QUETTA, Sept 19: The provincial government will carry out relief and rehabilitation of people affected by flooding in Balochistan from its own resources instead of seeking help from non-governmental organisations (NGOs), says a senior official of the government.

Addressing a press conference on Wednesday, focal person of Balochistan government and Secretary Information and Technology Akbar Hussain Durrani said there was no need to seek assistance from international and local NGOs as the government had enough resources to provide relief to the flood-hit people.

He said the finance department had released Rs110 million for relief work, adding that the National Disaster Management (NDMA) had assured the government of providing assistance if needed.

Information Minister Muhammad Younas Mullazai and Secretary Information Siddiq Mandokhel accompanied the secretary.

In reply to a question, Mr Durrani said that based on what happened after the floods in 2010 the government had realised that the NGOs exhibited exaggerated figures against the small measure of relief work they undertook.

He said that in 2010 the government had provided relief goods to some non-governmental organisations for distribution among the flood-hit people but they claimed before the media that the supplies had been arranged by the NGOs.

He said there was no restriction on the NGOs but those interested in relief work should get their plans implemented through the provincial disaster management authority.

More From This Section

Comments (0) (Closed)