PESHAWAR, Nov 22: An anti-terrorism court on Thursday directed the local police to keep a would-be suicide bomber in safe custody after his medical examination suggested that he was around 13 to 14 years old.
An official source told Dawn that the court had also taken notice of the non-production of another suspect, Jehangir, who was also arrested along with the bomber, on Nov 20, but the local police have so far not made public his arrest.
He said that the court, presided over by Ibrahim Khan, has sought explanation from the Peshawar police chief as to why the suspect, who was shown on different television channels, has not been Medical report says bomber 13 to 14 years old produced before the court despite passage of over two days. Under the Constitution of Pakistan and Code of Criminal Procedure an arrested suspect has to be produced before the court within 24 hours of his arrest failing which he is considered to be in illegal confinement.
The would-be bomber, Bilal, a day earlier was referred to the Lady Reading Hospital by the ATC with the direction that his medical examination should be conducted so as to ascertain his age.
The suspect was again produced on Thursday amid strict security before the ATC situated on the first floor of the Old Judicial Complex. The police also presented his medical examination report according to which he is around 13 to 14 years of age.
The court has directed the police to again produce the boy on Friday. — Bureau Report
He was arrested while allegedly wearing a suicide vest along with him his alleged handler, Jehangir, who is around 20.