm
Pakistan has survived due to these people or else Pakistan would have destroyed by now.
Nasser Ali Khan
Nov 26, 2012 01:46am
I exchanged a few emails with him in recent years in response to his articles in Dawn. A great man; unfortunately Pakistan didn't change for the better during his lifetime, in fact it got worse and is getting worse. But we live in hope and strive for a better and sustainable tomorrow. May Allah bless Mr Cowasjee's soul; Ameen!
Skaukat Farooq
Nov 24, 2012 03:17pm
I am so sad.full of grief.A true patriot who loved Pakistan.A brave man who stood for the nation always.At the moment i do not see aperson of his courge and caliber.
Muhammad
Nov 24, 2012 03:03pm
Irreplaceable loss of a great son of the soil, a true patriot, champion of human rights and social order. We must preserve all his writings for the future generations. Totally agree with the comments posted by Da'Greek.
Dr Abid
Nov 24, 2012 03:17pm
Mr Aredsher Cowasjee U will remain the beacon of My life...How I read ur coulmns n got addict to them and thus newspaper reading habbit got in Me and that in return opened the different horizons of life.Mr Aredsher My life owe alot to Ur words and vision.Divine will be exalted by Ur presence there now.U will live with Us ,forever.
Moien Khan
Nov 24, 2012 03:17pm
This is indeed a great loss to Karachi, Pakistan and Humanity. He was a man of many parts. A true patriot, beholder of Quaid's principles, fighter to the last hilt for rights of people, be it muslims, hindus, christians, parsis, nay the common man, a man with uprightness, courage and unflinching adherence to morality and goodness, relentless and belligerent pleader of human rights and civic order, fearless exposer of corruption all around, a philanthropist with a purpose, a journalist extra-ordinaire and a man with fine mettle. Each Sunday, the first thing I read was his column. Indeed it was of high standard - a piece of art. Some one has rightly said, Dawn needs to publish his Sunday articles in book form. I don't see any journist today upholding his nerve and verve or emulating to any degree what he wrote and stood for. Today I am sad. May his soul rest in peace. Amen! Moien Khan
ahula
Nov 24, 2012 02:22pm
God bless him. A great soul. RIP
Reas Ekbar.
Nov 24, 2012 02:19pm
Cowasjee was a personal friend. I lost him. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. May his soul rest in peace. He was bold and honest. Courage and honesty go hand in hand.
Manzoor H. Khatana, Ph.D.
Nov 24, 2012 01:16pm
It is so sad to hear the passing away of Ardeshi Cowasjee; may Lord bless him inHis Kingdom. Karachi will miss its native son, but we all miss the great man.
Amer
Nov 25, 2012 11:22am
RIP to the brave soul who relentlessly worked and educated so many. May your soul rest in peace now.
Salman
Nov 29, 2012 04:28am
A fearless and determined person with a passion to bring justice and and equality. A huge loss to Pakistan not just as a journalist but for the philanthopic work he did and helped many without any word, I will always remember the first time I actually saw you in '91 in your elements cutting the Minister of Sind down to size for his hipocricy without fear of any repurcussions. Coming back to Pakistan after finishing our studies (knowing you had helped many students to study in overseas universities) at that time you were our instant hero for the cause and passion for the city and country. May your soul remain peaceful with the knowledge that you did all you could against the odds.We salute your service and for the inspiration you have given us. Salman
Naveen
Dec 04, 2012 06:48am
A brave, fearless columnist. Thank you for being such a profound advocate of our city, Karachi. You shared her history, unveiled the prevailing injustices, and gave us hope for a better future. May you rest in peace.
NASAH(USA)
Nov 25, 2012 02:36am
A secular to the bone great columnist who love his country deeply -- Pakistan can be proud of ACJ. My heartfelt condolence to his family -- we will indeed miss him.
Paul
Nov 24, 2012 10:00pm
Sad day for the world! He was a true journalist unlike many other pakistanis in this field!
Mo
Nov 24, 2012 10:09pm
I have often read columns written by Cowasajee in the last fifteen years - not knowing who he was. But every time I read his column, I was in awe of the fact that there are STILL people in Pakistan with that kind of mindset and courage. And it gave me hope for the future of the country. My condolences to his family and all those who fear for the religious zealots and fanatics.
Saryo
Nov 25, 2012 05:05am
You were a great man of your word. I m fond of you and miss your articles.
Usman Durrani.
Nov 25, 2012 03:29am
Ardeshir Cowasjee was a brave writer.He wrote truth without fear.Today is a great loss of print Media. Hope the vision he give to Pakistan other brave columnist carred his mission towards prosperity.
Dr Noman Ahmed
Nov 25, 2012 01:59pm
Mr Ardeshir Cowasjee was a fearless columnist. He was among those few whose writings changes the course of circumstances in many situations. Many high profile political and social activists were freed from jails after the relevant courts took suo moto actions after converting his columns into constitutional petitions. Many clandestine members of the nefarious land mafia were put on the back foot after Ardeshir and his colleagues fought legal battles through public service litigation. Many deserving students received scholarships and assistance both for studying in the country as well for higher education abroad. I hope a relevant social scientist shall take up the task of researching in a scientific manner the life and contributions of Mr Ardeshir Cowasjee to enlighten the world about his countless noble but not so well known deeds.
Blue anngel
Nov 25, 2012 06:44am
One of the greatest columnist among all the newspapers. i started learning english reading his aricles in DAWN since its debut in onlline. As a print media it was not available in india in our time but father & others read it in east pakistan.He was extremely popular for his style of english and modernity. He was bold and debonair in his opinion in pakistani politics but great admirer of Jinnah. i express my deepest regards for the departing soul & condolence
Ashok
Nov 24, 2012 07:00pm
Deeply saddened to learn about the passing away of Mr Cowasjee. I always looked forward to reading his columns in Dawn. Rest in peace.
Rocky
Nov 25, 2012 04:33pm
I leave my tribute to a learned man whose passing means that another voice of reason has been silenced in a land where extreme viewpoints are gagging voices of reason everyday. Ardeshir means "Half lion". That certainly was true because as a Zardushti columnist in a hardcore Islamic society, Ardeshir often chose not to tackle the hot button topics and instead focused his attention on local matters. Of course, there was not dearth of topics there, because corruption exists at every level and a champion of the masses is also needed at every level. In his later days Ardeshir was a car with 8 cylinders having to run on just 2. His style was elegant. His writing effused dignity. You knew reading his articles that he was a compassionate man way above quabbles of religion who cared for his fellow human. I was born a Hindu. I disagree with a lot of what goes in the name of Hinduism today. My ancestors converted from an unnamed Mithraic faith from which Zardushtis also emerged. Later my people converted to Buddhism, Islam, Sikkhism and Jainism. The core of it all still remains that philosophy from which we all emerged. We may choose different labels today, but we are the same people who came down from Armenia, colonized the northern part of the Indian subcontinent calling it Aryamen - the land of the Aryas. This realization needs to be paramount but most choose to be so brand loyal of their religious label that they forget that the Aryan people are one family. Ardeshir's writing reflected this realization. He was above narrow walls of religion. He was a true humanist. He will be missed.
Kumar, India
Nov 28, 2012 06:07pm
Cowasjee will be missed sorely. His wrote honestly and fearlessly. I followed him through Dawn. May his soul rest in peace.
engr.abid
Nov 25, 2012 05:31am
very good writer.i used to enjoy reading it.pakistan has lost a faithful citizen.he did his best to improve things with his honest writing.
a
Nov 25, 2012 02:59am
another voice of true Pakistani lost. May his soul rest in peace, Ameen!
Asif
Nov 25, 2012 05:25am
Extremely sad to hear this news. It is a great loss to the nation. He waged "jihad" with his pen against the corrupt politicians, extremists and mafias looting this country. I hope we can take some time to ponder over his writings and think where we are heading. Salute to the great man.
Muzaffar H. Qureshi
Nov 25, 2012 07:07am
I have seen him from a distance, read his column regularly when I was in Pakistan, met him only once at the launching of Kassim Dada's memoirs. He always filled me with a respectful awe. The country is poorer after November 24, 2012.
Ayaz
Nov 25, 2012 01:50am
Indeed a sad and day. A shining star disappeared in the gloom. he wanted Pakistan to become an easy country, available for all but He never saw it happening in His life. Despite having options, He never left the his motherland. What one can expect more of a patriotic soul. May your soul rest in peace Cawasji....Farewell. Your loss is irreparable.
imran
Nov 25, 2012 12:10am
The year 2012 has taken its toll on the artistic and intellectual resource of the Subcontinent. As if losing Rajesh Khanna and Yash Chopra was'nt enough now we lose a truely great mind in the form of Cowasjee on this side of the border. Rest in peace great Sir, rest in peace.
NathN Pal (@nathnpal)
Nov 25, 2012 01:20am
God bless his soul. Miss his columns. Great visionary with great nostalgia and perspective. We see very few people like Cowasjee who provides balanced view. Who always has South Asian interest in his heart.
Raju
Nov 24, 2012 07:33pm
He was a man of vision and character. Aradsherjee, we will always miss you and your writings that showed us the path of enlightenment, honesty and moral courage. May his soul rest in peace. Siraj Raju, London
Mateen Mirza
Nov 25, 2012 06:50am
Mr. Cowasjee was a true journalist. Fearless, honest and sincere, he would say exactly the way he saw it without regards to who he may upset. His only concern was welfare of Pakistan and Pakistanis in general. Pakistan has lost a friend.
Ismail
Nov 26, 2012 08:54pm
A voice of reason in the wilderness, a light in the darkness that is Pakistan today has gone out. I too am tired and disillusioned about a land that cannot manage itself in any respectable way. Our Jeremiah has left us but the walls of Jericho still stand...some day Mr. Cowasjee. Rest in peace.
Viraf
Nov 26, 2012 08:23pm
I feel it Ardeshir Cowasjee's passing is a great loss to the people of Pakistan and I truly am saddened to hear of his passing. I pray that Ahura Mazda may bless his soul. I also feel that the people of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan should realise that this great man, Ardeshir Cowasjee, who cared so much for the nation was in fact a Parsi Zoroastrian and his life reflected the values of a true Zoroastrian; Good Words, Good Thoughts, Good Deeds. Another important Zoroastrian principle is that of Hamazor - To help humanity for its betterment. I would say Ardeshir encapsulated all of these qualities. Pakistan is being run by Islamic zealots and yet how many of them follow Islamic principles of Umma, Zakat and truthfulness!? It seems to me the modern day rulers of Pakistan care nothing for humanity and everything for money and power. Not many people know that Mohammed Ali Jinnah's direct descendants too are Parsi Zoroastrians the most notable being Nusli Wadia, Jinnah's grandson. I would suggest this reflects the pleuralism that Jinnah had in mind for his country and yet where is this pleuralism today with so many minority communities in Pakistan feeling threatened by the rise of extreme Islam in the nation? We are all God's creation and we should all learn to love and respect each other irrespective of our individual backgrounds as we are all part of humanity.
Ch.subba Rao
Nov 25, 2012 02:18pm
this was sad and real loss for millions of dawn readers like me.
MianArshid
Nov 25, 2012 02:08pm
I remember whenever I talked hot about national politics with my late father, he use to say me smilingly; "Cowessjee banny ki koshash kr rahy ho"? Hope both would be happy in unseen world!
Kannan
Nov 25, 2012 03:37am
As a regular reader of Dawn News, I always liked the columns of Cowasjee, very outspoken, forthright and never afraid to call a spade a spade. A loss to Pakistan . RIP Cowasjee
Chadrashekhar Giri Giri
Nov 25, 2012 02:28am
THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO STAY WITH PAKISTAN OR MIGREATED TO IT HAS RUINED THEMSELF
Azam Chowdhry
Nov 26, 2012 02:34am
This is one of saddest news I have heard. I have always admired him. I knew him through his great writings. I started missing him when he stopped writing. Now we all will miss him forever. That is a great loss for Pakistan in general and for Journalism in particular. He has done great jobs for humanity. May his soul rest in peace.
Iqbal Farid
Nov 25, 2012 03:39am
a forthright and candid journalist, always spoke the truth unmindful of the consequences. he abhorred corruption....but pakistani corrupt rolled thru to mean heights! He did his job too well. MAY GOD BLESS HIS SINCERE SOUL.
Arshad
Nov 25, 2012 03:06am
RIP
Akram Butt
Nov 25, 2012 03:04am
in my whole life i never heard so candid & honest comments on TV shows though very few from Mr. Cowasjee on pakistani politicians and on dirty politics and pain he was suffering looking at the society direction. Rest in peace Mr. Cowasjee you enlighten many minds I love you
Jyoti
Nov 25, 2012 03:00am
I read his columns in Dawn in 1990s--- or rather, I read Dawn only to read his columns.. Being an Indian, it surprised me that any Pakistani journalist could be so forthright, so blunt and so honest about their own rulers. I can say, I learned about Pakistani "awam" through his articles. His passing away was a sad news for me to start the day with. May his soul rest in peace and his country, someday, fulfill his dreams.
Anonymous
Nov 25, 2012 01:14pm
Cowasjee was a man.of grand character He was forward and was not a hypocrite in any sense. I know him with his smiling face. May you find comfort in the now eternal life, Cowasjee Sahib !!
Azam
Nov 25, 2012 12:43am
A very sad news. A big loss to Pakistan. May his soul rest in Peace...
Azhar
Nov 25, 2012 12:48am
For him to be successful in Pakistan of now which is tarnished by talibanisn mindset - he belonged to Parsi faith am not Parsi but have v high respect for Parsi around the world. Especially what they have done in support of education n literacy in short 100 years even Mughals 700 years are short. MR Cowasjee Thank this Nation owe you and Parsi so so much and in return I have no word....... Wake up Pakistani now or never you must change for peace n love n respect for weak whether they are minorities or otherwise. Love
Dr. Yahya Khan
Nov 25, 2012 02:45am
Very sad news. One of the few men of conscience in the Pakistan Journalism has left us.
krishnan
Nov 25, 2012 12:13am
Agree totally.I am intrigued/sad/amazed how three people found this comment fit for a thumbs down !!
tahir wadood malik
Nov 24, 2012 01:42pm
RIP Ardeshir Cowasjee Dawn on sunday had lost its charm for me for over a year since cowasjee stopped writing, now no hope of its regaining that charm. every so often i would email him my comments on his columns, and he ALWAYS replied. the nib of a great pen broken.
Murtaza J. Bhatti
Nov 24, 2012 01:41pm
A straight forward and bold opinion holder. I wish our media learns some professional and moral journalistic values from him. Rest in Peace, Mr. Cowasjee
Sikandar
Nov 25, 2012 01:33am
What a great human being and a very patriotic Pakistani! A few more like him and Pakistan would have been a model state in the region. God bless his soul and help us learn from his boldness, honesty and love for our country.
Janikhel
Nov 25, 2012 12:18am
Mr. Cowasjee, may your soul rest in peace, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I sincerely wish, a local muslim journalist would have the skill and open-minded to bring current state of affairs to the front.
Yousuf Muhammad
Nov 25, 2012 12:21am
He was true Pakistani and an honest person. His script always talked about Pakistan and people of Pakistan. He was not Muslim but he showed love for this country more than any existing leadership or columnist he always openly talked about corruption in Pakistan . I read his columns, got the chance to watch couple of time on TV and feel like he has so much love for Pakistan. Yousuf Muhammad Milton-Canada
sajid absar
Nov 26, 2012 03:31am
Cowasjee, A great son of karachi. He will be greatlly miss.
Irfan Baloch
Nov 25, 2012 12:34pm
rest in peace Cowasjee , a sad loss, no one comes close to what you were meant for Pakistan the religious right that opposed the creation of Pakistan & proudly says that it was never involved in the "sin of Pakistan's creation" now haunts Pakistan
ghqamarbaloch
Nov 24, 2012 11:35pm
Ardeshir Cowasjee was an out spoken and well known columnist of Daily Dawn, Karachi. He always kept up banner of truthfulness. I am fortunate enough to have met and spoken with him several times through the courtesy of late Mir Ali Ahmad Khan Talupr, then Pakistan Defense Minister of Pakistan, while I was working as his Public Relations Officer in eighties. He used to call on Mr. Talpur at Dada Bahee colony residence. Again, I met him via courtesy of late Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti, while working as Director of Public Relations, Quetta in mid nineties. He was the most learned and a daring person. He always thought and pen down his opinions in the interest of the country.and its people. May God Almighty rest his soul in eternal peace
Shaha
Nov 26, 2012 09:32am
Rest in Peace Sir....
G-H. Qamar Baloch
Nov 24, 2012 11:31pm
Ardhir Cawasjee was an out spoken Cplumnist of Daily Dawn, Karachi. He always kept up banner of truthfulness. I am fortunate enough to have met and spoken with him several times through the courtesy of late Mir Ali Ahmad Khan Talupr, then Pakistan Defense Minister of Pakistan, while I was working as his Public Relations Officer in eighties. He used to call on Mr. Talpur at Dada Bahee colony residence. Again, I met him via courtesy of late Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti, while working as Director of Public Relations, Quetta in mid nineties. He was the most learned and a daring person. He always thought and pen down his opinions in the interest of the country.and its people. May God Almighty rest his soul in eternal peace - Amen!! G-H. Qamar Baloch from Washington DC Area, USA
ahmed
Nov 24, 2012 11:23pm
Mr. Cowasjee, you were our hero, mentor, a legend, and our national asset ! WE will miss you!!! Rest in Peace!!
Dilawer
Nov 24, 2012 11:22pm
R.I.P Cowajee. We will miss your courage and ability to the truth. You were a true GEM but people of Pakistan did not know your true value. You will always remain my hero.
Dilawer
Nov 24, 2012 11:23pm
R.I.P Cowajee. We will miss your courage and ability to tell the truth. You were a true GEM but people of Pakistan did not know your true value. You will always remain to be my hero.
Vaqar Ahmed
Nov 24, 2012 11:12pm
Another tired candle is blown out in our benighted country, Rest in peace Ardeshir Cowasjee.
Nasrullah
Nov 24, 2012 08:17pm
He wrote about the Asghar Khan petition sitting on the shelf. I wonder if the recent movement in this case gave him any comfort. His concern about the total lack of Urban planning in Karachi,s haphazard development pained him. May his soul rest in peace.
saleem shah
Nov 24, 2012 11:09pm
SAD day in concious journalism ,he was the concious of the masses fighting biggitory n crupt politics. May his soul rest in peace! Saleem Shah Madeji: DIstt,Shikarpur/Pakistan Now @ Miami,USA
S. Malik
Nov 25, 2012 04:47pm
Very sad news. He was essential in the initial development of Pakistan, especially the ports of Karachi. His patriotism and social work has left a large impact on our society, whether people choose to realize or not.
Inamullah
Nov 24, 2012 10:51pm
May his soul rest in peace. He was one of the great columnists of The Daily Dawn News.
Pabbaraju
Nov 24, 2012 10:51pm
I have been reading his columns for the last decade and will be missing them sorely.He straddled a generation from British India to present day Pakistan.HIs columns represented wisdom ,values and ethos inherent to the plurality of the subcontinent. The best tribute one can provide would be toreflect on his writings ,Would the ruling classes care???,,,May his soul RIP.
Saad
Nov 24, 2012 10:50pm
What a great loss to the nation. I'm speechless. May his soul rest in peace!!
Jehan Zeb
Nov 24, 2012 10:36pm
very sad ti hear about the demise of this illustrious son of the country
Syed rizvi
Nov 25, 2012 04:53pm
I wish to register my heartiest condolence over death of cowsji, he was a boldmananf spent his life Serving humanity. May god rest his soul in peace andpatuence to his grieving family. Karachi has lost a sincere man. We will him always.
Muzaffar Shaikh
Nov 25, 2012 07:20am
End of an era...Will there ever be someone with as much passion as he had for defending and preserving our city of Karachi....Karachi truely lost its best advocate...We will miss him and his style...
baakhlaq
Nov 25, 2012 12:32pm
This was a sad news for the readers as well as for the Dawn, so I expected an editorial note on the sad demise of Cowasjee.
Qazi Saad Siddiqui
Nov 25, 2012 07:17am
apparently no one
Yemeen Ur Rahman
Nov 24, 2012 09:11pm
Another icon of the Pakistan of days gone by passes away. May he rest in peace. Although he did not see his hopes for the country bear fruit in life, may we be able to honor his legacy by finally "turning it around...."
Hassan Jaffer - Kenya
Nov 24, 2012 09:14pm
From Africa, I read his columns with interest. His writings made me understand better what malady afflicts Pakistan today. Periodically I would write to him and he would always find time to respond. Once I suggested that he should publish collection of his columns in a book form. I wish DAWN management will now do so as a worthy tribute to this courageous soul..
Mushtaq Ahmed
Nov 26, 2012 04:56am
Indeed ! we lost a voice of sanity. Rarely we find a person of such high intellect , integrity and courage. Rest in peace , Sir.
syed n hasnain
Nov 24, 2012 09:17pm
30 yrs ago, on a deserted road in clifton, my friend' bike decided to stall. Just when we had decided that we will have to walk back to PECHS dragging that piece of junk, a Mercedes Benz stopped for us and a distinguished looking gentleman stepped out and started to laugh as it was the funniest thing he had ever seen. Two young men stranded in a posh locality with a run down apology of a locomotive. He gestured that we get into his car and had his driver help us put the bbike in the trunk of his car."I am sorry _wasnt laughing at you. I was just amused to think what would happen if you hadnt run into me.You see I know these wretched people of this neighbourhood and they wont have lifted a finger to help you." He became sad and did'nt say a word till we reached home. " Make something of your life but always look back. And there is something else. Help someone in need. You wont regret it." Then he sped away. I forgot him only to recognize his photo when he started to write for Dawn. Rest in Peace, Mr. Cowasgee, I did take your advice.
rashid zaidi, Ca. USA
Nov 24, 2012 09:07pm
He truly was a gentleman, wrote about issues that bothered him. Pakistan has been deprived of a truth writer, a generous man who gave his wealth for so many causes. May he rest in peace and his family be able to bear this immense loss.
SK
Nov 24, 2012 09:10pm
Goodbye, Son of Karachi.
Syed Arbab Ahmed
Nov 24, 2012 08:59pm
Sad news another influential person has gone, so many of such influential people have passed away recently Moin Akhtar, Mehdi Hasan, Sikandar Sanam, Liaquat Soldier......... whoever came to this world has to got back, that is the reality of this life.
Rafia Mirza
Nov 25, 2012 01:59am
Pakistan needs people like him more despareatly now than ever. May his soul rest in peace
keaga
Nov 25, 2012 05:01am
i hope this corrupt govt. doesnt give him any awards,,,he hated what they stood for, and its better they don't touch him or his memory and try to make political mileage out of it
Ahmed j
Nov 24, 2012 08:52pm
Mr Cowasjee, you will be missed but your uprightness will keep our conscience alive.
V.Balasubramanian
Nov 24, 2012 02:29pm
I had read couple of his writing thru internet and found his articles are thought provoking. He always used to express deep anguish in his columns. May his soul rest in peace.
Janan
Nov 25, 2012 05:17pm
RIP
Jamil Dehlavi
Nov 24, 2012 08:41pm
Sad to learn of his death. He was an outstanding columnist, forthright, honest and bold. He will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace.
Janan
Nov 25, 2012 05:26pm
The greatest warriors are the ones who fight for peace and Cowasjee was one of them.
imransaudi
Nov 24, 2012 08:38pm
He was One in his words and works. His pen was his gun and mouth was his sword. We lost a living hero.I salute him with tears and shock.May Allah bless him.
Zahur Malik
Nov 24, 2012 08:35pm
Sad news. Another voice of speaking/writing truth gone. not good for Pakistan. May Allah reward him for his virtue. Aameen
Zafar
Nov 24, 2012 08:30pm
Who will save out heritage and parks now? I am concerned.
muzammil ullah khan
Nov 24, 2012 08:26pm
I think he was one of the greatest Pakistanis who ever graced this earth. What a man and what a visionary . A pure heart and an upright gentleman with the highest ethical and moral standards.He really cared for this country and he was right when he said that he was tired of writing about the same politicians and same politics and they wont go away . It is a great loss of this nation . I have no words to describe his greatness. May God give him the highest place in heavens and may his soul rest in peace.
Capt Prabhat Sharma
Nov 24, 2012 08:16pm
He was my Hero. Some years ago I disagreed with him on his remarks about the risk of LNG. I am from Merchant Shipping and well conversant with LNG logistics. I wrote to him that his concerns were unfounded. We exchanged some mails on that issue. I did not know that Mr Cowasjee himself came from a Shipping family buisness. Learnt of this only today. I am from India and dream of visiting Pakistan and also wanted to meet Mr Cowasjee. May God make many more like him. May his soul rest in peace. With a heavy heart. Capt Prabhat Sharma, Geneva, Switzerland
shah
Nov 25, 2012 04:54am
He is no more with us.May his soul rest in peace. I wish he could have seen the fate of this messed up country for whome he had enormous good wishes.
Saleem Khanani
Nov 24, 2012 08:15pm
Ardasher Cowasjee
Silajit
Nov 24, 2012 08:12pm
Rest in peace, Mr. Cowasjee. Hopefully your fight will endure after your passing.
Parvez
Nov 24, 2012 08:11pm
It will be very hard to fill his shoes...............if not impossible.
Derek
Nov 24, 2012 08:10pm
A great loss to that country, as he was one of the few sane minds to have lived there in the last 30 years (I am not sure if there was any before that). I have been reading his columns for a long time and they have been great. Except for a short period during the initial years of Musharaff, when Cowasjee even thought it was right for the coup to save the country from Shariff/Bhutto and their ilk, he has been seldom wrong. Very few Pakistani columnists have been as consistent and farsighted as Cowasjee. The standards he has set, will be difficult to surpass. He did respond to the comments on his columns and did agree with the contradictory views of mine to that of his. Only from a real great human being can do that. Hope there are people who would continue and even better his legacy, so that the citizens of that unfortunate Islamic republic will be better human beings.
Syed Nazim
Nov 24, 2012 07:55pm
Although frustrated by misdeeds of government, was never tired to bring to the notice of civil society crimnal cases of destruction of public amenities in Pakistan particularly Karachi.Very bold and outspoken. His loss is unbearable. May God rest his soul in peace.
obaid
Nov 26, 2012 05:23am
Mr. Cowasjee was a great fighter for the cause of justice and peace in Pakistan, especially in Karachi. His columns were blunt, factual and hard hitting. Pakistan will really miss him.
Raju
Nov 24, 2012 07:37pm
I think Dawn must do it and it can also raise money for His Charitable foudation!!!
Sadiqa Hafeez
Nov 24, 2012 07:07pm
Dear Cowajee, rest in peace. You were a sane voice in a sea of madness. Your death challenges all of us to carry your flag and message forward. Wonder who the next brave, sane and hopefully not the lonesome voice would be. -Sadiqa
Yakub Ehsan
Nov 25, 2012 05:48pm
Well said!
Azeez
Nov 24, 2012 06:48pm
Do not despair. May be one day things might get better in both the countries. Only if there were politicians as patriotic and far-sighted as he was. His demise is a huge blow to journalism. May his soul rest in peace.
Cozynook
Nov 24, 2012 06:33pm
I have been reading dawn from 2001 and from then on an avid follower of Mr. Cowasjee's columns. Apart from being a forthright and humorous columnist who wrote on the many ills afflicting Pakistan tdy, he was a fantastic human being. His columns were always a breath of fresh air especially when most of the other news were about death, mayhem, official apathy and corruption. Dear Pakistani Brothers and sisters, tdy another torch bearer of ur great country's legacy has departed. I am sure Dawn has his entire collection of columns from the time he started writing, I suggest you piece it together and read evrything over and over again, where he laid stress on education, environment, respect and compassion towards other human beings, and most important of all imbibe the values which are most essential to be a responsible law abiding citizen to contribute positively for ur country's growth. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. I will forever miss his columns and cherish those short -sweet responses to my mails. May he rest in eternal peace.
Javed
Nov 24, 2012 06:28pm
A sad day for Pakistan, we are losing intellectuals like him one by one and not replacing with the new ones. A Pakistani with a true spirit, hope people learn from his writing.
darr
Nov 24, 2012 06:28pm
cowasjee one and lonely , Rest in peace.
Fais
Nov 24, 2012 06:28pm
I m very very sad..., may you become the part of the wind that runs over the meadow, or on the warm beaches, or the high mountains.... P.S. I will always keep your email exchanges that once you and I did.
maheen
Nov 24, 2012 06:23pm
RIP :(
jedie
Nov 24, 2012 06:23pm
Very sad day. He was my favorite columnist and I used to read his columns in Dawn newspaper.
zak
Nov 25, 2012 05:48am
RIP dear Ardeshir. I wish more brave people like you (as did our Malala) sprout up and wake up this brain-washed nation. You were a breath of fresh air in this much needed hour of the countrys plunge.
nooruddin
Nov 24, 2012 06:14pm
Very sad news, may his soul rest in peace. Hope people will take some notice of his writing what he meant by "SAME OLD POLITICS AND SAME OLD FACE"
Amadeus
Nov 25, 2012 05:59pm
Very good comment, Ardsher Cowasjee was a great man who looked beyond the religious beliefs. In his writings one could feel a person constantly consumed by seeing the plight of a nation on a downward spiral. His desperation/ exasperation almost matched that of Robert Fisk and middle east. Rest in peace Cowasjee and may we see more people like you in Pakistan.
ram
Nov 24, 2012 06:10pm
Cowasji....Edhi and few silent ones ...Gems of dying city
salman
Nov 24, 2012 06:10pm
My heart is feeling heavy. He was not mere a columnist, he was an institute, a true Pakistani. Hard to find people like him in these days.
sudhir
Nov 24, 2012 06:08pm
I am 42 years old and I live in Delhi. I am an avid newpaper reader and yet have never stopped to pen down my thoughts around opinions/views on any article. I have read Dawn for around 15 years now and today as I read this news tonight at 11 pm I thought I would, for whatever my words are worth, record my appreciation and my regard for the very fine columnist who gave new and interesting perspectives to my world view. I looked forward to reading his columns and what invariably shone through was the strong humanity of this man and his love and concern for his country. You led a meaningful, impactful life, Sir and may you find peace on the other side.
khizir farooqi
Nov 24, 2012 06:07pm
We lost an out spoken columnist pointing out all the time rights & wrongs without fear and favour. to any body. He must be remembered by his friends and foes alike because of his impartiality. & honesty.
Khawar Khawaja
Nov 24, 2012 01:38pm
Whenever I got a chance, I did indeed read his columns. He rightfully pointed at the issues and was indeed loved and respected by all. May God bless him
keaga
Nov 25, 2012 04:55am
Amen!
Hafsa Sheikh
Nov 25, 2012 05:16am
May the brave soul rest in peace <3
Mr.T
Nov 25, 2012 05:18am
WE are one of those people who never listen or follows the good person when they are alive, and when they die they make tomb / mazar on their grave and the business starts. All the good people who still there (not much) but who ever we think is good enough try to be with them, go to them, help them out, talk with them may be you think they do not want but might be helpful, before they also die and again we are appreciating them by comments or news.
Rabia
Nov 25, 2012 04:49am
a full and interesting life, a humanitarian, and a good writer. what a person. rest in peace, Mr Cowasjee
Waseem
Nov 24, 2012 05:59pm
An Awesome man has left us. I am sad, very very sad. May his soul rest in peace.
Arju
Nov 25, 2012 04:47am
Every week i had a ritual to read his columns. Thorough, extremely well researched and well, hard hitting. May his soul rest in eternal peace.
Fahimuddin Pasha
Nov 24, 2012 05:57pm
Rest in peace Mr. Cowasjee. One of the greatest among men, the real Pakistani who feared none as no one had the courage or the moral capability to stand up to him as he was always with the truth. He would always be up in arms against the corrupt, whoever he may. I used to send him emails on any subject and he would reply without fail although we had never met, encouraging me to write to the editor. I believe he must have done he same with others too. Pakistan will miss him.
jawed
Nov 24, 2012 05:57pm
Sad news. I wish someone may compile his columns in a book form for the benefit of his fans.
keaga
Nov 25, 2012 04:44am
superb idea
syed baqar ahsan
Nov 25, 2012 04:42am
A great writer with forceful expression of truth.I wish all writer,anchorperson,analysts express truth for our society on path of reality and cohesion rather on disintegration
himidik
Nov 24, 2012 05:54pm
THANKS ,DAWN, DISPLAYING MY COMMENTS ABOUT MR. COWASJEE - WRITINGS TO HIM AND REPLIES THEREOF WAS GREAT LESSON, TO ME.
Adil Jadoon
Nov 25, 2012 01:23pm
May he rest in peace. Let us change our ways collectively to make Pakistan what it should be, for our own survival.
Imran
Nov 24, 2012 09:56pm
A sagacious and honest man objecting to all the insanity around him through his writings. It takes a lot of courage to speak up against the madness - given the degree to which it has permeated our society. He must have felt quite lonely at times fighting this lost cause. May his soul rest in peace. He can rest assured that there are still a few Pakistanis, who inspired by his writings, will solider on in the struggle for social justice, rights of minorities and rule of law. His presence will surely be missed.
MAH, Abu Dhabi
Nov 24, 2012 01:34pm
Loss of a brave and sincere Pakistani, a rare breed these days:(
Doorie
Nov 24, 2012 05:52pm
Hey may be no more but his article will remain with us FOREVER !!! Thank you Sir...
Qazi Saad Siddiqui
Nov 25, 2012 06:03am
Since my school age, I have been reading this great man's columns. I once met him during my graduation dinner party at NED university. His demise is a great lose to the whole nation. He was a real patriot. I feel real pain while thinking no more cowasjee. People like him are born in centuries. May his soul rest in peace and wish generation follows him.
irfan husain
Nov 25, 2012 06:05am
Karachi has lost its staunchest defender, and Pakistan has lost a fierce critic of the corrupt and the bogus. Rest in peace, old friend.
M R Khawaja
Nov 25, 2012 05:11pm
May God Bless his soul knowing his views from interviews on TV seems like honest man and that breed is dying now that is tell the truth weather some body likes it or not. Now a days you see the so called leaders Politicians Media men specificaly having shouting match on TV and these people are usualy vary Ecnomical with the truth or to put it simply they lie all the time with no shame most of them call themselves Doctors. Not Mr Cowesjee seen him speaking gently vary softly and what he say you know he is telling the truth not these days Journalist you can tell they are lying. If there are any more like him surly do not see them any more.
Viraf
Nov 26, 2012 04:54pm
This great man of Pakistan is a Parsi and in keeping with Ahura Mazda's teaching helped his fellow man and always spoke the truth. I hope the right wing elements of Pakistan realise that it was a none-Muslim who did so much to help the people of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
Ali Raza Khimji Gowa
Nov 25, 2012 03:55pm
GREAT LOSS...
AFZAL 'INQILABI'.
Nov 26, 2012 08:46am
Respected Syed Rizvi Saheb - A.S.O.A.K. - I think you have erred in stating 'heartiest' instead of 'heartfelt' condolence. The word 'heartiest' is used when its a "joyous occasion" while the word 'heartfelt' is used when we offer a condolence over some tragic event. I hope you will not feel offended over this correction...Afzal Merchant .
Capt C M Khan
Nov 24, 2012 01:20pm
A true Pakistani....we are proud of him. Honest to the bone, interest of Pakistan was always FIRST in his life...Will be Missed....RIP
Savail Hussain
Nov 24, 2012 01:19pm
rip and god bless his soul.
Naseem Akhtar
Nov 24, 2012 01:20pm
R.I.P. A very bold person.
Basit
Nov 26, 2012 04:15pm
R.I.P, Mr. Cowasjee. You're the one who inspired me to read Quaid-i-Azam speeches. -Basit
himidik
Nov 24, 2012 01:34pm
I was lucky to have had an exchange of views with that great man. His views were worth reading, clan and full of knowledge. He used simple sentences and correct English. He was always prompt in his responses. We have lost a great intellectual, writer, thinker and above all a great Pakistani.God bless his soul in peace.
ahmad butt
Nov 24, 2012 02:35pm
A genuine true Pakistani has passed away, the timeline of his legacy and patience with the Pakistani establishment is proof of it. He lived in Pakistan during all the turmoil over the decades, and i hope the government honors him( i wondered why he never left for abroad). Even if it doesnt, i know that he was a patriotic Pakistani, much more than our average Pakistani. I was an avid reader of his columns and understood what democracy, human rights, and love for the country more than reading the average school class of history, geography and islamiat. I hope his family copes well with this grief, and Pakistan is blessed with people whose soul reflects like that of Cowasjee in the near future.
hitesh
Nov 25, 2012 05:51am
One more pillar of Jinnah's Pakistan has fallen. Is there anybody to replace it ?
DharmendraGoel
Nov 25, 2012 10:44am
yes passing away ofthis Doyen Cowasjee Arshedir ofkarachi andDawn is great sad happening to hismany readers, acrosstheglobe. he was outspoken and never minced his words. he had the gift of saying without rancour his outrages against men of power and no principles. Dawn, his Newspaper certainly would lose a beat ,hence onwards. Our sincere tributes to a liberal humanist from across the Division line. D. Goel
Imran Ahsan Mirza
Nov 24, 2012 01:43pm
He the living conscience of Pakistan. Lets hope the conscience stays alive. God bless his soul. Amin
Sidra Reyasat
Nov 24, 2012 01:44pm
RIP!
P. Patel
Nov 25, 2012 02:23pm
Truley sad news for Pakistan. I'm an Indian emigrated to US at the age of 10 years and now been in US for last 35 years. I came across Dawn website after 9/11. And to be honest, only thing sane on this website was Mr. Cowasjee's column. Everything else on this website was and is comical - and that's a sad commentary on country's political machine. I've learned so much about Pakistan and India from his wrting. Here's and idea - collect all his writings and make it a mandatory reading for Pakistani's youth. I have no idea what textbooks are being used in Paksitan but I bet you his writing will outshine anything that's bweing used in Pakistan today. And to learn from his wisdom, his writing may also be used in India, especially his wiritngs where he highlights the harmony of diverse cultures found in Indian sub-continent. One last thing - he wrote numerous columns on Taliban, al-Queda and events related to 9/11, all Pakistanis should read it and learn from it. My fear is that you've lost a sanest mind in your country and do not have anyone to replace his level of thinking. RIP.
Tariq Hayat Lashari
Nov 25, 2012 03:06pm
We've lost a great human being.... He saw the creation and destruction of his dear homeland...He never wanted this Pakistan in this position as we have today..
nevermind
Nov 24, 2012 01:36pm
The passing of an icon. What a man! The country is the poorer by his loss. I mourn him.
baakhlaq
Nov 24, 2012 01:38pm
He was an iconoclast who wanted to see reforms in every section of the society, his columns reminded of the true vision of the Quaid-e-Azam,he remained an outspoken critic of various mafias, he would be remembered for his indomitable courage.May his soul rest in peace.
Rabia Shoaib
Nov 24, 2012 01:35pm
Mr. Cowasjee with you gone, we are one down in the rare number of true getlemen and ladies with integrity. Rest in Peace and thank you for the difference you made by being among us. Thanks to Almighty for bestowing us with your presence.
Imran Iqbal
Nov 24, 2012 01:39pm
This is a big loss for the citizens of Karachi and Pakistan. A very honest and outspoken Pakistani. May his soul rest in peace.
V. C. Bhutani
Nov 24, 2012 01:31pm
I missed his articles after he retired. I used to read his articles with the greatest interest and respect. He was a man of extraordinary integrity.
Arslan Ahmad
Nov 24, 2012 01:28pm
Tue Pakistani.. who helped the journalism in Pakistan
Niaz Arijo
Nov 24, 2012 01:30pm
Indeed he was great, honest and brave man. We miss him a lot. May his soul rest in peace.
Jeff
Nov 25, 2012 09:12am
Very saddened by the new of passing away of the great journalist Mr. Cowasjee. I have followed his column for twenty odd years and always looked forward to reading his next one. Rest in Peace, after a lifelong service to the nation he loved.
Hajat Ullah Baig
Nov 26, 2012 08:40am
we mourn of his death and he was true pakistani and human being. I was inspired by his true speaking and writing. he was brave to write agaist all wrong doings what he feels or realize day by day....And i know he was not muslim by faith and worked on way to God... May Allah rest his soul in eternal peace
Sardar Shahid
Nov 24, 2012 02:29pm
he was most erudite and prolific pakistani writer of this era.
Samreen
Nov 24, 2012 02:29pm
I would request Dawn to arrange a public event where Karachites can come and pay their respect to this great man who upheld the torch and lit fire of social conscience, justice, peace and tolerance in us.
Ashraf Bugti
Nov 25, 2012 10:58pm
This is saddest day for Pakistan. May Allah protect his soul.Ameen
Qasim
Nov 25, 2012 05:49am
A true patriot who despite repercussion kept on showing the mirror to the mighties. Invaluable loss to Pakistan; RIP Mr. Cowasjee.
Javed
Nov 24, 2012 02:32pm
True Karachite and a great Pakistani. ....May his soul rest in peace !! His articles and writings need to be compiled into a book to preserve his legacy.
Adnan Khan
Nov 24, 2012 05:04pm
Rest in peace Mr. Cowasjee. We who an unpayable debt to you promise to respect your memory by continuting to fight the good fight and by trying to bring truth to light. Thank you for your light. It was bright, it was probing and illuminated more lives than most of us can count.
Raisa
Nov 26, 2012 02:29pm
Rest in Peace, Mr. Cowasjee. I will not soon forget how gracious you were to allow me into your home and to meet your beloved animals. Nor the time we spent together together discussing not only the subject matter for my film, but life in general. Our meeting changed me irrevocably, and I am still trying to unearth the messages behind the riddles you spoke in. Your words live on. My sincerest condolences, kind sir.
Qamber Ali
Nov 24, 2012 02:26pm
had been following his columns, good and bold articles, had played a long and full inning in life, may he rest in peace
Sohrab
Nov 24, 2012 01:18pm
A loss to the all of us. A tireless champion trying to decipher the chaos of what is called the Islamic Republic. A sane voice for the downtrodden and for the children of a lesser God. A true Parsi and a patriot of Pakistan. May God bless his soul.
Dr. Emile Unjom
Nov 24, 2012 02:26pm
Pakistan is further orphaned by passing away of an honest journalist many of us learned to love. His passionate writings, patriotic, humanistic and humbling life style reveals his magnetism and charisma. While we learn lessons from his life,may God eternally bless him.
Akhtar Aghga
Nov 25, 2012 10:00pm
I had always read his columns with interest. Though never had a chance to meet him, but had known Mr. Cowasjee since 1980's when he was member of NED's Senate committee. May almighty rest his soul in peace. A. Agha
Iftikhar Gul
Nov 24, 2012 01:19pm
I am very sad to hear this... He was a great columnist and brave man. May you live in peace Cowasjee!!
Riaz Khan
Nov 24, 2012 01:19pm
I salute Mr. Cowasjee! Brave, honest, straight forward and yet humane. They do not make people like him any more especially in Pakistan.
philip utarid
Nov 24, 2012 03:40pm
Another icon of wisdom, a great intellectual giant passed away in history. A heavy blow to the alumini if there is any left now. A fond farewell by his well wisher.
M K Jha
Nov 24, 2012 03:40pm
Sad that Pakistan and the world community has lost a true humanist who worked hard with his pen to pull Pakistan out of the current mess. RIP, and hope your mission is taken forward by other Pakistanis.
Adi Viccaji
Nov 24, 2012 02:43pm
REST IN PEACE ARDESHIR. YOU HAVE DONE YOUR BIT ADMIRABLY AND COURAGEOUSLY.
Virendra
Nov 24, 2012 05:12pm
God Speed Sir!!
M.Bugi
Nov 24, 2012 05:14pm
MSS
Nov 24, 2012 05:24pm
One of the few real jems that Pakistan had is gone. The nation is poorer today than yesterday. His pearls of wisdom made many of readers feel that he belonged to all of them. I wished he lived to the age of 100 to encourage Pakistan out of trouble. Very courageous and honest in his views, he was a great man. Sir you will be sadly missed.
Indusonian
Dec 01, 2012 04:55pm
Very sad day for Pakistan, Pakistan has lost another son and a great voice. May Allah give courage and patience to his family, we all are mourning with them.
Azfar
Nov 24, 2012 03:38pm
Sad. One of the true intellects and one of the few sane voices has left us. May his soul rest in peace.
m h kayani
Nov 25, 2012 06:44pm
He was the absolute huge and extremely honest Journalist, his writing was Ist class and in fact always based on factual background. I have known him for the last 12 years, he was true and sincere patriot Pakistani very true humanist. A fearless journalist who actually wrote with sincerity, May his rest in peace. Cowasjee you will in heart many, may learnt the act of writing from you.
Khalid Pathan
Nov 24, 2012 01:26pm
The death of cowasjee is end of an era. He was fearless, straight forward and very honest in his articles. He was a true citizen of Karachi, who always raised his voice against all sorts of mafia that have ruined this beautiful city. Replacement of Cowasjee is just not possible.
Arvind
Nov 24, 2012 05:39pm
K. M. Ali
Nov 25, 2012 05:30am
Wonderful and brave writer- Ardeshir, we will miss you and your columns. You brought reality to our attention and made the powerful face the truth. May you rest in heavenly peace!
adnan kharal
Nov 24, 2012 05:35pm
The man who thought and exercise for fellow beings which is the quality of a true human being .May Allah rest his soul in peace.
Imran Ahmed (@IAgnikul)
Nov 24, 2012 03:27pm
A life well lived. You will be missed with respect and affection. Rest in peace brave and kind old lion.
Syed Adil Ahmed
Nov 24, 2012 03:26pm
My hero! Rest in eternal peace...
Saeeda Wali Mohammed
Nov 24, 2012 05:07pm
"When will there be justice in Athens? There will be justice in Athens, when the uninjured are as outraged as the injured." Mr Cowasjee exemplified this spirit in journalism. He was truthful man who very accurately read the farcical absurdity of what passed for political administration. He also exemplified an incredible spirit of stewardship, which for the record, once pervaded Pakistan. The old world of Bleak House Road, Bath Island and indeed all of Pakistan will miss this truth teller. "Rest in peace, Sweet Prince. May angels take thee to thy rest."
Iftikhar Husain
Nov 26, 2012 12:11pm
It is a great loss to the country he was a real Pakistani.We will miss his great writing in the true sense.
Bobby Srinivas
Nov 25, 2012 04:30am
Very sad news indeed! Have been a great admirer of Cowasjee Ardeshir for his bold forthright views. And kudos to Dawn newspaper for publishing 'without fear or favor!
skeptic
Nov 24, 2012 02:41pm
a really sad news.one of the last few who was fear less and called spade a spade without a mince of words. may God give him peace and bless his soul. a true Pakistani. we will miss you Sir
Hanif Qureshi
Nov 25, 2012 07:57am
The Parsi community has contributed a lot to education and other areas in Pakistan. We salute late Mr. Cowasjee for his contribution and dedication to our nation. We will run out of superlatives to describe his personality; he was such a great man and we will all miss him. Thanks Cowasjee.
PakiDada
Nov 24, 2012 05:34pm
May you rest in peace - thank you for your selfless service to Pakistan and mankind!
RV
Nov 24, 2012 05:33pm
you fought the good fight through your columns...rest in peace Ardeshir
Shyam malick
Nov 24, 2012 03:47pm
I remember him personally answering all my emails, over the years; I feel it is a personal loss! Indian sub-continent has lost a figure who could tell history in first person. He shared a dream of a 'particular'Pakistan with Mr. M.A. Jinnah, a dream that was high-jacked by the extreme right to his disappointment and disillusionment.
Majaz Amin
Nov 24, 2012 01:21pm
I used to read his columns for many many years. When he stopped writing his weekly columns in DAWN, like many other people, I also sent an email to him requesting to consider his decision. To my utmost surprise he replied me back stating his health not allowing him to do so. I never met him, but through his writings I know he was a gentleman. Today, we lost a true Pakistani.
Mansoor
Nov 24, 2012 03:47pm
I was sad when he decided to stop writing and today that sadness has gone to another level. Thank you Mr. Cowasjee for giving us guidance. May you soul rest in peace.
Zayan Schurahbeel
Nov 24, 2012 03:47pm
He truly was Voice of the Nation . . . rest in peace Mr. Cowasjee.
Unnikrishnan
Nov 24, 2012 05:08pm
His columns alongwith those os Ayaz Amir and Mazdak attracted me towards "DAWN". May his soul rest in peace.
satyaprabhu
Nov 24, 2012 01:23pm
i always loved him, his analysis, his comments, his out look and his sincere thought process without fear and bias, actually he is the one who attaracted me to the dawn news paper.May Allah bless his soul with eternal peace, Ameen!, my heart felt condolences to his entire family
Engr Muhammad Aslam Tanoli
Nov 24, 2012 05:27pm
I was a regular reader of his columns.He was an honest and powerful voice. My condolences to Rustom(his son in usa).
Jeeves
Nov 26, 2012 11:21am
Rest in peace Sir....You will continue to inspire us down here...
Bilal
Nov 26, 2012 08:18am
Clearly he died a broken hearted man, it's sad he had to experience the times we are living in now.
Ali Shah
Nov 24, 2012 01:26pm
What a man. His departure marks the end of an era. You will be missed.
satyaprabhu
Nov 24, 2012 01:26pm
i always liked him, his analysis, his comments, his out look and his sincere thought process without fear and bias, actually he is the one who attaracted me to the dawn news paper.May Allah bless his soul with eternal peace, Ameen!, my heart felt condolences to his entire family 0 0
baakhlaq
Nov 24, 2012 01:26pm
He was an iconoclast who wanted to see reforms in every section of the society, his columns reminded the readers of the true vision of the Quaid-e-Azam.He was an outspoken with an effortless ease He would be remembered for his indomitable courage.
taranveer Singh kafir
Nov 24, 2012 01:25pm
very sad to know :( he was a one of the greatest writers in pakistan like NFP.
mubashar mahmood
Nov 24, 2012 03:22pm
it is deeply heartrending to know that we have lost a topnotch writer.no body can fill the chasm which he left in the field of journalism.i pay my deep condolences to the bereaved family. may his soul rest in peace.
Qamer
Nov 25, 2012 05:38am
Need more people like him in Pakistan.
Abdel Rahim Chundrigar
Nov 24, 2012 03:47pm
AH.what a gentleman,he was gem of the mankind,we all miss him,it is a targic day,we needed him most in this time of crisis, May Lord bless him , Sahib ji my hero cowasjee, We miss you, Rahim Chundrigar.
SAEED MASOOD
Nov 24, 2012 05:26pm
A PAKISTANI HAS DIED
Mian
Nov 24, 2012 05:27pm
We are proud that, this nation had Aridsher Cowasjee!
Tausif
Nov 24, 2012 01:24pm
Gone is yet another brighter face of Pakistan, another sane voice. I used to enjoy his columns in DAWN. I found him very sad at the assassination of Baloch nationalist leader, Bugti, by Gen. Musharraf. But, I can only pray that his predictions (often well-calculated and foresighted) about the future (or lack of it) of Karachi do not come true. Otherwise,....I fear this very newspaper will be based out at a new country with a new name as it did in the time of partition. His departure is a greater loss to DAWN as well. Well done...both DAWN and Cowasjee...
Facebook
Nov 24, 2012 01:47pm
AC was a Great Asset to Pakistani Media! Please Join his Only Official Facebook Page Here! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ardeshir-Cowasjee/215990318535079
Aslam Pervaiz Abro
Nov 24, 2012 01:47pm
This great man finally returned to his eternal abode. He was an extremely brave man and had great concern for the city of Karachi and the country at large. I remember his petition in the Hight Court Sindh against the conversion of Jahangir Park into Car Parking, conceived by CDGK. May he soul rest in peace.
zulfiqar khaki
Nov 24, 2012 03:43pm
Mr Cowasjee was one of the hero of journalism in Pakistan
shakrullah
Nov 24, 2012 01:48pm
He stood for truth in times when truth was equated with blasphemy , and was a beacon of light when forces of darkness prevailed . May his soul rest in peace .
Farooq Asif
Nov 24, 2012 01:48pm
Its really very sad to read sad demise of a great, fearless, impartial journalist. I was missing his absence from the weekend column but I read some months ago when he told that why he will not start writing again. He said 'how much he will write where eyes can't see, deaf ears, non responsive government agencies. I am tired now enough is enough. Definately he worked a lot for education cause, may Allah give him reward for the work he has done for noble causes.
Anees
Nov 25, 2012 05:46am
It was good fight Mr. Cowasjee. It was a fight for Pakistan's integrity and honour. It was a fight for the truth. It was a fight for this land of the Pure. You lost Mr. Cowasjee. The corrupt have won, atleast this round. But you have won the hearts and minds of millions who shall cherish your memories and take up your fight. I shall mourn you going away to a better place to be among those loved by the Divine. Of this I have not the slightest doubt. Goodbye Mr.Cowasjee. And God Bless
Muhammad Farooq, ON, Canada
Nov 24, 2012 01:50pm
Cowasjee Sahib's departure is an Irreparable loss to journalism in Pakistan and to those who uphold liberal political values. He always called a spade a spade fearlessly. Always tried to fix the errors in the system. Always wanted Pakistan to be in he way of Muhammad Ali Jinnah's vision. Was always kind enough to reply to my emails and expressed his candid opinion about the various issues facing the country. Sometimes i even dumped my frustration on him but he listened to me without getting upset. He had great sense of humor. He was very keen that famous Asghar Khan case pending in the court is decided. He expressed this desire in his columns several times and even appealed to the Hon'ble CJ. for expediting the case. The case has been decided in his life time and hope it reaches its logical conclusion. May God his soul rest in peace and grant friends and family courage and fortitude to bear this loss.
Adnan Khan
Nov 24, 2012 07:28pm
My thoughts and prayer go with the family. Surely Mr. Cowasjee was and will remain an icon of journalistic excellence. Rest in peace Mr. Cowasjee, you did serve our country well!!
Aamir
Nov 24, 2012 01:52pm
May his soul rest in peace, (Amen).
Mahmood Minhas
Nov 24, 2012 01:54pm
I was reading the news regarding his ilness but at the end shocked to read his death. He was a great and thoughtfull coloumnst in our country. May God rest his soul with peace in heaven.
Khalid
Nov 25, 2012 07:01pm
This was the saddest day for me in a very long time. Pakistan especially Karachi lost its BEST citizen. Mr. Cowasjee was my teacher and HERO. May you live forever in our hearts and minds. My prayers will always be with and for him.
saleem tahir m.d.
Nov 24, 2012 01:55pm
A true and great Pakistani.May his soul rest in peace. A great loss .
Naresh
Nov 24, 2012 01:56pm
May his soul rest in peace.. Another great loss to Pakistan
Bilal
Nov 24, 2012 01:56pm
pakistan will miss people like you. RIP
zulfiqar
Nov 25, 2012 08:13am
once i read his last article i never knew he is going to leave us this way... i read him first in 1996 tat too in an urdu newspaper... a translated article...since than i never missed his writings....we ll really miss him..i think he was one of my strongest bonds with don...lets see whether i continues with dawn or not without this great man...may Almighty rest his soul in peace
Ishu
Nov 24, 2012 01:58pm
RIP Ardeshir Cowasjee. The world has lost a sincere, impartial journalist in him. Cowasjee was the reason I started reading Dawn. His views made lots of sense, pointing out historical facts, the current state of affairs and lessons to be learned. He wrote for the betterment of society. A very good man. Will miss him.
Obaid Qureshi
Nov 24, 2012 01:59pm
A pillar of Pakistan is gone leaving behind lots of memories and funds for the poor. God bless you Mr.Cowasjee. You set up a pathway that is hard to follow by the current generation but as the saying goes: people like you are born ahead of time and are admired by forthcoming generations.
Vinod
Nov 24, 2012 04:04pm
Until liberal messages reach the masses,Pakistan cannot change for the better.My hope only rests on Dawn TV which is broadcasting liberal views all across Pakistan.I feel Dawn news can change Pakistan.
Arif Mirza
Nov 25, 2012 06:31pm
Subject: Adios Pakistan Cowasjee arfc@cyber.net.pk 2/16/09 to me Dear Mr Mirza, Hijack the Drone and Go go go Go gO Goooooooooo GOGOGOGO !!!! Vamoos. Best Ardeshir Cowasjee ***************************************************************************************************************** Mr. Cowasjee's hilarious response to my question, regarding moving to Pakistan, while on vacation in 2009, from my job in Minneapolis, MN. REST IN PEACE, Cowasjee and thank you again for your advice. I am glad, I heeded to your advice and did not quit my job in the US to move to Pakistan.
Ahmedi
Nov 24, 2012 03:37pm
They embraced us when we had nothing, taught us when we were illiterate, in return we stole and destroyed what was once their haven, and now they are gone.
observer
Nov 24, 2012 03:42pm
Sad news. RIP AC.
Suren Krishnan
Nov 24, 2012 01:59pm
What a great loss to the journalistic community of South Asia. Ardeshir enlightened many readers and tirelessly championed human rights for his countrymen and woman. May he rest in Peace. I will miss him dearly
Observer
Nov 24, 2012 04:08pm
Pakistan has become still weaker today, unless some one takes his place. Dawn has also become weaker, unless you fill the gap which he has created. You can only find few gems like him, that too in Pakistan it is very rare.
nazar bhatti
Nov 24, 2012 04:03pm
A true Pakistani who died without seeing Pakistan void of peace and tolerance
Hassan
Nov 24, 2012 02:52pm
Great man, great loss!
Nafisa
Nov 24, 2012 02:01pm
May his soul rest in peace.
Rashid
Nov 24, 2012 02:01pm
You had a good run in this life Cowasjee, hope u will enjoy eternity with same peace and passion too.
Cobrajock
Nov 24, 2012 02:01pm
Deeply grieved to hear this news. A national Loss. RIP Mr. Cowasjee.
Salman Ansari
Nov 24, 2012 02:02pm
One of the most fearless and honest to goodness people that I have met in my life. It was a miracle that in a city where the land mafia thrives and everyone is fair game, people tolerated his views. I have seen him in his outbursts with top MQM, PPP and other people, but they, out of respect let him say whatever he wanted to.
kamakazi
Nov 24, 2012 02:02pm
You were a true Karachiite and a genuine well wisher of this country, RIP Cowasjee Sahib.
virani
Nov 24, 2012 05:45pm
truely said he got tired with pakistani politicians and finally gone away....good people can only talked and criticise but todays world unhealthy people have more power as every body wants short cut to make their living comfortable and more.................God bless him for his good efforts and causes he did for Pakistan....God help Pakistan and help each and every citizens of Pakistan
Shehzad Mohsin
Nov 24, 2012 04:03pm
Hard to find people like him in this country. Rest in peace Mr Cawasjee
feroz alam
Nov 24, 2012 07:23pm
yes a fine human being, open minded, lberal and a true humanatarian. pakistan was concieved and created by people like him and was steered to great prosperity till mid sixties when all these religious zealots hijacked it with saudi arabias money. fereoz
Tariq K Sami
Nov 24, 2012 04:02pm
The end of an era. Cowasgee shaheb was a story teller.
Nazim Haji
Nov 25, 2012 06:45pm
Ardeshir R.I.P.. NFH
K.Afghan
Nov 24, 2012 03:36pm
It is very sad to hear the news of this great columnist Mr.Ardeshir Cowasjee's passing away. Although I had not read all his columns because I came to know about him very recently but it will be true to say that he was a superb write and philanthropist and had great love for his ancestral city of Karachi for which he did a great deal within his capacity. He had political differences with Mr.Zulfikar Ali Bhutto during the last few years of Mr.Mr. Bhutto's government but I gather in earlier days of their lives they were great admirers of each other.
Qaiser Bakhtiari
Nov 24, 2012 02:10pm
Karachi's grand old man has passed away. May he rest in peace. His loss to this city is irrecoverable.
Hasnain
Nov 24, 2012 02:11pm
One of the best columnist that were there in PK
Ibrahim
Nov 24, 2012 02:12pm
Mr Cowasjee was an institution. He will be sorely missed. It is a sad day for Pakistan, having lost one of its genuine well wisher's. My hope and prayer is that younger Pakistanis, take on the initiatives that he started. We need many Cowasjees, to lead and initiate social reform, in a beautiful country inhabited by simple, hospitable people, A nation that has now gone to the dogs, due to the actions of a few unscrupulous individuals.
ajmal khan
Nov 24, 2012 05:20pm
Great Journalist and a true Pakistani RIP.
Mubashar A. Nasir
Nov 24, 2012 02:12pm
A great loss to humanity and Pakistan. A very brave man who always stood for the rights of oppressed humans, especially, the poor Pakistanis. May his soul rest in peace. May Allah Taala grant patience and steadfastness to his family to bear this irreparable loss. Amin.
Total man
Nov 24, 2012 04:48pm
Now, old at 85, tired, and disillusioned with a country that just cannot pull itself together in any way , the right words came out of a experienced columnist. My respect for you all the times Mr.Cowasjee.
adam memon
Nov 24, 2012 04:50pm
God bless him and rest his soul in peace.INA LILAHI WA INA ELAHI RAAGIOON.
Tariq Mahmood
Nov 24, 2012 03:30pm
This is really a sad news. May God rest his soul in peace. He was a too true and steadfast person to this Hippocratic society.
N.P.
Nov 24, 2012 03:31pm
Thank you for all your services to the people of Pakistan. You are an Icon. May Allah bless your Soul. Rest in Peace Cowasjee. It's a sad day for me today.
Patriot Pakistani
Nov 24, 2012 02:17pm
Sad loss for the country at large and Sindh in particular.He was one of the last remnants of people who has seen the beautiful life of Karachi-peaceful, tolerant and cohesive without the present prejudice and facionalism which is intent on killing and maiming Karachi to submission and eventual destruction of this most important city for Sindh and Pakistan. He did not bow to any Dictator or Autocrat including Z A Bhutto who put him in prison for his bravery to say no to his demands. Today our country is bereft of sanity and reason. He will be remembered for his social campaigns for saving parks of Karachi including Gutter Baghicha from land mafia. He challenged the country to return to the principles for which it was created by another son of Sindh Mohammed Ali Jinnah. Pakistan has lost most eloquent fighter for the rights of ordinary citizens who endured wrath of establishment and its created parties. May God rest him in Peace.
S.H. Zaidi
Nov 24, 2012 03:33pm
Cowasjee summed up the sentiments of countless conscientious Pakistanis when he explained his reasons for writing his column: "I don
Wasif Kazmi
Nov 24, 2012 03:11pm
Heartfelt condolences to the Cowasjee family, and to all who loved and benefited from the wisdom of this great person. He was a legend and a torch bearer of truth and courage for many of us. He will be greatly missed. I cherish the memory of meeting him in person and the lasting impact it had on my life. May his legacy of truth, courage and wisdom continues and may we see more people rise above their personal lives to benefit the societies they live in. Amen
Aashutosh Jha
Nov 24, 2012 03:11pm
Great Man, May god give him peace and provide his family courage to overcome from his loss
Zahir Kazmi
Nov 24, 2012 03:09pm
I drew lot of inspiration from Cowasjee and will miss him. His value lied in saying what needed to be said--no matter how distasteful. I once asked him that I wanted my son to grow up to be as good a writer as he was. His short response is a lesson worth emulating, "Ask him to read, read and read..." We must mourn his death because such good men are becoming a rarity.
Waqar Hussain Shaikh
Nov 24, 2012 03:55pm
Undeterred and unintimidated, Ardeshir was a true son of karachi...Its parks and playgrounds, animals and birds will miss him..
Seeker
Nov 24, 2012 03:57pm
In Pakistan liberals are very few and Pakistan has lost one more Liberal. :(
raw is war
Nov 24, 2012 03:07pm
My respects!
Mann Singh
Nov 24, 2012 03:06pm
Great man. Great patriot. Through rationalist. You will be rembered fondly. RIP.
BRR
Nov 24, 2012 03:07pm
A great loss for his family and admirers. Pakistan surely did not deserve him, he was too good a person for the ungrateful nation, and too much of a humanitarian to ignore the suffering of humanity. He does his people proud, even if Pakistanis are not proud of him. He has done more than his bit for humanity, most of which has been undeserving of his compassion and genius.
zulfiqar
Nov 24, 2012 03:16pm
May Allah rest his soul in peace....We really miss him...great Pakistani is no more with us...i dont know how much coverage this man received on our electronic media as i don watch tv for so long...hope he get the due respect he deserved.
bhanji
Nov 24, 2012 03:15pm
one of the reason I was proud to be a Pakistani. May Allah rest his noble soul in Peace.
TKhan
Nov 24, 2012 03:58pm
A Pakistani by choice; he not only loved his adopted country, but truly cared for it also. RIP Mr. Cowasjee.
Tariq Mahmood
Nov 24, 2012 03:57pm
He was a very steadfast columnist. May his soul rest in peace. Such persons are always needed in a society to awaken the conscious of the people and particularly of persons at helm of affairs in the Government.
akhtar
Nov 24, 2012 03:34pm
Mr. Cowarsjee- Rest in Peace (RIP). You were one of the handfull old timers, regardless of colour, creed and religion, who were honest and contributed to the welfare of the country called Pakistan
khaver ahmedk
Nov 24, 2012 03:34pm
A big void, indeed the voice of reason is no more.
Vipul Thakore
Nov 24, 2012 03:57pm
Sorry to hear about his passing away. He was salt of the earth and Pakistan has lost a good son. In an email, few years ago, when he saw my previous office address, he requested me to go to the next street and look up his old London residential building in St. James', London SW1, not far from Buckingham Palace in Central London. I did and informed him that it had changed a lot from what he described. That is it. I have never met him. May God bless his soul. His wish has been to seee a peaceful Pakistan.
Osman Khairi
Nov 24, 2012 03:13pm
What makes you think we're not proud of him? Cowasjee lives in me. In you. And in all of us. A true role model for all us Pakistanis.
M.Bugi
Nov 24, 2012 05:48pm
A GREAT ERA of Journalism,Has Passed away,But Not In Silence, After Living His Life In Full,a 21 Gun Salute, a man who never compromised on Principles,Had a GREAT Innings,I must Say, His Columns,Articles, and also His Tirelessly working for Karachi, as his own Motherland,Pakistan as his Fatherland,and The Journey Of His Pen,I have No words to Express,SADLY-I learnt a LOT from Him,to be Honest,His Knowledge on ART was so Great,plus Intellectually he was way way Beyond any Art Critic in Pakistan as there were NONE-writing in English Does not Make u an ART critic, But he was a writer that did not Write on ART-Particularly-Knowing it all well that its Place in History Books are some what Placed Differently,Wish My Paintings Could talk,or we had Listening Glasses,on my Paintings,so i Could Replay,all the Comments that He gave to My works,GREAT ASSET, i shall Live By His words,Ameen, Rest In Peace Sum Ameen-
capt_jaffery@gmail.com.sg
Nov 25, 2012 04:29am
Wake up call for Pakistan which this noble man with a clear consious tried but in his own words failed.
Faraz H
Nov 24, 2012 01:11pm
AFZAL 'INQILABI'.
Nov 24, 2012 01:12pm
I have been reading (late) Ardeshir Cowasjee's columns appearing in the DAWN Suday's magazine without fail & have accumulated quite a number of these columns. Ever since the closure of his columns some times ago, I really miss them. Ardeshir Cowasjee was a very straight forward, frank & a very bold columnist. Had he been alive today, he would have surely tackled & taken_to_task that "Interior Minister", Rehman Malik, who takes many idiotic "so_called" security stems just to please the President. My heart felt condolences to the bereaved family in their hour of grief and may God repose his soul in the rightful place in the hereafter, Amin.
mohatrem
Nov 25, 2012 11:59am
A great man, one of his finest remarks; I am a born Pakistani not a Pakistani by choice, Never scared by writing true facts, our Politicians tried best to scare, him threaten and bully him into lengthy Senate investigation he never gave up, I pray that our journalists learn from him. When asked is he scared of his life, he said what someone will gain from killing an old man. Refused to leave his birth place though he had many options.
Vicky
Nov 24, 2012 04:22pm
Great human being,Very few can be found in this world.
Alphonso
Nov 24, 2012 02:23pm
I have been in corespondence with him for many years and on many topics and always found his advice so apt and valuable. Will miss you immnesely, Ardeshir . . .
Zubair Khan
Nov 26, 2012 12:38pm
With this sad demise a chapter in the field of journalism has come to an end. Future historians will be compelled to give him a very hihg status. Almighty may rest his sole in peace.
Anwar Qureshi
Nov 25, 2012 11:06am
Its a great loss to humanity on the whole; he was regular and punctual to reply emails sent to him; he was a fighter on the legal front against the land mafia in Karachi. His columns on political side were true image of our society. May his soul rest in peace, AMEN.
Najam Gandhi
Nov 27, 2012 06:32pm
After the demise of her great son, late Mohammad Ali Jinnah, the mother city of Karachi would have never shed so much tears of grief on the death of any of her other individual son like she may have shed on the death of Ardisher Cowasjee. Because he had devoted his life and major parts of his journalism fighting for the cause of his most beloved mother city Karachi, then Pakistan and his suffering countrymen at large. Both of these truly great sons of Karachi were a living symbol of greatness, conquering the hearts of millions and millions people all over the world reaching the peak of their political and journalistic career, respectively. Both of these truly loving sons of Karachi, in the end of their mortal journey chosen to have their final and eternal sleep under the warmth and arms of the soil of their mother city, Karachi. May Allah bless their sould with eternal peace. Amen.
Jawad Rana