MOST of the times we read and talk all the stuff that is against our sweet homeland. Here, I tell you a true story that is to thank Pakistan.

I was born in a very poor family in 1952 in Mirpurkhas district. My maternal uncles were educated up to the final class (i.e., equal to Class VII).

That inspired my mother to send me to school. At my village, ‘Dengan Bhurgri’, the birthplace of Raees Ghulam Muhammad Khan Bhurgri (the first graduate of Sindh), I studied up to Class VI. The great and selfess teachers taught very well. I studied from Class VI to Class X at Tando Jam Muhammad.

To earn for my studies, I started working when I was in Class V. The first wage was 25 paisa for a half day. It increased to Rs15, Rs50, Rs125 and finally to Rs200 a month in 1975.

Domestic circumstances compelled me to marry at the age of 20. I could not continue my engineering classes after HSC (Pre - Engineering) because of financial constraints. I did many odd jobs -- at a restaurant, a fruit shop, a paan - bedi shop, a shoe shop, a cotton factory, a flour mill and at a trading company.

In January 1975 I took a bold step of quitting the job that meant losing Rs200 a month and sought admission in M.A. English literature at the University of Sindh. It all became possible because of Mr Fayaz Ahmad -- my best friend -- who gave me Rs200 a month for two years. His salary was only 350 and he was married too.

I studied 14 hours a day at the university hostel because there was no room for any sluggishness. I did my MA and got second position.

The great Principal, the late Capatin Shukuruddin, and the late Prof. Tariq Mustafa Khan selected me for the post of lecture in English in 1977 on merit.

I taught English at Cadet College, Petaro, for 35 years, and retired as Vice Principal this year.

The boy who earned Rs25 a day in 1962 was receiving Rs133,000 a month in 2012. Now, I am receiving a pension of Rs55,000 a month.

My head bows down to God Almighty, all the time.

The moral of the story is: never be without hope, never be discouraged. Just keep working hard with a total faith. Time does not remain the same. Stop talking and writing against Pakistan.

We have, recently, been declared the 16th happiest country in the world while India is 32nd and the US is 105th.

We do have our problems but it is we who have to rise above the self and steer the ship out of the troubled waters to the island of safety, happiness and prosperity. Just keep the faith. Things have changed for the better -- you must try further to make more good changes to make Pakistan great and strong.

PROF. JETHA NAND RAHI Hyderabad

Energy efficiency

OUR energy crisis is the result of our lack of energy efficiency. It can be seen all around us. Some of its relevant...

Cotton research

AS a cotton man, I read with considerable interest the advertisement supplement brought out on ‘Cotton Research ...

Terror & world records

ANY realist would agree that a state’s foremost duty is to guarantee safety to its citizens. Sadly, for our...

Security situation

THIS is apropos the news item ‘Investigators collecting information to verify UBA claims’ (April 11). How bleak...

Comments are closed.

Comments (41)

Dhump
October 28, 2012 5:36 pm
What a great story Professor! For all the sad stories there is always one good story about our country that keeps us going. Every country has problems, we do have our share but there is nothing that can't be fixed. There is Malala, there is our youth, there is Edhi, there is Abdus Salam, there is our first Pakistani female astronaut and there is you! How could we not look forward? God bless Pakistan and live for ever our great country!
Usman Chaudhri
October 27, 2012 11:00 pm
Love it. Keep it up.
R.Kannan
October 28, 2012 5:11 am
inspiring article
Mohammad
October 28, 2012 9:23 pm
It is the people of a country who make the country a "real country to live in, build it, make it happy and prosperous". Every person should aspire to achieve this goal. At the same time, the country government should "respect" it's citizens and shoukd hold them in high esteem.
squashleo05
October 27, 2012 10:20 pm
exactly asim,i had my american friends,by that i mean all who came to the US,at a young age,or were born here,check pakistani websites,then indian websites,newspapers,et al.then go to you tube,check pakistani videos,then indian videos,they all agreed,that in 9 out of 10 cases,attackes were initiated by indians.thank you for raising a good point.interestingly as we saw with shiva,they do always read,even if they don't always comment.the thing is asim they never accepted the existence of pakistan,jinnah is considered an "evil man,genius" in india,and we both know that nehru is respected as an excellent politician in pakistan!
Dia
October 27, 2012 8:36 pm
Salam Professor, Did you ever manage to pay back your friend Mr. Fayez?
AHA
October 27, 2012 12:13 pm
I salute you. Your life should be an inspiration for many. People should know about this.
Tahir Rao
October 28, 2012 9:57 am
I pray, Allah bless you with health.
S. Imam
October 27, 2012 7:56 pm
You are not being fair sir. People leave their beloved countries to settle elsewhere for many reasons, but primarily, to seek better future. They do not necessarily leave because they do not love their country. Compared to Pakistanis, more Indians have left India and settled elsewhere and substantially more Americans live outside America. particularly to seek cheaper retirement places and inexpensive schools. Blind hatred for a country or its people is immoral. It seems some people are in a habit of only seeing negative things about others. Pakistan have many problems, and so does every country including India and America but nations do rise from ashes and learn from their mistakes. Japan, Germany and Poland are the best examples where many foreigners including Pakistanis, Indians and Americans now live in search for a better a better life.
student
October 27, 2012 12:59 am
hurray
gashirazi
October 27, 2012 12:56 am
Great job professor sahib. You would have been a very sucessful man in USA too. I know lots of Desies who came to USA with less than 30 dollars in their pocket and made big time. If you play by the rules, work hard you get what you derserve.
Samson Simon Sharaf
October 27, 2012 4:38 am
Great and inspirational. I too have lots to share too
shiva
October 27, 2012 1:26 pm
Positive outcomes in your country = positive thoughts from your neighbors. The day you understand this concept fully well will be the day we will become really good neighbors!!
raza
October 27, 2012 2:10 am
Real inspiration for any one struggling out there. You need not be Pakistani to get inspiration from such people.
malik
October 27, 2012 2:33 am
Thank you for the good story.
ayaz
October 27, 2012 2:56 am
My salutes to the gentleman.......
asim
October 27, 2012 7:46 am
I am shocked ! no negative comments from neighbours.
S. Imam
October 27, 2012 7:04 am
There was never a shortage of talent and hardworking people in Pakistan. We were only short on sincere and honest leadership.
Gee
October 27, 2012 3:56 am
Mr. Rahi Indians and Americans are always on the go for higher education, making inventions, going after business ventures whereas Pakistanis are satisfied with day to day living and having good time. If Pakistanis are so happy why are they striving so hard to leave their country to settle in America, for that matter in any Western nation? When it comes to success in life I might as well give you an example of what Buddha said 2500 years ago: ?You are your own master. You make your own future.? Hard work is the only vehicle which can carry one to the desired goal. You were serious enough and determined to work hard and succeed in your mission.
jalaluddin S. Hussain
October 27, 2012 4:27 am
"Thank you, my dear Pakistan. Thank you, Cadet College, Petaro. Thanks to all those who helped me, especially Mr Fayaz and my late mother." I consider the thank yous of Mr. Rahi as genuine and must say that I also love Pakistan like him. The only difference is that he is living inside Pakistan and I am living outside Pakistan, in Canada as a dual citizen. Long live Pakistan!
iffat
October 28, 2012 1:49 pm
Well-said. And a balanced view expressed by a Pakistani like few Indians would ever do.Even British people move to Canada. There are many reasons for iommigration.
Abdul Rauf
October 27, 2012 9:59 am
Really touching story....! I believe in, "Don't complain of darkness, light a candle".
nayyer hasan
October 26, 2012 11:24 pm
Thanks for sharing your story with us.It will indeed help to increase our trust and resolve to build our country and bring it out of the present crisis .
Imran Ahsan Mirza
October 26, 2012 11:41 pm
Prof Rahi you are a great person indeed. We are so pleased to hear such a motivating story and listen to an attitude of gratitude which is missing from the rest of the society. Pakistan has much greater potential than what is obvious, it needs to be tapped and encouraged to come up to surface. Governments can promote better education system and introduce good policies with more funding to create more Jetha Nand Rahis for our Pakistan.
akhter husain
October 27, 2012 1:57 pm
Thank you Professor Rahi for your sweet and loving comments for Pakistan.I hope that the so called protectors of Pakistan may like to learn,from him,what paying gratitude and thankfulness means.
Laeeq
October 28, 2012 7:44 am
I am proud to say that I was your student in 1995-96.You are my role model and am thankful for everything you taught us. Laeeq Malik
zubair
October 27, 2012 6:38 pm
Sir, Thank you for sharing your story and I am sure you taught all this to your students. Thanks again. Regards, Zubair
Sajid Ali Arain
October 27, 2012 6:39 pm
He is my proud teacher.
Obaid
October 27, 2012 4:50 pm
Thank you professor for sharing your story. You are a real inspiration. May Allah protect our Pakistan.
Mahmood Minhas
October 27, 2012 4:49 pm
God Help those who help themselves. It was strong will of Mr Rahi and Al Mighty God provided him the apportunities to prove his capbilities.
Kashif
October 28, 2012 11:43 am
Proud of having been his student :)
observer
October 28, 2012 3:12 am
If the system does not treat hardworkers fairly, then faith in fruits of hardwork is naturally lost or reduced. In Pakistan, we have not been able to root out class system that suited colonial rulers. Our country is a national security state. Half of the country was lost and the only inquiry that happened was rolled under the carpet. Repeated martial laws, limited democracy, weak education system, weak economic system, no focus on developing judicial system, interference in other countries, acceptance of interference from other countries, etc. is what we have. Yet there is always hope. We are a nation of 185 million people out of which most of hardworking. We need to develop as a nation. Long way to go but no need to give up hope. Let us keep working hard, keep going.
observer
October 28, 2012 3:17 am
I don't know why 2 people gave this comment thumbs down !!!
Bushra
October 28, 2012 6:46 pm
Prof Rahi, a very encouraging story indeed - reminded me of my father who is a totally self-made person like you, coming from a village and making it to the position of a provincial secretary all on his own. And of course, like you, he had several people in his life that he owed his success to. And he passed on that kindness to others, changing the life of many people by giving them an opportunity to succeed they could not have got otherwise. A little kindness can go a long way to make a significant change in someone's life and erseverance and hard work always pay off!
Mohammad Siddique
October 28, 2012 6:50 pm
What a heart warming tale of a self made man. Thank you for a great inspiration of youth of today. God Blessyou.
Sam
October 28, 2012 5:31 am
Why dont you permenantly comeback to Pakistan and contribute?Pakistan is no longer safe. Grass always looks greener from the other side.
ABlitzer
October 28, 2012 7:29 pm
What an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing Professor Rahi.
tariq shaikh
October 28, 2012 12:41 am
well i am glad to hear this. in 2003 i moved back to Pakistan after 33 years. opened two businesses but all I got was rishwat demands. money for khichra by mqm people. garbage thrown by people around my store by residents living upstairs. water shortages etc. I am glad you made it. I had to go back for survival to USA. happy for you. sad for what the country has become. Came for my Mothers funeral last year and they stle my phone while i was lifting the coffin. tariq
Khalid R Chaudry
October 27, 2012 9:00 pm
Prof. Rahi, Almighty bless you and keep you and your family fit, I really appreciate you sharing the realistic story with full faith. Your Mother knew the best for you and you did not disappointed her.
Babar
October 28, 2012 4:46 am
Great Man of a Great Country!!
Javaid Dars
October 28, 2012 4:20 am
I had opportunity to learn English with honorable Sir Prof. Jetha Nand Rahi during 1993 to 1999. I am very rejoiced to see his writing here with the same impression that almost a decade ago he had been inspiring me "positivism and valor". Thank you for sharing this experience here. (Javaid Dars - 9432, Liaquat)
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Cartoons