ISLAMABAD, Nov 16: The police chief of Islamabad on Friday admitted before Justice Shaukat Aziz Sddiqui of Islamabad High Court (IHC) that the merit list on which 579 assistant sub inspectors and constables were inducted in May this year was displayed without the approval of the competent authority.
Bani Amin Khan, the inspector general of the police, disclosed this during the hearing of a petition filed by Sadaqat Ali, a Baloch youth, who was on the top of the merit list but denied a job.
Mr Khan said the merit list was prepared by police officials in 2009 but without the approval of the then IGP Kalim Imam the results were announced the same year.
“Former IG Kalim Imam then took up the matter with the ministry of interior which delayed the induction process,” he added.
Sadaqat was among the candidates who had qualified the test for the 111 posts of ASIs and 468 posts of constables but were kept waiting for the appointment letters because the interior ministry stopped the recruitment process.
Justice Siddiqui on January 26, 2012, disposed of their petitions with the direction to the police to appoint the successful and qualified candidates in accordance with the law.
The interior ministry and the capital police in May this year issued call letters to the qualified candidates asking them to join the police force in 14 days.
Sadaqat, however, through his counsel informed the court that his letter was issued after expiry of the 14-day deadline.
During the hearing, SSP Malik Yousuf tried to convince the court that Sadaqat’s letter was delivered to him on time. However, the SSP failed to produce any evidence or record to support the claim.
He also said inductions against all the vacant positions had been made and there was no post left against which the Baloch youth could be adjusted.
The judge expressed annoyance over the casual approach of the police authorities and advised them not to involve their ego in the matter.
IGP Bani Amin, however, assured the court that Sadaqat would be adjusted in the next inductions without going through the test and interview.
“I would try my best but one thing I must explain that I don’t enjoy the same authority what the IGP of a province enjoys. I need to seek advice from the secretary interior even on the peripheral issues.”
The court also took up an identical petition of Azhar Hussain, who also passed the test and was not accommodated.
His counsel told the court that police authorities issued him an offer letter which was later withdrawn. The counsel accused the police of adopting a pick-and-choose policy.
The SSP told the court that Hussain was in the waiting list but after some candidates did not respond to the call letters, others from the waiting list were issued the offer letters.
“Then, we revised the strategy and decided to send reminders to the candidates mentioned in the merit list; therefore, the letters issued to the waiting candidates were cancelled.”
The court, however, directed the IGP to examine the matter. “If any candidate from the waiting list was given job, the petitioner may also be accommodated,” the judge added.