Dawn News

Pakistan rejects US probe into border deaths

Military spokesman Major-General Athar Abbas speaks during a news conference in Rawalpindi April 29, 2009.—Reuters

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani military Thursday rejected the conclusions of a US investigation into a Nato airstrike that killed two dozen Pakistani soldiers last month along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.

US officials, unveiling the results of their investigation into the Nov. 25-26 incident that has enraged Pakistanis, said both sides were to blame and said the soldiers' deaths were partly rooted in miscommunication and misunderstandings.

Pakistani army spokesman Major General Athar Abbas said Pakistan does not agree with the US findings because they are “short on facts.”

“A detailed response will be given as and when the formal report is received,” said the statment.


Email news tips and feedback to News Desk, submit blogs to Blog Desk and share photos and Videos with Special Projects Desk.


Comments (0) Closed