SYDNEY: An Australian teenager was critically ill in hospital on Thursday after being bitten by the world’s most venomous snake, with detectives probing how he came into contact with the desert reptile.

The 17-year-old walked into a hospital in the small town of Kurri Kurri, north of Sydney, on Wednesday afternoon with a bite to his left hand.

According to local reports, his friend was carrying a plastic tub containing the snake responsible, which was later identified as the toxic inland taipan.

Also known as the fierce snake due to the strength of its venom — one drop of which is enough to kill 100 adult men — the inland taipan typically lives in central Australia’s arid deserts and is not normally seen on the coast.

Detectives had been called in to investigate where the snake had come from, with speculation it could have been an illegal pet.—AFP

More From This Section

Watching Modi, the maestro, at work

It's the view of many Indians that Modi is playing the role of BJP superego as the party’s RSS id boils away underneath.

Why do so many people die in ferry accidents?

Ferries in developing countries are often old vessels, sometimes operating in waterways for which they weren’t designed.

Women edge into Gulf boardrooms as societies shift

DUBAI: Amina al-Rustamani, a member of a prominent UAE family, raised eyebrows among friends and relatives when she...

Gabriel Garcia Marquez: An influence ‘all over the planet’

Far beyond wider Hispanic world, Marquez’s influence is felt by and plays out in work of authors all over the planet.


Comments are closed.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Cartoons
E-PAPER
Front Page