QUETTA, March 4: The Balochistan National Party (Mengal) held rallies in different parts of the province on Sunday in protest against the killing of activists Waheed Baloch and Suleman Baloch whose bullet-riddled bodies were found a few days ago.
Addressing one such rally outside the press club here, BNP-M vice-president Sajid Tareen and information secretary Agha Hasan Baloch said that a military operation was being carried out in the province to suppress the political struggle for protecting the resources of Balochistan.
Public meetings were organised in Nushki, Mastung, Kalat, Khuzdar, Turbat, Gwadar, Sibi, Dera Murad Jamali, Dera Allahyar and Jaffarabad. Activists carried placards and banners and raised slogans against the government.
The BNP-M leaders said the governor and the chief minister were equally responsible for ‘oppressive methods’ being used by the state machinery against the Baloch people.
However, they said, usurpers had failed to undermine their struggle for rights.
They alleged that the PPP government was pursuing the same anti-Baloch policies that had been made by military dictator Pervez Musharraf, adding that even women and children were not safe in the province.
Criticising the establishment, they said that for the past six decades it had been pursuing a divide and rule policy in Balochistan to loot resources of the province.
The BNP leaders said the party believes in democratic struggle and the Baloch people would frustrate designs to subdue their voice.
INJURED: Two people were injured in an armed attack in Sanjawi area of Ziarat district on Sunday, adds APP According to the Levies Force sources, Ainuddin and Muhammad Shah were on their way home when assailants on a motorbike opened fire at them, leaving them wounded. Ainuddin and Shah were taken to a local hospital but were referred to a Quetta hospital because of their critical condition.
The motive behind the attack could not be ascertained immediately.
The Levies Force was investigating the incident.