Karachi blast: Our story

Published Sep 20, 2011 11:19am

—Photo Credit: Ali Khursheed

Boom! One word, one sound and a world lost. Bomb blast. Not many people survive a bomb blast without serious injuries and live to tell the story. I am extremely fortunate that not only myself, but my husband, three children, two maids and one cook walked out of a house which can only be described as a go-down of glass shrapnel, wooden splinters and rubble unharmed and alive.

You see it on television, the way it looked, but rarely do you actually realise what goes on inside. This is our story. September 19, 2011, for us a black Monday, began as any ordinary day. We woke up to our alarm at 6am and I rang the bell for the cook to come inside and make breakfast. Usually I wake up only one of the two maids, but I don’t know what came over me, I insisted they both wake up because I needed them. We all sat for breakfast at the dining table at precisely 6.30am and were back upstairs at 7am to get ready for school. 7.25, ready and about to exit my dressing room … BOOM!

I heard glass breaking, something fell on my head. The glass shower stall burst while my husband was bathing. He yelled, “The kids! Nausheen the kids!”

That is when realisation struck me and a strange calm seized me. I got up, went into my bedroom. There was no window grill or glass, all lying strewn across the bed and floor. I saw my children outside my door screaming, crying. They were alive. All of them. I reached the door, which was shut, but how were my children visible? It sunk in finally; the blast had been strong enough for the closed door inside the house to tear, splinter and smash across the room. I tried to open the jammed lower part; finding it stuck I climbed over it.

—Photo Credit: Ali Khursheed

“Bomb blast. Stay calm. We are alive. Say astaghfirullah.”

“Mummy, you are bleeding.” Right, I knew something had hit my head.

“I know, we will take care of it later.”

And my three brave children aged five to nine years held hands, my eldest bare feet, we walked over glass, so much glass, and rubble, and started walking towards the staircase. My husband was clothed but with soap on his face and body, rushed and lifted a large metal grill on the stairs and made way for us to pass through. Reaching down slowly, I calmly told my husband that we would sit in our car and drive to my friend’s house at the end of the street.

“The cars won’t be there.”

—Photo Credit: Ali Khursheed

Reaching down after walking on a lot of glass, we saw only devastation. There was no front door. There was no house front at all. My second son started crying.

“My house is broken. I don’t have a house. My house is broken.”

I grabbed my children’s hands and we started climbing on over the glass, bricks, and pieces of wood as we exited the front we saw the cars. The side wall had collapsed on top of one car, I don’t think our gate existed or if it did it was ravaged. No exit. No escape. The house on our left was Chaudhry Aslam’s, also a war zone.

I spun around as my husband screamed for my second son. Lost inside the devastation we heard him crying but couldn’t see him. My husband ran inside to look and emerged in seconds with him. With his great presence of mind, my husband pointed to a small opening in one of the boundary walls where the wall had collapsed. We got out of the house through that.

Blood-soaked, bare feet, eight people walked out alive from a house ravaged by what I heard later was 300 kilograms of explosives. Survived. Only to see pieces of mangled, charred and mutilated bodies. The time of attack was synchronised with the arrival of our dear driver and his son. Anwer Bhai, who for 22 years had been an integral part of our family. The world knew him as the friendly, helpful, long-haired driver. Only his torso was there. His body ripped apart by the powerful explosives.  We didn’t even have time to mourn. We swallowed our tears and walked till the mid of the street, bare feet still, and then a kind neighbor dropped us at my friend’s house.

Trauma. We found out later the attack was supposedly on Chaudhry Aslam’s house. It was a suicide bomber. We revisited the site after a few hours. I have always known that the one who saves is greater than he who plans to kill, but this is the first time I have evidenced that God sends angels to carry us through. Walking out of that house, five out of the seven people who were bare feet suffered not even a scratch. My cook and I escaped with minor stitches. No physical harm. No irreparable damage to my immediate family. Our family unit was intact.

Material things come and go, but life cannot be replaced. The life of Anwer Bhai and his son Asif have been taken in a meaningless war of pride. What is it? A religious war? A political war? Personal vendetta? A war fought on the civilian front where innocent people pay the price with their irreplaceable lives. And this is what a suicide bomber takes – his life and the lives of all those around him. What heaven does he think he’ll go to I wonder.

Nausheen Manji Dadabhoy studied English and Economics at Tufts University. She is based in Karachi where she teaches.

?

More From This Author

Let them eat cake

Upon being reprimanded about wasting food and informed woefully by yours truly about how so many people are deprived...

Rattanjeet Singh
Sep 20, 2011 05:05pm
A brave family blessed by god.best wishes-Rattan,Sydney,Australia
F. Akhtar
Sep 20, 2011 05:07pm
Its a war against humanity with no boundaries... my heart goes out to you and all the families who lived through this and prayers for your family, as you put life back together.
hana
Sep 20, 2011 05:14pm
Very moving story, may Allah protect Pakistan
Amarnath
Sep 20, 2011 05:20pm
Luck has been on yours and your family's side. you take god's name for saving your family, some take god's name for killing people. it is difficult to say whether god has been overrated or trivialized by humans.
Rizvi
Sep 20, 2011 05:31pm
Harrowing canvas. Appreciate you sharing it with us. Be well.
Nadeem Niaz
Sep 20, 2011 05:54pm
an act of Cruelty and Barbarity prayers are with you, May ALLAH GIVE you and your family strength to get through this trauma.
Yasser
Sep 20, 2011 06:00pm
Nausheen, I salute your courage to write down this tragedy for all to comprehend. We all have to be strong and fearless to combat the great evil of taleban and religious extremism. This evil will be crushed..Inshallah becuase Allah can not be on their side.
Imran
Sep 20, 2011 06:04pm
I salute your courage.
Farhat
Sep 20, 2011 06:05pm
Nausheen, you are very,very brave mashallah. May Allah give you the strength to bear all that you have gone through. Take care of yourself
faz
Sep 20, 2011 06:13pm
speechless ...
manzar
Sep 20, 2011 06:20pm
A lucid ,powerful & emotive piece written by a mother.
Talaiha Chughtai
Sep 20, 2011 06:54pm
This just made me cry.. it just made we realise that we don't even know what we are fighting.. Is it religious extremism? or is it just plain barbarism. We don't know where one starts and where one ends now.. I'm glad that you and your family are safe.
Sandeep
Sep 20, 2011 06:56pm
heart-wrenching..
Naheed
Sep 20, 2011 07:07pm
It's a miracle escape, Nausheen. May Allah bless you and your family. Talking of the ongoing violence in Karachi, I must say pathetic are those who kill innocent people. I really feel sorry for the loss of your driver and his son.
Asif USA
Sep 20, 2011 07:09pm
Hats off to you and your family for displaying courage in the face of disaster. Not many people can claim these traits. Very well narrated....
Naveed
Sep 20, 2011 07:17pm
Nausheen, My condolences are with you. All those amateurish will go straight to hell. Those who lost their lives in this terrible incident, May Allah bless their souls and give endurance to their loved ones to bear the irrecoverable loss. As you said, material things can come and go, but life cannot be replaced.
Nusair Teli
Sep 20, 2011 07:18pm
when i heard the boom, i thought something had crashed on my house and the force threw open windows setting off the alarm. when i heard where the blast had taken place,however, all i could think was " oh my god ms manji!". that thought stuck with me the whole day and still gives me shivers.
Kamil Ahmed
Sep 20, 2011 07:25pm
Our country is not worth living in. It's events like this that force us to think about what really matters in life. And what can we do about not letting this happen again. We are not safe in our mosques, not in our office and neither are we safe in our houses, regardless of what neighbourhood of phase of DHA. For those who can, do we migerate in search for a better life? And for those who can't, accept life as it comes to Pakistani's in the form of a painful slow and angry death. We don't deserve this.
Avtar
Sep 20, 2011 07:48pm
Nausheen. Reading your account of survival from a victims perspective is interesting. I hope the mentors/handlers of these suicide bombers read your account. I hope the "suicide bomber" culture that some of the Pakistanis have embraced over the last decade comes to end soon. At least, these groups should leave the civilians at peace.
Hammad
Sep 20, 2011 07:59pm
Nausheen aapa, you may have already done it but a little piece of advise. Please give out the sadaqa on behalf of you and your family. May Allah protect you and every other individual in Pakistan. My parents live in Karachi as well, not that far away from your home and I am wondering how to convince them to move here in the States. Hammad Mapara Chicago
Tabinda Atif
Sep 20, 2011 08:03pm
completely shattered after reading this heart wrenching incident! my heart goes out to all who have gone thru a similar situation,and to all those innocent lives taken. Don't know when and how this will end?? But i do know,that greater Being,will surely and truly not spare the ruthless minds behind it all...
Anum
Sep 20, 2011 08:07pm
I honestly have no words. The pictures of the surrounding houses that were shown on the media are for us just that... pictures. We never associate people with those pictures. You have put words into those, a story. If everyone came forward with theirs, I think in no time we would take to the streets. It's more than high time now. May Allah keep your family safe. Thank you for sharing your story.
Saad
Sep 20, 2011 08:11pm
Such suicide bombers will go only to one heaven that is known as hell!
Vinod
Sep 20, 2011 08:25pm
Happy to see you alive and safe Mrs Nausheen.
Pakistani
Sep 20, 2011 08:30pm
a very very very sad !!!
F.K
Sep 20, 2011 08:32pm
Still remember anwar bhai and Shehzad coming to our rescue at toll plaza past midnight..his loss is no doubt a very sad one. I rarely am lost for words but i fear this is one of those times..may god give you and SD the strength to move on from this atrocity. May time ease your pain, and may those who did this ROT in hell.
Zeeshan Ahmed
Sep 20, 2011 09:02pm
Wow. I have no words to describe what I just read. I actually felt your emotions. It is indeed a very emotional and psychologically agonizing experience, that you will remember for the rest of your life. It is indeed true that "Jisko Allah rakhey usey kaun chakhay". I am really glad that you folks survived. And I pray for all those who got martyred in this tragedy. God help us all. Protect us all. Too much blood around. Too much :'( Well written post, by the way. You penned it down well. In fact, it was very very intense. Stay safe.
Zehra Saqlain
Sep 20, 2011 09:14pm
Tuche'! that you could handle all this. I actually had goose bumps while only reading your article. Whatever happend was definitely more than sad. Dont know from where we can start mending our torn nation... I hope & pray that we all stay safe & realize whats happening around us rather than waiting for it to happen to us. Hopefully our media will also realize their responsibility rather than just creating a hype. My heart goes out for the 8 yrs old kids' picture the news channels are showing. What high & hopeful dreams he mustve had. How bright his every day mustve been... I just couldnt watch the whole thing the channels are exploiting. Sad, is all i can say & feel. Stay safe.
Nunya
Sep 20, 2011 09:28pm
Sorry for your loss, but thankful your family is ok. Our thoughts are with you.
abbasi
Sep 20, 2011 09:36pm
its Gods blessing that you and your family are unharmed!.
Kashif Siddiq
Sep 20, 2011 09:52pm
It was really devastating so see the kind of destruction brought upon, and one cannot even imagine what kind of mental scars this might leave on the children having witnessed so much destruction right inside the most safest place one can imagine, ones own home. I hope you are able to build your lives again from the rubbles of this horrific incident, and pray that Anwar Bhai and his sons family are able to somehow find peace in the aftermath of this.
Adv. shazia malik
Sep 20, 2011 10:17pm
Dear Nausheen, we are sad for this bad incident but at the same time extremely happy for all of you & further pray to Almighty Allah to save you all from all kinds of bad incidents. Best wishes for today & always. Keep smiling always.
Sohaib
Sep 20, 2011 10:19pm
A very brave story mashAllah. It is so true that material things come and go but human life cannot be replaced. It is also a lesson for all of us that death can take us at a time when we least expect it so we need to always be prepared.
Mubashir
Sep 20, 2011 10:28pm
I am just speechless.So sad.So pointless.What is our poor dear country coming to!Only brave souls like you are a beacon of hope.Never know what can or will happen next.Take care.
Sumaiya
Sep 20, 2011 10:31pm
Nausheen! Stay strong girl, you & your hubby & kids are very brave mashAllah. All our prayers are with you and the innocent people in Pakistan
Yusra
Sep 20, 2011 10:37pm
Nausheen, My heart goes to you and your family and the loss of all the innocent who became the victims of this horrendous act. May Allah keep everyone under his shelter. Nothing makes sense why such inhumane act of violence is needed for anything and what is gained out of it.
tahira hussain
Sep 20, 2011 10:45pm
they are crazy Nausheen we really have to fight back for our kids.
Hassan Abbas
Sep 20, 2011 10:48pm
very sad story, i pray GOD safe all of us.
asif
Sep 20, 2011 10:51pm
after what seems like a eternity tears flowed from my eyes. What kind of monster can harm innocent people. I prey for the writer and her brave family.
Fauzia Khuhro
Sep 20, 2011 10:54pm
Commendable that Nausheen could through her writing demonstrate indomitable human spirit after surviving this devastating experience. 'May Allah guide the people to His Truth.'
Hassaan Naeem
Sep 20, 2011 10:59pm
No doubt the suicide bombers take nothing, not even their lives, but others. For, they don't cherish thier life, don't have an idea about the value of a life, of a human being.
moom
Sep 20, 2011 11:18pm
our heart goes out to you
Nabeeha Arif
Sep 20, 2011 11:23pm
We can only imagine what you all went through. This incident has affected your lives in ways that you will continue to realise in days to come. You rightly call it a Black Monday. Is this the price we pay fpr simply being citizens of this country? Who is to blame here?
Amin Amdani
Sep 20, 2011 11:29pm
Terrorists have no religion, no ideology and no conscience. THey are just criminals and mass murderers. What this writer and her family went thru in a matter of few seconds is shocking and terrifying. May God help them.
Sana Sattar
Sep 20, 2011 11:32pm
I had tears in my eyes as i read this...i was just about to leave the house with my own kids to take them to school which is a few mins frm where it happened...and all i cud think of was thank god it hadnt happened any later and we hadnt been there...how selfish of me..instead my thoughts shud have been with the ppl who had been there...i am glad to knw u and ur family are safe..and extremely saddened by the sad way ur driver had to pass away..may him and his son rest in peace and be granted passage to jannat...and u are rite the entity that keeps us safe is far far greater than those trying to harm us...may Allah give these ppl some sense and may He continue to protect us and all those and that we hold dear.
Rumana Husain
Sep 20, 2011 11:35pm
My heart goes out to you and your family Nausheen. Your questions are all valid: 'what is it?' I went through a near-death situation 9 years ago - the car bomb outside the US Consulate in Karachi, June 2002, in which 12 persons lost their lives and over 50 were injured. I was inside that building, visiting just for a few minutes when it happened...can't ever forget that i was about to step out...
Razia Dadabhoy
Sep 20, 2011 11:51pm
Nausheen,after reading your article ,I could feel how you and your family went through those few minutes.I wish you and your family good health and happiness.May Allah bless you with more than what you have lost.It was really sad to know about Anwar bhai and his son.May their souls rest in Janntaul Firdous.Ameen
Madiha
Sep 20, 2011 11:56pm
Government must compensate you all for loss. Thanks for sharing.
MC
Sep 20, 2011 11:57pm
A person as influencial as you and your husband have better chance to bring the change as compared to your maid or driver who are struggling to survive. And by bringing the change I dont mean to write more blogs.
Arslan Shaikh
Sep 21, 2011 12:02am
So sorry for your loss. May Allah protect you and your family.
ROGER
Sep 21, 2011 12:14am
The million dollar question is , why muslims kill muslims.
Shabbir
Sep 21, 2011 12:23am
I've been planning to immigrate back to Pakistan for the last 2 years. Everytime, I read something like, I look at my kids and wonder... should I?
shams
Sep 21, 2011 12:29am
A very touching piece, Nausheen. Unless the people rise up and come to the streets, nothing is going to make things better for Pakistan. The people have to take their destinies in their own hands.
Samina Akbar
Sep 21, 2011 12:47am
A very thought provoking article. I am glad you and your family are okay. I pray that your children are not traumatized by what they saw for too long (Aameen). I just wish and pray that in the near future we can get our beloved country back from the clutches of these lunatics.
Mushal Zaman
Sep 21, 2011 12:56am
Miss Manjhi, I don't know if you remember me, but I used to come to you for literature tuitions in 2009. When the blast occurred Abeera (your former student) and I thought of you and wanted to call and find out but didn't have your number, Alhumdulliah you and your family are fine! Please let us know if we can be of any help.
nabila murtaza
Sep 21, 2011 12:56am
May Allah bless you and ure family and all of us with strength and faith to go through this hard time.
Md Wasim
Sep 21, 2011 01:05am
Nausheen, Excellent description of pain though you vitnessed and gone through that pain...we need to understand why such useless wars are faught on innocent lives....need to catch up actual culprit who radicalize suicide bomber...we need to stop supporting radicalization of pakistan..
Amaal Ebrahim
Sep 21, 2011 01:15am
You're are brave and wise. Glad to read a first hand experience and a perspective that is focusing on the positive. Material will come and go... only your soul is eternal. If we were all soul conscious in this world, we would be living a peaceful, powerful, harmonious and loving life. INshahallah you will recover with the grace of Allah.
asq
Sep 21, 2011 01:18am
this has really touched me.. so heartening to hear this..
Suren
Sep 21, 2011 01:52am
i am in Indian in Toronto, Canada . My grandparents were from Lahore, Pakistan .My father and mother were from pakistan and spent their childhood there . I grew listening stories about Lahore from my father . After a long long time I have read something that is best possible combination of reporting and putting the human emotions in the best words and ways possible ! a Great Job Nausheen ; Need to learn so much from you . Read more of you if possible . For Now I am impressed and an admirer.Excellent writing skills ; so much human you are !
T. Khan
Sep 21, 2011 02:41am
Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. We are sorry for your loss - Anwar Bhaie & his son. May ALLAH always bless your family and rid the country of Pakistan from this senseless acts of voilence.
Ali Jafri
Sep 21, 2011 02:43am
Thank God you survived, and May Allah(swt) bless the sould of Anwer Bhai and his son. Now think of the thousands who have perished in much the same way and with same ruthlessness all over Pakistan. YOU the slient majority need to WAKE UP, please WAKE UP and do something. These murderers are now coming to your door steps, and there is no one to stop them. Our government does not care. We the PEOPLE need to rise and take back our streets, cities and our beloved COUNTRY!!!!
abida rahmani
Sep 21, 2011 03:12am
Thanks Allah that he saved you all. You are absolutely right about this meaning less & aimless war who is taking such a great toll & what to gain?
Falcon
Sep 21, 2011 03:26am
Nausheen Sahiba- Must say that I am at loss for words. Words can not describe the pain your family has gone through. We sincerely pray that you and your family are safe.
Tanveer Khan
Sep 21, 2011 03:30am
So sorry to read this. May God protect you and the family. Just thinking it could be my little kids.. anyone's little kids. What has gone into us? Have we gone completely mad?
Hussain
Sep 21, 2011 03:30am
May Allah always keep you and your family in his protection sister. A very heart renching story. Allah is with the patient inshallah
Faraz
Sep 21, 2011 03:38am
I feel for you and it wrenches my heart to think of the sheer scale of this pointless "war". Who is fighting it, who is winning and who is losing is all unclear. My condolences on the loss of your driver and his son, and on a side note I hope you will continue to support his family financially.
Taimur
Sep 21, 2011 04:30am
"Usually I wake up only one of the two maids, but I don’t know what came over me, I insisted they both wake up because I needed them." I stopped reading after this line. though I am saddened by the loss of life, the injuries sustained, and the psychological harm.
Jules
Sep 21, 2011 04:53am
A profoundly sad story as I sit here in Toronto and read this. It is an indictment of what is terribly wrong with the state of the union. I hope for better and more peaceful days ahead for Pakistan, the country of my birth.
Haroon Bux
Sep 21, 2011 05:21am
I think its part of political chaos which the US wants to create in Pakistan. Events like this diverts the attention of the people from the drones attacks.
Saadia Moosa
Sep 21, 2011 07:46am
Thank you brave Nausheen for sharing your experience with such clarity and detail. When these stories are reported in the media the human element and impact on all affected parties is always missing. The children growing up in Karachi over the last 10 yrs especially need extra reassurance and emotional support for all the violence they are involuntarily exposed to. They are the innocent victims who will feel the effect of these traumatic experiences for the rest of their lives. Our leaders have failed in their responsibility to provide a safe and secure homeland to the children of Pakistan. All our children will benefit from grief couselling on a long term basis. Their innocent minds cannot fathom the devious and barbaric motives of the perpetrators of such violence. May Allah give peace and comfort to you and your family and may those who have lost their lives rest in peace.
Amina Hamza
Sep 21, 2011 07:48am
Oh god! I can only imagine the terror and the shock you went through. I watched it on TV and was devastated with the amount of loss in terms of people, structure and emotions this single act of cowardness caused. The other day i visited the place, and the amount of force this bomb had was visible with the destruction it caused. You are right, Allah has his ways, there were some who had to go and some who passed by un hurt. Please give a sadka for yourself and your family.
Uzma Saeed
Sep 21, 2011 07:58am
Nausheen, all this time I was wondering how horrific this must have been for the next door neighbours of the targeted attack. Now I know it was yours. My heart goes out to you, the poor driver and his son. How terrible and traumatic for your little kids specially to have gone through this and see the house shattered. The house must be a no go area after the high impact blast. To make it all over again...for no fault of your own! Am so glad you and your family members are safe and escaped unhurt. It all comes down to the safety of your family. If they are fine, all is well. I wish you the best.
Fauzia
Sep 21, 2011 08:07am
So glad your family is intact, may Allah keep everyone (especially in Pakistan) safe, Ameen.
Rummana Salahuddin
Sep 21, 2011 08:16am
OMG; I admire your composure, you have got some talent. Wonderfully and promtly written, can somebody translate this piece for those killers. I am sure you and your family will come out of this. Our heart goes to yours and your driver's family. Beside this I would encourage you in writing. Take care.
Haffsah
Sep 21, 2011 08:30am
I am really sorry for you, your family and the people of Pakistan that are going through this hell and the worst part is the leader of Pakistan have no remorse what so ever for its people! I am happy that your lives were saved, and pray that Allah give you guys the courage and strength to move on.
shumaila adeel
Sep 21, 2011 08:56am
GOD BLESS U nausheen infact GOD bless everyone on this beautiful earth .
Adnan Ansari
Sep 21, 2011 09:26am
This war not just killing us physically but morally murdering us. Similar, devastations are felt by people of other parts of Karachi where rule of political parties, mafia and target killers unleashing similar terror on them DAILY.
Farrukh
Sep 21, 2011 09:29am
Well done guys. I salute you for your bravery and courage under fire. May Allah make it easy for your family, especially the kids and for all those that are directly affected by this act of savagery. You are with us in our prayers, good wishes and thoughts.
Imran
Sep 21, 2011 09:51am
Very well written Nausheen. Thanks be to Allah that you and your family escaped with your lives. I wish the perpetrators of this evil act be caught and given an exemplary punishment.
Afifa Jeelani
Sep 21, 2011 10:15am
Alhamdolillah that you and your family is save. May Almighty protect us all.
Robin Mitha
Sep 21, 2011 10:21am
A very touching story of what seems to happen almost daily in Pakistan. The question that begs to be answered is what was the motive ? Why was this Police Officer targetted ? And also how do such people afford such houses ? What have they done to earn the wrath of the people behind the attack.....while many rumours circulate ........ the truth will stay under wraps as always....as the root causes go unadressed. On a more positive note atleast the writer and her family survived, and the courage shown by her and the children is an example for all......we look to Allah to protect us......
Sharma Anil ( India
Sep 21, 2011 10:30am
Shocking ... when it comes out from a survivor.
Awais Khan
Sep 21, 2011 10:33am
Everyone is affected by the terrorism incidents. Karachi especially is in the grip of terror.
Dr Ambreen Usmani
Sep 21, 2011 10:41am
Dear Nausheen,, i just cannot express my feelings but i am grateful to the AL Mighty that you and your family are find. Pls send me your cell no so that i may speak to you. Take Care, love Ambreen
I. Zubeir
Sep 21, 2011 11:00am
SubhanAllah that all of you escaped & survived what must have shook up the children. Indeed "the one who saves is greater than he who plans to kill" Wonder when our country will be left alone, its been too long and too much. Best wishes.
Shilpa
Sep 21, 2011 11:06am
God Blessed your Family ... no more words to say ...
Walie
Sep 21, 2011 11:19am
So touchy and emotional, may Allah's help be with all of us. I can't even imagine what you & your family would have gone through. May Allah keep all of us in his Iman & Hifazat. Allah hamara hami-o-nasir hoo (Amin). Stay strong sister stay strong.
Samia Khan
Sep 21, 2011 11:37am
May Allah help you, your family and that of the driver to overcome this trauma. When will these people realise that they are not forwarding the cause of Allah but are killing His people. May Allahs wrath fall on all working with such organisations.
iIshrat Salim
Sep 21, 2011 12:04pm
Only the sufferrer can understand the meaning of life....may Allah swt protect us ALL.....
samreensohaib
Sep 21, 2011 12:11pm
ALLHAMDULILLAH,u all are saved.Our prays are with you.
Love from India
Sep 21, 2011 12:16pm
May god protect you and your family... wish you good luck with lots of love.
Karthik
Sep 21, 2011 12:17pm
It is very horrifying for someone to go through such mindless violence. I pray and am happy to almightly that your family was secure and there was no loss apart from material loss.
PEACE WANTED
Sep 21, 2011 12:23pm
thank heavens you all are fine, the children must have really gone thru some trauma. May Allah protect us all from these savages, ameen
fatimah
Sep 21, 2011 12:33pm
This could be any of us. These times teach us to live for the moment and do our best. Atleast we will be remembered fondly and in kind words. On the flip side I wonder what depths of misery the suicide bombers have slid too and how they are being brain washed to do something mindless. Carnage is always motivated and feeds on insecurities of those in power. May Allah seize such people and give them hidayat and return the same gift they left on our children and families. Ameen
shumaila rajput
Sep 21, 2011 01:01pm
I had heard about the damage but actually realised it through your article . All my prayers for you and Sir Shahzad Dadabhoy.May Allag give peace to your drivers family.
Nadeem sddiqui
Sep 21, 2011 01:02pm
Almighty Allah has saved you and your Family, thanks to Allah, Give Sadqa, my sorrow and condolence to the family to all who died from this fatal attack. May almighty Allah rest their souls in heaven and bring the culprits to justice here & at his court. May God Save our Country. Ameen.
Suraiya
Sep 21, 2011 01:28pm
As i sit in peaceful Copenhagen reading your article, i am filled with sorrow for all of you living in our Karachi, especially all the children it also makes me think about All those people who are going through this trauma almost everyday in other parts of Karachi, people who don't have the means to express their experience in words Like You did, so i thank you on their behalf. Praying for my country and family always.
Murtaza
Sep 21, 2011 01:30pm
Hats off to your courage and sanity. Our thoughts are with your family.
Mahi
Sep 21, 2011 02:18pm
well its really sad what happened to ur driver and his son i donno what was dilema involved with his death however u guys are safe and sound , 7 of u being alive indicates the true fact behind "Jisse Allah rakh usai kaun chakhai !" But indeed I wish Allah aisai loagon ko nesto naboot kardi who only kill innocent people !
Kaleem Kirmani
Sep 21, 2011 02:30pm
We are just across the road from you - the solid fixtures of our house caved in and there are similar photos of the devastation to share with family members abroad - shattered glass, disfigured iron grills, misaligned dented and cracked walls. Amidst all of this Allah Almighty's angels protected the residents but for the shattered demeanor, disfigured fortitude, misaligned dented and cracked composure the horrifying cuts and telling bruises are small wounds to get away with. Time has moved on, fear does not let us sleep well at night, the welding hammering and grinding of repairs keeps us awake all day - but hopefully those who run our country are sleeping through this as well and as sound as they sleep through everything else that shatters the nation’s hope, disfigures national pride and misaligns dents and cracks their nationalism.
Arshad Shaikh
Sep 21, 2011 02:44pm
I dont know why all this happening with my country and who is doing this all for what cause..i am happy that whole family is alive, May allah have mercy on those who had died in bomb blast for this nation.
waqas moghul
Sep 21, 2011 02:53pm
im sorry to hear about your story miss, and also glad to hear the family is safe, you taught me GP in A levels.
Aniqa
Sep 21, 2011 03:03pm
Candle vigil for moid...... Please share with others as well...................Pleaase it is my humble request to all of you this is the time to stay united and do something for the terror that surround all of us... Please come forward for the safety of your kid and for the kid who died.... show to these animals that we are alive and we will fight and you cannot prevail when we unite !!!! The vigil is going to happen in front of washington international school on 24th september 2011. timming around 6:30 pm...... please bring candles and lighter
Hummad
Sep 21, 2011 03:10pm
The article brought tears to my eyes as I could feel the anguish you and your family might have felt. But broke out in a smile in the end with a word of praise for the ALMIGHTY for his mercy on your family. Mrs. Dadabhoy the way you have borne this loss is quite commendable and I wish you and your family all the best, AMEEN!
Fatima
Sep 21, 2011 03:27pm
Dear Nausheen, you are very right that the savior is far more times stronger than the killer ..... you are too brave and MA handled all this calmly... you are one of those who have come out of the death scene .. should be grateful to Allah .. Thumbs up !
Ali
Sep 21, 2011 03:48pm
Every experience is a platform of learning.....your experience !! i hope uve learned ALOT of aspects about life and its unfortunate events...wish you get to implement alot of change by your words as you have did..ALLAH bless you.
M.Faizan
Sep 21, 2011 04:06pm
Nausheen you and your faimly had a great luck that day. Because the blast that took place on monday had an intensity to take everything with it . Inshallah your injuries will be healed soon.
N.M Mitha
Sep 21, 2011 04:11pm
Its a hair raising incident and my sympathy is with Nausheen and her Family. Its a cold world war against identity, and we are still very much backward to fight with others for our identity. I hope and pray that you and your fmily shall come out from this trauma very soon and live normal life. Ameen!
Arif Jan
Sep 21, 2011 04:12pm
This war cannot be won with emotions...not with bullets, not with a whole lot of killing. You cannot fight a terrorist. he has no emotion, no religion, no mentality. Just an idealogy. So all Pakistanis have to ask themselves: How do we fight an idealogy? How did Britain fight the IRA? How did Japan defeat the Red Army? Nausheen to you and your family: March on with your head and zeal for life held high and dear. Tell your kids: The Best is yet to come, because they must believe in a better tommorow. May Allah protect Pakistan.
Hira faisal
Sep 21, 2011 04:38pm
Dear nausheen my heart goes out to you and your family. Alhumdullilah all of you came out safe and alive! Mashallah you have a strong family and so brave to face such a situation and talk about it. Though I live a few blocks away I was shaken however it cannot measure up to what you and your family have been through. I pray that Allah bless you and your family like this always and keeps on giving you strength. Regards hira faisal
Zafar Khan
Sep 21, 2011 05:50pm
Dear Nausheen, I learned about your tragedy a few hours after it happened through a message from my good friend in Virginia Zubair Vaid. There are no words to express the shock, sadness and sorrow at the senseless killing of Anwar Bhai and Arif and on the damage the cowardly act did to your and other houses. I pray for your steadfastness and safety and hope that you will brave this situation with your perseverance and courage. MAy Allah give you strength to go through this period of trial.
ruzuzuzu
Sep 21, 2011 05:53pm
'What heaven does he think he’ll go to I wonder'. The sucide bomber contemplated to take his own life and of some collateral deaths. This is a sin and it will close doors of heaven for that bomber. May Allah bless us all.
Sofia
Sep 21, 2011 07:24pm
....miracles do happen! Just a friendly advice, give an unlimited, infinite love and confidence to your kids, keep assuring them that you all are safe and alive, cause as you very rightly said, materials are irrelevant, but the love and confidence is all what they need right now, by you and the family and that will have a huge impact on their innocent minds which are shattered out of fear right now, and will help them revive their confidence back. I have faced the same here in the capital, when my 5 year old daughter was devastated by the blast and was highly insecure for quite some time. May Allah (SWT) protect us all, Ameen
Sayed Mehdi
Sep 21, 2011 08:07pm
This is a one hack of a life long memory and you can describe as "walking over glass pieces bare foot, hopefully you guys will comfort the family of decease driver and his son. As we are entering in a phase of civilization to a fanatism and extremism of illeteracy.we as a people have a prayers for you and your family and all the others who are suffering from this menace, May Allah bless all.
Maryam Dadabhoy
Sep 21, 2011 08:20pm
"I have always known that the one who saves is greater than he who plans to kill, but this is the first time I have evidenced that God sends angels to carry us through." Mashallah, a very profound statement. May Allah make this time easy for you and especially your children. Our duas are with you MD, Toronto
zulfiqar khaki
Sep 21, 2011 10:34pm
Nausheen my dear! i have great respect for people like you, you are ray of hope for our society. i am ready to sing: I dont like war...it ends up with monuments! God bless all of us.!
Kim
Sep 21, 2011 11:59pm
Im so happy you and your family were severly injuried but I know Mentally it will be in your minds forever. God bless you and your family and all those affected by this terrible act. May God watch over all and give them strength and wisdom to get through this terrible day and loses of life.
kim
Sep 22, 2011 12:03am
Im so sorry for my typing error. I meant: Im so happy you and your family were NOT severly injuried...
Security and Peace a
Sep 22, 2011 12:57am
May Allah give your family strength and may your family come out of this trauma quickly and completely Inshallah. It is about time that we begin to differentiate between loyalty to country and speaking the truth. We belong to a larger world. It is our duty as Muslims to condemn with one voice all those acts motivated by unislamic motives, whatever they might be. Muslims all over the world, including Pakistan, must join hands to speak against what is truly unislamic but committed in the name of Islam and that which is truly Islamic with the potential of bringing security and peace to Muslims and non-Muslims alike.
Mustafa Teli
Sep 22, 2011 01:01am
You are all very brave.
Sarah Sohail
Sep 22, 2011 01:57am
i have no words to express my feelings ....this is one big thing we all are always scared of living in pakistan....people die natural deaths but bomb blast is something which has no reasonable explanation to it ....every kid knows what happened to all the schools where they seek their future and what you all are going through ..Alhumdullilah you and your family r safe ...all my Prayers for you and your family and your driver's family ....may Allah give you and your family strength to go through this time overcome this trauma.
Rashid A. Chotani
Sep 22, 2011 03:20am
Nausheen - Thanks for sharing. I am sure this was not easy for you to write this let alone go through this horrific experience. Unfortunately, you, your family and the people who work in your household will carry these scars for the rest of your lives - the only consolation is that most of you made it through without too much bodily harm. My sincere sympathies for the family of Anwer Bhai, whose family as a result lost probably the only bread earner and a child. My ALLAH give his family and your family the strength to endure the losses you have all sustained. All of you are in my prayers, Rashid
sidhas
Sep 22, 2011 06:00am
It hurts to see loss of lives anywhere but especially in Karachi. I am glad that you gathered courage to write about your experience. Thank you.
Sinan J Bhatti
Sep 22, 2011 07:03am
all i can do is pray to god that you all are doing fine. take care.
Imran
Sep 22, 2011 07:23am
Dear Nausheen, We just got the news from Fatima. It took me a moment to realize that you were Nausheen Manji. We were all in shock and devastated to read the news. Alhamdulillah so glad to hear that you and your family are all okay. Our heart goes out to the driver and his son. Amee sends her dua. May Allah have mercy on all of us. Our prayers are with you and your entire family. Please email or call if there is anything you need, anything at all. -Imran Usmani
Anila
Sep 22, 2011 10:08am
My father was killed in 95 in karachi,u guys r lucky,even after so many years the pain is fresh in our minds.
Asim
Sep 22, 2011 11:14am
All I can say at this difficult moment in time is that May Allah show us and everyone the true path. Our religion is of peace it is the people who don't understand our religion who have made it into a violent religion. Patience, humbleness, caring for our neighbour, good communitiy relations, respecting our parents and elders, these are all part of our religion wich we seem to have forgotten. Nowadays it is all about Hate, Hate and more Hate for each other. May Allah help us so that we can help ourselves to the correct path in life whichever it may be.
Bilal Samara
Sep 22, 2011 11:19am
Ameen ! Rashid u saying rit ...
Soman
Sep 22, 2011 11:58am
Most of the comments are thanking God for saving the lady and her family. Please spare a thought for the poor driver and his son. What was their fault ?
Farrukh Naeem
Sep 22, 2011 01:16pm
May Allah always keep your family & every family safe(Ameen) Please pray 4 peace in our country.
Mariyam bari
Sep 22, 2011 03:53pm
Dear nausheen this is so scary and sad at the same time..I mourn for all those innocent ppl who died in this incident..I had tears in my eyes when I saw the picture of the teacher and her 8old son who became victims...may allah give u and your family strength and courage to face whatever loss you had!
parvez ahmed
Sep 22, 2011 04:41pm
Dear Fellow pakistani I feel so sad reading your account of that bomb blast my thoughts and pryers are with you Thank God that noone in your family was seriously hurt count your blessing.
Abdullah Aslam
Sep 22, 2011 10:19pm
I just saw your driver a day or two before the blast Miss Nausheen. I still can't believe He's no more. I hope you and your family's safe.
Maheen Surya
Sep 22, 2011 11:43pm
Your articles makes me think, why? why innocent people?? the situation of this country leaves much to desire. Listening from Miss hadia about you was devastating, especially about your driver, May his Soul Rest in peace. You're brave to survive this shock. May Allah always bless you and your family like He did this time.
CHEEMA
Sep 23, 2011 11:13am
It is a tragedy. It is hard to understand how a Muslim can justify committing this kind of senseless killings. It is certainly not Jihad. You cannot even call it revenge since many innocent lives were lost who were not involved in any kind of conflict. This is so unfortunate that some foolish people are blindly following leaders or groups who claim themselves to be the defenders of islam with their distorted interpretations. Allah is JUST and He will certainly do justice to all those who are committing these killlings. After all the return of all things is to HIM.
pervin Nasir
Sep 23, 2011 02:18pm
Yes the rulers are sleeping peacefully behind their secure houses .whenever such blast happens ,the walls of their houses are raised more grills are installed, public roads are closed,more security forces are deployed.The people living in the area are pushed to their houses ,small traders are banned to persue their small businesses.
Naveed Khan
Sep 24, 2011 01:13am
Our daughter attends one of the schools right across from your residence (CAS) and we were just headed down to the car when we found out what had happened. While we are very glad that this incident did not take place an hour later when the schools would have resumed their full out schedule, our heart goes out to the mother and son who became victims. I am a Crisis and Emergency Management specialist and have been trying to work with the Administration on risk reduction for such disasters but so far nothing made of it. I have dedicated my most recent post 'When Terrorism Strikes Too Close To Home' to Moeed and his mother Mumtaz. Please read, forward, comment and share. Most of all, sound off your concerns with safety and security in the future.
Najeeb Anwar
Sep 24, 2011 08:20pm
Muslim or not, I cant even think of someone who will do such a thing to other humans. But still to my amazement we see all this happening in places we least expect it to happen. A residential area is a place even the military try not attacking. It is good to hear that the writer;s family came out of the ordeal unharmed, but still precious lives were lost and damage caused which remains irreparable. My heart goes out to all those who lost loved ones, even the family of the brain washed bomber who blew himself thinking he'd get a place in heaven. A word of advice for people playing the blame game, lets pray and pray in a manner Allah will listen to. The government has been sleeping ever since, and there's no point blaming them for ever bad that happens. Even if zardari stood in front of the bomber, he wouldn't have stopped for him. In a country where the media shows how the people who run the government exploit the nation everyday and nothing happens, do you really think that your response to an article is going to change the way they think?
Ayesha Amin
Sep 25, 2011 03:48am
May Allah guide us and protect us in these war-torn tragic times. May He keep our children safe and healthy. Me He restore peace in our beloved country where the worker can reap the rewards of his labor, children are educated, humanity exists again, religion is more than rituals and war...may we all live to see that day....Aameen. AH for your and your family's safety and condolences for your loss...
Faheem Mohamedi
Sep 25, 2011 07:47pm
May God guide us to the right path and way from killing. This is the biggest sin in Islam. No religion tells to kill, I don't understand who these people are ?
Muneeba
Sep 26, 2011 08:19pm
May Allah give you hidayat and you write more.May the the ones who are gone rest in peace! Ameen
Shahzad
Sep 27, 2011 03:31pm
The question still remains that whether people who are under threat should be living in the residential areas, after this incident would it be wise to move back into the same house if the neighborhood still hosts people who are under threat. Additionally there are 4000 or so students who come to this part of the area every single day and the threat still remains…..
Sukaina Juma
Sep 28, 2011 01:26pm
Lovely piece.
MSINT
Sep 30, 2011 12:08am
Credit to Nausheen for writing on such a disaster.No Govt is going to do anything.It is the people who are to do something.Why can't all the people,really all, come out and sit in protest stating that they would not go back till the solution is arrived at. Tell the terrorist also, the same thing?
Adnan
Oct 02, 2011 01:40pm
DearNaauseen let me share my experience about this Bomb blast The Bomb Blast on 19th September 2011 was really a devastating event. I returned to Dubai earlier that morning after a wonderful weekend with my family. After landing on Dubai airport I switched on my mobile , I started getting SMS may be 6 or 7 and also 3 miss call alert from my wife mobile. After reading the first SMS about Bomb blast outside the CAS,( my one kid is in CAS and other one in Lahore grammer ) I was overpowered by tears and they started rolling down, I collected all my courage to call my wife. She respond and told me that they are all safe but also informed that there is massive damage and number of people died in that blast is clear not clear. Later that day I heard about the death of a young student of Washington International along with his mother and your driver with his son. Only thing which we can do is Pray to ALLAH to protect us from these evil persons and their evil doing.