KARACHI: The Jamaat-i-Islami chief, Maulana Abul Ala Maudoodi, said last night that the six-point programme suggested by him was the only solution of various ills facing Pakistan.
The programme was explained by him at a largely-attended public meeting held at the Arambagh under the auspices of the Jamaat-i-Islami, Karachi.
The Maulana put forward the following six principles to be adopted by the nation:
1. Pakistan should be an Islamic State based on Quran and Sunnah. Islam is the only way through which we can march forward towards progress and prosperity.
2. There should be complete democracy in the country.
3. The country should belong to the people and not to any group or individual. The Government should be subordinate to the Parliament.
4. Fair and free elections should be ensured in the country and the people should have the right to elect whom they like.
5. Every individual and group should have the opportunity to propagate his views in a democratic and constitutional manner. This should be the only way of coming to power. All back doors to power should be closed.
6. Press, radio and news agencies should never be misused for propagating any particular group or party. They are essential for a democratic system anywhere in the world. —Staff Correspondent