Dawn News

Waqar out of contention for Australia job

"I was interested but it didn't work out between me and Cricket Australia," Waqar said.  -Photo by AFP

KARACHI: Pakistan's former coach Waqar Younis has said that talks with Cricket Australia (CA) about a coaching job have not been successful, ESPNCricinfo reported.

CA was in talks with Waqar to replace bowling coach Craig McDermott who quit after Australia's tour of West Indies in May. However, Waqar revealed that the talks had failed and he was not in contention for the position anymore.

"I was interested but it didn't work out between me and Cricket Australia," Waqar told ESPNcricinfo.

Waqar, who resigned as Pakistan’s coach last year citing personal reasons, is based in Sydney and was eager to work with the Australia team.

Waqar, who took 373 Test wickets in a 14-year career, said what he was offering was different from what CA was looking for.

Talking about other upcoming projects, he said he will be coaching a team in the Sri Lanka Premier League followed by the Twenty20 World Cup where he will be involved with the commentary.

Jul 26, 2012 12:52pm
Yes and send us please Tendulkar to coach our very mediocre batsmen :-) Btw Wasim was in India and gave Pathan some training...however with time he lost his pace and lost his running agility. I just wonder why?
Jul 26, 2012 05:23pm
Not any more. Pakistan lost its edge on India as far as Pace bowling is concerned. Umesh Yadav and Vinay Aron are genuine fast bowlers and, coupled with Zaheer Khan form a better attack than Umar Gul or Wahab Riaz or Junaid. Inspite of recent drubbing in Australia and England, team India is better than Pakistan team.
Faraz Khan
Jul 25, 2012 02:33pm
I guess CA had second thoughts after investigating the past of Mr.Waqar Younus and coming up with favoritism, groupings, turning a blind eye to match fixing and many more short comings. But there is always PCB and old connections.
Jul 26, 2012 03:58pm
Well most of really have no Idea what you guys are talking about.Waqar is a Class .So guys come out from personal attack. Show some Unity AND BACK HIM . MAY ALLAH GIVE US UNITY .
Jul 26, 2012 03:28pm
at his height in 1990-91 Waqar was the best bowler Pakistan ever produced, better than Imran and Wasim, leagues ahead of the overrated Shoaib Akhtar. Sadly his peak did not last more than a couple of years, due to back injury. Before that he was utterly awesome rated number #1 in the world by the world rankings above likes of Ambrose and Donald, made you proud to call yourself Pakistani. give him his due respect guys.
Jul 27, 2012 07:05pm
Jul 26, 2012 04:17am
I wonder what Waqar was offering which CA did not want? Will CA not like to know about reverse swing. Attacking bowling? out swingers? .... I wonder if they are looking for a spin bowling coach... Hire Mushi !!
Jul 26, 2012 10:36am
OK. Then YOU come forward to be their bowling coach.
Jul 26, 2012 01:57am
I recommend Waqar be hired by Indian Team. India never had the bowling power that Pakistan always has
Jul 26, 2012 05:20am
I wonder what waqar was offering which was different from what Cricket Australia wanted? Reverse Swing, Yokers, attacking bowling, Pace? Fitness??? I wonder if cricket Australia is thinking of getting Mushtaq Ahmed as bowling coach?
Jul 26, 2012 06:41am
Waqar does not even cut the mustard to become Pakistan bowling coach. He is not a coaching material.
Jul 26, 2012 08:31am
If that's the case than most of Pakitanis would become automatically ineligible for any post anywhere.