A Turkish Air Force F-4 war plane fires during a military exercise in Izmir, in this May 26, 2010 file photo. Turkey lost a F-4 warplane, similar to the one pictured, over the Mediterranean on June 22, 2012, but Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said in his first public comments, he could not say whether the plane had crashed or been shot down. REUTERS
A Turkish Air Force F-4 war plane fires during a military exercise in Izmir, in this May 26, 2010 file photo. — Photo  Reuters

ANKARA: Turkey will take steps “with determination”and “within international law” after Syria downed one of its military jets over the eastern Mediterranean, its top security council said Thursday.

The National Security Council, which brings Turkey's top civilian and military officials together, convened almost a week after Syrian air defences shot down the Turkish F-4 Phantom jet.

A written statement released soon after the meeting said that the incident was discussed “in detail,” and added that Turkey would act “with determination by reserving all of its rights born out of international law in the face of this hostile act.”

Earlier in the day, local media reported that Turkey has sent missile batteries, tanks and troops to the border with Syria as a “security corridor.”But there was no official confirmation of the moves.

On Tuesday, Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan dubbed its former ally Syria a “clear and imminent threat,” hinting at a harsher retaliation for any future border violations.


Do you have information you wish to share with Dawn.com? You can email our News Desk to share news tips, reports and general feedback. You can also email the Blog Desk if you have an opinion or narrative to share, or reach out to the Special Projects Desk to send us your Photos, or Videos.

Comments (0) Closed