QUETTA, July 17: Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani has said that some sections and elements are trying to pave the way for an extra-constitutional action and accused the media, particularly TV channels, of presenting a gloomy picture about the law and order situation in Balochistan.

“People may not be aware of it, but I know who is behind all this,” he said at a meeting here on Tuesday.

He said that security situation in the province was linked to international conspiracies.

Home Minister Mir Zafarullah Zahri, Finance Minister Mir Asim Kurd, Chief Secretary Babar Yaqoob Fateh Mohammad and divisional commissioners attended the meeting which discussed the law and order situation, threats of floods after monsoon rains and price control during Ramazan.

Nawab Raisani said that providing security to Nato containers was not the responsibility of the provincial government because it did not have adequate resources to do this job.

Home Secretary Nasibullah Bazai informed the meeting that a letter had been sent to the federal government stating that the provincial government could not provide protection to Nato supplies.

The federal government has been asked to provide additional resources—weapons, vehicles and 30 platoons of Frontier Constabulary. He said the centre was yet to respond to the request.

The chief minister directed the officials concerned to take action against elements involved in smuggling people to Iran via Balochistan.

“Agents, transporters and local people involved in human smuggling should be brought to book,” he said, adding that all possible steps should be taken to eradicate the menace.

He said the next meeting of the federal task force on human and drug smuggling should be held in Quetta and the provincial departments concerned should be given representation in the force.

He said the matter should also be taken up in the next meeting of the Pakistan-Iran border commission.

The meeting was informed that nine people had been arrested in connection with the killing of 18 people in Turbat on July 6.

Nawab Raisani ordered joint operations by police and Levies against gangs involved in kidnapping for ransom and other crimes.

He said that the charge-sheet against terrorists should be submitted in courts along with strong evidence to get the terrorists convicted and punished.

The meeting was informed that the authorities concerned were in contact with Pakistan Army and discussing the matter of demining the district of Dera Bugti and there will soon be progress in this regard.

The meeting discussed the problem of water shortage in Gwadar and the chief minister said that steps should be taken to solve the problem in the country’s future commercial hub.

The meeting was informed that work had started on a project of laying a pipeline from Suntsar to Gwadar at a cost of Rs270 million for supplying water to the city.


Do you have information you wish to share with Dawn.com? You can email our News Desk to share news tips, reports and general feedback. You can also email the Blog Desk if you have an opinion or narrative to share, or reach out to the Special Projects Desk to send us your Photos, or Videos.

More From This Section

Comments (0) (Closed)