I HAVE been a resident of Dubai, UAE, since 2008 and work at a multinational company in a senior management position. I recently applied for a business visa to Indonesia for an official visit. I had the invitation letter from my company’s Indonesia office.

However, the officials at the Indonesian consulate general in Dubai informed me that it would take up to a month to know if my visa request has been accepted or rejected.

When asked about the reason why nationals of countries like Iran or India get visa on arrival and Pakistanis have to wait for so long without the surety for the visa issuance, the consulate employee replied that “your government needs to take it up with our government.”

While Pakistani expatriates are expected to serve Pakistan by sending remittances back home, the government doe not help them.

I have a right to ask the government why they are not approaching the foreign ministries of countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Vietnam, etc., asking them to make the visa issuance for Pakistanis more lenient, especially for professionals like myself who have a permanent residency of the UAE and wish to travel on business but still suffer because we carry a green passport?

Should I act like many other Pakistani expatriates and acquire a new passport for the sake of carrying more respect abroad? I love my country, but the apathy of our government towards Pakistani expatriates is forcing me to give a serious consideration for getting a second passport.

NAME WITHHELD ON REQUEST Dubai

Afghan election: a people’s victory

AFGHAN election, on April 5, was a day of triumph for all Afghans, including women, who played their due role with...

Ending power crisis

Energy resources are the backbone of economic development of any country. Pakistan has been facing the problem of...

Waste-to-energy

THIS is apropos Khunsha Khalid’s letter ‘Waste-to-energy’ (March 28) and mixed comments thereon by some...

CCI and Sindh

THE Chamber of Commerce and Industries’ meeting was recently held at which Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif tried to...

Comments are closed.

Comments (31)

Syed Ahmed
July 16, 2012 4:31 am
Our corrupt government officials and politicians have easy access all over the world, why should they worry about others. They are not here to serve people but to be served.
saein
July 16, 2012 11:12 am
saein to saein, saein ka passport bhi saein
Aneez
July 16, 2012 5:08 am
Exactly...It seems that no one wants Pakistanis in their country.The green passport is really a "Fail"port definitely not a passport.When Indonesia is supposed to be such a good friend then why this discrimination,Indians get visa on arrival
SHEHZAD
July 16, 2012 11:46 am
All this discussion is useless, pakistani prime-minister said it on record: why don't you leave. So answer is clear from pakistani government GO AND SETTLE SOMEWHERE ELSE---NOT PAKISTAN.
Husain Jan
July 16, 2012 7:15 am
Our ambassador in UAE or any other country can and should take up such issues to help pak residents. However, as widely believed - they - most of them are there on political grounds (sifarish) and so damn care about this matter or any thing to look after / solve the problems of his fellow pakistanis. It is thus clear that when our govt is not interested how its men can be expected to solve problems.
Sunny
July 16, 2012 3:55 am
You are a Pakistani.That"s it! No further questions!!! World knows it, don:t pretend you don:t know.
tahir malik
July 16, 2012 4:44 am
you are asking help from govt of pakistan? you need atleast be a vedera to do that?
ali ahmed
July 16, 2012 2:06 pm
true
ali ahmed
July 16, 2012 2:10 pm
our politician and officials only think how to make quick money....they have no time for pakistani people
Nono
July 16, 2012 2:18 pm
You expats suffer becoz we dont like you having a good time. Jokes aside, our dilemma or better your dilemma is becoz of your elected government and the way they have handled the verious problems at home. Ergo: dont vote for them ever again, vote for Imran Khan.
Nirmal Singh
July 16, 2012 11:51 am
If, with a Pakistani passport, you have problem getting visa for countries like Indonesia, believe me, you will not get a Dubai citizenship either.
Guest
July 16, 2012 11:49 am
Have you raised voice against terrorist being nurtured and supported against other countries ever in Pakistan or abroad. The answer would be resounding no. We as countries and societies reap the rewards and suffer as well collectively for conscious decisions the nation or society takes over period of time. It is important to introspect and correct course in Pakistan before pointing fingers at the world and live in a victim mentality. Pakistani society has to realise that radicalisation and terror have a very high price tag.
Sam
July 16, 2012 7:54 am
You must have already saved too much money in UAE (tax free).UAE is closer to Pakistan and its comfortable muslim environment.Why do you want to goto Indonesia or any country now?Life in western countries is indeed difficult,far from Pakistan and tax etc. but foreign passport is the lifelong reward.No risk no gain buddy.
malik
July 16, 2012 5:46 am
Living in UAE you cannot get any other passport. Sorry.
Naeem
July 16, 2012 9:15 am
Very unfortunate being a Pakistani, and same case when you intend to travel to Europe it takes 15 to 20 days even you have been traveled to Europe several times while other Asian countries people get their visa stamped withing couple of day.
Ali
July 16, 2012 6:26 am
Very true.
Shadeslayer
July 16, 2012 6:27 am
Two things my friend 1. these mullahs and tableeghi types who like the good lifestyle of west, but hate the values that helped create it bring a bad name to the country. Wanna live the "model Islamic life"? Stay in Pakistan, or better yet move to Afghanistan. 2. Our pathetic government. They are least bit concerned about welfare of Pakistanis living inside Pakistan, let alone outside. Apathy is the word.
Hamad Raza
July 16, 2012 6:53 am
I would like to share my experience too. I was in the same situation I was working in UAE for a European Multinational Company. I was senior employee with management responsibilities of a Business Unit and whenever there is a business trip coming I had to wait for 15 days where as my other colleagues of South Asia were getting the visa within 24 hours. My Boss once just mentioned as a joke to change your passport and I said I will not do so. My views are changing with the passage of time. In my opinion the biggest loss that Pakistan can suffer is the faith and confidence of Pakistanis on their country. May Allah bless our country and guide the people who are/will be in power to do something good for our country.
Paksitani
July 16, 2012 6:57 am
We (Pakistanis) are also suffering in Kuwait with the ban on all kind of visas for pakistanis the officials in Kuwait have one thing to say "let pakistani officials talk to us" But we (Pakitanis) have been left by our elected leaders to suffer
Syed
July 16, 2012 8:11 am
I agree with the author
Jawwad
July 16, 2012 3:08 pm
LOL, try getting an Indian Visa on Pakistani passport with US nationality. I have been waiting to hear from Embassy of India for over 6 months now.
Mohammad , Canada
July 16, 2012 3:39 pm
Normally, Dubai (UAE) does not give nationality to any other country's national except UAE born to. UAE national.
Guru
July 16, 2012 3:45 pm
Couple of years back, the Indonesians suspected a couple of Pakistani preachers, who departed the country a few days before the Bali bombings & hence the issue with visas. Pak society has to react decisively against the TJ type fellows, till then there is no redemption.
Cobrajock
July 16, 2012 3:53 pm
While I respect your predicament over the visa issue. If you are willing to change passports for this petty matter, please dont waste any more time GO!
Taxla
July 16, 2012 4:56 pm
Allah does not help those who do not help themselves. People wanted democracy, they got it, good or bad now live with it and try change it at next upcoming elections. Good Luck.
Capt Mansur
July 16, 2012 4:59 pm
i agree with Shadeslayer. Maybe the author himself is a support of the mullah and Tableeghees. Maybe now he and the world realises the price tag of Extremism/Nepotism/Mismanagment/Corruption/Fanatism and so on what we pakistanis are famous for.
cameo
July 16, 2012 6:56 pm
I travel to turkey quite a bit and they have a relatively favorable system where if you have a valid visa of UK, US or any other EU country they give you the visa on the airport.
Anonymous
July 17, 2012 1:07 pm
Second time visit visa arranged by an agent base in Jakarta less than a week and for sure you guys will be shock to knowing the service charges US$ 800 paid for arranging telex approval under my wife sponsorship that never went to Jakarta and didn’t attend any personal interview. Yes, what a corrupt almost all Asian countries!!! My personal feelings I’m NOT enough to change this corrupt system and I could try but I love her more everyday and she’s PRICELESS. Money is making ways in Asian countries and this is my personal experience many times…what about urs???
Anonymous
July 17, 2012 1:06 pm
With sadness in my heart, I can say that we are the victim of our country IMAGE. Well, as I know by my personal experience some of specific countries included Pakistani passport holder wish to visit Indonesia is requested to get “approval entry / telex visa” from Indonesian immigration head office in Jakarta before traveling and processing telex visa would need a sponsorship (for facing personal interview in Jakarta) from Indonesia but still need two months for approval or rejection. First time I have been visited to Indonesia on February, 2011 and faced very hard time in order to arrange visit visa for Indonesia even I was held by the immigration officer for special clarifications in Indonesia airport (Medan airport).
J.S.Hussain
July 16, 2012 9:09 pm
How true!
Bilal
July 16, 2012 11:47 pm
Why is this a surprise at all? First of all matters like these are nowhere on govt priority list if they have one at all. Second we have no one but ourselves to blame for this. Bad things happen whereever we go, it's a sad fact.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Cartoons