KARACHI, May 26: A court issued on Saturday warrants for the arrest of two leaders of the banned People’s Aman Committee and an alleged member of the proscribed Balochistan Liberation Army in illicit weapons cases.
The court directed the police to apprehend Uzair Baloch, Noor Mohammad alias Baba Ladla and Rehmatullah and produce them in court by May 28.
The CID police filed charge-sheets in court against Saifullah Bugti, Shamsuddin Bugti and Abdul Ghaffar Bugti, said to be BLA militants, and named the banned PAC leaders as absconders.
The police claimed to have detained the three suspects in the Shershah area on May 7 and alleged that the explosive stuff and illicit weapons were found in their possessions and they were involved in supplying arms and ammunition to criminals associated with the Lyari gang warfare.
The charge-sheets said that Saifullah and Abdul Ghaffar had recorded their confessional statements under Section 164 of the criminal procedure code before a judicial magistrate on May 16 and confessed that Rehmatullah had been supplying arms and ammunition to them from Balochistan for long and they delivered the same to Noor Mohammad and Uzair Baloch.
A judicial magistrate (west) accepted the charge-sheets for hearing and issued non-bailalbe warrants for the arrest of the absconders with a direction to police to arrest and produce them in court by May 28 Two case were registered against the suspects under Section 4/5 of the Explosive Substance Act as well as under Section 13-D of the Pakistan Arms Ordinance, 1965.
Suspect charged in Saudi consulate attack case
An anti-terrorism court indicted on Saturday a man in a case pertaining to a grenade attack on the Saudi consulate.
The man, Zaki Kazmi, has been booked for allegedly carrying out the attack in May last year while his accomplice Asif Manu, said to have mastermind the attack, was killed after an armed encounter in Gulistan-i-Jauhar in November.
Judge Ghulam Mustafa Memon of the ATC-III, who is conducting the trial, read out charges against the accused. However, he pleaded not guilty and opted to contest the case.
The court put off the hearing till July 2 for the evidence of prosecution witnesses since the defence counsel requested the court for a long adjournment because of his engagements abroad.
According to the prosecution, two grenades were hurled at the Saudi consulate in the Defence Housing Authority on May 11, 2011, which did not cause any causality, but damaged some windowpanes of a mosque inside the consulate. A police team raided a residential complex, Rabia City, in Gulistan-i-Jauhar to arrest the alleged mastermind, but he opened fire on the police and tried to escape and during an exchange of fire, suffered bullet wounds and died, it added.
A case (FIR 155/11) was registered under Section 3/4 of the Explosive Substance Act read with Section 7 of the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997 at the Gizri police station.