MANSEHRA, June 30: Executive district officer of health, Torghar, Dr Mohammad Idrees has said that measles outbreak has left two children dead and many others affected in the district.
“We have sent two medical teams to the affected areas to administer vaccine to children. So far, two children have fallen prey to measles and many others are suffering from the disease,” Mr Idrees told a press conference here on Saturday.
The briefing was arranged in connection with three-day polio vaccination campaign to be started from July 16, but it mainly focused on ways to control spread of measles in Torghar district.
Dr Idrees said that cases of measles were being reported in Daray, Zamlay, Larri and Todum villages where two teams, headed by Dr Zahid, were busy treating the affected children besides administering vaccine to other children.
The EDO said that there was no disease early warning system in Torghar. He said that there were nine basic health units in the district, two of which had been destroyed in October 2005 earthquake. He said that nine medical technicians were recently appointed for vaccination of children in the district.
“So far no rural health centre has been established and the task of routine vaccination in the area is hardly accomplished, which results in outbreak of diseases,” said Dr Idrees.
He said that polio vaccination drive would be started in the district from July 16 and 261 teams would administer polio vaccine to over 37,789 children.
Speaking on the occasion, country coordinator of National Research and Development Foundation Maulana Waseeur Rehman claimed that because of support extended by local jirga and ulema all refusal cases in Torghar had been covered.
He said that following two positive cases of polio in the district early last year, they had been making efforts in collaboration with the health department to reach all children for ensuring their vaccination.