A heart patient cries out for help

Published Sep 17, 2011 09:16am

With only two days left, two-month old Ahmed’s parents are desperately looking for donors to raise Rs500,000 for his surgery.

LAHORE: As only two days have been left in the operation of a two-month old heart patient, his poor parents are desperately looking for donors to raise Rs500,000.

Though Muhammad Ahmad’s poor parents have found a doctor, the only cardiovascular surgeon in Punjab, they can’t bear the expenses of the specialised procedure.

Ahmad’s story is similar to the story of three-year-old heart patient Safwan, son of a cell phone technician, who got treatment in India a couple of months ago.

“The surgeon of a local private health facility has agreed to operate upon my son next week, but this procedure is far risky than the one in India. I have even no money to pay to the local surgeon,” says Ahmad’s father Muhammad Saleem. He said doctors warned him that any delay could prove fatal for Ahmad. Ahmad’s heart disease was diagnosed when he was just one month and 25 days old. A senior cardiac surgeon at the Mayo Hospital told this scribe that the baby should have been operated upon immediately after his birth. He said now Ahmad needed to be operated upon within a week.

“You have no more time to waste, as the colour of your baby is turning blue. Go back, arrange money and reach India for his operation,” doctors at Children Hospital, the only full-fledged healthcare institution for specialised treatment of children in Punjab, told Ahmad’s parents on their last visit to the health facility.

Saleem first took Ahmad to Mayo Hospital from where doctors referred him to Children Hospital for the opinion of a paediatric cardiologist and a paediatric cardiac surgeon. The doctors at Children Hospital told Ahmad’s parents that their baby had a ventricular septal defect, arterial septal defect and transposition of great arteries TGA (which means his right side blood vessels are on left side and left side blood vessels are on right side).

On doctors’ advice, Saleem contacted India’s leading cardiac surgeon Dr Rajesh Sharma. “Sir I’m a citizen of Pakistan (Lahore). My baby is suffering from TGA. As treatment is not available in Pakistan, we have to travel to India, but I cannot bear all expenses because I am just a shopkeeper. Sir, I do not want to lose my baby. For God’s sake, please give me concession in your operation fee. I can buy only tickets and medicines. Sir, please! I do not want to lose my baby who is just two months old. As time is short, please help me for God’s sake,” Saleem wrote to Dr Sharma through an e-mail.

Dr Rajesh replied: “TGA will require ASO surgery. It will cost IR220,000 for 12-day stay in general ward at Escorts Heart Institute in New Delhi. If you are interested, please send the names of all who will travel along with latest echo report”.

Saleem told Dr Sharma that he could only arrange Rs150,000 by selling some household items and repeated his request for a concession, but Dr Sharma said: “I am afraid it is not in my purview to reduce these charges, as the hospital does not have a discount policy. Travel and stay of relatives is not included.” This was Dr Sharma’s last reply to the poor family.

Keeping in view the financial position of Ahmad’s parents, Dr Sharma advised them to consult paediatric surgeon Dr Asim in Lahore, saying that he could also perform the similar surgery but with greater risks, as the Indian health institute was fully equipped with sophisticated infrastructure and trained staff.

Owing to his financial problems, Saleem agreed to contact Dr Asim, who will operate upon Ahmad at a private hospital on Monday.

For contact details of the family, please call:

Jamil Ashraf - Dawn Lahore

Phone: +92-42-35758120 Ext. 3095

Mobile: +92-321-4639007

Sehar
Sep 17, 2011 01:11pm
How can i contact him?
AC
Sep 17, 2011 01:11pm
No contact details have been mentioned to help the poor family.
b
Sep 17, 2011 01:18pm
how can we contact the family if we want to help?
Sep 17, 2011 01:28pm
Now this article is in a noble cause, but like everybody said, you should mention the details of how to contact the family.
Sajjadullah Khan
Sep 17, 2011 01:35pm
Please publish the bank details for transferring the amount. Life and death are from ALLAH. But surely, we have to try our best and certainly can't afford to lose a baby just because his parents can't afford to pay.
J
Sep 17, 2011 01:48pm
Contact details please?
Hasan
Sep 17, 2011 02:14pm
do he have any account number????
dr f hussain
Sep 17, 2011 02:23pm
Please send me the the details of bank account. People are ready to help. It will take few days to transmit money from Australia. On another note; as far as i know TGA can be operated at Aga Khan Hospital in Karachi. Has the family thought about this option.
Hasan
Sep 17, 2011 02:39pm
Here are account details: Mr. Saleem Shahzad MCB, Account Number 5824-3 (Branch Code 0187), Timber Market Lahore Hospital Name is Ittefaq Hospital Trust Doctor Name is Dr. Muhammad Asim Khan Paediatric Cardiac Surgeon
nouman
Sep 17, 2011 02:44pm
i think people searching for bank account should contact immediately with dawn news so that to contact that baby's father.
nouman
Sep 17, 2011 02:48pm
i am a student and cant help them but surly praying for the long life of baby .kash i had money to help them ...kash.all those who have strength i advise them to please help them immediately.please never make it too late.please
nouman
Sep 17, 2011 02:53pm
For contact details of the family, please call: Jamil Ashraf – Dawn Lahore mobile-0321-4639007 phone-042- 35758120
Tabish
Sep 17, 2011 03:00pm
For contact details of the family, please call: Jamil Ashraf – Dawn Lahore Phone: +92-42-35758120 Ext. 3095 Mobile: +92-321-4639007
arslan
Sep 17, 2011 03:18pm
All those people who asked how to contact his parents please call Jamil Ashraf – Dawn Lahore
faisal
Sep 17, 2011 03:36pm
hey guys dont u read the phone number of jamil ashraf dawn news paper, if u wana help just call him, what ur asking here...
Asif Ali
Sep 17, 2011 03:37pm
I have already contacted the person. One person said he will pay the full amount to the hospital. we are told to contact him by 20/09/2011 only in case if he does not . contact no is +92-321-4639007 . Regards, Asif bhatti from Australia
Ahmed
Sep 17, 2011 03:44pm
The number mentioned at the end of the article is of Jamil Ashraf. He will note down the money that you are intending to send, and will give the number of the father, Saleem Shahzad. Saleem is the person who will give you his bank account information. This procedure is such so that enough amount (not more than 500K) gets deposited. Hope this clarifies the confusion. Mashallah many people are intending to send in money, which is great, and bodes well for the nation we live in... Philanthropy is what is needed at this hour. I just sent in my share towards an MCB branch in Lahore.
faisal
Sep 17, 2011 03:49pm
president can have heart check up in LONDON and this kid will die in Pakistan coz he is poor...
raika45
Sep 17, 2011 06:04pm
All right Dawn you have got the response. Now get your act together and consolidate everything and get the show on the road. Send the kid for treatment.
Johar
Sep 17, 2011 06:11pm
Please contact Dr. Rehman in Peshawar (Hayat Abad). He is heart specialist trained in UK worked in Lahore Jinnah Hospital and now started his own private hospital. I am sure this treatment can be carried out in his hospital.
omar
Sep 17, 2011 06:21pm
even if a person IS able to provide 100 rupees, that means, v only need 5000 people to pay and this will lead to a healthier and happier life for the child. If v do help out the child, it will mean blessings for an eternity from Allah, if any1 can provide me with the son's number, it will be highly appreciated
vishnu
Sep 17, 2011 06:34pm
Hi, I think you should have contacted NARAYANA HRUDAYALAYA in Bangaore,India as It is an NGO unlike Escort hospital,delhi and would definitely help you as they have a tie-up with jet airways for concession in airfare http://www.narayanahospitals.com/
Sri
Sep 17, 2011 06:44pm
I am sure there will be people in India too who will be willing to help, I can pay 1L - if the chances for survival are better in India, please do the operation here. Sri - Mumbai
Riaz Noor
Sep 17, 2011 07:42pm
just give us the acct,#
ali
Sep 17, 2011 08:55pm
Waleed Khan
Sep 17, 2011 09:51pm
Contact Tahir Heart Institute in Rabwah (Chenab Nagar). It is one of its kind in Pakistan and is free for those who cannot afford to pay. If they do not have a specialist for this procedure, i'm sure they will let the surgeon from Lahore operate at their facility and save most of the money that would be paid to the OT in private hospital. Also the medicines and recovery stay after the surgery will be free. It is run by the famous Maj. Gen ® Prof Dr Muhammad Masudul Hasan Nuri SI (M). Contact details are at http://tahirheart.org/index.php. May Allah bless the child with full recovery. Amin.
sarah sajid
Sep 17, 2011 10:35pm
well we as a citizen of pakistan shd help those guys in the time of need because this is a generation which will b a supportive hand 4 pakistan they r the future of pakistan sooo we cnt c em in this condition
Enter your name...
Sep 17, 2011 11:39pm
I as a fellow human would like to help as much as i and my family can pls provide the account number of the bank thanks
Babur
Sep 18, 2011 01:15am
To all who want to help the family. please contact the hospital and doctor in Lahore and pay their charges. This will guarantee that money is delivered to the right place. Thanks
Alex
Sep 18, 2011 01:57am
Also, please post a link to post this on face book. So more ppl can be contacted
Muhammad Adeel
Sep 18, 2011 04:15am
I'm willing to pay a money .. any detail of account no or direct contact detail of the person or hospital account detail on which this child is admit I can transfer the money..
mrs.aasim
Sep 18, 2011 05:05am
My child has the same problem but as condition varies from person to person she is stable after a BT shunt when she was 3 months old..alhamdolillah she is now 8 yrs, We have been consulting DR.KALIMUDDIN AZIZ widely known around the world.He does ECHO at KARACHI DIAGNOSTIC HOSPITAL ,SHAHEED-MILLAT ROAD KARACHI
Dr Asim
Sep 18, 2011 08:51am
This is Dr Asim and I am amazed to see the response and appreciate the comments, one must be thinking that the private hospital is charging a lot but its a high risk surgery and likely stay will be around 2 week, but Ahmed is one of so many kids we see, as he was fortunate that he got his request published, others do not have this oppertunity, the solution is making a non profit Children's Heart hospitals where the treatment should be offered to such patients.I know there are so many pakistanis who are willing to support but there should be some control on how to finance a deserving patient.Please pray for his recovery
Pervez Bilgrami-New
Sep 18, 2011 09:40am
i tried to contact Mr. Jamal on the given mobile no.: +92-321-4639007 but my was not picked can any one tell me about the current situation of this boy.
Blitzer
Sep 18, 2011 12:55pm
Sri, I would like to thank you very much for your offer of help. It's people exactly like yourself who are a glimmer of hope in today's world of chaos and selfishness. In any case, it looks like the child is going to get operated upon this Monday as time is of the essence. My best wishes for a safe operation and a speedy recovery to the child. Blitzer
Ahsen
Sep 18, 2011 02:06pm
Salam. Is there any further financing required? Please reply to this post if it is the case. Others, please pray for the health of this child. regards
Dr. Aisha
Sep 18, 2011 05:19pm
This is shameful that Dr. Asim who trained at Aga Khan can speak to the hospital for a lower cost. I know Dr. Asim did his residency and fellowship at Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi. He can do at a fraction of the cost given the problems even those in AKUH encountered with welfare and al. If AKUH can do with welfare when they are an expensive hosital in a South Asian metroplis then Ittefaq Trust Hospital can too. What trust hospital is this????
IM -London
Sep 18, 2011 05:58pm
I phoned Mr Jamil Ashraf of Dawn on the mobile mentioned and got through to him on fist attempt yesterday. He updated me on the situation. There are brothers & sisters who have pledged to help Inshallah the baby will get the necessary op if those pledges are comitted. Well done Dawn in bringing this one case to our attention and I note Dr Asim's comments that this is but one case that happens to have made it to the headlines. Help the others as well please.
syed
Sep 19, 2011 01:04am
Sri, I am a Pakistani and would like to thank you for such a great gesture. You truly are a beacon of light for others. Regards, Syed
Raffay
Sep 19, 2011 01:45am
what is the latest on this baby's surgery? I want to donate but to which account should this be done to? How much more money is required? Bringing this to our attention is commendable but there should atleast be a way of transferring money over. Please keep us updated!
Bushra
Sep 19, 2011 02:18am
I also want to pay some money for the treatment of such kind of poor people.
hafsa
Sep 19, 2011 03:48am
someone recently told me about this, i want to share it with u all. Heart Surgery in India, free of cost for children(0 -10 Yrs) Ph:0091-80-28411500. It might save someone's life...
Qasim Abidi
Sep 19, 2011 05:22am
Please provide the bank account details since nobody is answering the cell phone...
Hasan
Sep 19, 2011 10:04am
I just talked to Mr. Jamil. He told me that operation is probably delayed for 1 week because child is a bit stable. Further 180,000 PKR has been collected in the account. One person committed to deposit full amount in hospital today or tomorrow. Mr. Jamil will talk to Dr. Asim today and will ask about post-surgery treatment/medicine and its charges so if some one is paying full amount so the amount in acount can be utilized for medicine. Rest he assure me that he is auditing all money and he will assure that amount is utilised some other place if not required here. Further i am a bit surprised that what type of TRUST this hospital is if it is not giving relaxation in surgery.
Srihari Prasad / Ban
Sep 19, 2011 10:30am
I would like to help.Can we know the status of the baby now? Also, we can try for treatment at Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bangalore.
Anonymous
Sep 19, 2011 11:13am
Ahmed, Inshallah your operation will be successful. My prayers go out to you and your family.
Am
Sep 19, 2011 11:36am
Just Spoke with Mr. Jamil, The Cost of operations and expenses of recovery shall be finalize by tomorrow 2:00 PM ( PST),I would request to provide the bank detail with swift code. Praying for the Kid, May Allah (SWT) gives him long and healthy life.
V
Sep 19, 2011 11:55am
Contact the Indian embassy for a medical Visa for the child's treatment. They can also help the parents with identifying a hospital in India which will operate on the kid. Many lives have been saved this way in the past.
Pramod
Sep 19, 2011 12:52pm
God Bless Muhammad Ahmed, and help him get recover very soon, Hope all the medical expenses are taken care, we are very eager to contribute to the noble cause, Please post the status of Ahmed, after his operation which will be undergo today (Monday). We are very eager to hear that the operation is successful and Ahmed is Heal and Healthy. Pramod, Hyderabad, India
Faraz U I
Sep 19, 2011 02:07pm
I have just spoken to Mr Ashraf and have been told that there will be greater certainty regarding funds by tomorrow afternoon - someone has pledged Rs 500,000. I strongly recommend calling Mr Ashrad again tomorrow to ensure that the funds were indeed received and any shortfall is taken care of
sudheer
Sep 20, 2011 02:57pm
I would highly recommend "Narayana Hridayalaya" in Bangalore. The money can be arranged when he is in Bangalore. A call to Times of India office and they can put an article.
SRK
Sep 20, 2011 06:02pm
Jamil Ashraf - Please update if funding source came through. Tuesday was the deadline please advise.
Maj
Sep 21, 2011 05:37pm
Just spoke to Jamil Ashraf, the latest update is that the guy who promised 5lakhs has not deposited anything, shame on him for false promises..all those who wanted to help please contact the father on 03334953252 or Jamil..
Ash Mirza
Sep 26, 2011 08:29am
I want to thanks editor Mr. Jamil Ashraf for this article. GOD BLESS YOU..........Keep up the good work. Ash Mirza