ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court asked the advocate general of Balochistan on Thursday to submit by July 31 a joint statement by all the authorities concerned about the implementation of its orders relating to recovery of missing persons and establishment of the writ of law in the strife-torn province.
A three-judge bench comprising Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry, Justice Jawwad S. Khawaja and Justice Khilji Arif Hussain is hearing a petition on the law and order situation and human rights violations in Balochistan.
Advocate General Amanullah Kinrani submitted a statement in compliance with Wednesday’s court order, but the bench objected to its contents relating to missing persons and told him to get the statement signed by the home secretary, Balochistan IG and other relevant authorities.
The chief justice observed that the statement showed no commitment on missing persons’ issue. Mr Kinrani submitted an amended statement which also was rejected. The court said it should by signed by the inspector general of Frontier Corps and home secretary.
The chief justice asked the advocate general when the no-go areas in Dera Bugti would end. Mr Kinrani said only people with arms were not allowed in the area but the locals had certain tribal complex issues.
The CJ said the authorities should not allow a single bullet in the area but remove restriction on mass movement.
“Get the document signed or produce your law-enforcement personnel nominated in FIRs and we will get them arrested,” the CJ told the advocate general. He ordered that all missing persons be recovered and produced before the court. Otherwise, he warned, the court would say something through its verdict.
“We have reached a stage where everything has been identified. We are now providing them (authorities) an opportunity,” the chief justice said. He said he had come to know that the prime minister had formed a core committee on the Balochistan issue which was a good thing and the court appreciated it.
Raja Mohammad Irshad, the counsel for FC IG, rejected claims that FC personnel had been nominated in complaints. He objected to the mode of reporting in a news item carried out by a leading English daily over Wednesday’s court proceedings.
Justice Jawwad said that Supreme Court Bar Association President Yaseen Azad had said something about the Balochistan issue with full responsibility before the court, but he did not want the press to report it.
“Today we have gone through parliament’s debate in which certain remarks were passed against us but we never bothered it. We are in public domain and receive salary from the public exchequer. How can we say that we are not accountable?” he asked. Justice Jawwad reminded the counsel that media had reported many things which were unpleasant at times, but it was the essence of a free society.
The court adjourned the hearing till July 31 with an observation that an incomplete statement would amount to misleading the court.—APP