-Photo by Wajiha Anwar

Last Sunday afternoon as I lounged about lazily on my verdandah, I couldn’t help but think about how a perfect bowl of soup would beat the surprising, yet welcome chill of winter Karachi faces this year.

My determination grew stronger as I watched the winter sun setting in the horizon.

Karachittes find winters irresistible, you won’t hear anyone complain about how cold it gets at night. Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that we spend all year impatiently waiting for the season.

Hence, in the spirit of letting even a single chance go by to enjoying the chilling season, I bring to you a delightfully tangy bowl of happiness!

I personally love the recipe of my home-made “Thai Soup” – however, this recipe is open to improvisation.

The great thing about Thai soup is the ginger in it. While it’s appetizing, it’s also known to cure the common cold.

This easy-to-make soup will barely take up 30 minutes of your time. And the great thing about soup is that no matter how it turns out, one rarely regrets it.

Dish: Thai Soup

Ingredients:

Boneless Chicken (Julian cutting) – ¼ kg Ginger paste –2tblsp Lemon juice – 4 to 5 tblsp Cabbage – 1 quarter: cut into cubes Chicken cube – 2 cubes Fried rice – 4tblsp Long green pepper – 4 to 5 Corn Flour – 2 tblsp Oil – 2 tblsp Salt – to taste Water – 6 glasses

Method:

Lightly fry the chicken cubes in heated oil till the cubes begin to dissolve in the oil. When the chicken is golden, add water to it and let it boil. When the water starts to boil, add some ginger paste

To make ginger paste:

Add ginger in a blender and add 1 glass of water, blend it together.

Then add salt and let it for about 5 minutes.

Proceed by adding corn flour to the mixture, while constantly stirring the soup.

Then, add cabbage, moti mirch and a on a slow flame cook it for another 5 minutes, once it has been mixed well, add some lemon juice and fried crispy rice.

To make crispy fried rice:

Heat 3 tblsp oil in a pan, add raw rice to it, remember to wash it thoroughly first and fry until the rice turns.

Viola! Your Thai Soup is ready! Serve hot with crackers.

If you try it let us know whether you liked it!

The writer is an Assistant Multimedia Producer at Dawn.com

Updated Jan 10, 2012 04:23am

A eulogy for 2,100 bustards

It may make some proud to kill nearly 2% of the population of an endangered species. Others, like me, find it appalling.

Celebrating failure

The over glorification of success is detrimental to our children, given today’s world where little is black and white.

Abubakar
Jan 10, 2012 01:57pm
reading the title i thought it would be something relating to a book i read in my childhood. "chicken soup for the kids soul"
Sobia
Jan 10, 2012 02:45pm
very refreshing!
Ali Sheikh
Jan 10, 2012 08:39pm
Interesting. Being a former TV chef I have to say that there is nothing "THAI" about this soup! where is the fish sauce?, the lime leaves?, the garlic?, the galangal?, (to name but a few vital Thai ingredients! This is a glorified version of yahkni which has an "over the Clifton bridge" twist. Also ginger as a stand alone does not cure a cold! it is also used in a combination along with honey. I do agree with the writer that winter time in my old hometown was time and for that reason alone reading the article made me smile (minus the recipe). AS - formerly of "Fine Dining - Masala TV"
Paki
Jan 10, 2012 10:37pm
I would not recommend this soup to anyone with Salt & Oil come on rice too that's not a soup.
abdlsy
Jan 11, 2012 02:43am
sounds yummy for winter times, but I am worried about the following: chicken cubes ( 2 day supply of salt), corn powder, rice ( high carbohydrates), fried chicken, fried rice ( fatty foods with oil), cabbage gives gas. But ginger, lemon juice and boneless chicken are very healthy foods, sorry for my feedback.
h.chu
Jan 11, 2012 04:20am
You cannot call it a Thai soup without lemon grass and fish sauce.
babe
Jan 11, 2012 04:51am
Thankyou, been meaning to make desi thai soup, miss Pak!!
S.G. Jilanee
Jan 11, 2012 07:24am
A fine adaptation of what is called Tom yum soup. What else can one do in teh absence of lime leaves and lemon grass?
Bushra
Jan 17, 2012 10:43am
What is everyone talking about? Have you all not been to a Chinese restaurant in Khi, with a soup called Thai Soup being served. I believe THAT is the soup the author is writing about.