I HAD a bad experience while trying to reach a prestigious school in Johar Town (junior and middle section) for the admission of my son. The school has been barricaded from all sides.

I understand that there are security issues near a school and the safety of all children has to be ensured. However, all public roads around this particular school have been barricaded. This area is being used as car parking for the school. That is completely unacceptable.

When I asked the guard to open the barricade, the security guard called his supervisor who informed me that they had the permission from the LDA to barricade these roads and let no one in.

I asked him politely to show me a photocopy of the permission letter. The supervisor called up the school office and told them about my request. The office responded by telling him that I was not welcome inside and I should leave the premises.

I do not wish to single out this school for this particular incident, but I would like to draw attention to the fact that our disregard for law has become so extreme that even elite academic institutions, which are supposed to produce the nation’s leaders, are blatantly violating the law of the land.

Was I wrong in asking the school administration for the permission letter from the LDA? Would I have gotten the same response had I been driving a Land Cruiser with a truckload of armed guards behind me?

What is the point in teaching morals and ethics in schools when schools themselves are morally wrong?

Pakistan is facing an extremely difficult political and economic situation. The last thing we need is another generation of morally bankrupt, self-serving and myopic leaders who are being trained in our schools right now.

DR IRFAN CHAUDHARY Lahore

Afghan election: a people’s victory

AFGHAN election, on April 5, was a day of triumph for all Afghans, including women, who played their due role with...

Ending power crisis

Energy resources are the backbone of economic development of any country. Pakistan has been facing the problem of...

Waste-to-energy

THIS is apropos Khunsha Khalid’s letter ‘Waste-to-energy’ (March 28) and mixed comments thereon by some...

CCI and Sindh

THE Chamber of Commerce and Industries’ meeting was recently held at which Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif tried to...

Comments are closed.

Comments (10)

Arshad Jamil
November 13, 2012 5:27 pm
Home and schools/educational institutions are the building blocks for instilling moral values to individuals, who in turn form a nation.
Saeed
November 13, 2012 1:09 pm
Regret to disagree, if everyone ignores this morally bankrupt decrepit institutionalized behavior just because one considers it an ego issue than only God can help Pakistan. One has to take a stand and its not a waste of time. When people start to take alternate routes they are only helping to perpetuate this problem. You did right doctor, now take them to task. This is not an institution that can be trusted with our future.
Sam
November 14, 2012 2:20 am
We can only blame other countries for everything.
Karachiwala
November 14, 2012 12:07 am
Welcome to the reality, have fun and enjoy being in land of the pure!!!
Jamila (Karachi)
November 13, 2012 10:53 pm
As one comment here shows, we as a nation have become insensitive to such indecencies and injustices. One who asks the right question is targeted and asked not to argue with school security. Dr. Irfan, you have our full support as you did the right thing. We must fight these zombies who are plaguing our country and our society!!!
Nadeem
November 13, 2012 6:39 am
Absolutely true
saqib
November 13, 2012 9:38 am
You must have nothing better to do than stand there and argue with the school security. I have the same problem near my house in Karachi but i just take an alternate route because to me time is more valuable than getting one up on the ego battle.
Gerry D'Cunha
November 13, 2012 9:04 am
rules and laws are only made for the poor to follow in pakistan - the rich and elite of the country dont care for these rules and laws. these elite only follow the laws when they step in another country.
Amn
November 13, 2012 1:48 pm
I like your stance. if more and more people demand such things, it may get better. The school perhaps has never been asked for such papers before. But if they get repeated such requests, they may pay heed.
Aziz
November 13, 2012 4:11 am
Long story short "Absence of Will" to look into the moral and ethics of a state of affairs on every ones part. Things can change drastically when change comes from top or from a selfless leader (in present situation must be an x-men series character who can heal himself up of bullet and bomb wounds) who can lead a mass movement. How long a chaos can go on?
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Cartoons