Dawn News

mobile-phone-670
The image shows a woman using a mobile phone. — Photo by Eefa Khalid

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Thursday barred the government from suspending mobile phone services, DawnNews reported.

However, after hearing a petition requesting the court to bar the government from suspending mobile phone services, the high court also ordered that if necessary, the government could implement the measure with the approval of the president.

Earlier on Sept 23, sources in the interior ministry had said that mobile phone services may be suspended in some parts of the country during Eidul Azha days because of risks of terrorist attacks.

Sources had told Dawn that the ministry had received warnings from security agencies about possibility of incidents of terrorism during Eidul Azha and terrorists may use mobile phones to detonate explosive devices and communicate with each other to organise attacks.

Earlier during Eidul Fitr, cellular services were blocked in Karachi, Lahore, Quetta, Multan and some other parts of the country.


Email news tips and feedback to News Desk, submit blogs to Blog Desk and share photos and Videos with Special Projects Desk.


Comments (0) Closed