Dawn News

Sangakkara bags ICC awards hat-trick

“This is an amazing honour and I've seen the people who have won it before me and the nominees too... to be named alongside them is wonderful.” -Photo by Reuters

COLOMBO: Prolific Sri Lankan batsman Kumar Sangakkara stole the show with a hat-trick of International Cricket Council (ICC) awards in Colombo on Saturday.

The 34-year-old batsman-wicketkeeper bagged the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy after being named Cricketer of the Year. He also won the Test Cricketer of the Year and People's Choice awards.

Performances over a 12-month period that ended on August 6, 2012 were taken into account.

Sangakkara scored 1,444 runs with five centuries in 14 Tests and 1,457 runs in 37 one-day internationals with three hundreds during the year.

The Sri Lankan fought off stiff competition from South Africans Hashim Amla and Vernon Philander, and Australian Michael Clarke, to win the trophy.

“This is an amazing honour and I've seen the people who have won it before me and the nominees too... to be named alongside them is wonderful,” said Sangakkara.

“I admire them greatly and even more so when I looked up at their records on the screen this evening. It's great to be amongst them, but now, to receive this honour this evening, is simply fantastic.”

Virat Kohli of India was named the One-day Cricketer of the Year for scoring 1,733 runs in 31 matches with eight centuries.

“I think I have tried to keep things as simple as possible and it's worked for me on the field,” said Kohli.

“This year has been a learning curve along the way from the seniors in the team. It's been an all-round effort and I'm very happy to have won this award.”

West Indies spinner Sunil Narine, 24, won the Emerging Cricketer of the Year award for taking 12 wickets in three Tests and 28 in 15 one-day internationals.

“This award means a lot for me and it's an encouragement to keep going and continue to improve. I dedicate this award to my father,” said Narine.

Ireland's spinner George Dockrell was named Associate and Affiliate Cricketer of the Year ahead of teammates Kevin O'Brien, Ed Joyce and Paul Stirling, and Afghanistan's Dawlat Zadran.

“It's good to be setting high standards and hopefully I will keep performing well for Ireland in the future,” said Dockrell, 20.

South African Richard Levi's unbeaten 117 off 51 balls against New Zealand was judged the Best Performance in Twenty20 Internationals.

Daniel Vettori of New Zealand won the Spirit of Cricket award ahead of Pakistan's Mohammad Hafeez.

Email feedback and queries to Dawn.com's editorial team, or visit our contact page

asad
Sep 16, 2012 08:35pm
agree
Muhammad Daud Alam
Sep 16, 2012 01:59am
Hashim Amla deserved to get at least one award .
Babar Awan Mirza
Sep 16, 2012 04:20am
Even if he was on the short list, Snagakara or hashim Amla should have won !!! i am very surprised Amla did not win any award! thisis the big question mark for me!!!
Asif
Sep 15, 2012 06:49pm
What happened to Ajmal?
Haroon
Sep 15, 2012 08:39pm
He deserve for it.He is very good batsman.he play for his country
rohan
Sep 16, 2012 05:13am
he is not a bowler !!!!!!!111111
Waqar Hassan
Sep 15, 2012 08:20pm
ICC has failed to do justice with Pakistan by not selecting Saeed Ajmal for the cricketer of the year award and by doing so ICC is exposed as a Biased organization
Aamir
Sep 16, 2012 06:50am
I dont know ; why are we stuck with Ajmal. The finalist were decided by a jury consisting of 32 people from various countries including ex-cricketers and umpires (inclduing Pakistani). Now, their majority didnt chose Ajmal for whatever reason should be accepted by all. I agree that Ajmal's perfromance was simply awesome during the last 12 months but you have to respect the jury or each country will have their own Cricketer of the Year.
Syed
Sep 16, 2012 08:26am
Congratulations to Sangakara and to the Srilankan Nation. It is a proud moment for everyone who loves cricket. I would like to appreciate the fact that Srilanka has been in war situation for some time and now personalities like Sanga gives them hope and due attention. If any Srilankan reading this, we Pakistanis love you
Surinder Jeet
Sep 17, 2012 04:11am
Amla did not win an award as South Africa had not played enough ODI cricket to be considered. South Africa did notcall it a conspiracy against their country and boycott ICC for this.Reader Aamir has issued a considered and educated comment by saying that the jury that consisted of 32 members came from all the cricket playing countries including Pakistan. If they thought that someone else was equally or more qualified then what is the big deal? Please stay away from conspiracy theories and enjoy the game.
Nish(India)
Sep 17, 2012 06:01am
hmmm... I am surprised no conspiracy theorist has come up with any theory as to how BCCI and India might be behind it
HUSSAIN
Sep 15, 2012 05:06pm
WE ARE STUNG THAT WHY ICC IGNORED, BEST PERFORMER OF ALL FORMAT PLAYER SAEED AJMAL..
asad
Sep 16, 2012 08:38pm
i am absolutely content that in such a short time Saeed Ajmal made it to this list where names like snagakara and hashim amla exist..they hve been there for a long time and ajmal is going so fast.. he'll ge there eventually , apparently before these guys made it.. regards