01 August, 2014 / Shawwal 4, 1435

Smokers’ Corner: A glorious day

Published Sep 02, 2012 03:05am

The shop from where I buy my groceries has a donation box in which people put money for the construction of a madressa. That box has been there for the last many years and every time I see it I want to open it up, take out all the juicy red and green currency notes and distribute them among the usual set of beggars in that area.

A few days ago I finally managed to express my desire to the shop-owner, Fareed Bhai. ‘Fareed bhai, it’s been so many years since you’ve been collecting money for this madressa, I’m sure it’s now complete?’

‘Yes,’ he replied.

‘Excellent,’ I said, ‘then why don’t we take all this money and give it to the poor!’

He looked at me puzzled: ‘This money’s for the madressa’s maintenance. And anyway, I have seen you put money in the boxes at Noor Ali’s shop, but not in this one.’

‘Fareed bhai, that is because Noor Ali’s shop keeps two boxes, one is for kidney patients (SIUT) and one for cancer patients (Shaukat Khanum).’

‘But Paracha sahib, giving money to a madressa is also a naikee (good deed),’ Fareed complained.

‘I’m sure it is,’ I replied, ‘but Fareed bhai, tell me this and tell me honestly: What do you think would make God happier; giving money to an already complete and running madressa, or to poor people?’

‘But this money belongs to the people who donated it,’ said Fareed.

‘How much money is there in the box at the moment?’ I asked.

‘Don’t know, seven to eight hundred maybe,’ he answered, shrugging his shoulders.

‘Ok, what if I add another five hundred, will you then distribute all this money to those beggars outside?’ I asked.

‘Paracha sahib, why don’t you give your money to the beggars and I’ll give the box money to the madressa.’ He smiled.

But I insisted: ‘No, Fareed bhai, I want money from this box to go to the poor!’

He laughed: ‘Arey, why little brother, why?’

‘Well,’ I continued, ‘because I am convinced God will be happier if we donate money to poor people rather than to a madressa.’

He shook his head and instinctively placed his hands on the sides of the box, as if unconsciously fearing that I will run away with it: ‘Little brother, why are you so against madressas?’

‘I am not,’ I protested, ‘I just think there are more madressas in this country than there are hospitals and good schools, that’s all.’

‘So what?’ he asked, shrugging his shoulders again, ‘that’s for the government to think!’

‘If so, then the mosques and madressas too should be the government’s prerogatives,’ I announced.

‘Government is corrupt!’ He reacted.

‘And those who keep asking money for madressas aren’t?’ I asked.

‘What do you mean?’ He asked, sheepishly.

‘Oh, come on Fareed bhai, don’t sound so innocent,’ I said; ‘you know as well as I do how much money from these boxes land in the hands of extremist organisations or in the hands of questionable maulvies, and …’

‘Enough, little brother!’ Fareed interrupted, raising his voice a notch. ‘Are you saying I am some kind of crook?’

‘No, maybe not you, but I would love to be the crook who stole money from this box and gave it to the poor, now let’s do it!’ I insisted.

‘Paracha sahib, what did you have for breakfast today?’ Fareed smiled widely, returning to his puzzled disposition.

‘Fareed bhai, you people (the urban shopkeepers), traders and some industrialists believe that by giving money to extremists and fraud maulvies, you are being protected from the wrath, the chaos and dirt of the masses …’

‘Bhai, what are you talking about?’ he asked, in a ridiculing tone. ‘We do it because of our faith.’

‘Well, Fareed bhai, this faith is first and foremost about helping the poor, and not fattening the egos and bellies of maulvies or those who preach violence and hatred to our children.’ I rhetorically announced.

‘Paracha sahib, let’s drop the subject. I am not forcing you to put money in this box,’ he said, finally picking up the box and keeping it in a closet behind him.

‘God be praised,’ I said, ‘now that’s where that box really belongs. Locked and hidden in a closet: away from the prying eyes of dirty, illiterate and irreligious poor people, and mad men like me who want to steal from it!’

Looking at my groceries, he said: ‘I see you are done shopping here. Should I make your bill… or do you want me to distribute that money to the beggars as well?’ He said, sarcastically.

‘That would be lovely, Fareed bhai,’ I said, paying him the money.

‘Bhai why don’t you understand; these beggars are part of a mafia. It’s a business!’ He said, handing me my groceries.

‘Really?’ I smiled, ‘and making madressas isn’t?’

He didn’t say anything. I picked up my groceries and knowing he would be making holes in my back with his eyes, I began distributing the groceries to the beggars outside. Then chanting ‘Allah-o-Akbar’, I sat in my car and drove away.

Countdown to Aug 14

There have been disturbing reports about the possible arrests of some PTI leaders in early August to thwart the march.

Aijaz
Sep 02, 2012 05:54am
Living standard and social status of those who are operateing maderssas is akin to landlord, owner of five thousand acre fertile agrculture land.
rehan
Sep 02, 2012 02:43pm
what's the big deal if someone chooses to donate to "madrassas" instead of Cancer or Kidney hospitals ?? Everyone is entitled to his / her own opinion and thinking and Secularists shouldn't start having seizures if "mardarssas" get a little helping hand !!!!!
Taaruf
Sep 02, 2012 05:54am
True indeede! NFP bhai u have given v good xplanation about helping destitutes n beggars rather than giving money for madrssahs. I wonder why people do not understand that Allah, Himself desires to assist people who r living beings not intangible things like madrssahs. God would be happier more by helping a soul that is hungry n needy of food.
BRR
Sep 03, 2012 02:09am
Those collection boxes are another kind of "protection money". The Madaressah's are collecting protection money and the militants help enforce that.
aij9
Sep 02, 2012 05:06pm
Good piece of write up.
Yemeen Zuberi
Sep 02, 2012 09:16pm
I live in Maryland, USA, a group of Maulvis came to my house for donation for a mosque they are building in South Africa. They admitted, when I asked them, that they are from South Africa. When I was in Karachi I often met people from Jhang, Multan and other far places, collecting money for madrassahs, orphanages, and mosques. I would say that they had printed receipts with them.
Sobia
Sep 02, 2012 01:42pm
I remember NFP relating this story when he had come to SOAS for a lecture. He said how he always wanted to steal from the clergy so he could give the money to the poor. NFP's leftist radicalism may have softened over the decades, but he remains to be a hopelessly romantic socialist. And yes, I too think stealing from the clergy is a far more deedful an act.
Taaruf
Sep 02, 2012 05:53am
True indeede! NFP bhai u have given v good xplanation about helping destitutes n beggars rather than giving money for madrssahs. I wonder why people do not understand that Allah, Himself desires to assist people who r living beings not intangible things like madrssahs. God would be happier more by doing a soul that is hungry n needy of food.
indian thoughts (@indian_thoughts)
Sep 02, 2012 12:52pm
the same can be applied to Hindu temples , we should build more schools and hospitals than temples
Akbar Hamid
Sep 02, 2012 08:21am
I am of the opinion that instead of Qurbani ,slaughtering goats and making meat nd beef more expensive every year , Qurbani money should be collected and new school for the poor or charity hospital be built but mostly people tell me it is against Islam which is not in my opinion.we are many hundred years back .Akbar
Tahir Razvi
Sep 02, 2012 06:10am
Nadeem you are brave, I took a stand and I had to leave Pakistan for good, Please be careful these Holy nut jobs are extemely dangerous.
kamaljit Singh
Sep 02, 2012 04:51am
Once again hilarious and with a double punch , Nadeem Zindabad
Sameer
Sep 02, 2012 07:07am
how do you know that donation for madressa is used for questionable activities. FYI some of madressas and extremist organization actually provide food to poor
Dani (@Daniyal8)
Sep 02, 2012 10:36pm
Lol. You teased him a lot. You were right though.
global citizen
Sep 02, 2012 09:02pm
We need to spend money on public washrooms instead of building temples.
A K
Sep 02, 2012 04:48am
Thanks for pointing to this menace. These people, blinded by the need of eternal bliss, act as instruments of the greedy and extremists who bring misery to humanity. At the same time they do not care for the basic needs of suffering humanity all around them. Be carful. Once you pose a risk to the mullah's "halwa" and "guns" they will let their goons loose on you. Even Edhi had to run for his life when mullahs saw his humanitarian efforts contesting with their fundings.
Karachi Wala
Sep 02, 2012 02:35pm
Dear Shakeel, A tree is judged by it's fruit. The fruits we are witnessing and forced to eat is a direct result of the madrassah culture that was forced on the society during first, Afghan and then Kashmir jehads.
Capt C M Khan
Sep 02, 2012 11:25am
Mughees I am not saying you are wrong, there maybe some madressas as you are saying but, majority are the ones as what Mr Paracha is saying. I have spent years in a small town of Punjab namely Jhang and the rest in Karachi. I talk from experience. You know what started from Jhang do you??? Moulana Jhangvee and his gang.
Kashif Khan
Sep 02, 2012 08:00am
Makes so much sense, if only every one in Pakistan understood.
Ahmed Saeed
Sep 02, 2012 07:19am
Thats the point. We are busy collecting money for Mosques and Madrassas but there are so many who need our attention. May be some day we make a better society. Terror breeds on poverty. Let us address it. NFP has a message for us.
Ghilzai
Sep 02, 2012 02:47pm
Agha Ata
Sep 02, 2012 01:51pm
Please do that again. Do it once a day, and do it everyday. Maybe they will understand someday!
Saad (DXB)
Sep 02, 2012 06:49pm
I love my City of Lights and although I have been living abroad for half a decade, some things about her don't fail to amuse me.. The 'Syed' with a burnt leg who has just been released from Landhi jail every day for the last 15 years and needs money to go back home in interior Sindh.. The sheepish looking bearded man who has been collecting money every day for reconstructing the Mosque that was martyred due to an Earthquake in Hyderabad over a dozen years ago.. The collectors for Madressas who first scare you about the day of judgement and then make you hate your money enough to part ways with it, with the surety that this noble act will lead you towards salvation.. All these Lollywood scripts can be enjoyed while traveling in Karachi's buses. I confronted one of the collectors for an unknown Madressa in 'Sheraz Coach' while commuting from Tower to Nipa Chowrangi a few months back. I challenged him to produce the land line number for the Madressa which provides lodging and education for the alleged 200 students. All he could come up with, was a mobile number written at the back of the donation receipt book. However, I was shocked to see how he turned furious when i tried to investigate further about the Madressa and sensing several bearded men in the bus looking at me with fury, I quietly got off the bus.. I love Karachi and Pakistan.. I don't have to pay hundreds of rupees worth of Dirhams while living in Dubai to visit a circus.. I can just commute on different buses whenever i visit Pakistan and the entertainment provided by a few rupees worth of ride is truly pricesless.
XYZ
Sep 02, 2012 05:30pm
What good will a maddressa be to a cancer or kidney patient ? Are you sure that the money donated for religious purposes is not landing in the hands of extemists who are beheading your soldiers or placing bombs in marketplaces >
p r sharma
Sep 02, 2012 05:55am
as usual fantastic critic in a sensual manner with the touch of satire.
Rakesh
Sep 02, 2012 09:45am
That would an interesting conversation but hardly so peaceful in real life. :)
Umer
Sep 02, 2012 05:08am
hmmn NFP running out of topics ? Some reality checks... your case may be strong but not true, madarrassas having been providing boarding and lodging to millions of poor people whom our government and we as social groups have failed to do so. It is true that some madarassas may be involved in illegitimate activities even supporting terrorist groups or raising terrorists as well. Here the government has the responsibility to flag those kind of madarassas and rehabilitate them. Then comes the madarassas whose management is questionable again i would say government needs to come up with a regulation to make sure such activities dont take place. Government has failed to perform its duty! and I am not talking about Gen. Zia, he may be the one who has brought extremist elements in our country but why didnt liberals like PPP and Musharaf stopped it ? perhaps you should be fair in criticizing all those who are responsible. Closing madarassas or stoping flow of funds to them will bring more damage, where would homeless childern go ? who will feed millions of poor ?
faridcowboy
Sep 02, 2012 06:50pm
sir the way you write reflects our society and environment but discussion with such people is useless becoz the will put you in the category of atheist but you thinking is great
Tahir
Sep 02, 2012 04:13pm
There are NO legitimate Madrassas. Your money is going to support fat mullahs and future terrorists in the making. Give your money to someone like Edhi (or however you spell it) foundation but not a single penny to the preachers of hate.
Ahmed Awais
Sep 02, 2012 07:46am
Good one, for a change !!!
EmMoosa
Sep 02, 2012 07:28pm
If want to save pakistan of further disasters stop donating to madrassahs. May be some of them are really needful but the rest have made the business and overall most of them are the proved schools sending out terrorism which is extremely harmful for human being.
isaak
Sep 02, 2012 12:02pm
well done Nadeem, i think the writer point is not to prove that biggers are more needy or have the right to get this money, his point is to prove that both of these institutions are there for business.a madrassa in my town collect money from all those businessmen who are earning by unfair interest and also from some smuglers. the students who complet from this madrassa cant even earn for his life. yes they propagate extreamism, spreading hatered. well done Nadeem.
ram
Sep 02, 2012 05:31pm
It was shopkeeper...not maulvi... Khatna karana he,Azan deni he,Nikhah..Janaza namaz? Find Maulvi and curse them too....when no one else is available
Mr.T
Sep 02, 2012 05:57am
@ Paracha Sahab, The distribution of money is very simple, if you want to give charity in the name of you faith, the 1st is your own family means Parents or siblings who need of money, 2nd your relatives far or near, 3rd you give your neighbors who in need beside who are they and which religion or sect they belong to. Now in all of them if nobody require any charity then you give who ever you wont madrasah or beggars or anyone. " Never augue with a fool, if you do no one will know who the fool is "
Tariq
Sep 02, 2012 10:45am
Maybe Mr. Paracha be kind enough to share with us a list of "legitimate" Madrassas or Deserving poor people? We should all maybe consult with Mr. Paracha before giving out any charity....
Shakeel Ahmed
Sep 02, 2012 06:14pm
Actually a tree is not judged, rather it is almost always seen with a positive eye and praised, even the most fruitless ones, if for nothing but their shade. Not that I am opposed to questioning, but delineating one institution in the darker shade while sticking to the positive side of the other seems a little unfair to me.
ram
Sep 02, 2012 05:19pm
This was great...Then chanting ?Allah-o-Akbar?, I sat in my car and drove away. How much u r paid for this Column and how much u share for poorer....ask him More Madressa than Wor(war)shipers. Encroach land build Madress or Mosque in such a place that no one dare destroy houses on encroached land. School place is spared for animal shelters and teachers paid to stay home. Zakat and Khairat comes First in Five
ysk
Sep 02, 2012 06:40am
Would love to have these madrassas in govt. control...only then the corruption going on there will become part of mainstream media... I have wondered many times if I can figure out JUST one positive thing these maulvis have brought to our country...
Aamir
Sep 02, 2012 10:18am
You have indicated an important problem in our society. People want to earn naikees by giving money to madressas whcih are used for unfair purposes. We have so many madrassas but not educated people. Instead we are a terrorist industry.
Ram, Hyderabad, India
Sep 02, 2012 06:11pm
I agree. There are too many temples in India. Let's start a Steal From The Religious Movement.
Murtaza Gadani
Sep 04, 2012 12:21pm
NADEEM BHAE IS POINTING OUT GOOD POINTS WHICH ARE COMMON IN OUR SOCIETY...
sujjawal
Sep 02, 2012 06:44am
This is an old article, it has already appeared a year ago!
Truth Hurts
Sep 03, 2012 07:25am
If I was Fareed Bhai, I would have suggested NFP to keep his own box for the cause he thinks worth. The box was kept for a cause and the contributor knew that they were donating for the same. Hence the money cannot go to a third place. Well done Fareed Bhai. Allah is Pure and accepts pure, this statement fits both the parties as they know their own affairs and objectives. NFP, the charity or good deeds are to be kept secret to attain His (Allah?s) Pleasure so it was not worth mentioning of what you did finally?
Tariq
Sep 02, 2012 10:41am
Great reply, completely agree with you!
Noor Ahmed
Sep 02, 2012 11:35am
No doubt it makes sense... but the same thing, which NFP mentions for madarssas, also goes with giving to beggars that is uncertainity
Syed
Sep 02, 2012 06:19pm
You are right Mr T, writer does not know how Islamic system works.further more what is more precious in the eyes of God,treat the symptoms of a disease or cure the disease by eradicating the cause.what mohhammad (pbuh)did is the right way to follow to cure the disease of any society that spend all your efforts, money and capabilities to set up a fair and equal system then you don't have to struggle to decide. Where to give your charity because the system once corrected or replaced by. Un corrupt system will provide for poor,education and all kind of welfare. That is why. Muhammad never said he came for poor rather he said I came for the oppressed and he changed the then dominating unjust system to a just system and madarsas were tool for that like we have big universities and think tanks in West to keep their system.so it is all out war between two systems now.However you see the big universities in West do not cater any poor for education and take hefty fee toprovide education but these muddarsas do not take fee yet provide free education,dorm facility,clothes and food to these poor and hence they are successful and people like nfp are not.some of these madarsas are corrupt as well but most of them are providing hope to poor in this country where only elite and rich can get education.for nfp info the teachers in madarsas take only few thousand rupees for salary but teachers of western education institutions and also charity organizations including red cross etc spend 90 percent charity on their expenses and only 10percent goes to poor and by the way church, temples,synagogue do the same way collecting funds
KKRoberts
Sep 02, 2012 04:51pm
Very good point.
mughees
Sep 02, 2012 07:40am
Just one thing i wanna say about and i really would love ur reply. These institutions are not supported by government in anyway. There is madrassa near my home where children are given education of English, Urdu and computer. This is being run by typical molvies. The students that study here are those whose parents can\?t afford to send them to school or even to give them two times of meal. However, here they get 3 times food, education on quranic tafseer, nazra, hifz and these subjects. Some of the students are disable as well who are given good treatment. This is solely run by the zakat, khairat etc. While during my stay at bahawlpur and i have been frequently observing them for nearly 15 years, i haven\?t seen any sort of extremism or link with such organization. Not a single child abuse case. This is a backbone for the society like us. Even when this Laal masjid incident took place, the ameer of the molvi was strongly critisizing the masjid\?s administration for collecting so much weapons within mosque. I admit that some of the madrassa\?s are training terrorist but they are very very few in number. If you go to small cities u will see that those children who have no other option to enter into child labor or even worse get admissions here. Get education and get degree equivalent to matric, fsc and sometimes B.A as well and are able to sustain for a good earning and employment. So I think its far much better to give money to these madrassa\?s than to give it to professional beggars who think that begging is there right. If those beggars start to put there energy somewhere else, I think a mass population segment can come above poverty line. I am personally of the view that there should be a policy that these beggars won\?t be allowed to give birth to children because this can result surely in demographic threat rather than demographic dividend for Pakistan
urawal
Sep 02, 2012 07:42am
True charity by the gentelman !...........One by giving the shopkeeper a shock of his life and another by distributing the grocery to the needy. Collecting charity by milking people religious sentiments and wherein the end use is not transparent, is itself a sin.
mansoor
Sep 02, 2012 10:30am
Living in Sargodha, I saw Donation boxes in 1980's at the peak of Afghan war.The money was collected by a group which now is a terrorist organisation. A few of my friends were beaten up when not enough money came out of the box and they had to pay the difference. Jihads changed from Afghan to Kashmir to Mureedke but the boxes remained.This was the first form of Bhata, Jaga or a tax which I was introduced to. Imagine 3000 shops, each being asked to deliver Rs100 per day and bingo, we have a business delivering Rs 300000/ day. All one needs is 3 AK 47, unkempt bearded associates, illegal mosque built on prime land and a fire breathing cleric.
Faiza G R Bhatt
Sep 02, 2012 05:26pm
NFP forever! thank you, thank you, thank you.
Asif
Sep 03, 2012 01:09am
Again, if NFP keeps pointing out the issues that exist in Pakistani society and highlight our distorted view of priorities and religion, instead of blaming Islam - he'd soon have me as a card carrying member of the NFP-admiration society. Very well written !
Nasir
Sep 03, 2012 03:13am
This is nothing new, what Mr Paracha is eluding to is also expressed by Bulleh shah a somewhat differently but same fundamental message "Masjid dha dey, mandir dha dey, dha dey jo wi dhenda...
Debraj
Sep 03, 2012 03:16am
According to your argument, the literacy rate in Pakistan should had been really high. Don't single out the only best case and pretend that it is the rule.
Murthy
Sep 02, 2012 05:29am
I love the taunt and subtle humor that reveal the writer's anger against things which are not good in the present Pakistani society. A typical Paracha column.
sja
Sep 02, 2012 05:20pm
"""""""He didn?t say anything. I picked up my groceries and knowing he would be making holes in my back with his eyes, I began distributing the groceries to the beggars outside. Then chanting ?Allah-o-Akbar?, I sat in my car and drove away. """"""------------ Is this just a coincidence that all charity that one does whether NFP or IK should be so publicized in DAWN, so people get to think what is wrong with these PHILANTRHOPISTS like NFP and IK to do the good and ask for support to make them HEROES so they can lead this poor nation to GOD knows where. In the real world of world they say give charity by your right hand so your left hand does not know and here we read a lengthy column by secularist NFP how he thinks and how he argues for giving anything in charity and people acclaim his genious like"""""" Ghilzai September 2, 2012 7:47 pmYou are beacon of hope in that dogmatic and hopeless Pakistani culture. Please continue the good work of preaching to hatemongers.."""" makes NFP so proud of his charity at the grocery store and one column of DAWN. Reply
Wasim
Sep 02, 2012 03:21pm
Because madrasah's are inciting voilence and hater red in the country.
Asad Jafri
Sep 02, 2012 03:40pm
I have to say I agree with Mr. Shakeel Ahmed. The terms needy and beggar have been used inappropriately and the money collected in that box could have actually been used to buy praying mats, paying for outstanding electricity bills, replacement of mics etc. Coming to my other point, people here have a negative opinion about Medressas because of the ill activities they have been involved in. The Lal Masjid incident and others have made us popularly believe that all Medressas are breeding grounds for extremist groups. Secondly, in the article the person willingly contributes to the boxes labelled SIUT and Shaukat Khanum. My friend, these institutions already receive enormous amounts of funding every month in order to run their businesses whereas a Medressa does not as it doesn't have access to those "sources." A question may also arise as to whether these boxes present in grocery shops actually do belong to those organizations, or are they a clever but unethical way of making money by the shopkeepers?... *sigh*... I wish things were simply black and white in this country
Dhiren
Sep 02, 2012 01:01pm
I think, Pakistan needs a Religious Revolution , salvage the Quranic principles after deweeding them. Then & then only it will take a place of a shining Land of Islam!
Nate Gupta
Sep 02, 2012 07:47am
Nadeemji, I did not realize you were into recycling business too :) Nate Gupta
ahmed41
Sep 02, 2012 07:27am
Hello ~~~~~~by this logic ( presence of MAFIA, etc) it seems to be a difficult choice to donate any money to any person or institution. So what is left ? The RED CROSS ~~~some secular schools ? One does want to be charitable . HOW to do the right thing ?
Cyrus Howell
Sep 02, 2012 07:27am
To say the beggars are a mafia is an excuse. I have heard similar thoughts from some friends in South China. For shop keepers, taxi drivers and others who are asked for money constantly they do get tired of these beggars. The harder they have to work for a living the more they dislike others asking them for money. They can't support the world. The beggars could have a few rupees if they want to sweep the street once every day or wash the shop windows. The contributors to these little boxes in support of madressas believe they are propagating the faith. That secures them a ticket for the Lottery of Eternal Life.
imran
Sep 02, 2012 02:04pm
I dont mind silent boxes in shop's corner but The guy with big loud speaker every Friday in my village is very very annoying even though villagers spent 2000000 too built the mosque for total 5 regular worshipers but for girls primary school nobody gave money.
Pakistan
Sep 04, 2012 06:27pm
Excellent Job...It is the Basic root cause of the terrorism in Pakistan.
Musarat Ali
Sep 02, 2012 11:40am
Reblogged this on #musaratali.
Shakeel Ahmed
Sep 02, 2012 09:39am
I love the way the distinction between a beggar and a poor (needy) person has been overlooked- the terms have been used interchangeably- and medressah's and their purpose of the donation has been narrowed down to construction only. Like someone already mentioned, the money might be used in the madressah to feed the poor and the deserving who spread the word of God instead of begging for money on the streets. When seen through the lens of (extremist) liberalism, even the most obvious good can become vague and anything can be questioned.
Rattan(Sydney)
Sep 03, 2012 06:17am
Tariq bhai the idea of this article is quite different than which Madrassa one should donate or not.Helping the poor and needy is probabaly the foundation of all faith.
Rattan(Sydney)
Sep 03, 2012 06:14am
i have never seen a gurudwara putting charity boxes in shops or asking for donations.however i must admit i rarely go there.I do agree that corruption and misuse of money is rampant in each and every religious organisation.
Rattan(Sydney)
Sep 03, 2012 06:06am
Nadeem sahab,excellent writing and thoughts.you made my day.
Arshad
Sep 02, 2012 04:58am
Pathetic article, and pathetic exhibition of your dogmatic ideology NFP.
Karachi Wala
Sep 02, 2012 02:45pm
Even so, have you and rest of us learnt anything from it?
Rizwan ul hasan khan
Sep 02, 2012 05:03am
A very wonderful article that can be written by only Paracha type brave journalists................ In my area.... An area of 120 sq. yd houses a mosque and madrassa are collecing money for construction for last 30 years......... and even the Wizu khaana has not yet been constructed........ the building is also same as before 30 years constructed by the donation of Iraqi Safeer Mr. Jeelani............ In the huge lawn of mosque a 4 storied building has been constructed having eight luxury apartments........... for Moulvi sahab and their staff................. I think it is the first time that a plaza has been constructed in any mosque lawn........ In jumma Khutaba, they announced that one crore and sixty lacs has been invested for it and now they need money for its finishing works................. It has also been announced that after its completion the construction of wazu khana will be started.............. whereas a building just adjacent to mosque wall having three storied ( G+ 2 ) could be purchased just for only sixty lacs with all facilities.............. But no one has courage to ask this ...even I myself as they have a force of well trained force of Madrassa students .
Nasir Baloch
Sep 05, 2012 05:08am
Nadeem sahab well done, this is the place from where the extremists and militants collect their operational money.and use our innocent kids for their nefarious cause.
Haidery
Sep 03, 2012 02:35am
It is a big deal because these madrassas dole out education of hatred and then these kids become suicide bombers and blow up innocent civilians. Very simple!
MOHAMMAD
Sep 02, 2012 03:28pm
well written dear nadeem. i love it. really true way to serve god is to serve his suffering masses. that is teaching of our religion. even remving an stone obstacle from the path of public is a sadqa. even you can demolish a mosque if it comes in the way of expansion of road. public interest is very important in our deen. we should re-organise our ideas in this direction. so much our energy is wasted in our barelvi- deobandi, hanafi-shafi, sunni-shia discussion. let us use this time in doing something constructive . ALAAH WILL BE HAPPY. INALLAHA QAREEBUL MINAL MOHSINEEN.=QURAN. we should pray also but madarassa should meant for leartning basics and not creating division.
yawar
Sep 02, 2012 12:51pm
Mughees, congratulations on churning out the usual apologetic argument in support of madressas. Even a million Lal Masjid like episodes won't be enough for people like you to notice the fraud and fanaticism these madressas are all about. Keep sleeping.
sb
Sep 02, 2012 05:22pm
When you have an original thought or experience (as this article describes), please share that too.
Muhammad Siddiq
Sep 02, 2012 12:56pm
Everyday we find maulwis asking donations for madressas in busses of Karachi and I suppose most of them are fake. It is rather easiest way of collecting money from poor people. Nadeem has rightly pointed out ills and wrongdoings of Maulwis.
umer
Sep 02, 2012 08:26am
Haven't we seen gangs of little boys blocking main roads and demanding money for these madressas. Or a random guy boarding a public bus extolling for donation for the construction of a mosque or madressa about which the passengers know nothing.