Afghan President Hamid Karzai (CL) shakes hands with Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar (CR) after taking part in the group photo at the conclusion of the Heart of Asia Ministerial Conference at the Foreign Affairs Ministry in Kabul on June 14, 2012.—AFP Photo

KABUL: Pakistan on Thursday called again for an apology for a Nato cross-border strike that killed two dozen of its soldiers last year before it considers reopening supply routes to foreign troops in Afghanistan.    

Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar, speaking to reporters in the Afghan capital Kabul, also rejected reports that Pakistan was haggling with the United States over transportation fees for the supplies.

“Pakistan still wants an unconditional apology and the reassurance that the Salala type of incident does not happen again,” she said, referring to the border area where the incident took place.

The supply lines for goods shipped to the Pakistani port of Karachi and trucked to Afghanistan have been vital for US-led forces in their involvement in the landlocked country, a conflict now in its eleventh year.

Now, the routes are seen as important for the withdrawal of most foreign troops from Afghanistan before the end of 2014.

The United States has rebuffed Pakistan’s demands for an apology for the air strike in November and last week Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said the United States was at the limits of its patience over the existence of safe havens for militants in Pakistan who were carrying out attacks in Afghanistan.

Khar said Pakistan was not supporting any militant group and that it was doing whatever it could to advance the peace process in Afghanistan which she said must be “Afghan-led, Afghan-owned.”

More From This Section

Army to take over security of polio teams in KP

The decision was announced after a meeting at the GHQ attended by the representatives of WHO, federal and KP govt

Negotiators will try to convince TTP to extend ceasefire: Ibrahim

Ibrahim said a number of concerns from the TTP's end had come forward, adding that these should be addressed.

Four mobile operators qualify for 3G, 4G auction

Meanwhile, a Senate sub-committee on IT recommended the cancellation of the licens auction process.

Balochistan situation has deteriorated, says BNP-M

Dr Jamaldini regretted that during the nine months of the PML-N govt, no change has been witnessed in the province.


Comments are closed.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll
From The Newspaper
Tweets