IHC reserves verdict in Lodhi sacking case

Published Feb 08, 2012 06:02am

Former defence secretary Lt-Gen (retd) Khalid Naeem Lodhi. — File Photo

ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Wednesday reserved its verdict in the petition filed against the sacking of Lt-Gen (retd) Khalid Naeem Lodhi from the position of defence secretary, DawnNews reported.

The government has requested the court to dismiss the petition filed by Lodhi's lawyers Mohammad Munir Paracha and F.K. Butt.

The petition cited the president, prime minister, cabinet secretaries, the establishment division and Acting Secretary Defence Nargis Sethi as respondents.

During today’s hearing, Butt told the court that Lodhi was sacked illegally. He further said that the government had claimed that Lodhi was dismissed for violating the rules of business and a code of conduct — an allegation that had damaged his reputation.

However, representing the federal government, Deputy Attorney General Tariq Jehangiri rejected Butt’s allegations and said that Lodhi was sacked legally and in accordance with the rules of business.

He further said that it was wrong to link action against Lodhi with the possibility of any action against the army chief.

Lodhi, who took over as the defence secretary on November 28 last year, was sacked on Jan 11 and was considered to be a close confidant of General Ashfaq Kayani.

More From This Section

Comments (0) (Closed)