Confessions of a Bollywood cinephile

Published Oct 01, 2011 04:08pm

During my internship at Dawn.com, my editor asked me to write an article on the Indian film industry. It was the perfect topic for me to write on. Sometimes I think to myself that my brain is an ongoing chemical imbalance of Indian films. I think of cheesy Bollywood dialogues as retorts and come backs. I single handedly beat people at Antakshari. I relate to situations with certain blockbuster films. (Wondering how filmy my life is?) Moreover, in my freshman year at college, I penned down an entire research paper on Bollywood.

I kept thinking to myself, how hard can this article be? I mean, I literally eat, pray, love (pun intended) Indian cinema. But as I tried to narrow down the article to a particular theme, I gave up. My mind would jump from Kishore to Rafi, Raj Kapoor to Guru Dutt, Nargis to Madhubala and Amitabh Bachan to Shahrukh Khan. It would, in essence, leap across generations of actors, composers, singers, cinematographers, directors, script writers, lyricists, well you get the picture. I was baffled and confused, with no pertinent filmy issue at hand.

Now as I write and listen to a playlist of Indian songs, I realise that my love for Indian cinema is too vast to be condensed into a post. The love affair goes back to the wee years of my childhood; when my family and I made trips to Hyderabad in local buses. The driver would put on Sri Devi songs; loud ones where one imagines her dancing at the edge of the mountain, all sari clad, proclaiming her love for Rishi Kapoor. My childhood was defined by Anil Kapoor’s 'Mr. India'. The defeat of Mogambo brought more joy to me than the end of Voldemort. Knowing that I loved Mr. India, my parents made me watch 'Brahmachari'. A film essentially for kids, but is best known for the Shammi Kapoor-Mumtaz song ‘Aaj Kal Teray Meray Pyar Kay Charchay’.

The evergreen romance that is so deeply embedded in Indian cinema made its appearance for me not when I saw Shahrukh romancing with Kajol under a gazebo (that takes the cake too) but when I watched Raj Kapoor’s Shree 420. The moment defined itself when Raj Kapoor and Nargis crooned to ‘Pyaar Hua Iqrar Hua hai’. They strolled down the streets of a very Russian set on a rainy night huddled together under an umbrella, lip syncing to this beautiful melody.

Kapoor laid the foundations of Indian cinema and his family continues to entertain millions. His brothers Shammi and Shashi Kapoor are equally talented if not more. The former being the face of Indian romances and the latter being the quintessential chocolate hero. His son Rishi Kapoor is unforgettable in films like 'Bobby' and 'Om Shanti Om'. His grand children Karishma, Kareena and Ranbir are the faces of present day Bollywood. The Kapoors are not just a glamorous dynasty in Bollywood. They have laid the foundations of what is today mainstream Indian cinema.

My ode to Indian cinema will be incomplete if I do not mention an actress who in my opinion is indubitably the face of Bollywood. Madhuri Dixit is not just a director’s dream or an artist’s muse. Her beauty touches the hearts of millions around the globe. Her smile lights up the screen, her dance sets the floor on fire. She does everything with the utmost poise and elegance. Her ethereal sensibilities evoke the beauty of Waheeda Rehman and Madhubala. Her acting skills stand parallel to the likes of Shabana Azmi and Rekha. But it is in her dance, that Madhuri manifests herself as the Godess of Bollywood. The nimbleness of her gymnastic steps in ‘Dil toh Pagal Hai’ and the grace, with which she embodies kathak or classical dance in numerous songs, showcases the broad spectrum of talent that she possesses.

As of now, I’m on the 13th song in the playlist. This short piece in my opinion does no justice to what Indian cinema really is. It just takes chunks of what creates a miniscule fraction of what Bollywood means to an enthusiast like me. If this article ran on a vintage film reel, it would last for a nano second. There is much more to this vast cinematic experience.

In conclusion, I would only say that call Indian cinema a side effect of globalisation or the incidence of the South Asian Diaspora, but this medium (films, music, art, culture) breaks man made boundaries. It transcends space, time, religion and ethnicity.

We, as a nation, can relate to what the film industry has to offer on this side of the fence as much (if not more) as those on the other side.

Zehra Hussain is a student at LUMS and a former intern at Dawn.com

More From This Author

Meme pool

—Illustration by Faraz Aamer Khan/Dawn.com We never leave our high school tendencies behind. The divine method of...

The new ‘red’

What does the average Facebook activity entail? Apart from hitting the ‘like’ button on numerous posts, creating an...

Drowning in apathy

Everyone has their Eid anecdotes. I have the opportunity to share mine on a media space. As per the ‘Eid calling’...

Vivek
Oct 01, 2011 03:37pm
wow..what a beautiful article..written from the heart. Truly evocative. After LUMS, you should consider an internship at one of the big production houses in Mumbai...
ashfaq
Oct 01, 2011 03:38pm
This is true because we as a nation have failed to produce any meaningful movies in the last 60 years. As a nation we have no identity other than "Anti-India". Yet we accept and imbibe their cinema unashamedly.....their movies,their songs,their tv....yet we won't miss an opportunity to scream anti India slogans at the top of our voice at the drop of a hat ! Where are we headed.....is there anything that we can calltruely Pakistani? Anything at all?
vinod vyas
Oct 01, 2011 03:42pm
Rishi Kapoor did not act in Om Shanti Om.."Om Shanti Om" was song from his film Karz
Anoop
Oct 01, 2011 03:44pm
Cinema in India is a manifestation of India's plural culture. Sad that Pakistanis can only relate to and understand only Hindi Cinema, which is pretty average compared to the South Indian movie Industry, which it self contains Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannda Film Industries. Funny how India has so many movie industries when many struggle to manage one!
Naveed
Oct 01, 2011 03:48pm
Thank you for sharing your beautiful trip down memory lane. This blog was an absolute delight to read :)
Mohan
Oct 01, 2011 03:48pm
His son Rishi Kapoor is unforgettable in films like ‘Bobby’ and ‘Om Shanti Om’. read it as His son Rishi Kapoor is unforgettable in films like ‘Bobby’ and ‘Karz. "om shanti om" was a song from Karz which was picturised on Rishi Kapoor. The film by the name of "Om shanti om" had Shah rukh Khan in the lead role
Amarnath
Oct 01, 2011 04:04pm
Bollywood is a thorough entertainer. However, If we search for creativity in bollywood industry, it frustrates. It amazes me to see that with hardly any new storylines, creativity, bollywood has been able to churn out blockbusters after blockbuster. Most movie makers follow set formulas. It says something about the people who follow bollywood. Only "parallel cinema" and regional film industry (tamil, bengali, malayalam, marathi) fill that void.
Amarnath
Oct 01, 2011 04:25pm
BTW, it is a sweeping statement when you say that the Kapoors laid the foundations of Bollywood. I agree partially, here. They might have laid the foundations of the "glamor and entertainer" part of the bollywood foundation. Otherwise, the important factors in the foundation in an entertainment industry, which are the storylines, is rather "flimsy" because they are repeated or stolen most of the times
Anon
Oct 01, 2011 04:26pm
It's really great to see the competitions with in India itself.
Naveed A. Jami
Oct 01, 2011 04:32pm
Yes our TV plays. Superb scripts directions and actor/actresses. I get amazed on how brilliant and talented these writers, producers, actors etc are. And where were they hiding.
Naveed A. Jami
Oct 01, 2011 04:38pm
Another great and interesting aspect of indian cinema is the language, it is Urdu. You meet people even from Delhi and north and you hear them speaking it is HIndi, but the language of Bollywood is Urdu, norms and vlaues are purely indian though.
Chittar
Oct 01, 2011 05:25pm
I second that. When we were growing up in Bombay, I remember the buzz where the common folks were praising the Pakistani TV serials for the scripts, acting and family based stories.The major lack in Pakistan is the marketing platform whereby the artists can showcase their talents to the world and not just the Pakistani people.
Surinder
Oct 01, 2011 06:00pm
Pakistan should be proud of its serials. They are one of the best in the world.
Ashish
Oct 01, 2011 07:02pm
& of course Music. Very original & truly world class
indian
Oct 01, 2011 07:35pm
Who told you it is URDU, i watch pakistani television shows but i cannot understand 40% words, which i never heard in hindi film industry. Like mujakraat, this word is never heard in hindi cinema which is common in urdu. i am also accept that in hindi movies ,pure form of hindi is not spoken because most of the indians cannot understand it mostly today's generation.Moreover Urdu came from hindi, when persians and arabs came to india, they cannot speak pure hindi, so they mixed persian and arab words in hindi. And also even if culture of india and pakistaan is so similar, yet we are ready to cut each other throat. We cannot live like canada and america.
Taatya Singh
Oct 01, 2011 07:48pm
Nice article. Very rare and refreshing to hear something that is so purely about the subject with no politics.
Anwar Umer Bawany
Oct 01, 2011 07:58pm
YES! Pakistani TV dramas are a kind of it's own. Nobody can beat it.
Himanshu
Oct 01, 2011 08:43pm
I would give all of our Bollywood to you for Dhoop Kinarey and Tanhayian :-)
Devendra
Oct 01, 2011 08:48pm
Dear Zehra, People like you are the hope for better relations between Indian and Pakistan. Nice article.
Jaytirth
Oct 01, 2011 08:48pm
It is not urdu but hindustani. Hindustani is a mixture of hindi and urdu.
kali Murgi
Oct 01, 2011 08:53pm
There is no dearth of acting skills in Pak as evident from their tv serials highly popular in northern India
Ritesh Shrivastava
Oct 01, 2011 09:04pm
I agree ..
Anon
Oct 01, 2011 09:31pm
For a better version of Bollywood, check out Tamil cinema with direction of Mani Ratnam and music of A R Rehman. For serious art story lines, see Malayalam cinema. To know what direction is, check out Satyajit Ray in Bangla.
amit
Oct 01, 2011 09:46pm
my friend bollywood mostly used hindi and mumbaikar language . some song of the film are hindi and urdu mixture . urdo is not a comman language in india. urdu mostly not use in common people.
nasir
Oct 01, 2011 10:13pm
Your narrative would be incomplete without a mention of K. A. Abbas renowned Urdu writer who penned almost all Raj Kapoors hits as well as directing and producing his parallel cinema starting from Dharti key lal , a movie about Bengals famine of the 40's that starred inimitable Balraj Sahni and later introduced Amitabh Bhacchan in Saat Hindustani. Also you ignored Ray and his Bengali classics.
T. Khan
Oct 01, 2011 10:16pm
"Kapoor laid the foundations of Indian cinema and his family continues to entertain millions." Indeed Kapoors' made a huge impact on the Bollywood what is today and will remain for decades to come, however, neglecting Dilip Kumar's contribution in making Raj Kapoor and other actors & actresses of 50s & 60s famous is mind boggling. The man is an Icon. Don't ever forget that.
Anonymous
Oct 01, 2011 11:58pm
I agree there is a lot more to Bollywood History then the Kapoors. Hindi Cinema was brought to the fore by Bombay Talkies, they were the founding fathers of the industry that we see today. Collaborative efforts with the German realist film makers at the the time meant social realist films which acted as the stepping stone for a mellowed down version later on. I don't agree with your comments on the story lines being stolen most of the times at all. The story lines are definitely stolen right now but Raj Kapoor films had some really talented writers so would want you to do your research a bit before making such a sweeping statement as well.
Vineet
Oct 02, 2011 12:11am
Language is Hindi ... you chose to call it urdu ... there is hardly any difference. If you emphasize on specific words to claim it as urdu, i can give you specific words to claim it as hindi. All kind of words are used and even English is heavily mixed now a days in movies. There is no point of this hindi vs urdu discussion ... its one and the same thing (but you might think otherwise)
Guru
Oct 02, 2011 12:14am
The greatest script writers and lyricists were Muslim (Salim-Javed, Sahir Ludhianvi, Kaifi Azmi) as well as many current names are a significant part of Bollywood. We Indians are extremely proud of their work.
Zehra Hussain
Oct 02, 2011 12:20am
Apologies for that blooper. I think I confused the song with the name of the film. Thanks for pointing it out though. :)
Afaf
Oct 02, 2011 01:08am
I really like your article. And to tell you the truth your thoughts about Bollywood and your passion and love for Indian Film industry are similar to mine. So I completely agree to whatever you have penned down and no doubt that Bollywood is such a vast topic that it cant be narrowed down to a single article. Gr8 going :)
SHAJIA AHMED
Oct 02, 2011 01:41am
I came across this article and skimmed it through. I read the last two paragraphs very thoroughly though. In my humble opinion, neither has or will films music art, culture transcend religion and ethnicity espcially films. Films are there for pure entertainment and making money and with regards to the art and music one should see if it coincides with our religion. Naseeruddin Shah, a prominent actor was once asked what effect does film has on society and he answered none. Films do not effect people. Last but not the least, can Madhuri Dixit or any other actor bring change to our society? NO. It is high time now that we stop praising unworthy industries and people and understand who we are. SHAJIA AHMED WINNIPEG, CANADA
Ganesh
Oct 02, 2011 01:58am
Naveed bahi, Language of Bollywood is neither Urdu or English....Its long time science I have heard 5 continuous sentences without 3 of them being in English.(Old movies are different though). As far as songs go, I do love songs with touch Urdu (with effect of Arabic being limited to everyday language). They represent honesty, and something coming from deep heart(eg. Bol na halke halke).
hrishi
Oct 02, 2011 03:06am
the language is not Urdu at all .. its hindi or variant called Hindustani ...mix of hindi with urdu ..Urdu is not original language .. Urdu is made by those who read n wrote arabic n spoke hindi n started writing hindi in arabic script...indian muslims speak original urdu n largest urdu-language speakers in world ...Hindi integrates urdu arabic words as welll..hence most pakistanis can comprehend that too
Shridhar Subrahmanya
Oct 02, 2011 03:19am
The language was very much chaste Urdu before 1947 but it has been evolving and now that language is more Hindi than Urdu. The fact that Urdu is not taught anymore in schools is the reason why the language has morphed. Muslim families in UP and Delhi find it difficult to get kids to learn Urdu as Hindi is now the more utilitarian language for success in life, apart from, of course, English. In fact, when I went to Lahore in 2006 after six decades, many of my Pakistani friends complained that Hindi movies are becoming more and more difficult to understand fully because of chaste Hindi words. The songs continue to have a fair amount of Urdu because most lyric writers are more comfortable writing in flowery Lucknowi Urdu!
Nishant Visen
Oct 02, 2011 03:20am
A very nice article indeed. Your passion for Indian movies is but evident. I am also a management student in India (pursuing the same from an IIM). I have heard a lot about LUMS. One of the common traits of the top schools of all disciplines anywhere in the world is that they try to inculcate a habit of unbiased opinion. The fact that the author could write her heart out living in an environment as vitriolic as hers, speaks volumes about the author as well as her alma mater. Great job!!!
bayravin
Oct 02, 2011 04:42am
This article is well written but for one flaw - did not include the all time MegaStar - "Dev Anand". Dev Saab has co-starred with the most top female actresses and spanned for so many decades. He introduced several Mega Stars and so many top Bollywood numbers belong to Dev Saab. How can he not command more words than the author has spared for lovely Madhuri?
PADMANABHAN,USA
Oct 02, 2011 05:23am
I entirely agree. The 'not India' syndrome, thankfully for Pakistan, not carried to Bollywood, has deprived Pakistan(and India) of each other's friendship) I do not say that India is entirely blameless. However, India(despite the saffron brigade), has moved on:the whole world does not revolve around 'hate Pakistan' , in India, The focus in India is making a buck, sometimes honestly but amongst the politicians by hook or crook.India is too busy going after mammon to worry about Pakistan. J
Rajinder
Oct 02, 2011 08:01am
I think the golden era of Indian movie industry was from late 50's to mid seventies. The stars were amazingly good looking, extremely talented and entirely self made. There was enormous competition and only the best could survive. If we consider looks only, heroines like Vyjyantimala, Madhubala, Sadhna, Waheeda Rehman, Mumtaz, Asha Parekh and Saira Bano looked more charming and elegant even in black and white movies than any of today's heroines. The only thing most of today's so called stars have to offer is average looks, basically no acting talent but they are experts in dancing like clowns often in a vulgar manner to songs that are completely meaningless. This is in sharp contrast to songs in the older movies that had excellent lyrics, melodious music and unbelievable singing talent of Rafi, Kishore, Mukesh, Lata and Asha.Nowadays, not only the music, but the entire movie lacks any depth and substance. The direction is also often very poor. I think that a sudden negative transformation in the Indian movies represents the changing value system of the Indian population who definitely has more disposable income but lives at a more superficial level and easily charmed by western glamor Comparing today's movies with those of yesteryear's is like comparing night and day
Aditya
Oct 02, 2011 08:17am
I have watched Pakistani Urdu news bulletins and cannot understand a lot of it. Comparing that, I cannot believe that language used in current (emphasis) Bollywood movies is Urdu. You need to understand that many persian and arabic words have become standard in Hindi and we dont mind that.
Ishfaque Bokhari
Oct 02, 2011 08:23am
Why living legend of Bollywood world Dilip Kumar is not mentioned --very strange
Ishaque
Oct 02, 2011 08:51am
Articles like these can help bridge the hostilities between these two countries that have so much communality in culture, language art and fashion. It is sad that Pakistan’s film industry was not allowed to develop due to overzealous religiosity of the country; now with more freedom of the media the film industry may make its comeback. There is definitely no dearth of excellent script writers, poets, actors and singers in Pakistan as is evident from the type of TV dramas that are being produced. The writers of these dramas are not shy to produce plays about very sensitive subjects that are real-life events which are relevant to the society at large.
R K HASTIR
Oct 02, 2011 09:23am
Hats-Off to my country men who have and had Welcomed all artists in cinema industries (MOVIE-MUSIC-LYRICTS ) with open heart irrespective of , where he belongs even from Pakistan . ART IS ART MEANS PEACE IN LIFE.
RK Singh
Oct 02, 2011 09:31am
You have missed many greats of the so-called Bollywood. Bimal Roy,Mehboob Khan, Hrishikesh Mukherjee, K.Asif, Kamal Amrohi, Dilip Kumar,Dev Anand,Shailendra,Naseeruddin Shah to name a few. About "Om Shanti Om" others have already mentioned.
sentil
Oct 02, 2011 10:08am
Wow..guess there is still some kindness for India left in Pakistani hearts! Hope to be able to travel to Pakistan sometime and return alive :)
S N Roy
Oct 02, 2011 10:25am
Hey - Shammi passed away the other day! We have to refer to him in the past tense now...
Qasim
Oct 02, 2011 10:48am
Is this really Dawn? It seems more like a high school essay than something to be published by an esteemed newspaper. This is not about the subject matter of the 'essay' but the language and style here!
SKD
Oct 02, 2011 10:59am
Zehra Hussain, Thanks for an excellent article! "My brain is an ongoing chemical imbalance of Indian films. I think of cheesy Bollywood dialogues as retorts and come backs. I single handedly beat people at Antakshari. I relate to situations with certain blockbuster films." Now that is really fantastic!
fahad khan
Oct 02, 2011 11:10am
You try so hard to write big words.. partially an okay article. but you need to keep the excitement level in check. In the end, it's just an article. I didn't care if it did justice to bollywood, you didn't have to write a whole paragraph explaining that it is just a short piece. A bit lost in thought reaction and too much use of the word "I".
jssidhoo
Oct 02, 2011 11:16am
I wish this love for Indian movies could transcend to all other things Indian just give it a try.
Ali Nawaz
Oct 02, 2011 11:18am
Its very strange you being a Pakistan so much in love with Indian movies where they just show indian culture and many of the recent indian pictures have themes which are anti-pakistani. Be a Pakistani and discuss pakistan things... Leave India and forget bollywood...its history remeber it...how many people in India remember Noor Jehan or Mehdi Hasan or Nadeem or Mohd Ali or Zeba and Rani...or our oldies like Sabiha and Mussarat nazir..
Jack
Oct 02, 2011 12:10pm
Dear Ali Nawaz, most of the aspects of Indian films that the author admires are completely secular and have nothing to do with religion - and if you remove religion completely from the picture, Pakistani culture is not that different from Indian Punjabi culture - which dominates Indian cinema. Further, Noor Jehan and Mehdi Hassan also still have their faithful following in India - as do the new breed of Pakistani entertainers like Atif Aslam. I appreciate the youthful enthusiasm that permeates the entire article, and hope that it reflects the attitudes of other young Pakistanis as well. Note - pls change the 'Om Shanti Om' reference - it was a song in 'Karz' while the movie is a relatively recent Farah Khan movie starring Shah Rukh Khan.
Jason
Oct 02, 2011 12:14pm
Let's not forget that Indian and Pakistani cultures and societies are not too different. As an Indian, let me assure you that there are many fans of Noor Jehan and Mehdi Hassan in my country. These names are not just in Pakistani people's minds. Kindly shed this attitude.
DKSingh
Oct 02, 2011 12:17pm
Bollywood has enthralled people in South Asia and beyond for more than 50 years now. It has more viewers than all other country's film industries combined. Even artists in Pakistan are coming down to try their luck in bollywood. You can try but you cannot remove Indian cinema from people's hearts and minds.
sharwi
Oct 02, 2011 12:35pm
i agree with fahad khan... seems article is written to make us feel india is not our enemy folks.... love it
harry
Oct 02, 2011 12:49pm
I am from punjab (india) .which pakistani serials are highly popular here ???? I don't know any.
Dinesh Sharma
Oct 02, 2011 01:01pm
Mehdi Hassan, 'King of ghazal' is from Pakistan ??? I thought he is from Rajasthan, India - ignorant me :)
Pras
Oct 02, 2011 01:35pm
Hi Zehra, I thoroughly loved reading your article. It certainly brought many memories of watching Hindi movies as a kid. But there is lot (much much more than 'Bollywood') to Indian cinema. As someone mentioned above, South India makes hell lot of movies every year....and of better quality (not exactly in terms of Prodcution quality aka money spent on filming) like story, art, culture, philosophy, and music....the National Awards given every year bares testimony to that. BTW, its 'Karz' and not 'Om Shanti Om'. The latter is a song in the former.
ashu
Oct 02, 2011 04:23pm
Mr. Nawaz.ppl like in both countries spoil everything n see everything frm the prism of religion. ppl in India love mehndi hasan, gulam ali.i alwasy get peace listening the gazal singers of Pakistan.i very well know mohamad ali. i hv grown up listening frm my parents abt shahiba...better u ask ur govt. to promote such business among Indian ppl freely. nyeah when i read ur comment i was listening gazal of pakistani singer 'chupke chupke rat din aansu bahana yad hai'....and 'mujko v to lift kara de' by adnan sami (pakistani origin singer) is super heat dance number in India....Veena Malik is well known figure in India..don't spread false rumors....
anup
Oct 02, 2011 05:30pm
Well written one but few areas missing. For example V Shantaram, Dadasaheb Phalke etc. were some of the poineers who worked well before Raj Kapoor. Usualy industry dominated by punjabi actors, south Indian dancing qeens, and with direction of some talented people. Singing had 3 greats in male section which includes Kishor, Rafi & Mukesh. Female part mainly Asha and Lata. The modern age was dominated by Khans and Madhuri, Kajol,Preity,Ash etc. Singing was dominated by Udit,Alka,Kumar etc. Now days we see all made NRI masala &quality is a concern.
Jay Ravi
Oct 02, 2011 07:05pm
This article seems to be a PR exercise for the Kapoor family -- generations of this family entered Bollywood because they were not good for anything else. Acting in Bollywood movies since the seventies does not require any talent or intellect. Amongst actors the likes of Guru Dutt, Dilip Kumar have no equals from the Kapoor stable.
junaid abdul
Oct 02, 2011 07:10pm
Bollywood is garbage
T. Khan
Oct 02, 2011 07:39pm
Amir Khan's movies such as Lagaan and Dhobi Ghat are a giant leap towards Bollywood's changing their formula approach. They both were thoroughly enjoyable.
anujrj
Oct 02, 2011 09:10pm
This one article made me realise once more - people are the same, have similar interests and desires.....the bigger propaganda machines at work in South Asian neighbours makes them so difficult to integrate. I mean, I can tell people intimately about travelling to and seeing sights in Thailand, but not Bangladesh; UAE/Dubai but not Pakistan, Damascus but not Kabul..... if we could, like Zehra, just get to see our shared culture as a positive and not as a divide, wouldn't it be great? YES, keep your armies, your govts, your religions intact.....but people can still get along can't they?
Suresh
Oct 02, 2011 10:36pm
Yes! Pakistani dramas were superb. But, mostly, TV dramas are family melodramas, a sort of "within four walls of a house" type. But, movies tend to move out of this zone and become societal. This is when Pakistani movies fail. No fault with the artists but with the society as ashfaq clearly pointed out earlier. As against this, same artists shine in Indian movies due to progressive and pluralistic setting it offers.
Sohaib
Oct 02, 2011 10:56pm
Pakistan made some very good movies up until 80s. The movies in 50s and 60s were equal or better than Bollywood. Bollywood had a bigger audience and more resources and thats why they were ahead of us. And where do you see 'Anit-India' being part of our identity?
ad
Oct 02, 2011 11:55pm
better quality?
genda kaka
Oct 03, 2011 12:41am
bolywood is pure entertainment for those who like song and dance, and a bit of maudlin sentiment. pakistani,s should accept it as such. its not hostile against any one. it just want to sell you a ticket for 2 hours of escapism.
AHmed Zeeshan
Oct 03, 2011 01:02am
Pakistani Music is also very Good
narmin
Oct 03, 2011 08:56am
well donw zehra----------u have natural flair for writing ---hope u have a great future---although u missed out on amitabh-----still good work !
Jogesh Narula
Oct 03, 2011 10:04am
Dear Ms. Hussain, The older indian movies are loveble. Today the Indian movie industry is dumbed down, however you can still enjoy the ocassional "Dabang". Otherwise you can hardly be comfortably give all the " Mujhse Dosti Karogi" type of films.
Punjbai munda
Oct 03, 2011 10:29am
"Dhoop Kinare" days are gone ! The Pakistani serials are as bad as the Indians one.
Prateik
Oct 03, 2011 10:33am
I went to watch BOL and coudnt understand half of it. Guess THAT was Urdu.
Pranav Saini
Oct 03, 2011 10:41am
An article straight from the heart. A number of Pakistanis I have met hasten to run down Bollywood and pass comments like "I dont watch Indian movies", but at the same time are aware of all the movies, stars and latest happenings in Bollywood.
Iyer
Oct 03, 2011 10:44am
Just wanted to reiterate that the notion that Indians have no respect for Pakistan's great artistes is absurd. Leading Indian ghazal singers such as Hariharan, Jagjit Singh and Talat Aziz regularly pay glowing tributes to Mehdi Hassan sahib. I am from the south of India (my native language is far from Hindi and Urdu even though I acquit myself well in both) and yet numbers such as Ranjishi sahi, Mujhe tum nazar se and Duniya kisi ke pyar mein jannat se kam nahin give me such pleasure to this day! Those talking through their hat, do they know how popular Nazia Hassan became in India with her "Aap jaisa koi mere..." in Qurbani? Or how popular is, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan saheb and Rahat F A Khan currently? Do they realize how much of support that fine young singer Amanat Ali Khan got from the Indian public during the Sa Re Ga Ma Pa music show on TV just a couple of years ago? Or how popular Adnan Sami is right now in India? I could go on but will close with a personal example. I remember this song but not the singer (my good Pakistani friends in Canada used to play this regularly), it was Urdu "soft rock" I guess, titled "Purani jeans aur guitar". I loved the lyrics and that song ("Bas yaaden...yaaden reh jathee hain" he sang and how true!) and even though I can't recollect the singer's name, I vividly remember that he is Pakistani. So, once again, this notion that Indians have no regard for good Pakistani artists is unadulterated nonsense!! Stop spreading such drivel, please!
nayeem
Oct 03, 2011 11:08am
i felt very sorry to see some posts bringing regional and religious aspects in to this article .....if that was the case,dilip kumar,madhubla,vijanthimala and many more are from Pakistan .....but still we all respected and adored them and even Pakistanis bro's should be proud of them.....
Kareem Bakhsh
Oct 03, 2011 11:42am
In Indian film history Madhubala has no match.She was the queen of Indian film Industry.
Zarrie
Oct 03, 2011 11:45am
I really want to clap for you Ms.Zehra its a really amazing piece.I just loved reading it and I felt as if i was in a movie remembering all those times;)
Tajammal
Oct 03, 2011 12:02pm
Pakistan has allowed Indian films in Pakistani cinemas, what about yours?
Sanjay
Oct 03, 2011 01:58pm
There never was any restriction. "Khuda ke liye" and "Bol" were released in theatres. They should be financially viable too. No distributor would take a chance with Pakistani masala films.
vijay, chennai, Indi
Oct 03, 2011 02:21pm
The end of urdu lyrics was the end of good music/songs in bollywood. The NEW songs you hear now can, at best remembered for a week whereas the songs recorded during the 50s through the 70s (urdu lyrics) are hummed even today. In India, there a certain music troupes who play only songs sung by Mohd Rafi, Mukesh, Kishore, Mannadey, Mahendrakapoor only. In female singers it is lataji, Asha bhosle only. Such was the power of Urdu lyrics. What we find now is Kuchada.
Tajammal
Oct 03, 2011 03:36pm
Foundation of Bollywood was laid by the artists belong to the areas of Sub-continent now in Pakistan. The author has forgotten a main artist 'DILIP KUMAR' (Yousaf Khan). His contributions are far more then any other.
murali
Oct 04, 2011 02:14am
vijanthimala born at Chennai in orthodox tamil brahmin family and madhubla at delho
Pranav
Oct 04, 2011 10:52am
Yusufsaab's contribution was immense but how can it be more than the founder of Indian Cinema Dadasaheb Phalke, Devika Rani, Bimal Roy, Satyajit Ray etc. He did evolve a style of acting which is being followed by actors till date but he never went for film-making or direction.
Ali Nawaz
Oct 05, 2011 11:31am
I totally agree with you.
Mrityunjay Tripathi
Oct 07, 2011 02:43am
Forgot to mention an example.. Those who have seen 'Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak' may not have noticed the language of the movie mentioned as 'Urdu' in Censor Board certificate. U found anything different in the dialogues. I think all Nasir Hussain movies were 'made' in Urdu. Somebody pls. check and confirm..
Mrityunjay Tripathi
Oct 07, 2011 02:56am
Forgot to mention an example. 'Qayamat se Qayamat Tak' is registered as an Urdu movie as per the Censor Board certificate. I think all Nasir Hussain movies (and probably Amir Khan's own production movies also) are 'Urdu' movies as per his choice. Did any one notice anything peculiar in dialogues ??? I never did...
Maira
Oct 07, 2011 06:28pm
Purani Jeans was Ali Haider's.. a true masterpiece :) and true, Indians value Pakistani artists more than we value them ourselves (usually)! It is but a great tragedy that we don't hold our own very talented artists in as high regards as they deserve. Ms Zehra, kudos on such an interesting article!
himanshu
Oct 08, 2011 04:50am
u r right Dinesh, Mehdi Hassan is from Rajasthan, India .but the article is not about clarifing who is from India or who is from Pakistan. and on the second verge the article is very nice .
zam zam cola
Oct 10, 2011 11:38am
Don't spread misinformation here.