KARACHI, Nov 22: All contact details and text messages, even the deleted ones, were retrieved on Thursday from a subscriber identity module (SIM) found at the crime scene of the twin blasts in Orangi Town.
While the forensic division of police also deciphered the identification number of the SIM and passed on all the information to an inquiry officer of the case, the name of the subscriber remains to be ascertained.
“We have analysed and retrieved all the contacts and deleted messages from the (SIM) card in the ‘digital forensic lab’ recently commissioned in the Karachi office of Forensic Division,” said AIG Forensic Division SSP Munir Shaikh while speaking to Dawn.
“We have been able to find out that no call had been made from the SIM nor any call had been received on it,” the officer added.
“The identification number (i.e) SIM number has also been deciphered, we have handed over all the gleaned information to the inquiry officer of the case,” SSP Shaikh said.
A team of the forensic division had collected the SIM card and a cellphone from the crime scene on Wednesday night and brought it to the lab for an examination.
The officer said the name of the person who had subscribed the SIM had not been ascertained so far, citing that it was yet to be seen if it belonged to any person involved in the twin blasts.
Meanwhile, police on Thursday registered an FIR (492/2012) under Sections 302, 324-34 of the Pakistan Penal Code, Section 4/5 of the Explosive Act and Section 7 of the Anti-Terrorism Act against unidentified suspects on behalf of the state at the Orangi Town police station.
At least two persons were killed and over a dozen people were wounded in twin blasts that rocked Orangi No 5 on Wednesday night.
The Pakistani Taliban spokesman, Ahsanullah Ahsan, claimed responsibility for the attack.
“We have a war of belief with Shiites,” Ahsan told The Associated Press over telephone from an undisclosed location. “They are blasphemers. We will continue attacking them,” the wire service quoted him as saying.
The police investigators said the first blast appeared to have been carried out through a remote-controlled device while the second bomb concealed in a brick seemed to have been exploded through a cellphone signal, DIG (west) Javed Odho said.
The explosives used in the first blast weighed between five and six kilograms while explosives weighing half a kilo were used in the second IED blast, said SSP counter terrorism wing (CTW) CID Raja Umar Khattab.