Shabnam amazed by new-look Karachi

Published Apr 25, 2012 12:35am

Shabnam meeting Ishrat-ul-Ibad on her trip to Pakistan
Dr Ishrat-ul-Ibad Khan with renowned actress, Shabnam and her husband Robin Ghosh during their meeting at Governor House in Karachi.—PPI Photo

KARACHI: Not acting in movies anymore may have put years on her, but film star Shabnam sounds just as sprightly and full of life as when she was the heartthrob of millions of filmgoers in the subcontinent.

The famous actress now lives in Bangladesh. She is these days visiting Pakistan with her husband, music composer Robin Ghosh.

Talking to Dawn on Tuesday, Shabnam sounded pleasantly surprised being in Karachi.

“I feel great in Karachi. It has completely changed. It has become more beautiful (khoobsurat). When I landed here on Monday, it felt as if I was somewhere abroad (kisi bahar ke mulk mein hoon).” By abroad she obviously meant western countries.

It was more than a decade back that the actress last visited Pakistan. A lot has changed ever since. Pakistan has been fighting a war against terror.

Shabnam spent a major part of her life in West Pakistan. On the question of Pakistan’s sociopolitical turmoil her response was: “It feels bad when we hear sad news coming out of Pakistan. As human beings it pains us, saddens us.”

Being an actress, top-notch at that, Shabnam expressed concern about the present state of the Pakistan film industry.

Shabnam said, “its standard has gone down gradually. It has not happened overnight. I think the government should support the film industry."

"It should give loans to producers. We have done that in Bangladesh. The Bangladeshi government provides producers with finances through a proper system and it has worked well for its film fraternity. It helps and encourages producers and filmmakers,” she added.

Shabnam no longer works in films. But as they say, once an actor, always an actor. She commented: “The last film that I did was I think 12 years ago. It was made in Bangladesh and its title was Amma Jaan. I was the central character in the movie. It was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful film. With regard to your query why don’t I work now, the answer is God has blessed me a lot. I’m enjoying my life.”

Replying to the question as to what were her cherished memories when she worked in Pakistani films, Shabnam remarked: “There are so many of them. I can’t tell you in one single chitchat session. Some of the people I worked with have passed away. I admire a lot of them. A few names that come to my mind are Pervaiz Malik, Nazarul Islam, S Suleiman and Javed Fazil. All are/were very good.”

In recent times, Bollywood has taken the subcontinent’s cinema lovers by storm. Bollywod films are watched in Bangladesh too.

On the issue of the Indian film industry’s comparison with Pakistan and Bangladeshi industries, Shabnam opined: “They spend humungous amounts of money on their films. We can’t invest that kind of money in our movies. Besides, our market is much smaller than theirs.”

Couldn’t Bangladesh and Pakistan have a joint film venture? “Why not? I think such an initiative was taken in the past, but for some reason it could not materialise.”

Earlier in the day, Shabnam along with Robin Ghosh went to PTV Karachi office and took part in a live morning show. Later on she visited the Governor’s House and met the governor of Sindh where they discussed steps that the government had taken to support singer Mehdi Hasan and actor Lehri. Shabnam also paid a visit to Lehri sahib and inquired after his health.

Jails security tightened

KARACHI: With the death warrants being issued for the execution of some condemned prisoners belonging to banned...

romasa
Apr 26, 2012 09:10am
Greatt !!!
Sikander
Apr 26, 2012 02:03am
Shabnum Pakistan is your home, welcome back. We love you from deep of our heart. You are our soul, our pride. May God bless you all happiness of life. We welcome Mr. Robin as wel.
Kdspirited
Apr 25, 2012 03:23pm
Shabnam and Robin Ghosh the golden era of our film industry.
Hikayat shah
Apr 26, 2012 08:52am
Respected MRS.shabnum and MR. rubin gush the unforgettable Artists for millions of Pakistanis Mrs. Shuab num since your exit from the country the country film lovers has lost not only big ICON, but also lost to watch good films your Arrival in Pakistan re fresh's the memory of your charming artistic time.
Rizwan
Apr 25, 2012 01:44pm
Parhlo Mustafa kamal ko bura kehne walon Parh lo Mustufa kamal ne karachi ko kaha se kaha pohchadia
abdul
Apr 27, 2012 03:48pm
They have contributed a lot to Pakistan's film industry and we are very grateful for that.
ali khan
Apr 25, 2012 08:20am
Assets of this country...
janbazz
Apr 25, 2012 10:51pm
yeha she seems to be complacent that she is not in pakistan but in bangladesh !
imran Azmat
Apr 25, 2012 05:21pm
i think shabnam should be dis appointed to see Pakistan in this horrible condition
Shams Khan
Apr 25, 2012 07:38am
I can't recognize Shabnam and Robin Ghosh while comparing to the then Shabnam and Robin Ghosh of Chanda, Talash and Juwar Alo??? They should must become the parts of struggling to open the pace of bar between Pakistani and Bangladeshi films for viewing in the theaters of both our friendly countries. I pray for that!!!!
farrukhqadir
Apr 25, 2012 07:32am
Shabnam aur RobinGosh ko dake ker poorani yadain taza ho gain bohath khooshi horahi
Hiba
Apr 26, 2012 07:12am
love u madam shabnam!
Dilawar
Apr 25, 2012 06:31am
Welcome home. Shabnam and Robin. We love you very much.
Nadeem Ahmed
Apr 26, 2012 06:56am
I think i have sense of association with this lady. My name is nadeem and in my childhood, a lot of people have asked me this after knowing my name, "Nadeem, tumhari shabnam kahan hai".
skylak
Apr 25, 2012 09:57am
.you killed the bird and its songs without knowing that the songs were written for you-upanishad
Faisal Merchant
Apr 26, 2012 08:44am
Shabnam Ji : you have left ever lasting memories & still lives in our Heart, wishing you ever lasting Happiness
javed
Apr 25, 2012 12:34pm
Shabnam is a great lady. Her Greatness's example is her visit & meeting old colleagues & pleading their cases at all levels.
Khan
Apr 25, 2012 09:48am
Shabnam is our Great Actress, we never forget her, we love her.
Saad
Apr 25, 2012 10:02am
It is so nice to see the couple visiting Pakistan, we all welcome them and really appreciate their gesture
Cyrus Howell
Apr 25, 2012 04:00pm
You all can have Shabnam and I'll take Mumaith Khan. Time will pass all of us by.
a pakistani
Apr 25, 2012 12:23pm
welcome back to the country that gave you a name! :)
MUHAMMAD IJAZ
Apr 25, 2012 10:34am
SHABNUM SAHBAH, SALAM AAP KO , DILI DUA HAY ALLAH AAP KO SALAMAT RAKHAY , AAP NAY MUASHARAY MAIN JIS ANDAZ MAIN KAM KI HAY , HAR AATMI AZIT KI NIGAH SAY DEKHTA HAY, AAP KO DEKH KAR HAR INSAN SAY AAP KA NAM LAY TA HAY , ALLAH KI TARAF SAY AAP KAY LEYA BARA INAM HAY, ALLAH RUB UL AIZT AAP KO AUR AAP KA SAY KHANDAN KO SALAMAT RAKHAY. AAMIN.
m.aslam
Apr 26, 2012 02:53pm
qalandar very nice comments ,your memories from medical school includoing from razi hall are amazing,angd you are still full of enthusiasm for cinema after doing three frcs.please send me your e.mail and phone . Your classmate dr m.aslam who used to live in razi hall
Kaleem
Apr 25, 2012 08:51am
God bless Shabnam and Robin for not forgetting the old fellow thespains like Lehri sahib. Kaleem
Azhar Ali Khan
Apr 25, 2012 10:47am
Welcome to Pakistan again ! I really admire your movies like " Bano Rani ", "Chahat", etc . Especially the golden platinum hit movie "Aaina ". I love the music which Robin Gosh composes . Like in "Bandish", "Aaina" etc. May our film industry one day flourish and we also win the Acadamy Award ! like Chinnoy's "Making Faces"
khalil
Apr 25, 2012 10:48am
you are still charming and robin seems to be a fantastic husband.
khwaja javed ikram
Apr 25, 2012 10:54am
we all in Pakistan thank Robin Gosh and Shabnam for looking after Alamgir as the singer was not in good health., many thanks for you both and Bangladesh
Hassan
Apr 25, 2012 10:57am
It is great to see Shabnam in Pakistan.We still love her! Her heart is free of usual hatred our Bengali brothers possess against us. We love them all and ignore their influenced opinion. Welcome, Shabnam!
Rizwan
Apr 25, 2012 08:24pm
welcome home
Iftikhar Malik
Apr 25, 2012 08:43pm
Dear Shabnam and Robin: You have been my favorite artists for a long time. Long live both of you and thanks for making our lives richer with the memories of the past. We will never forget both of you.
F Khan
Apr 25, 2012 12:47pm
old days....nostalgia...i think her best pair was with nadeem.... welcome home shabnam.
Riz
Apr 25, 2012 10:12am
You 've been an asset for Pakistan.. we all loves you!
nadeem
Apr 25, 2012 04:07pm
Shabnum sahiba aap Pakistan se kion chalee gain aap tou Pakistan ka asset hain. Film industry ki tareekh aap ke credit ke baghair adhori hai. Mai aur hum sub aap ko hamesha Silver Screen pur daikhna chahay gay
Cyrus Howell
Apr 25, 2012 04:11pm
The Bengladeshis in Britain don't have Pakistanis. They see you as "too warlike" in nature. There is a softness to them (and to the films) that Pakistanis do not share. Perhaps Shabnam is a personification of that to many people. The major difference between Pakistan and both Bangladesh and India is that they are matriarchal societies and Pakistan is a patriarchal society.
nadeem
Apr 25, 2012 04:10pm
Welcome Robin Ghosh a great Musicain of Pakistan film Industry. I always have been listening the memorable tunes of great films.
Iftikhar Husain
Apr 25, 2012 11:57am
We can use her expertise to promote the flim industry.
smj
Apr 25, 2012 04:08pm
How is her Asthma?
fefifos
Apr 26, 2012 11:09am
It was great to read about Shabnam and go thru parts of her interview when she visited Karachi recently. She was no doubt one of the top stars of yester-years and her performance and elegance. will always be remembered.
Raja Faheem
Apr 25, 2012 12:27pm
Welcome Home...!
Saima
Apr 26, 2012 08:43pm
Despite our bangladeshi brothers keep grudges from us but i would like to tell them we still love them. whatever happened with them was the part of conspiracy which is still going on in our country for further partition. May Allah save our country. Whereas about shabnam , i wasnt the part of that era when she used to be star of silver screen but i saw her movies on PTV, that was an effort of PTV to rekindle her memories!
RAK
Apr 25, 2012 03:46pm
................Isn't she gave a good image of Pakistan to the world at large? Think over it.
amir unus
Apr 27, 2012 06:51am
graceful lady still charming
Naveed Lotia
Apr 25, 2012 08:21pm
Wonderful to know Mr & Mrs Goash are hale and hearty and doing well! We consider you one of our own and we love you both. God bless you and your family. Seeing here again in this picture brought tears to my eyes...wow.
Sarfraz Ali
Apr 26, 2012 10:26am
Welcome Madam Shabam. About devlopment of Karachi, I would say she perhaps have not measure the devlopment of Karachi to the devlopment in other major cities of the world during the last decade.
nuzhat fatima
Apr 26, 2012 10:26am
welcome to pakistan
malik100
Apr 26, 2012 05:22am
Uhhh Indira Gandhi
Akhtar khan
Apr 27, 2012 02:32pm
tera saya jahan bhi ho sajna palkain bicha doon, hasti hooie ankhon ka kajal urtiee hooe zolfoon ka badal, roothay ho to tum ko kaisay manao piya, dunya say kiya garz meri dunya tu app hain, gatay raho, gungoonatay rahoo zindai kay dokoon pay muskuratay raho, humain khoo kar bohat pachtao gey jab hum nahee hoon gey unforgettable legend!!!!! SHABNUM !!!! forever alive our HEART Jahan rahooo Khush Rahooo.
Gerry D'Cunha
Apr 27, 2012 11:30am
Welcome to Shabnam and Robin Ghosh to my wonderful city Karachi and being amazed by its new look. Shabnam is an versatile actress and I have seen many of her films.
Ziauddin Ali Ahmed
Apr 26, 2012 05:45am
I am from Bangladesh. And I would like to inform you that we don't have matriarchal family except the native people called Garo. But we do have soft corners for our mothers very much. Yes, in joint families, if father pass away, mothers take charge.
Masood
Apr 25, 2012 06:43pm
She got all the fame,wealth, popularity, honor, and love from Pakistan and then left the country (Pakistan) which has gave her everything. That is very disrespectful to Pakistan
Dr.Qalandar Khan
Apr 25, 2012 08:39pm
Wellcome to Pakistan.I have very good memories of you being you a heartthrob of pakistani filmgoers in 70s.Seeing you reminds me of my student life in medical college.Just your name was a hallmark of the boxoffice success of a movie..AAh those were the days.All tributes to you. I wish I were in Pakistan and could see you in real life.May God bless you a long and prosperous life,full of joy and happiness,Ameen
amat
Apr 29, 2012 09:54am
welcom shabnam and love u
asif
May 16, 2012 07:12am
please come forever in pakistan