03 September, 2014 / Ziqa'ad 7, 1435

A poster of the film "Kya Dilli Kya Lahore" – Courtesy KDKL Facebook page

kya-dill-kya-lahore-670

A poster of the film "Kya Dilli Kya Lahore" – Courtesy KDKL Facebook page

An Indian film based on a fictional story of two Pakistani and Indian soldiers posted along the neighbouring countries’ border will be presented by prominent Indian lyricist and director Gulzar, according to a report in Times of India.

Kya Dilli Kya Lahore,” which tells the tale of an Indian soldier of Pakistani origin and a Pakistani soldier of Indian origin, their accidental meeting and the ensuing exchange or words, bullets and heart-warming tales, is expected to be at the end of the year.

Gulzar was previously linked with the film as a mentor and has now officially become a part of the project.

“The subject (partition) is very close to my heart. I have been writing about it a lot. After seeing the film I was surprised to know that many youngsters have been associated with the film and yet they have brought the essence of the whole film so well,” said Gulzar who was born in Dina, Jhelum district, now in Pakistan.

“Karan had brought the script to me and after they completed the film, he brought it to show it to me. The film was bang on. The film talks about peace yet is not preachy and there is no bloodshed, it is a human drama and very relevant,” added the veteran whose family was one of the many to have suffered the partition woes.

The film has been directed by Vijay Raaz and features actors Raj Zutshi, Manu Rishi, Vishwajeet Pradhan and Vijay.

The film is a humorous take on India-Pakistan relations and talks about the bond between an Indian soldier and a Pakistani soldier stationed at the border. The first look of the film was unveiled at the Wagah border Aug 14.

G.A.
Sep 16, 2012 12:17am
Typical Bollyood overdramatizing and emotionalism. Soldier with glasses looks more like a civilian. Even the haircut is not right. It's a good concept but it would be nice that, as the worlds largest film industry, they would make these movies a bit realistic. The talent is definitely there.
Kuldeep
Sep 15, 2012 06:54pm
Lakeerein hain to rehne do, kisi ne rooth kar gusse mein shayad kheech di thi. Unhi ko ab banao paala aur aao kabaddi khelte hain. Lakeerein hain to rehne do
Abdullah Hussain
Sep 16, 2012 10:20am
The fact is fact. It is very a painful experience indeed. One of my close & elderly relative living in the US deeply wishes to go back & die in his hometown but he can't do that because he cannot travel anymore. Tears in his eyes speaks a volume.
Maula Bux
Sep 16, 2012 01:35pm
My Auntie, orignally from Sialkot and who was a teacher in Jallander was left starnded there when the voilence broke out. She was taken into her house by her fellow teacher, who was a sikh. She kept a vigil on her and even slept in the same room with her to prevent any body from the family do any harm to my Auntie. Eventually, they contacted Indira Ghandhi, who had studied in the same college with them, and asked for help. Indira sent a police escort to bring my Auntie to Dehli and sent to Lahore on a plane. My Autie's fellow school teacher stayed with her until the plane left for Lahore.
syed
Sep 16, 2012 08:39pm
GOD WILLINGLY your wish comes to reality. It is time to become humans instead of indian and pakistani.
Amit-Atlanta-USA
Sep 17, 2012 02:54am
There sure are isolated instances of such bonds of friendship, but in reality the schasm between Indians and Pakistanis, or for that matter between even India's/World's non-Muslims and Muslims is just too wide to bridge, as we see from what's going on in the name of a deplorable anti-Islam movie, made by an obscure individual bent upon insulting Muslims. But, if Muslims knowing fully well can react in a way that every American or westerner is portrayed as evil and needed to be killed, one naturally gets the feeling that such bonhamie between Hindus & Muslims, or other non-Muslims adn Muslims is at best superficial isolated instances. While most westerners and Indians do believe that not evey Muslim is a radical, unless moderate Muslims themselves rally to stop the black sheep amongst them, it's only natural for the world to view the entire community in a suspicious manner. Here I am reminded of the statement made by a well known Pakistani radio host Fasi Zaka who had said "The silent majority does not want to take out a gun and shoot anyone, but at the same time they're not appalled by it when somebody else does, The majority are enablers.!!!!" I am sorry to be pessimistic, but, it appears to me that such real brotherly feelings between Hindus & Muslims, or non-Muslims and Muslims (I mean between the multitudes of masses and not one of a kind individual relationships like these) remain a far cry.....if at all that was ever possible!!!
Aziz
Sep 17, 2012 05:53am
Dear brother Ashok, Both my wife and I can understand your pains because our families have gone through the same soul-wrenching experience from entirely separate parts of the subcontinent. One day, God-willing very soon, you will be able to bring your father to his place of birth. I will certainly plead with my government to expedite your father's visa to Pakistan. While in our country ( I should say your father's country of birth) is that people would welcome one of theirs with open arm. You might be pleasantly surprised at the contradiction about what you read in the papers and what the overwhelming majority of Pakistanis are really like. We will keep praying that you and your father visit us soon and keep visiting. With love On behalf of all Pakistanis
Farzandey,
Sep 17, 2012 06:02am
Rightly hoped and said that the lines separating the people of the sub-continent will be washed away or say melt away by the warmth of love of hearts of the people proving the truthfulness of the most universally proclaimed slogan of 'love for all, hatred for none' is the dire need of the humanity. If the mutually fighting nations of France and Germany could unite and live together and prosper with the rest of two dozen countries of Europe under EU and one Euro currency and if one visa (of a country) enables the holder to travel all the EU countries, If they can do it then why not our South Asian countries of Pakistan, India, Bangla Desh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Maldeep can do the same to create an oasis of love, peace, mutual cooperation for tranquality and prosperity of the people as Faiz said mera Paigham Munabbat Hai Jahan Tak Puhnchey.
Sohail Butt
Sep 17, 2012 06:11am
Ashok. My story and yours is very similar. However it happened the other way round. My father and my Grandfather both lived to be 92 and 86 respectively and had very deep roots in the city of Amritsar. Both left at the time of paritition for Lahore after leaving the deadbodies of their closest family members on the streets of Amritsar. Both passed away with an unfulfilled wish of visiting Amritsar again in their lives. That never happened. That was the tragedy of partition and at least two generations of Indians and Pakistanis suffered the trauma and the aftermath in most tragic circumstances. Amritsar, for my fathers family was the best city in the whole wide world with no comparision on any count.
ashok
Sep 16, 2012 05:14am
I have seen tears roll down the cheeks of my grandfather who was from jalalpur Jattan,Dist. gujrat pakistan,while talking about his city and could feel his pain of leaving his belongings and everything he owned in his eyes.my father told us countless stories of hardships when they reached Amritsar and their life in tents in the refugee camps.One thing was commonin in my father's and my grandfather's stories and that was the pain of leaving, the land where they were born and which was a foreign country for them called Pakistan.My grandfather died in 1971 and my father is 85 years old and I wish from the bottom of my heart to take him to the land he once called home jalalpur Jattan,Dist.gujrat,Pakistan.
Aamir
Sep 17, 2012 07:37am
seems like a good movie. Worth watching
Davgun
Sep 15, 2012 09:56pm
Seems to be interesting film. The theme is very interesting; understanding and affections for fellow human beings. " We all smile the same way."
jalaluddin S. Hussain
Sep 15, 2012 06:00pm
In spite of living in three different countries, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, the peoples of these countries, belonging to different religions and races, can still live together.
BK
Sep 16, 2012 03:09pm
Seems like a great initiative from across the border. More movies should be made on topics that can help reconcile the differences that exist between the two nations. Enough time has been spent on fretting over our differences, its time to build a new foundation of friendship based on our similarities. Hope the movie does well and a big thanks to the team that worked on making this movie.
Ajaya K Dutt
Sep 15, 2012 04:52pm
Somehow we need to eliminate the source of enimosity in the two "cultures". We all need to realise that Hinduism is not an evil religion and those who portrays so, are product of evil belief and practice. This message needs to be brought forth by Hindus themselves as well as human elements those "cultures" that are infected with evil belief and practice.
syed
Sep 16, 2012 08:42pm
PEOPLE like us will bring this change. I pray to almighty.
Vikram
Sep 15, 2012 04:14pm
@ Aha... Inshallah your hope will become a reality one day.... because no matter what happens the line drawn in the ground which seprates the two countries will be washed off by the love of heart among the people of both the countries.....
Madan
Sep 15, 2012 03:45pm
We should watch such films as they depict the human sufferings.I know ,first hand, what partition of India did to my father's family and deprived us of our childhood.
Vineet
Sep 16, 2012 06:58pm
I wish to see similar movie made in Pakistan.
AHA
Sep 15, 2012 02:33pm
I watched ‘Into the White’ yesterday. It was based on the real stories of a British and a German pilot who shot each other over the skies of Norway, and the bonding they developed while trying to survive in the rigid Norwegian climate. They remained friends ever since. I have read accounts of British and German aace pilots were shooting each other in Europe but later became friends till the day they died. Unfortunately, this movie (Kya Dilli Kya Lahore) is only a fiction. I hope to see a day when this becomes a reality.