Afridi returns to Big Bash, hopes to be successful

Published Jul 23, 2012 08:49am

Afridi played in the inaugural BBL last year with the Melbourne Renegades. -File photo

SYDNEY: Pakistani all-rounder Shahid Afridi and West Indies’ Chris Gayle have signed to play in Australia's domestic Twenty20 competition for the Sydney Thunder, the team said Monday.

Gayle is returning to the team where last season he smashed an unbeaten century off 54 deliveries, including 11 sixes, against Adelaide and who finished the competition with an average of 42 for the Thunder with 252 runs.

“After my experience last year, I always wanted to return,” said the West Indian who hit the most sixes in the Big Bash League last season with 22.

“I love Sydney, so I cannot wait to get amongst the guys again.”

Afridi played in the inaugural BBL last year with the Melbourne Renegades, finishing among the league's top 10 wicket-takers and posting a respectable average of 23 with the bat.

“I was approached by a few teams in the BBL and opted for Sydney Thunder as I feel there is a real drive and passion to be successful this time around, and this is something I want to be part of,” Afridi said.

The eight-team BBL begins on December 7.

impala
Jul 23, 2012 10:32am
".....Sydney Thunder as I feel there is a real drive and passion to be successful.." Afridi you dont have the temperament to perform.
Syed Jafri
Jul 23, 2012 04:49pm
it is money more then drive and passion.
Ammar Qazi
Jul 23, 2012 09:59am
That will be Awesome!
Concerned Netizen
Jul 23, 2012 02:51pm
Since when did the average of 23 become respectable for a proper batsman? It is actually a respectable average for ordinary batsmen.
Saeed Khan
Jul 27, 2012 06:59am
yea u r right thats y franchises all over the world wish to sign him. And offcourse every one wants to invest in finished things. Joke of the century.
Pakistan Classified
Jul 23, 2012 09:05am
Gyale and Afridi both are playing for thunders, This is gonna make the things tough for all the teams :)
Abubakr
Jul 23, 2012 12:19pm
"Afridi..finishing among the league’s top 10 wicket-takers and posting a respectable average of 23 with the bat." Temperament?
Sukhbir Maggu
Jul 23, 2012 12:16pm
Shahid, all the best to you. I hope like you other players from your Pakistani team get a chance to show their wares as well.
mustang
Jul 23, 2012 11:49am
sniff sniff ... I smell something burning.... Hmmm...
porkchop
Jul 23, 2012 12:31pm
Afridi is finsihed, it is time for him to hang his boots up!
Waqas
Jul 23, 2012 04:55pm
Gayle is the out standing player in this current world, he can hit every bowler in this cricketing world. But if we talk about afridi he is just a failure for Pakistan team for last couple of months he should have retire from cricket and shd take part in advertisements he is good there. Please leave the space for new and good players.....
Syed
Jul 23, 2012 09:03pm
I saw what he did in BBL last year, Shahid sb. please save us the embaressment, we pakistanis cannot go to those games.
Toqeer
Jul 23, 2012 10:37pm
I dont watch much cricket, but started to lately and like it. :) Come on Afridi seen him play alot on the international stage, he is very good.
Angel
Jul 24, 2012 01:04am
nothing is burning. only indians are burning here.
Redwan
Jul 24, 2012 04:59am
Afridi is the best, go a head Afridi our prays are with you, you are in our prayers and thought, don't take care of those who are blinds and can't see your supper batting and bowling.
Mike S Donald
Jul 24, 2012 08:33pm
Afridi will be successful in Australia due $ factor. He will not be consistent in Pakistan Team. Australia will pay BIG $ and Afridi will do better. This is all $ game.
Karachi Wala
Jul 25, 2012 12:38pm
After many retiring not retiring dramas, Afridi picked on Ramzan program drama and now he claims "Sydney Thunder as I feel there is a real drive and passion to be successful this time around, and this is something I want to be part of,” Afridi said." What is next?
Karachi Wala
Jul 25, 2012 12:34pm
Agree.
Saeed Khan
Jul 26, 2012 07:38am
He is a bowling all rounder. So for a bowling all rounder to be bracketed amongst top 10 bowlers and averaging 23 with that bat is not bad. And its upto the franchise to decide who they pick, if they are willing to pick and pay him, who are we to be talking about what he should and what should not?